Sam Bradford A Cardinal

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not really enjoying this and everywhere I look everyone is laughing at us :(

Reaction score
Sam Bradford is a very good QB. We will have a winning record this year & compete for the division title. Imo this was the best case scenario. Sign Bradford & a vet back up & draft the QBoF. We needed at least 3 QB's on the roster. We now have 2 of the 3. Darnold will be our 3rd. You guys can bitch all you want about this signing but it was a good signing imo. I'm pretty sure most of you would have bitched no matter who we signed. ;)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More of a testament to the teams than it is to Bradford. The teams are the ones signing him to these ludicrous contracts, even though he's done nothing to warrant them. Keim is just another one of the dumbo's that fell for the bait.

Last I checked, the Bidwill's were not running a "not for profit" incorporation. If they could have signed Bradford for vet minimum, they would have done so. They know the market... you don't.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sam Bradford is a very good QB. We will have a winning record this year & compete for the division title. Imo this was the best case scenario. Sign Bradford & a vet back up & draft the QBoF. We needed at least 3 QB's on the roster. We now have 2 of the 3. Darnold will be our 3rd. You guys can bitch all you want about this signing but it was a good signing imo. I'm pretty sure most of you would have bitched no matter who we signed. ;)
people would have bitched if we signed tom brady.

that being said, you can't ignore bradford's injury history

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not really enjoying this and everywhere I look everyone is laughing at us :(

Yeah the hate is strong right now. I saw at least 4-5 guys on ESPN and NFLN literally laughing at us about Bradford. The tweets from players. Many of the articles going around. The comments sections were particularly bad. Up/down ratio's on most of those comments were off the charts. Like 99 to 3 stuff like that.

Also on the reports on Glennon. Then more when we got both Bradford and Glennon.

Just about everyone's bagging on us. A few sane voices out there. The rest are dogpiling us.

I hope we use it as fuel.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So after 391 posts on the subject, I'm guessing the optimists are still choosing to be optimists, and the pessimists the same.

Obviously we can all choose what we will, and I get that Bradford is a legitimate NFL QB when he's on the field. Not great, but ok. But can we stop with this "if he's healthy" or "when he's healthy" stuff? He just flat out isn't. Literally coming out of college, he missed his entire last year and NFL teams during that draft were questioning his durability. I can't fathom that we're still questioning anything. He absolutely is not durable. His shin bone is connected to his leg bone by a ticking time bomb.

I'm all for general optimism, and I'll watch and cheer. But every year, some sucker fan base says "player X has shown flashes for the past 8 years, if only he can focus and be more consistent" or "if player Y can just stay healthy which he's literally never shown he can do, then we can maybe be above average!" Sometimes the guy who can't be consistent just isn't consistent, and the guy who can't stay healthy, won't either. I legitimately hope he lasts 6 games.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

He has been healthy probably as much as Evil Kneival was

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah the hate is strong right now. I saw at least 4-5 guys on ESPN and NFLN literally laughing at us about Bradford. The tweets from players. Many of the articles going around. The comments sections were particularly bad. Up/down ratio's on most of those comments were off the charts. Like 99 to 3 stuff like that.

Also on the reports on Glennon. Then more when we got both Bradford and Glennon.

Just about everyone's bagging on us. A few sane voices out there. The rest are dogpiling us.

I hope we use it as fuel.
Part of the problem is that everyone is viewing it as a straight-up $20M dollar contract. I was getting ripped on by my buddies, but when I clarified that we weren't just dropping $20 million guaranteed in his lap, the tune changed.

It's still not a "cheap" contract, but I don't think we were realistically paying much less for the guy we anticipate to take the majority of the snaps this year.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that everyone is viewing it as a straight-up $20M dollar contract. I was getting ripped on by my buddies, but when I clarified that we weren't just dropping $20 million guaranteed in his lap, the tune changed.

It's still not a "cheap" contract, but I don't think we were realistically paying much less for the guy we anticipate to take the majority of the snaps this year.

Yeah, most view it like we gave this guy a 5-7 year contract. That we are announcing this guy as our QBOTF. Not a 1 year thing. If it doesn't work out... very little lost on our side. A stop gap.

It sucks we were in this position, but I think we made the right choice once in this position.

The big question is, if Cousins doesn't at least take the Vikings to the NFC Championship, did they make the wrong move?

There's a disconnect in the media right now from most writers/on air personalities/commenters.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, most view it like we gave this guy a 5-7 year contract. That we are announcing this guy as our QBOTF. Not a 1 year thing. If it doesn't work out... very little lost on our side. A stop gap.

It sucks we were in this position, but I think we made the right choice once in this position.

The big question is, if Cousins doesn't at least take the Vikings to the NFC Championship, did they make the wrong move?

There's a disconnect in the media right now from most writers/on air personalities/commenters.
I don't think Cousins has to immediately take them that far... it all depends on bounces of the ball. He does need to at least win the division and go to the playoffs though, and win at least one (I'd count a first round bye as "winning one" for the sake of this argument).

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

I thought the $20M was fully guaranteed if he's on the roster after training camp?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I thought the $20M was fully guaranteed if he's on the roster after training camp?

$15 million guaranteed...$5 million in performance bonuses. I think the 2nd year $20 million option might be guaranteed, if he's on the roster at the start of 2019 league year...but I may be wrong on that.

Also, his contract is protected for injury...

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Cousins has to immediately take them that far... it all depends on bounces of the ball. He does need to at least win the division and go to the playoffs though, and win at least one (I'd count a first round bye as "winning one" for the sake of this argument).

I think that's fair. But we all know the media isn't fair. If they don't match last season's performance, there will be articles questioning the move.

Especially if any of Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater do similar or get further.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
$15 million guaranteed...$5 million in performance bonuses. I think the 2nd year $20 million option might be guaranteed, if he's on the roster at the start of 2019 league year...but I may be wrong on that.

Also, his contract is protected for injury...
I haven't seen very many specifics on it, so I'm curious as to what the bonus money entails. Hopefully the extra $5M is simply for completing an entire season...which probably won't happen.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Was someone as good as Rivers or Roethlisberger available for $15M?

$15M/year is at the very bottom of starting QB scales. Plus, those guys got huge bonuses that are being spread over the length of their contracts, so just looking at salaries is completely misleading.

$20M/year average seems to be the going rate for an adequate starter. Cousins just set the top end at $28M/year for an above-average starter. What the heck did you expect?!?

...dbs
This isn’t true. Look at what Keenum is making vs Bradford. Keenum is no doubt a much better QB than Bradford as well. But that’s the difference between having a legend like John Elway being the top executive and whoever the Cardinals have.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
What is his rating on the Leenart scale?

Still think Leinart was ruined by a stupid coach - seen it at the red and white scrimmage in flagstaff and carried on by Whiz - manufactured bs to see how Leinart will respond - several QBs responded the same and Whiz was sent packing- don’t let the door hit you , where the good lord split you - that’s how I respond- nfl is hard enough, encourage don’t kick talent in the nuts.

Sam has accuracy and can make alll NFL throws, processes quick and has 80 career games and a hell of a good QB rating -70% accuracy and has played at elite level in spurts- I trust the team Drs but needs protection, as all QBs depend on.

- and the media is talking crap, $20 million for nothing? He ain’t a nothing screw Peter king - $114 million for nothing ? He has played 80 games! Sam is much better option than we deserve after only drafting Logan Thomas since keim took over -

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This isn’t true. Look at what Keenum is making vs Bradford. Keenum is no doubt a much better QB than Bradford as well. But that’s the difference between having a legend like John Elway being the top executive and whoever the Cardinals have.

Bradford's contract is one-year $15 mil guaranteed with injury protection and a team option for a second year. Denver is tied to Keenum for two years at $36 mil. It's an expensive contract, but not one that's going to set the team back. And John Elway, your top executive, was the genius who lucked into Peyton Manning, but also brought Osweiler in twice and drafted Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemien. Let's not pretend that he's some QB savant. How many games did he win last season?

That "whoever the Cardinals have" has constructed a roster that has the 5th most wins of any team since 2013.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol stats, wins and durability.

Keenum has had one good season, and four terrible seasons - terrible seasons where he had DeAndre Hopkins to throw to. Bradford's stats far exceed his. His win percentage is better, but again, that's heavily weighed by just last year. Before last year he was 5-15. Sure, durability, but for most of his career, when Keenum plays, he's downright awful. Bradford is at least solid when healthy.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Bradford's contract is one-year $15 mil guaranteed with injury protection and a team option for a second year. Denver is tied to Keenum for two years at $36 mil. It's an expensive contract, but not one that's going to set the team back. And John Elway, your top executive, was the genius who lucked into Peyton Manning, but also brought Osweiler in twice and drafted Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemien. Let's not pretend that he's some QB savant. How many games did he win last season?

That "whoever the Cardinals have" has constructed a roster that has the 5th most wins of any team since 2013.

Jesus Christ, stop using facts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser