Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes!!! 11 wins in a row. Papa Grande gets another save. MVP goes to Finley. Huge home run in the 8th. Also props to Hammock, game-winning home run and props also to Batista for keeping the game close for 7 innings.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great news, the Giants and Dodgers both lost today. The Diamondbacks are now four games behind the Giants and one game behind the Dodgers and the Phillies for the wild card.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great series for the Dbacks.
Was out of town all weekend - fortunaely was able to watch some of Sunday's game via satellite.

Webb is nails - complete game shutout!! And Hammock continues to hammer away.

On to Colorado!!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anything can happen in Colorado. You just never know. On the bright side the Dbacks avoid Chacon on this trip. Jennings is tough but Chacon has been pitching lights out...he is 11-4. It doesn't hurt to avoid a teams top pitcher.

Let's make sure we get the series and then hopefully the Dbacks will be in a position to sweep another one. Worse case scenario is a split in the series I hope.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: AZCB34

Originally posted by Tired_Cardinal
I really think Guerrero is available, because of a few reasons. The first being the Expos did not get Juan Gone and the second is he is hurt right now. The last part is his contract I believe is up at the end of the year and he is not playing right now. The Expos would love to get something for him before his contract is up

We would get great hitter for average and lots of power plus add a good glove in the field. In addition since he is hurt right now and with the Expos still being in the race they could easily use a closer, bullpen lefty, and a SS.

I am starting the vote to say trade Womack, Mantei, and Myers for Vladimir Guerrero. I could just see a outfield with Gonzo and Guerrero

Financially I beleive it also fits ? Does anyone know how much each player is to make and what there average contract is for next year

Here is why I do not believe Guerrero is on the market...although if the right deal came along no team should ever refuse a trade. First, MLB owns the Expos but they don't want to own them for a long time. Thus they are looking for a buyer of the franchise who will then move the team to a new city. A player of Guerrero's talent can only help to sell the franchise. Parting with him may make a potential buyer second think his/her plans. He would be the superstar name...or one of the couple superstar names for purposes of selling the franchise

Second, while MLB doesn;t want to lose money, they are going to as long as they own the Expos. So they cannot avoid the loss of money there is little reason to jettison your best player. If things don't pan out near term regarding the sale or moving of the franchise, then you have to hang onto the identifiable face for the few fans in Montreal.

I am not saying I don't want Vlad, I just think it is unlikely MLB will trade him...unless some wild trade comes along that cannot be turned down.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does this lend credence to the Guerrero ideas?

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20030630.html

by Ken Rosenthal
Inside Dish: Changes coming for D-backs

June 30, 2003 Print it

The Diamondbacks are preparing for a massive restructuring as they await the returns of nine injured players by the end of July, but GM Joe Garagiola says right field is the one position the team could upgrade; the Diamondbacks' right fielders rank last in the NL in on-base/slugging percentage (OPS). "It's fair to say that no one has stepped up and wrapped both arms around the job," Garagiola says. ...

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this game being shown in Phoenix tonight? Well I will only be posting here for 45 minutes, then I have a baseball game to go to. Let's get some runs early and keep them coming.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Elmer got the Rockies down in order in the first. Let's hope he can continue that for the entire game.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an interesting line-up that Brenly assembled for tonight's game... This (with the exception of Overbay playing 1B) should be the line-up used until Spivey returns.....

Diamondbacks (44-36)
Lineup
M. Kata 2B
C. Baerga 1B
A. Cintron SS
L. Gonzalez LF
S. Hillenbrand 3B
S. Finley CF
R. Hammock RF
R. Barajas C
E. Dessens P

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised Shea is playing third. I thought he would be at third because of his injury.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Elmer seems to be pitching very well so far. Who would of thought the score would be 0-0 in the third?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following are Dessens' splits at Coors Field from '00-'02, not too bad....

6.75-ERA
2-W
0-L
0-SV
0-SVO
2-G
2-GS
0-CG
13.1-IP
17-H
10-R
10-ER
2-HR
6-BB
3-SO
.327-AVG

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lord, every time I hear Larry Walker's name mentioned, I just want to cringe.... I'll definitely attend a cpl games next week and heckle him to the highest degree possible.....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, does this Matt Kata continue to impress night in and night out... I added him to one of my Fantasy League teams lastnite and the move has already paid off......

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeahhhh!!!!! C'mon Dbacks.... Gonzo goes deep to right field... 3-3..... You just have to believe!

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, for some inane reason, I added Dessens on another Fantasy League of mine, overlooking the Coor's factor... Oh well, it's 4-3 Rockies bottom of the 6th on a Todd Helton HR.... Dessens is already at 100 pitches, so Brenly should remove him ASAP

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blame Brenly here. Dessens had clearly started to lose it in the 5th. Still, it ain't over.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must question that double switch Brenly made... I know Hammock bats RH, however, he's been driving the ball quite a bit over the past cpl wks....Dellucci tends to take too many pitches and isnt aggressive offensively and sure enough, he struck-out...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carlos Baerga.... What an addition he's turn out to be.. Some daring base-running by Kata.... 4-4 Top of 7th.... Another run w/2-outs.......

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm back. Tie game in the 8th, let's get some runs!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate Larry Walker. This is not looking good.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Mantei is being brought in....So, I guess he'll be setting up for Valverde, which is definitely an excellent move on Brenly's part......

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mantei? With a man on 3rd, one out, and hasn't pitched recently. Brenly is really ptting the pressure on. Don't like it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake