Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
Every word out of Jerry and Joe have been "save, cut, and cheap". Why would you ever think we're gonna go out and get a major player?

Also Beltran isn't a FA to get anyways.

Where did I mention Beltran was a free agent? If you know anything about Jerry, he will make a big trade. He knows this team is a few bats away from contending for the title. I don't buy they're not going to spend anything.

I look at the Red Sox and they went out and got David Ortiz and Bill Mueller during last year's off-season. I remember Peter Gammons reported last December that Boston management said they were not going to spend anything. You can't believe everything you read.

The Diamondbacks might have some deferred money to pay but they also lose some big contracts. Also, they will be getting TV revenue this year, which will help.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Where did I mention Beltran was a free agent? If you know anything about Jerry, he will make a big trade. He knows this team is a few bats away from contending for the title. I don't buy they're not going to spend anything.

I look at the Red Sox and they went out and got David Ortiz and Bill Mueller during last year's off-season. I remember Peter Gammons reported last December that Boston management said they were not going to spend anything. You can't believe everything you read.

The Diamondbacks might have some deferred money to pay but they also lose some big contracts. Also, they will be getting TV revenue this year, which will help.

Ok then, I guess we'll give up Chad Tracy and Scott Hairston to the Royals to get Beltran?? We'll also sign Carlos to that $15M+ 10 year contract extention so we don't lose him to FA after next year too?

Mueller and Ortiz cost BOS about 1 Danny Bautista for the year. HArdly "major" acquisitions.

We're already getting the full amount of TV money this year, but we've been getting partial amounts for 5 years now. TV money is not the answer to our money woes.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who said Tracy or Hairston? They have a bunch of some good young arms like Patterson and Good. Also, if there is a hitter they trade it would probably be Overbay. Also, the Diamondbacks had put Spivey thru waivers earlier this month but he did not make it. I think the Diamondbacks might trade Junior or even Kata in a package deal.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who said Tracy or Hairston? They have a bunch of some good young arms like Patterson and Good. Also, if there is a hitter they trade it would probably be Overbay. Also, the Diamondbacks had put Spivey thru waivers earlier this month but he did not make it. I think the Diamondbacks might trade Junior or even Kata in a package deal.

A team with a $25M payroll doesn't want Spivey as their 2Bman at his $$. The Royals don't have a need for good young pitchers and they certainly don't have a need for a 1Bman, much less one like Overbay.

This is what I'm saying, you've got to know what the org whose player you're drueling over needs and would be willing to take. The Royals went hard after Blalock or Teixiera for Beltran when the Ranger came calling, so why wouldn't they go hard after Tracy plus somebody else (they need a good 2Bman).

It's very foolish to think we can just get rid of our minor league fluff to get a top tier player. Not every trade can be Curt Schilling :p

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
A team with a $25M payroll doesn't want Spivey as their 2Bman at his $$. The Royals don't have a need for good young pitchers and they certainly don't have a need for a 1Bman, much less one like Overbay.

This is what I'm saying, you've got to know what the org whose player you're drueling over needs and would be willing to take. The Royals went hard after Blalock or Teixiera for Beltran when the Ranger came calling, so why wouldn't they go hard after Tracy plus somebody else (they need a good 2Bman).

It's very foolish to think we can just get rid of our minor league fluff to get a top tier player. Not every trade can be Curt Schilling :p

Did I say they would ONLY look at the Royals to trade with? You need to read before you write. I said I would like to see them go after Beltran and Stewart. I believe Jerry will talk with many teams. By the way, the Royals do need pitching. They picked up Brian Anderson after Appier went down. From what BA has said he will probably be going back to the Indians next year. The Royals can't count on Jose Lima and Kevin Appier next year.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did I say they would ONLY look at the Royals to trade with? You need to read before you write. I said I would like to see them go after Beltran and Stewart. I believe Jerry will talk with many teams. By the way, the Royals do need pitching. They picked up Brian Anderson after Appier went down. From what BA has said he will probably be going back to the Indians next year. The Royals can't count on Jose Lima and Kevin Appier next year.

You're right, how foolish of me to think that when you refer to a Carlos Beltran, you'd be thinking of the Royals :rolleyes:

I read just fine, thank you.

The Royals picked up Appier and BA cause they lost starters to the DL. Not because they don't have them for next year.

How would Good or Patterson be different than Affeldt, Hernandez, Asencio, Carrasco, Snyder, Voyals, Gobble, Wilson, or MacDougal?

Much less Zach Grieke, Colt Griffen, and Ian Ferguson down the pipe.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I wrote before, you need to read before you write. I mentioned Beltran as one player I would like to see them go after. I did not say he was the only one. All I wanted to say was this team needs some hitters and I wrote I hope they could get Beltran or Stewart. I never mentioned he was a free agent or anything. Maybe you need to stick with stats?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I wrote before, you need to read before you write. I mentioned Beltran as one player I would like to see them go after. I did not say he was the only one. All I wanted to say was this team needs some hitters and I wrote I hope they could get Beltran or Stewart. I never mentioned he was a free agent or anything. Maybe you need to stick with stats?

Damn, it's a sad state of a person's arguement when the have to throw in non sequitur personal attacks to try and push the other person's buttons. I'll take this as you not knowing what else to say to defend your obviously undefendable position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am at work and I am not going to waste my time responding to someone like you. I have a lot more better things to do.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by FanOfTheGame1
I tried to discuss this on the dbacks.com board and the cretins there replied with everything from "you don't believe" to "statistics don't matter". The usual stuff in other words.
Perhaps if you didn't take such an attitude with people, you might get a more favorable response. But you seem to want to make a fight out of everything. You do have good things to say, so here's to a fresh start on this board. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1-0 Diamondbacks. let's give the Dodgers a loss so they go a game back of the Phillies and Marlins.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
End of three and it's 3-1 Dodgers. Bad luck for Randy as Overbay drops a throw that lead to 3 runs.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spivey gets a one-out triple but they can't get him in. Randy has 8 strikeouts thru seven innings.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks lose 4-1. With the season almost over I think maybe the veterans should shut it down and Brenly play the young guys. Too bad they did not bring up Tracy because I would like to see him get some experience.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In looking at Tracy's production he appears to be a hitter for average and not for homeruns. The D-backs already have a few who hit for average, Gonzo and Cintron, to name 2. It is my opinion that they need some power for next year. Outside if RJ, Webb, and Gonzo I would think that everyone else is on the trading block.

Az240z

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Down 4-0 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th the Diamondbacks get a 2-run home run by Shea and then a 3-run home run by Finley. 5-4 Diamondbacks.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 5-4! This loss is devastating for the Dodgers. They had this game won and why would Tracy have Quantrill pitch to Finley? It would be great to take the final game tomorrow. MVP goes to Shea and Finley for their huge home runs in the 8th.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bang:

I think that emoticon or whatever they're called fits perfectly with how the past few months of DBack baseball has been.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
:bang:

: bang :

Hmmm. What if you made the icon larger...then it would be big bang...wait a minute...maybe Anquan could help the DBacks.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 2-0 to take a split with the Dodgers. MVP goes to Capuano. The Diamondbacks really put a hurt in the Dodgers playoff hopes. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake