Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Gonzo is going to have a big August. By the way, Sammy is a big whiner.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised Baker did not pinch hit Clement.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
I think Gonzo is going to have a big August. By the way, Sammy is a big whiner.
\now go to your room for the sammy comment:D

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn it. Another great move by Brenly. 2-1 Cubs in the 7th.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
This thread is a jinx. We need to send it to the scrapheap along with the Diamondback bats.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by mark1
The D-Backs suck.

You can jump off the bandwagon but I know I'm not and there are others who won't either.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Brenly is a moron. Why steal Mondesi?

So much blame, so little time...

1) I know the manager can't swing the bat or pitch, but BB has made some decisions that are just as bad if not worse than anything our offensive offense has done, and the STUPID steal attempt by Mondesi was yet another one!!

2) Please tell me how our team is any worse with Overbay, Hammock, or even Chad Tracy on it - it's time to bring them up from Tucson, even if it means dumping Grace & Myers to do it; we cannot afford to wait any longer to shake up the lineup!!

Amazingly, we are still only a few games out of the wild card spot, but we better find some bats to equal our pitching arms soon!!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wondered why he pitched to Sosa with first base open? Sosa had hit the ball hard everytime up.

I think now that they are coming home they can cut into the Phillies lead. The Phillies now come out west to play the Giants.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by mark1
The D-Backs suck.

Frustration sets in.

Just enjoy the season, guys. I know it's hard... the Dbacks tried making a season out of it with that 12 game streak, but the cold truth is that this team has glaring weaknesses on D and the pop at the plate.

We're lucky they even put in a 12 game streak.

Perhaps they can make a late season run, but I'd be happy to see solid improvement out of the young guys.

Get Cintron all the reps at SS. Move Hillenbrand back to 3rd. Call up Overbay. Spivey needs his reps at 2nd. Get Good back into the rotation.

The future is bright. A little seasoning, and the West is ours.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks are in a playoff race and Brenly is playing Grace for the sentimental reason. Grace is hitting under 200. Overbay was doing better so why not call him back up and release Grace? Put Shea back at third.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
WE coul a least have Grace come up with tendonitis until September 1st. It was boneheaded to try to have Mondesi steal and to pitch to Sosa but the bottomline is that they have to be perfect in order to win in every other area. Tme to shake things up. NEed to get a new hitting coach as we are swinging at too many 1st pitches. Looks like a team that is desperate.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
I was talking to a Dodger fan at work, and he said that Mondesi used to have an automatic green light to steal - if by some chance he tried that stunt on his own tonight in the 9th inning, I would sit his butt down for at least a week; however, I still believe that was a brilliant BB move myself. :rolleyes:

Did we used to swing at so many first pitches in the past, or are that problem merely magnified because of our lack of offense? Clement was at 92 pitches, and should have been worked in the count when Cintron came up and hacked at the first pitch he saw in the 8th - I was really shocked when Finley actually took some pitches in the ninth!!

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think the steal was such a bad idea. Mondesi is their best base stealer and they needed to get a guy in scoring position. With the weather like it was, he would have scored on any hit to the outfield and possibly even an infield hit if the ball slipped out of the infielders' hand again.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Originally posted by IndyDback
I was talking to a Dodger fan at work, and he said that Mondesi used to have an automatic green light to steal - if by some chance he tried that stunt on his own tonight in the 9th inning, I would sit his butt down for at least a week; however, I still believe that was a brilliant BB move myself. :rolleyes:

From today's AZ Central:

" The situation became so desperate in the ninth that Raul Mondesi tried to steal second base on his own with one out and a 2-0 count on Steve Finley. Mondesi was thrown out.

"(Catcher Damian Miller) made a perfect throw," Mondesi said. "You have to make it happen. I got a good jump."

Manager Bob Brenly said: "(Mondesi) was on his own. Rather, he did that on his own. It's unfortunate because you never know what's going to happen with the at-bat. . . . But part of why we traded for him was his aggressiveness on the basepaths.""

Mondesi DID take off on his own, and although BB didn't sound too happy about it, he justified the steal attempt by calling it "aggressiveness". Somehow I don't see BB sitting Mondesi down like I would....oh well, it's over and done with - - get those bats going, boys, and make up some ground!!

GO D'BACKS!!!

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad somebody is trying to make something happen, we aren't driving in runs we need to get people in motion on the base paths, to complain about a guy trying to be aggressive is crazy IMO, I would rather we lose games trying to get in position to score then if he sits at 1st and then we need an extra base hit to score him. Two biggest problems with this team IMO lack of speed and lack of aggressivness, we are playing like an old team station to station except we don't have 3 to 4 big hitters that drive in the runs with HR's, when Finley, Gonzo, Hillenbrand, Mondesi all are going well we would be in fine shape, but with the way they are going you need to try other means to score the runs.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinetopred
I'm glad somebody is trying to make something happen, we aren't driving in runs we need to get people in motion on the base paths, to complain about a guy trying to be aggressive is crazy IMO...

If BB wanted the runner in motion, he should have either tried a hit & run play, or just sacrificed Mondesi over - IMO the situation & field conditions (muddy infield) were wrong for Mondesi to steal on his own, but if it would have worked, I wouldn't be saying a word about it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
The D'backs are done...put a fork in 'em
Now if we can just get Skorp to post that - the Dbacks first run coinsided with Skorp's remarks to that affect.