Sherman coming back for interview number 2

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
what puzzles me is why release one name and not pose it as we are seeing 'X' from group one (non playoff guys)......and cannot discuss those candidates in group 2.

they probably have a reason

I think it is Sherman and one or all of the other 3 coaches still in the playoffs.

And why they dont mention the other 3 coaches is becuase,

1. They cant even talk to them until they are out of the playoffs now

2. They dont want to release their names because they dont want to be seen as tampering, see #1.

3. It would be the right thing to do to let the ones not mentioned and the players under those coaches keep their minds on their games and not something else. Sort of an unspoken rule, and why the rule stated in #1 is in place in the first place.

Also, I think this is going to be a much longer drawn out process then we originally thought it was going to be.

Last edited:

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
:lame:

Why tell that you have a short list then only mention one name on it. :bang:

They interviewed for petes sake! Everyone knows they are interested in the job.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
schefter said the cardinals are waiting for the steelers situation to be settled before they schedule another interview with the steelers two assistant coaches.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved Dave Mac and Denny Green.:rolleyes:

Mike Sherman inherited a team littered with Pro Bowlers and a HOF QB in his prime and essentially left it in shambles. Oh yeah, those great drafts. How can we forget about Batman Carroll, Jamal Reynolds, and Aaron Rodgers.

LOL Rodgers is a bad pick now? You should be working on the NFL channel. You know more than anyone else.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
schefter said the cardinals are waiting for the steelers situation to be settled before they schedule another interview with the steelers two assistant coaches.

So we made a short list and didn't knock anybody off of the original list? Now I'm really confused

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
He is the guy I'm least excited about, but if he gets the nod I'll support him.

That's how I feel. He's not an "wow!" pick but he is a smart pick. I'd be pretty happy with any of these guys if you told me their names during the Abysmal Stretch of the season.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure.. Whisenhunt absolutely better not be on the short list

According to a report in The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if the Steelers hire in-house candidates Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt to replace Cowher as head coach, the person who doesn't get the job might still stay on the Steelers' staff.
The newspaper reported that both Grimm and Whisenhunt have told people privately that if either of them are named the Steelers' new head coach, the one who doesn't get the job would like to stay on the Steelers' staff as an assistant if they don't get a head coach job elsewhere.
The entire Steelers coaching staff is under contract for 2007.
Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, was interviewed by team officials for three hours Tuesday, and it was evident he doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh to be an NFL head coach unless there's no other option.
"This is the place I want to be," Whisenhunt said. "I've been very grateful to be a part of this organization for six years and I'm just excited to get this opportunity."

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sherman would be an ok hire, but IMO would create absolutely zero interest and excitement. He very well may be a great coach, but nothing he has done really gets me pumped.... so therefore I give it a real good chance of happening. :sad:

Frankly, I do not know enough about any of these guys to post a sensible comment. About all I know about him is he had some success at Green Bay. Parcells had some success in N.Y. but that did not help him in Dallas. In the final analysis it will be the players on the field. I figure a coach might make a two game swing over a season but when you suck someone has to go.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure.. Whisenhunt absolutely better not be on the short list

According to a report in The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if the Steelers hire in-house candidates Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt to replace Cowher as head coach, the person who doesn't get the job might still stay on the Steelers' staff.
The newspaper reported that both Grimm and Whisenhunt have told people privately that if either of them are named the Steelers' new head coach, the one who doesn't get the job would like to stay on the Steelers' staff as an assistant if they don't get a head coach job elsewhere.
The entire Steelers coaching staff is under contract for 2007.
Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, was interviewed by team officials for three hours Tuesday, and it was evident he doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh to be an NFL head coach unless there's no other option.
"This is the place I want to be," Whisenhunt said. "I've been very grateful to be a part of this organization for six years and I'm just excited to get this opportunity."

If given the chance all of the assistants that were interviewed would like to stay and be promoted where they are. That way they don't have to move their families, get acquainted with new players and staff, re-teach their coaching philosophies, etc

So him saying he wants to stay really isn't a big deal

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Guys like Rivera may also be on the list but they can't talk to them until they're out of the playoffs and depending how long of a playoff run their team has it may eliminate them from contention for the job

Some of the coaching assistants are already being hired. Can we really afford to wait until after the playoffs are over to hire someone who may or may not be a good coach? Are we so sure Rivera will be that much better than Sherman or whoever that we are willing to wait to after the superbowl if it gets that far?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So him saying he wants to stay really isn't a big deal

As far as I'm concerned, Whisenhunt can pound sand. I feel like he's the only candidate using us as leverage.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Any chance that the "players" involved in the interview process really liked Sherman?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved Dave Mac and Denny Green.:rolleyes:

Mike Sherman inherited a team littered with Pro Bowlers and a HOF QB in his prime and essentially left it in shambles. Oh yeah, those great drafts. How can we forget about Batman Carroll, Jamal Reynolds, and Aaron Rodgers.

Mao...you can not like the guy but stop trying to spew your bias as fact...you are way wrong on just about all of your "facts" from what he inherited, his success and then reason for 1 failed season, and who he drafted.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So we made a short list and didn't knock anybody off of the original list? Now I'm really confused

i just repeated what i saw on the nfl network.

clancy pendergast was knocked off the short list. at least he wasn't mentioned.

what stikes me funny is that jim mora jr name hasn't poped up anywhere on the head coachs list. i wonder if he will all of sudden be annouced as the next new head coach of some team.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Sherman took over a powerhouse NFL program and promptly drove them into the ground. This will be an unmitigated disaster if he is hired, I would rather have the lovechild of Dave McGinnis and Denny Green coaching the Cardinals than this guy.

Sherman took over an 8-8 team that lost discipline under Ray Rhodes and helped rebuild it up to 12-4 at its peak under Sherman. Sherman convinced Ron Wolf to trade for Ahman Green who helped replace the aging Dorsey Levens. Sherman liked Ahman during his one year as an O-coordinator in Seattle, while Holmgren didn't like Ahman. The Packers were rebuilding Sherman's first year with 2 rookie Tackles on the offensive line, and a young Ahman replacing Dorsey Levens.

Sherman made a number of bad draft choices when he got the GM title after Wolf left, but he also helped develop a competitive team. In my opinion the domino that set the Packers slide in motion was when at their peak at 12-4, Sherman overpayed for former Pro Bowler defensive end Joe Johnson from the Saints. Sherman thought Johnson was the missing piece to get the Packers over the hump and into the Super Bowl. It didn't work out though. Johnson was usually hurt or fat and slow from the big contract he got. Johnson hurt the Packers in both his subpar play, and the fact that his huge contract put the Packers against the salary cap. They couldn't afford to sign any decent replacements for Johnson or other areas after that because his signing bonus was still counting towards the cap. That signing more than anything started the slide for the Packers in my opinion. A lot of Packer fans blame Sherman for the Johnson signing, but I don't. Sherman had a small window to try and take a shot at a Super Bowl while Favre was still playing at a high level. Sherman took a shot and it didn't work out. It mortgaged the Packers' future somewhat, but I don't blame him because I think if you ever feel you might have a shot at a Super Bowl, you gotta take it.

There might be better candidates out there, but I don't think Sherman is a bad one. Sherman is very loyal and hard working. He's not enamored with his own ego like Buddy Ryan or Dennis Green. The one thing that intrigues me about the Cardinals possibly hiring Sherman is he might have a better chance to convince Bidwill senior to make some changes in the organization for the better than any other candidate would. Other candidates might be better game day coaches, be better at "X's" and "O's", or show more fire in front of his players. But if there is a coach that can get Bidwill senior to get his organization up to speed with the other organizations, I think that might be more important to me than what the head coach does on the sidelines during a game. With Shermans non-stop work ethic, and his loyalty to the organization he works for, I'd be intrigued to see if that would impress the Bidwills to the point where he could get in Bidwills' ear to make some changes for the better for the Cardinals organization.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
i just repeated what i saw on the nfl network.

clancy pendergast was knocked off the short list. at least he wasn't mentioned.

