Sam Bradford A Cardinal

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Agree. He’s not wrong though.
Which is why they changed the CBA. ALL players were paid too much in the first round coming out of college back then. It isn't Bradford's fault. He hasn't skipped games or tanked games or left early or given up. He doesn't try to get injured, that's just bad luck. Why criticize any player trying to get as much as they can get, while they can get it?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Which is why they changed the CBA. ALL players were paid too much in the first round coming out of college back then. It isn't Bradford's fault. He hasn't skipped games or tanked games or left early or given up. He doesn't try to get injured, that's just bad luck. Why criticize any player trying to get as much as they can get, while they can get it?
More of a testament to the teams than it is to Bradford. The teams are the ones signing him to these ludicrous contracts, even though he's done nothing to warrant them. Keim is just another one of the dumbo's that fell for the bait.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
More of a testament to the teams than it is to Bradford. The teams are the ones signing him to these ludicrous contracts, even though he's done nothing to warrant them. Keim is just another one of the dumbo's that fell for the bait.

Don't agree but we will see. Stay tuned.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This.

I won’t begrudge anyone getting paid for nothing. I will judge the idiots who keep doing it though.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think "nothing" is overstating things quite a bit. When he's healthy and when he's been on a decent team, he's shown that he can perform at a top 10 level. Maybe not elite but many teams would love to have that kind of production. They have rolled the dice on him staying healthy but I don't think they've been burned by him not performing. Solid to good QB play gets you paid in the NFL.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Highlight reels can be misleading but as I mentioned before, check out the 1:33 mark and the pass that Bradford hangs in there to complete. He has made many of these types of passes since the trade to the Eagles and doesn't get much credit for it. I suppose the criticism is warranted but IMO, it isn't balanced. Bradford does a lot nice things at QB.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think "nothing" is overstating things quite a bit. When he's healthy and when he's been on a decent team, he's shown that he can perform at a top 10 level. Maybe not elite but many teams would love to have that kind of production. They have rolled the dice on him staying healthy but I don't think they've been burned by him not performing. Solid to good QB play gets you paid in the NFL.
Well...he's never had more than 4k passing yards in a season...never led a team to the playoffs...has a losing record...his most TD passes in a season is a staggering 21...has a career QB rating of 85...and half of his career he's been out due to injury. If you were to see all that info without a name attached, and see that they were getting paid $20M...you would probably laugh in disbelief.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Highlight reels can be misleading but as I mentioned before, check out the 1:33 mark and the pass that Bradford hangs in there to complete. He has made many of these types of passes since the trade to the Eagles and doesn't get much credit for it. I suppose the criticism is warranted but IMO, it isn't balanced. Bradford does a lot nice things at QB.

Bradford is a pure passer. He goes thru progressions and anticipates throws. Before the injuries he was mobile and had a great arm.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Well...he's never had more than 4k passing yards in a season...never led a team to the playoffs...has a losing record...his most TD passes in a season is a staggering 21...has a career QB rating of 85...and half of his career he's been out due to injury. If you were to see all that info without a name attached, and see that they were getting paid $20M...you would probably laugh in disbelief.
Well, considering Bradford isn't "getting" $20M, he's getting $15M with incentives, I don't find it particularly unbelievable. You're right that he hasn't put up gaudy numbers but should he have transcended his personnel and teams each year? Some of it is definitely on Bradford. He is slow to trust his receivers and isn't aggressive enough all the time. But he's been on some really bad teams. And bad situations. Some wouldn't consider the actual circumstances but I think it's fair to temper some of his numbers because of where and when he's played.

Steve Spagnuolo, Jeff Fisher, Chip Kelly(the year he was fired)...not the best of opportunities and situations. Doesn't explain it all but I think there's more there than just looking at his career numbers.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Bradford is a pure passer. He goes thru progressions and anticipates throws. Before the injuries he was mobile and had a great arm.
With all of the QB talk, I was curious as to how this year's crop of QB's stacked up to past players. Darnold clearly has the best grade on NFL.com with a 7.0.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position
Next best is Rosen at 6.1. Then everyone else at 6.0 or lower. But there wasn't any context as I hadn't been following their grades each year. With Bradford being signed, it gave me a vet to compare this class to so I was reminded to look it up. Bradford's grade coming out was 8.7. That's pretty hard to believe there's that much of a difference between the top guy this year and the top guy in 2010. Either Bradford was a lot better prospect than I realized or this year's group is even less inspiring than I thought.

i still think there will be less QB activity early in the draft than is expected. I've even seen some mocks with the NYG foregoing QB and taking Chubbs instead.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Says the rams fan. I’d be happy too if I was a fan of other NFC West teams.
Honestly from a non-biased stance, i think a bridge QB like Bradford is a good idea right now for AZ.

As a Rams fan i WANTED you guys to sign Cousins or Keenum, Foles etc....one of these big money long term QB's. You've got alot of roster to rebuild before that window opens again and tying up tons of cap and guaranteed money on a QB would have made that very difficult.

Keim looks to be doing it right IMO. I don't like it as a Rams fan but there it is.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
So after 391 posts on the subject, I'm guessing the optimists are still choosing to be optimists, and the pessimists the same.

Obviously we can all choose what we will, and I get that Bradford is a legitimate NFL QB when he's on the field. Not great, but ok. But can we stop with this "if he's healthy" or "when he's healthy" stuff? He just flat out isn't. Literally coming out of college, he missed his entire last year and NFL teams during that draft were questioning his durability. I can't fathom that we're still questioning anything. He absolutely is not durable. His shin bone is connected to his leg bone by a ticking time bomb.

I'm all for general optimism, and I'll watch and cheer. But every year, some sucker fan base says "player X has shown flashes for the past 8 years, if only he can focus and be more consistent" or "if player Y can just stay healthy which he's literally never shown he can do, then we can maybe be above average!" Sometimes the guy who can't be consistent just isn't consistent, and the guy who can't stay healthy, won't either. I legitimately hope he lasts 6 games.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m very happy with Sam - think he is a better QB than cousins or any other available QB - yes he has knee problems - but Sam is the most accurate most capable QB available that could be top ten possibly top 5 franchise QB production stats - starting NOW ! Yes he could outproduce Palmer and be an upgrade on the Cardinal roster.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This roster is better than last year's 8-8 squad by sheer virtue of the guys returning from injury. If Bradford plays like he did in 2015, this is a playoff team. And once you're there, anything can happen.
This team also has a very questionable coaching staff compared to last year’s.

Mike McCoy is one of the worst coordinators/coaches in football and he’s supposed to help develop Bradford play better?

Phillip Rivers, Trevor Semien, Brock Osweiler all suffered the highest sack rates of their careers playing under Mike McCoy.

Sam Bradford is the most injury prone player to ever play football (min 6 years longevity).

Put those together and it’s not a recipe for success.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The thing I see throughout that reel (and granted is a highlight reel) is how quickly Bradford gets the ball out. Not his release, but how fast he picks his target and goes. Imagine an offense here last year predicated on quick strikes that allowed for chunk plays coming as YAC, not on an injury prone QB regularly being left to twist in the wind with 7 steps drops, long developing throws, and a poop OL. Maybe CP is starting in 18 if that was the case....

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m very happy with Sam - think he is a better QB than cousins or any other available QB - yes he has knee problems - but Sam is the most accurate most capable QB available that could be top ten possibly top 5 franchise QB production stats - starting NOW ! Yes he could outproduce Palmer and be an upgrade on the Cardinal roster.
What is his rating on the Leenart scale?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser