Seattle meeting with Wilcox today----article about rejecting Suns trade

sunsfn

Reaction score
Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Sonics set meeting with Wilcox
Sonics looking at final pitch to forward for 3-year deal
By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER

The fate of Chris Wilcox's long-term future in Seattle could be determined by a critical Thursday meeting between the power forward, his agent and Sonics general manager Rick Sund.
It will be just the second time the sides have met face-to-face this summer and perhaps the final time they negotiate before Wilcox decides to accept the team's one-year, $3.7 million qualifying offer.
Wilcox will meet with Sund for the first time since April. It could be one final effort to secure a three-year contract. The sides appear firm on their stance and are about $5 million apart, NBA sources said.
The Sonics have offered $19 million over three years -- more than the league's $5.2 million per year midlevel exception. Jeff Fried, who represents Wilcox, has asked for $24 million. Fried said he has "several" teams who would pay Wilcox that amount if the Sonics agreed to a sign-and-trade deal.
"We're not just going to let this sit anymore," Fried said Monday. "We needed to be respectful of ownership change issues, but each and every offer, Rick Sund is turning down. That doesn't seem to make much sense. If you don't believe in Chris and other teams believe in Chris and other teams are willing to do fair deals all the way around, I am questioning those motives."
A sign-and-trade is a long shot. The Sonics have apparently received just one concrete deal and they quickly rejected Phoenix's package that included aging veteran center Kurt Thomas and the $16.3 million remaining on the final two years of his contract.
The Golden State Warriors also appear interested in Wilcox, but have yet to make the Sonics a sign-and-trade offer.
"Rick doesn't seem to have confidence in Chris as a player," Fried said. "In light of that, we want to have one of these sign and trades. These teams are being aggressive. They are being fair with Chris. The only option would be the one-year qualifying offer."
If Wilcox accepted the Sonics' one-year qualifying offer, he would become an unrestricted free agent next summer. The drawback in that strategy is that if Wilcox, 23, has a subpar season, he would perhaps receive the midlevel exception in free agency, which is less than the Sonics are offering

Fried would like his client to play somewhere else if Thursday's negotiations don't produce a lucrative deal.
"We've given enough time," Fried said.
Sund would not comment on the Wilcox negotiations.
"As has been with our policy with all negotiations, we would not negotiate in the newspaper," he said. "We continue to have discussions with Chris' agent."
As a restricted free agent, Wilcox is eligible to sign an offer sheet from any NBA club and the Sonics have the first right to match that offer.
NOTE: New Sonics owner Clay Bennett arrived in Seattle on Monday and will spend the next three days discussing the future of the team with Sund, team president Wally Walker and city officials. He will hold an informal news conference on Wednesday.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
hmmmm........i wonder what the exact package was with K.T. as long is it doesnt break the bank, they should try another package. i wouldnt be mad about having another young athletic big who D'antoni and the crew can work with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Wilcox can be obtained from Seattle anywhere near reasonable, the Suns should do it. He would be good insurance if Amare is not able to go full speed or paired with Amare to provide the Suns a dominant frontline.

The Suns might even have to try Marion at SG. :)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Atlanta pick had to be involved. I think we could get a better player than Wilcox with the Atl. pick next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if two of the lesser first round picks and KT would get it done for Wilcox. I can understand why some would not like this trade, but I am still high on Wilcox's ability.

Also maybe the Suns could rent Wilcox for a season with a first round pick and the TE.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
i just think it would be worth it to try to get him with 2 of our bigs coming off of injuries. everybody has their opinion about it but i think it would be a good idea. they would have to be a little more creative with the package but i think it can get done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folster said:
The Atlanta pick had to be involved. I think we could get a better player than Wilcox with the Atl. pick next year.

I guess it all depends how one evaluates Wilcox as a talent. I have him rated very high as a 4/5. The Suns are not even guaranteed of getting the Atlanta pick next season and there is no guarantee the Suns will get a better player with that pick as it is protected 1-3. Even so, it may take a few years to groom a rookie. The Suns should be in Championship mode now. I think Wilcox puts Phoenix over the top this coming season.

I'm not adverse to looking at a player like Gooden at a more reasonable price.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Wilcox a lot and would love to have him on my team, but I don't think he gets the Suns any closer to a championship than Wayman Tisdale did a few years back. I would be very, very slow to force a sign-and-trade for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I like Wilcox a lot and would love to have him on my team, but I don't think he gets the Suns any closer to a championship than Wayman Tisdale did a few years back. I would be very, very slow to force a sign-and-trade for him.

I like Wilcox's inside play a lot more than Tisdale and I think he is more athletic as well. If you are generally equating the impact of Wilcox compared to a Tisdale type player I can understand your reluctance.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I guess it all depends how one evaluates Wilcox as a talent. I have him rated very high as a 4/5. The Suns are not even guaranteed of getting the Atlanta pick next season and there is no guarantee the Suns will get a better player with that pick as it is protected 1-3. Even so, it may take a few years to groom a rookie. The Suns should be in Championship mode now. I think Wilcox puts Phoenix over the top this coming season.

I'm not adverse to looking at a player like Gooden at a more reasonable price.

While I do think that we can get a better player than Wilcox in next year's draft, I also think that Wilcox is good enough for the Sonics to demand KT and the Atl. pick. All of this talk of trading KT who currently has a longer contract and a couple late first rounders for Wilcox is unrealistic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folster said:
While I do think that we can get a better player than Wilcox in next year's draft, I also think that Wilcox is good enough for the Sonics to demand KT and the Atl. pick. All of this talk of trading KT who currently has a longer contract and a couple late first rounders for Wilcox is unrealistic.

If Wilcox could be locked up with a long term contract and Sarver extends Diaw, I'd roll the dice and do it (the Atlanta pick + KT). The legitimate chance to win a Championship is a rare commodity.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:

Your opinion of Tisdale is a lot higher than mine!
I liked Tisdale, but he was not on the same level that I think Wilcox can get to on the suns.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
Im with mainstreet on this one. If we could lock up Diaw and bring in Wilcox for KT and Atl I say do it. That would give us an incredible front court to go with a incredible backcourt. That would give us some insuance with Amares come back and also not to rush him back. The other 2 1st can still be packaged to move down in the draft. I also can see Jones hitting the road to save an additional 3m. I think you would have to make that deal for a serious title run and try to keep Marion for the remainder of his deal. If we are to win a ring or two Sarver could certainly pay a little lux tax. He also said he would be willing to go over for the right player and I think Wilcox should be the one.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'm not doubting the Wilcox is good. but come on now people, we're talking about trading KT (which i have no problem doing) AND our Atlanta pick for him. i just dont see how he's worth that. some of you are treating him like he's an all-star right now.

he hasnt consistantly shown that he belongs in any starting lineup, and could very well have just been playing because its contract time (ala: some guy by the name of Kandi). the gamble sure doesnt make much sense to me, when we COULD end up with a top 5 lotto pick in an amazing draft AND still not guarrantee keeping both Marion and Diaw.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I'm sure the Suns didn't even consider trading Atlanta's pick for Wilcox. KT is such a force defensively, the Sonics would be lucky to get him... ;)

GM of the Sonics is an idiot. If Wilcox is willing to agree to sign for 3/24, sign him up--don't lowball him with an offer like 3/18, where there's a real possibility he could do better by signing the QO.

Didn't they learn anything from the last three guys? If Wilcox signs the QO, and then they give him the opportunity to play, there's a good chance he'll spike their whole team next season. And if they're going to burn that $4m anyway, why not just sign him to what he's asking for? :shrug:

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I'm sure the Suns didn't even consider trading Atlanta's pick for Wilcox. KT is such a force defensively, the Sonics would be lucky to get him... ;)

GM of the Sonics is an idiot. If Wilcox is willing to agree to sign for 3/24, sign him up--don't lowball him with an offer like 3/18, where there's a real possibility he could do better by signing the QO.

Didn't they learn anything from the last three guys? If Wilcox signs the QO, and then they give him the opportunity to play, there's a good chance he'll spike their whole team next season. And if they're going to burn that $4m anyway, why not just sign him to what he's asking for? :shrug:

If they sign him to a one year contract, they will probably trade him before the trade deadline in February like they did Vlad Radmanovic.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
If you are generally equating the impact of Wilcox compared to a Tisdale type player I can understand your reluctance.

That's exactly what I mean. He's a nice player, but he doesn't bring what the Suns need most. His skills are somewhat redundant for this roster.

I'd love to have him on the bench -- a vast improvement over what's there -- but I'm not going to give up a whole lot to get him. It'd be like needing to do the laundry, but moving the clothes to the other side of the room, instead. You haven't really addressed anything, and may have downgraded the roster in the process.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I wonder what 'sweetners' the Suns offered. The Sonics would have been pretty tempted by the Atl pick so probably the Suns weren't offering that.

I guess it means the Suns really are shopping KT and I think that confirms that D'Antoni's plan A is to go with the kind of lineups he used during the playoffs. That's what I was expecting him to do whether KT stayed or not but I know a lot of people were pegging KT to return to his last years role as a starter.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I wonder what 'sweetners' the Suns offered. The Sonics would have been pretty tempted by the Atl pick so probably the Suns weren't offering that.

I guess it means the Suns really are shopping KT and I think that confirms that D'Antoni's plan A is to go with the kind of lineups he used during the playoffs. That's what I was expecting him to do whether KT stayed or not but I know a lot of people were pegging KT to return to his last years role as a starter.

A blurb in a Seattle paper doesn't confirm much of anything except that Wilcox and the Sonics are talking.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Your skimming of the blurb seems to have missed this: "The Sonics have apparently received just one concrete deal and they quickly rejected Phoenix's package that included aging veteran center Kurt Thomas and the $16.3 million remaining on the final two years of his contract."

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is they never stopped talking, but it is hard to know where it would go if the Sonics are completely uninterested in KT. Picks are nice, but $15.4 million is a lot to pay for picks (Portland got one for $3 million).

IMHO, KT is only interesting to a team that is trying to win a championship this year. Bringing in a veteran does nothing for a lottery team that needs to develop their young big men, ie the Sonics. For that reason, I think the Cavs are a slightly better prospective partner, but I have even more concerns about Gooden than I do about Wilcox.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Your skimming of the blurb seems to have missed this: "The Sonics have apparently received just one concrete deal and they quickly rejected Phoenix's package that included aging veteran center Kurt Thomas and the $16.3 million remaining on the final two years of his contract."

And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh? ;)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh? ;)

Their sky is green. Why do you think they nicknamed it the "Emerald City". :p

Errntknght

Reaction score
Chap, And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh? "

"The Sonics have apparently received... and they rejected.."

In this English sentence form 'apparently' does not apply to the second phrase - repeating the subject (they), putting 'apparently' in the middle of the first phrase, and altering the verb type all make that clear. The normal way to make 'apparently' apply to two verbs is a construction like "Apparently, the Sonics have received... and have rejected...."

Ask anyone who's native tongue is English.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05