# Sergio Rodriuez

fatosber

Veteran
Reaction score
I think this is the best U18 player in te world .. he is going to be drafted soon in the nba .. he is only 17 and I thought you might want to check his videos

http://www.streetballtenerife.com/TODA_eng.htm

you will see 2 Sergio Rodriguez videos in the end of the page , I propose you download the one vs Turkey first .

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ugh, that was unbelievable.

Rodriguez is definitely one of the best PG prospects who I have ever seen.
Fantastic court vision and passing ability, deadly crossover, very smart player.
Despite his height disadvantage and unathleticism he somehow managed to score.

Still he is years away phisically from being an NBA player. I remember him at Hoops Summit in San Antonio last year when Telfair schooled him.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
meth said:
He is so young but he played almost 20 minuts in every euroleague game.

I haven't realized that he got regular PT in Euroleague. That's very impressive from a 19-year old kid.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched a little of that video and I was impressed. He does have some potentially bad habits that could get exploited in the NBA. He leaves his feet a lot when he makes a pass. Also, he almost exclusively used bounce passes once he penetrated into the lane. Those will work some of the time in the NBA, but defenders are quicker and can knock those away or pick them off.

I thought he showed some decent strength for a thin guy. There were a few plays where he was getting bumped by the opposing PG on his drives and not only did he shed the contact, but he kept forward momentum.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys got some serious skills, but I don't understand why those defenders kept forcing him to his right. Even when he went to his left, he would still cross over and go to his right. I haven't seen a good ankle-breaking crossover like that in years. He's like a skinny white version of Mitch Ritchmond -- without the knuckleball shot delivery. It's good to see a point guard who can pull up and hit a 16-footer, too.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
So is this kid in the draft this year or is he going to come out in 2006?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Can you say Jason Williams part 2 the kids got skills and good vision but his game wouldn't even come close to being NBA ready.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Can you say Jason Williams part 2 the kids got skills and good vision but his game wouldn't even come close to being NBA ready.

Why's that? When Williams isn't hotdogging he's a very serviceable PG. Assuming we could get him without the baggage, he'd be perfect coming off the bench for the Suns. His strength is running in transition.

mkapp

CheesyPoof!
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Guys got some serious skills, but I don't understand why those defenders kept forcing him to his right. Even when he went to his left, he would still cross over and go to his right.

Could this be because he has no abilities with his left? I watched the video and was impressed. He has some "professor" like moves and great ability to find his teammates on the court, and seems to read the defense pretty well. However there was only one strong move he made with is left. NBA defenses will be all over that. Also would have liked to see more defensive plays.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Draftcity's mock draft 2/22/05 has 6 point guards going in the first 13 picks (Paul, Felton, Jack, Deron Williams, Gilchrist, Diaz). It also has the Chicago selection (Suns pick) as Roko Leni Ukic also a point guard and their profile did not have a lot of accolades about the guy.

The teams picking ahead of the Suns are more in need of a starting point guard so this kid could drop right in the lap of Phoenix. The video shows a lot more promise from this guy than Barbosa will ever acquire, it may be a perfect pick if he makes himself available for the draft. To have Sergio train behind Nash and also contribute 10-20 minutes a game would be the best answer for the future of the PG position for the Suns.

Slinslin what is your read on this kid.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You'd think by now people would understand that the NBAdraft.net listing is not based on team, but by player ranking. In fact, I don't think they take into consideration which team is drafting who until their final mock draft.

The list of players on that site right now is how that site ranks them, it has nothing to do with who is picking in that spot. It's always been like that.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You'd think by now people would understand that the NBAdraft.net listing is not based on team, but by player ranking. In fact, I don't think they take into consideration which team is drafting who until their final mock draft.

The list of players on that site right now is how that site ranks them, it has nothing to do with who is picking in that spot. It's always been like that.

My point is still the same, there are 7 point guards listed in their rankings for the top 17 picks. Good point guards are hard to find and a valuable commodity as proven by Steve Nash. With the general trend in the league changing to small ball, teams will be more in need of PG's vs. Centers. Whether these are rankings or needs does not make that much difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05