Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
they suck. I am so disappointed in the team this year. don't get me wrong I am still supporting and hoping they can make another run. But time is running out. They did look good for the 15 or whatever win streak they went on but that was it. they have played like crap all season and have showed me nothing to believe they can turn it around this late in the season.

Unfortunate.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finley leading off. Brenly trying to do something to get the offense going.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You heard it here first, the fat lady is NOT singing. This team needs to win about 9 of their next 10 games and winning today is a good start. The Diamondbacks are due for a winning streak and why not start now? You still gotta believe.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
You heard it here first, the fat lady is NOT singing. This team needs to win about 9 of their next 10 games and winning today is a good start. The Diamondbacks are due for a winning streak and why not start now? You still gotta believe.

I agree that we are due for a winning streak. I just don't know if it'll be enough to get us into P-town.

But screw that, LETS GO DBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Nope. Not a chance. Finished. Done. Nada. Adios.

*I already wrote that the D'Backs were finished, so I'm continuing my reverse psychology approach.*

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There's 22 games to go, we're 5 games out and we have to leap frog 5 teams.

I bet you could get about 250/1 in Vegas on this bet.

I think the odds are greater that monkeys will fly out of my butt.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks win 8-1 over the Giants! MVP goes to Webb. Curt pitches tomorrow so hopefully they can make it 3 in a row.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today's game is huge. Even though the odds are against the Diamondbacks, they nedd a win to keep the slim hopes alive. 2-1 Diamondbacks in the 3rd. Mondesi went deep.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mondesi is off to a great start.

3-1 Dbacks.

I really need the DBacks to win 'cause after the Cardinals game I'm feeling really low!

LETS GO DBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow a 5 run 8th inning!

Let's see if we can hold this 3 run lead!

9-6 DBacks!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright!

Now we play a 4 game set with the Dodgers. It's gut check time!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finley is the MVP and props to everyone who contributed in that 8th inning. Patterson has looked very good since being recalled. Hopefully he can reach his potential and help this team next year.

They need to win at least 6 of their next 7 games, hopefully they can win them all.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
Too little, too late?

ESPN didn't even list the D'Backs among the leaders in the NL Wildcard Race on last night's broadcast?!?

Neither did The Tennessean in today's paper.

Too little, too late? Not yet.
Yes - we are 6 back with only 19 left.
Yes - we do have to jump 5 teams.

But - we have 3 against STL
We have 7 against LA.

So, we control our destiny against both those teams.
Philadelphia has 7 games against ATL and 6 against FLA left.
Florida has also 7 against ATL and the 6 against PHI left.
Houston has 6 against STL and 3 against SF left.

So it is still possible!!!

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
IF both Philly and Florida play mediocre ball, they could finish under 90 wins (would require the Phils to go 10-9 or worse and the Marlins to go 11-8 or worse). It's unreasonable to think that BOTH would totally tank ... though certainly both could play under .500 ball to finish out, but much more likely that one will at least meet that level.

That means to have a reasonable chance at the WC requires 90 wins, meaning that the D'backs MUST win 17 of the final 19 to have a decent shot.

FanOfTheGame1

Riding The Pine
Reaction score
Before the Atlanta series on Aug. 15 (when they were 8 games over .500), I looked at the remaining series and figured if they won 2 games in each, they would finish with 91 wins. Which, historically, is not enough to win the WC but might be enough this year.

I tried to discuss this on the dbacks.com board and the cretins there replied with everything from "you don't believe" to "statistics don't matter". The usual stuff in other words.

Since then, they have fallen 6 games off this pace (only winning 1 vs. Atlanta, the Cubs, the Padres here, the Giants here and none in the 2-game set at San Diego). A split vs. the Dodgers here and winning 2-of-3 the rest of the way puts them at 85-77.

Even with a miracle finish, there are just too many teams to pass now. It's over.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by FanOfTheGame1
Even with a miracle finish, there are just too many teams to pass now. It's over.
Realistically speaking, you ARE correct.... even winning out doesn't guarantee a WC spot at this point since either the Marlins or Phillies could get hot too.

I didn't bite to get the post season ticket package... nor did I bite after the recorded phone message urging me to do so even after the deadline...

Figure to wait until they begin collecting down payment for next year's season tix to "invest" in next year.

*Note: with the season winding down to the final weeks, it's much more likely that the posters that blasted you for "non belief" will be more realistic now...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still believe but deep down I know it will be a miracle if they make it to the playoffs. I hope they can beat the Dodgers and Cardinals to eliminate them from playoff contention.

If the Diamondbacks can't make it I hope the Cubs do.

I don't want to see the Marlins, Phillies and Cardinals make it.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Down 3-0 Shea goes deep and ties it at 3. Great hustle by Cintron to keep the inning alive.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burnitz hits a 3-run homer to make it 6-3. I hate to say it but it looks like you can stick a fork in the Diamondbacks. I just now want them to beat the Dodgers and the Cardinals.

I am looking forward to the off-season because I feel jerry will make a major acquisition. It would be great if he could get two quality bats, like Beltron and Stewart.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
I am looking forward to the off-season because I feel jerry will make a major acquisition. It would be great if he could get two quality bats, like Beltron and Stewart.

Every word out of Jerry and Joe have been "save, cut, and cheap". Why would you ever think we're gonna go out and get a major player?

Also Beltran isn't a FA to get anyways.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by FanOfTheGame1
I tried to discuss this on the dbacks.com board and the cretins there replied with everything from "you don't believe" to "statistics don't matter". The usual stuff in other words.

It has always been understood that in the pool of "baseball message boards", the official mlb.com ones are in the "shallow end" to say the least.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake