San Antonio @ Phoenix - Game Thread - Sun. May 6, 2007 - 12:30 p.m. ABC

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mainly good points. I'll even applaud the last one, even though in my heart I don't agree with it. My one objection is the plug for Diaw -- he did have a couple of good moments, but he's just too careless with the ball, and in the second half he was a turnover waiting to happen.

Diaw played better than James Jones, and isn't that what should matter?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, Game 2 can't get here fast enough! Thank God that 4 day break is after game 2.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Mainly good points. I'll even applaud the last one, even though in my heart I don't agree with it. My one objection is the plug for Diaw -- he did have a couple of good moments, but he's just too careless with the ball, and in the second half he was a turnover waiting to happen.

For some reason, the league-wide reputation on Parker is that he can't shoot. It just shows how poor people are at coming to their own conclusions. He doesn't make 50+% of his FGA the last two seasons just driving for layups. Of course he can shoot. Evidently the game plan was to let him bomb away from 18 feet all day, and it was a complete disaster.

Do the Suns EVER win a big Game 1 at home? It seems like, every time they find themselves with HCA in a big series, they gack it up at the earliest possible moment.

Parker seemed auto-freakin-matic from 15-18ft, I would blame that on Marion or sometimes barbosa shrinking away from him too much to stop his drives. If our defense wasn't poo we would play him tight more times, let him drive by the defender, and then have the inside players collapse on him when he is running full speed on the drive or at least just Amare so we can contest the layups.

It is all about timing so you don't leave Duncan open while making parker miss the layup and then boxing out for the rebound.

That is basically what the spurs do. Props to D'antoni for never figuring this out.

If we had KT in there for more minutes and did this we would see a lot less of parkers drives and 15 foot hits, but instead it is going to kill us this series.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason, the league-wide reputation on Parker is that he can't shoot. It just shows how poor people are at coming to their own conclusions. He doesn't make 50+% of his FGA the last two seasons just driving for layups. Of course he can shoot. Evidently the game plan was to let him bomb away from 18 feet all day, and it was a complete disaster.

If it's late in the possession and Tony Parker is shooting as a last option, you give him that shot every time. What you don't want is Parker getting in a rhythm and hitting jumpers off screens. You can't go under the screen -- which is why I thought we put Marion on him.

I think you go with Bell on Parker next time around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we just matchup horribly with this team and DA's stubborness doesn't help that.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
The bad thing is, if pops plays that vaughn guy less we can kiss about 4-6 points goodbye, and pops is smart enough that I bet he will do that next game..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i gotta say, i'm pretty proud of the board right now - no one's at each other's throats wanting to kill each other after a very, very, tough loss. Good job folks!

GAME 2 IS THE SERIES!

DB

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
This childhood fave of mine popped into my head when I saw Nash's nose:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
man, i hated that book...it scared the crap out of me

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
man this sucks.

finals week is this week, and I dont know how Im gonna study until Tuesday

JAndrews

Rookie
Reaction score
well the same old story, different series. Suns rebounds 35 Spurs 49, 14 to 8 in the offense catagory. Second chance points is going to be the story. Parker and Duncan killed them today. Disappointing loss.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think D'antoni should follow Don Nelson's lead. Don't worry about hurting a guy's feelings (Harrington and Ellis), if he is playing like crap then bench him (Marion in this case).

also, It is obvious to everyone on earth other than D'antoni that kurt needs to be playing at least 25 minutes. WHAT THE HELL IS HIS PROBLEM? This man has to be absolutley ******** to coach a game this way. James Jones presence serves zero purpose in this series. Banks would be WAY better than Jones.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
the size , the cohesiveness, the team defense and they never get rattled or give up. just like nash said inthe interview, the suns need to want it a little more. this aint the lakers, it aint dallas, its the damn spurs. they have a good coach and leadership and know how to win a game. i hate them only because we cant beat 'em and its been like that the past few years. i'm not sure without playing perfect games, if we have the roster currently to beat them. if we all think about it, it goes back to what we all complain about: REBOUNDING AND DEFENSE PERIOD! you never hear timmy d talk about being worried about getting in foul trouble because of amare but amare always have to worry about it. really, he should hardly ever guard duncan but besides kt, what choice is there. i know we will get about 2 games from the spurs but it will be a hard pressed situation to win the series but its not the players fault. they are just doing the best with the hand they are dealt. its not luck why we have struggled against them regular and post season for so long but it sucks a**.

JAndrews

Rookie
Reaction score
Is it me or does the bench shrink as the playoffs get deeper for Dantoni. It seems he does not trust his bench players. JJ when his shot is on is another weapon. To me his shot has been inconsitent since signing him. Pressure is on the suns to win home court back. spurs only need to win their home games. This will be a very tough series for the suns. I dont think they will prevail. I think the spurs will take it in 6. I hate to say it.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why were the suns better against the spurs in 03 than 05 and now?

They need to trade nash for marbury!

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
It's one game. Everyone knew this was going to be a tough series and in all likelihood the Spurs were going to take at least one game in Phoenix. If Nash doesn't get hurt the last two minutes could have easily gone the Suns way. As long as the Suns take care of business on Tuesday there is nothing to worry about.

JAndrews

Rookie
Reaction score
Espo I appreciate your positive thoughts, however, spurs have homecourt and the suns need to steal 1. tough enough for the suns to win at home, much less in SA.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B) Classy of Pop not to call it out and force the refs to remove Nash from the court...all he had to do was complain and they'd have had to act on it.

Im not saying one way or the other, but how are you sure of this becuz Nash did get yanked from the game.. Are you sure it was a ref or Pop? I dont know, how are you so sure? Maybe Pop did bring it to the refs attention..

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I really wish we'd put Kurt and Amare out there together more often. We made our run in the first half with that lineup.
Any basketball fans knows that KT was brought in to face the Spurs in the playoffs.

Not doing so isn't just a Coach who is going to live or die with small ball.

It's a Coach making a commitment to the public, then boldly announcing before Game 1 against the Spurs that Kurt Thomas is not going to get any more playing than during the season.

Beyond the Suns not winning their first ever Championship, he has an obligation to the parent of his team -- the NBA -- to head off a Spurs-Pistons final that will draw a small TV audience and put fans to sleep.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05