Sam Bradford A Cardinal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people take the "quarterback mentoring" thing a little too seriously. It's not the starter grooming the guy behind him about how to perfect his throwing motion or footwork, but more about how to act like a true pro, to set an example on amount of study time and work that goes into the gameplan, to stay in shape, to read defenses and call out coverage, etc.

agreed.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What happened to you pal? Come back. This boat has a place for everyone @Mitch

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is funny, regardless of how you feel about the signing.

I like the signing.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phillip Rivers and Ben Rothlesberger will make $15 million next season...and that's what Sam freaking Bradford will be making??!!
Was someone as good as Rivers or Roethlisberger available for $15M?

$15M/year is at the very bottom of starting QB scales. Plus, those guys got huge bonuses that are being spread over the length of their contracts, so just looking at salaries is completely misleading.

$20M/year average seems to be the going rate for an adequate starter. Cousins just set the top end at $28M/year for an above-average starter. What the heck did you expect?!?

...dbs

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shocked that Shane likes the signing based on previous posts years ago about Bradford's sucking. To me that is a huge positive to this signing. I like Bradford a lot but of course his durability is a HUGE concern.

Now that SK has gotten his starting QB the next step is to shore up the Oline. After that then add a WR or two and we are going to be competitive this year.

Getting a QB in the draft is essential and hopefully it will be in the 1st rd after trading up several spots.

Go Cards!!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah.. Wasting an otherwise solid lineup for a season in the hopes of landing some unnamed QBOF is a great plan.
“Solid lineup” LMAO.

What’s solid to you? Playoff team? Hell no. Winning team? Nope.

Ceiling of this team with Bradford at the helm is 8-8.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i really don't get the sky is falling stuff here. We're rebuilding folks. We should have started doing so last year.
Then don't spend 15-20 mil on bridge QBs. Go all in on the draft. This isn't the move of a rebuild, it is the move of a team that thinks they can compete.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
“Solid lineup” LMAO.

This roster is better than last year's 8-8 squad by sheer virtue of the guys returning from injury. If Bradford plays like he did in 2015, this is a playoff team. And once you're there, anything can happen.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Then don't spend 15-20 mil on bridge QBs. Go all in on the draft. This isn't the move of a rebuild, it is the move of a team that thinks they can compete.

Agreed they are gonna run DJ into the ground and try to win on D. They are gonna try and follow the jags blueprint from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
His yards per attempt was 7.0, which is good for 19th in the league in a season where he set the completion percentage record in a season.... so yeah he kind of did....
There is a difference between checking down and throwing short, quick passes though. Minnesota's running game was abysmal in 2016 and necessitated all of the short passing. Sure, some of it was check-downs but most of it was short and quick by design and due to porous pass-blocking that didn't allow longer developing plays. 2017 saw Dalvin Cook invigorate the running game and Bradford and the receiving corps reaped immediate benefits.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
If the cards really are high on Josh Allen wouldn’t Bradford be the wrong guy to learn from? They are the exact opposite QBs.

Maybe the opposite style QB is exactly what Allen would need. Allen already has all the physical tools you look for. Maybe Bradford can teach him the mental, the reads, the communication etc.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is a difference between checking down and throwing short, quick passes though. Minnesota's running game was abysmal in 2016 and necessitated all of the short passing. Sure, some of it was check-downs but most of it was short and quick by design and due to porous pass-blocking that didn't allow longer developing plays. 2017 saw Dalvin Cook invigorate the running game and Bradford and the receiving corps reaped immediate benefits.

Agree. A short passing game can serve as the 'running' game with a poor OL and sub-par running backs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bradford is a bridge. Stay at 15 and see how things fall. If a Qb we like is there take him. If not take the BPA. If we like a guy like Falk or Lauletta then make a move up to draft him. We have plenty of picks to move up without costing us two #1's and a 2nd round pick.

Unless the Cards brass truly believe there is a sure fire all pro Qb in this class. If that's the case do whatever it takes. But remember, if we trade all those draft picks and we chose wrong it will be the new Cleveland Browns.

Also keep this in mind. I don't see us being the No risk it , no biscuit anymore. I think Wilks put a whole lot more emphasis on protecting the Qb by design. I see alot less empty backfield and 7 step drops, which probably shortened Palmer's career.

That is a slippery slope to three years of 6-10. Doing what Jacksonville did is a lot harder in the NFC. Not impossible, and we still have the draft, but Keim is going to have to make a BIG move in the draft or hope that Wilks can coax a top 5 scoring defense out of our personnel.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
“Solid lineup” LMAO.

C'mon man....next time read before you hit post reply. What on earth makes you think this

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In this division what do you think the ceiling is with the teams as it currently is?

You said 8-8 which is what we are. The returning DJ....Bradford..we haven't even hit the draft and your saying 8-8 ceiling. Lol I'm lost with your post. Is it a joke? You just hate Bradford? What is it

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry you weren't the original poster my bad. But question is the same to you since I think you may be thinking the same thing.personally I'm thinking 11-5 if we don't get ravaged again by injuries

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I hate this signing. Waste of money. Anyone but him! I would rather burn all our picks for this year and next to move up for Allen. I’d roll the dice with Teddy. I’d take anyone...anyone...besides this walking commercial for United Healthcare. He sucks and I lost a lot of faith today.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...gnings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell#Bradford
Bradford will be joining an offense changing its stripes in Arizona, given that the downfield attack of Bruce Arians will presumably be replaced by a shorter scheme under new offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. McCoy helped rebuild Philip Rivers' career by making a similar scheme change, and the Cardinals do have a series of useful underneath targets in Larry Fitzgerald and David Johnson. He also has an offensive line which might remind Bradford of those 2016 Vikings.

Ideally, though, you don't want to pay a guy who is going to throw the ball 6.5 yards down the field every play $20 million per year, which is what the Cardinals are doing with this two-year, $40 million contract. It seems incredible that Drew Brees is making only $5 million per year more than Bradford, but here we are. Arizona will be right up against the salary cap before having addressed its offensive line or signing Johnson and Markus Golden to extensions, which doesn't seem ideal.

The most likely scenario is that the Cardinals draft a quarterback in the first round and use Bradford as a bridge quarterback to stay competitive while they develop him. Maybe that works out, but it's also fair to wonder whether they would have been better off signing someone like Josh McCown for far less and using the savings to help out the line. Arizona is paying Bradford as if he provides a level of security when few quarterbacks in the league are less certain.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Sorry you weren't the original poster my bad. But question is the same to you since I think you may be thinking the same thing.personally I'm thinking 11-5 if we don't get ravaged again by injuries

11-5? How the hell are we beating the rams once? And we are easily losing at least one to SF. So we are going 8-2 outside the division this year give we sweep the Seahawks. Just doesn’t make sense given this roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser