Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By the way, the Futures All-Star game is on ESPN2 and the Diamondbacks have 2 players playing. Chad Tracy and Edgar Gonzalez are the players.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Papa Grande gets the Giants out in order in the 8th. Mantei should pitch the 9th for the save and get the Diamondbacks five games behind the Giants for first and one game behind the Phillies for the wild card.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win! Great way to end the first half. Down 4-0 they score 7 unanswered runs. MVP goes to Webb. He could of really got rattled after the first inning but he settled down and got the win. Props also go to Gonzo, Cintron, Finley and the bullpen.

The NL better watch out for the Diamondbacks in the second half. Randy, Koplove and Junior are close to returning and Curt is already back.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, good win. The way Webb settled down was impressive for a rookie.

Five games out of 1st, two games out of the wildcard spot, after a 3-13 start to the season. Not bad.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep posting here Alan. The more the better because the second half is going to be a fun ride. I we can get as many Diamondback fans to post during the games as possible because I like the interaction. I like to know what everyone is feeling.

I know BC is frustrated with Overbay right now and he has a good reason. Lyle has only 24 rbi's and the Diamondbacks should be getting more production from that first position.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Ok, good win. The way Webb settled down was impressive for a rookie.

Five games out of 1st, two games out of the wildcard spot, after a 3-13 start to the season. Not bad.

We are only one game behind the Phillies for the wild card with today's win.:)

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alan
I need to guarantee victories more often :)

I guess your guarantee didn't need those hidden clauses after all!!:thumbup:

Nice win for the D'Backs - salvaging one victory was very important against the Gnats, and it also put us one game back in the Wild Card chase!!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hired Goon
Dodgers got Burnitz in exchange for 3 minor leaguers.

Not good for us - gives the Dodgers some more Offense.

Mets reportedly get three minor leaguers in the deal

The New York Mets unloaded another of their high-priced players, trading Jeromy Burnitz to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday, according to the outfielder's agent.

Jeromy Burnitz may be high-fiving Shawn Green and Paul Lo Duca after the All-Star break.

"As far as Jeromy is concerned, he's really looking forward to the opportunity to contribute in a place where there's a contender,'' agent Howard Simon said.

The Mets will receive two or three prospects for Burnitz, according to Simon.

Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said the team might have something to announce later Monday. The Dodgers didn't immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

The trade was first reported by the MSG Network, which said Los Angeles is sending Double-A infielder Victor Diaz, Double-A right-hander Joselo Diaz and Class A right-hander Kole Strayhorn to the Mets.

New York, last in the NL East at 40-53, began its rebuilding on July 1 when it dealt second baseman Roberto Alomar to the Chicago White Sox.

Burnitz, eligible for free agency after this season, had the right to block the deal because of a no-trade provision in his contract. Because of the trade, he gets $500,000 in addition to his $11.5 million salary.

He is batting .274 with 18 homers and 45 RBI. Burnitz broke a bone in his left hand April 22 when hit by a pitch from Houston closer Billy Wagner and was sidelined until May 23.

Los Angeles (49-44) is third in the NL West, 7½ games behind division-leading San Francisco. The Dodgers have the best pitching staff in the major leagues with an ERA of 3.06.

But the Dodgers, who have lost 15 of their past 20 games, are last in the NL with 328 runs and a .244 batting average. The Dodgers' 59 homers are the fewest in the major leagues.

Outfielder Brian Jordan had season-ending knee surgery last week and first baseman Fred McGriff is on the disabled list.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Burnitz, he isn't going to provide enough offense to do any damage especially with Shawn Green stinking it up (uh, knock on wood, don't want him to get it going)

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder with this trade if the Diamondbacks will be more eager to make a trade?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curt gets the second half going against the Padres. What stinks is the game begins at 2:00PM and I'll be at work. I'll try and peek in during the game.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
July 17th Game

Curt Schilling vs Oliver Perez

Craig Counsell 3B .268 3 15
Matt Kata 2B .344 5 11
Luis Gonzalez LF .310 18 67
Shea Hillenbrand 1B .345 6 21
Steve Finley CF .308 15 47
Alex Cintron SS .300 7 26
Chad Moeller C .309 6 23
Quinton Mccracken RF .236 0 15
Curt Schilling RHP .083 0 0
(4-4, 3.27)

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was Finley's home run a long one? At work reading play-by-play on CBS Sportsline.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Was Finley's home run a long one? At work reading play-by-play on CBS Sportsline.

At work reading play by play on SI.com :D

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess we're in the same boat. Anyone watching the game on TV?

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
not good. curt's keeps getting behind in the count. 1 run already scored. his pitches don't look like their breaking very much...