Sherman coming back for interview number 2

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Xtra 910 is reporting that Mike Sherman is coming back to Phoenix for a second interview, accompanied by Mrs. Sherman

draw your own conclusions

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xtra 910 is reporting that Mike Sherman is coming back to Phoenix for a second interview, accompanied by Mrs. Sherman

draw your own conclusions

My conclusion is they will probably have 3 coaches or so for second interviews.

Sherman
Chow
Grimm

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From the Republic

Sherman on Cards' short list

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 10, 2007 04:30 PM

The Cardinals have narrowed their search for a new head coach to a short list of candidates that includes former Packers coach Mike Sherman, said Rod Graves the team's vice president of football operations.

Graves wouldn't say how many candidates the Cardinals plan to interview a second time, nor would he reveal any other names. Sherman is scheduled to interview for a second time today at the Cardinals Tempe facility.

Graves said he anticipates the new coach coming from that short list.

The team has interviewed eight candidates including Sherman, San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell , Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, and Steelers assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm.

Cameron, Caldwell and Rivera are still coaching in the playoffs and the Cardinals cannot speak to them again until their team's seasons are done, which could also explain why Graves would not comment on other candidates. If any of those coaches are high on the list, the hiring might not happen for a few more weeks.

"We've been on a hectic trail here for the last week or so," said Graves, referring to a process which has included eight interviews in eight days. "We still have some ground to cover."

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
And from the EVT:

By Darren Urban,
Tribune January 10, 2007

The Cardinals have narrowed their head coaching search to a "short list" and former Packers head coach and current Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman will be the first to receive a second interview from the team.

Sherman is scheduled to meet with owner Bill Bidwill, vice president Michael Bidwill and vice president of football operations Rod Graves Thursday in Tempe. Sherman had his initial interview last week.

Beyond that, Graves declined to give any more details about the search, including how many names the "short list" contains or whether it contains any playoff coaches.

Graves said the team is prepared to enter into negotiations for a head coach at any time but that didn't mean Sherman was necessarily the front-runner.

"We are not ruling anyone out," Graves said. "At this point, I don't want to handicap anything. We still have a lot of ground to cover."

Graves said further second-round interviews would take place "depending on our process and whether or not we feel it is necessary."

The Cardinals interviewed eight candidates in eight days through Tuesday. The team cannot talk to any coach whose team remains in the playoffs, which includes Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

The other candidates are Sherman, Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm and Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. The eighth candidate is holdover Cardinals defensive coordinator Clandy Pendergast, who is not believed to be on the short list.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the candidates, Sherman would be my last choice. This sucks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help it but everytime I read Sherman I think "and Mr. Peabody."

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sherman would be an ok hire, but IMO would create absolutely zero interest and excitement. He very well may be a great coach, but nothing he has done really gets me pumped.... so therefore I give it a real good chance of happening. :sad:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me restate - this is Denny Greene part deux. I absolutely hate this.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe some of the canidates already turned the Cards down. Hopefully Sherman will not take the job if it's offered to him.

Reaction score
Sherman would be an ok hire, but IMO would create absolutely zero interest and excitement.
You nailed it...

Being the first one in for the 2nd round, and given Graves own statements...
Graves said the team is prepared to enter into negotiations for a head coach at any time but that didn't mean Sherman was necessarily the front-runner.

"We are not ruling anyone out," Graves said. "At this point, I don't want to handicap anything. We still have a lot of ground to cover."

Graves said further second-round interviews would take place "depending on our process and whether or not we feel it is necessary."
it appears that Sherman has the inside track.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I don't think we'll hire him. It just happens that his name was the first to be released as far as second interviews. Should be interesting to see who is on the short-list.

As far as Sherman goes, I think he's a good coach and gets somewhat of a bad rap. But I don't he's what the organization needs right now. Fans won't tolerate another boring retread - they want a someone who is young, fiery and potentially a diamond in the rough.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
My conclusion is they will probably have 3 coaches or so for second interviews.

Sherman
Chow
Grimm

Sounds about right. Guys like Rivera may also be on the list but they can't talk to them until they're out of the playoffs and depending how long of a playoff run their team has it may eliminate them from contention for the job

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said on another thread Sherman would be the "safe" hire. Chow would be the riskiest, and Rivera would be the trendiest.

I can't say I'll be surprised if they play it safe.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

At least Denny actually built those good Vikings teams from the ground up before he lost control and everything crashed around him. Sherman took over a powerhouse NFL program and promptly drove them into the ground. This will be an unmitigated disaster if he is hired, I would rather have the lovechild of Dave McGinnis and Denny Green coaching the Cardinals than this guy.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

While there may be reasons not be excited about the hire -- thinking this is Denny part II isnt one of them.

Sherman is kinda the antithesis of Denny Green

Denny was great in front of a microphone -- talking to media, fans etc. Apparently also not into the details, delegator to a fault, and not much of a work ethic.

Sherman is boring as heck in front of a microphone. Super into the details, delegates but also into all the plans, and works all the time.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
You nailed it...

Being the first one in for the 2nd round, and given Graves own statements... it appears that Sherman has the inside track.

I think you're reading something thats not there. They may be interviewing again based on when they were interviewed the first time so that they have more time to prepare for the 2nd interview.

It wouldn't be fair to ask Grimm to give better answers on what they were unsure of from his his first interview (clarifications, etc) considering he just finished the interview a day ago. Its more of an "in the interest of fairness" type deal

He may have an inside track but this isn't a sure sign of it

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sherman is boring as heck in front of a microphone. Super into the details, delegates but also into all the plans, and works all the time.

Hey, once Sherman has his press conference after he gets hired Mitch will break it down in such a way that most of us will expect to go 16-0!!:cheers:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would also create absolutely zero winning seasons which is a bigger concern than public relations.

I guess you guys get this from his 3 of 4 seasons with double digit wins? Above average drafts?

Always do the opposite of what the majority on this board say. You guys loved Dave Mac...even after years of losing with him, Loved Green.

Now the board clamors for Chow whom I think is by far the worst of the bunch. I wouldnt mind Cam or Grimm but Sherman would get me pumped.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least Denny actually built those good Vikings teams from the ground up before he lost control and everything crashed around him. Sherman took over a powerhouse NFL program and promptly drove them into the ground. This will be an unmitigated disaster if he is hired, I would rather have the lovechild of Dave McGinnis and Denny Green coaching the Cardinals than this guy.

Doesnt take 3 years to drive a good team into the ground. Look at Green! Howver this is a league of diversity. It is VERY hard to stay good for 4 years running.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would also create absolutely zero winning seasons which is a bigger concern than public relations.

Which may be true, but the Cards still have to sell their program until the wins come.

Gosh this hire would really bore me considering the other possibilities.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Which is why everyone here is a Dave Mac lover. Love to look and sound good losing.

Ill take boring and winning.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i think this team is prepared to wait for the playoff coaches to get finished with the playoffs. these guys that are getting interview already have people in mind for their staff. probally already have some commitments from those people.

i can imagine if sherman gets hired he might hire the mooch as his offensive cordinator. wouldn't that be a tandom. hopefully cam cameron is on that short list.