I don't doubt that you were repeating information and gladly appreciate that. I just find the report really confusing ... we have a "short list" and only knock off Chow and Pendergast. Thats just odd

what stikes me funny is that jim mora jr name hasn't poped up anywhere on the head coachs list. i wonder if he will all of sudden be annouced as the next new head coach of some team.

The Dolphins interviewed him although I'd be shocked if he ended up there considering the circumstances regarding Saban leaving and Mora saying he wanted to be somewhere else (joking or not)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why everyone here is a Dave Mac lover. Love to look and sound good losing.

Ill take boring and winning.

I hate Dave Mac. Terrible coach. Nice guy. He's the coaching version of Josh McCown. Bad QB, great guy, everyone loved him.

I'll take boring and winning. Hey, that's Chow too...imagine that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frankly, I do not know enough about any of these guys to post a sensible comment.
I agree. It's amazing how absolutely sure many of us sound about whether one candidate sucks while another is the only guy who can turn things around.

I'm with Skkorp with regard to Sherman, but that's mainly a gut feeling based on the little I've seen, read and heard about the guy.

At some point you have to trust the process and the the people who are participating in it (though if turns out they get it wrong once again, we'll have every right to call for everyone's head a year or two from now).

If it's Sherman it's Sherman. If it isn't, it isnt'. One thing's for sure, the Cards will eventually hire a head coach, the team will either win or lose and we'll find out more as things unfold.

Meanwhile, put away the Maalox, pop open a cold one and "watch the movie to see how things come out."

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Sherman took over an 8-8 team that lost discipline under Ray Rhodes and helped rebuild it up to 12-4 at its peak under Sherman. Sherman convinced Ron Wolf to trade for Ahman Green who helped replace the aging Dorsey Levens. Sherman liked Ahman during his one year as an O-coordinator in Seattle, while Holmgren didn't like Ahman. The Packers were rebuilding Sherman's first year with 2 rookie Tackles on the offensive line, and a young Ahman replacing Dorsey Levens.

Sherman made a number of bad draft choices when he got the GM title after Wolf left, but he also helped develop a competitive team. In my opinion the domino that set the Packers slide in motion was when at their peak at 12-4, Sherman overpayed for former Pro Bowler defensive end Joe Johnson from the Saints. Sherman thought Johnson was the missing piece to get the Packers over the hump and into the Super Bowl. It didn't work out though. Johnson was usually hurt or fat and slow from the big contract he got. Johnson hurt the Packers in both his subpar play, and the fact that his huge contract put the Packers against the salary cap. They couldn't afford to sign any decent replacements for Johnson or other areas after that because his signing bonus was still counting towards the cap. That signing more than anything started the slide for the Packers in my opinion. A lot of Packer fans blame Sherman for the Johnson signing, but I don't. Sherman had a small window to try and take a shot at a Super Bowl while Favre was still playing at a high level. Sherman took a shot and it didn't work out. It mortgaged the Packers' future somewhat, but I don't blame him because I think if you ever feel you might have a shot at a Super Bowl, you gotta take it.

There might be better candidates out there, but I don't think Sherman is a bad one. Sherman is very loyal and hard working. He's not enamored with his own ego like Buddy Ryan or Dennis Green. The one thing that intrigues me about the Cardinals possibly hiring Sherman is he might have a better chance to convince Bidwill senior to make some changes in the organization for the better than any other candidate would. Other candidates might be better game day coaches, be better at "X's" and "O's", or show more fire in front of his players. But if there is a coach that can get Bidwill senior to get his organization up to speed with the other organizations, I think that might be more important to me than what the head coach does on the sidelines during a game. With Shermans non-stop work ethic, and his loyalty to the organization he works for, I'd be intrigued to see if that would impress the Bidwills to the point where he could get in Bidwills' ear to make some changes for the better for the Cardinals organization.

Great assessment.

Sherman may not be the "sexy pick" that the other candidates are, but everything you've said here is spot on, in terms of positives.

As for Whisenhunt, you could tell, just by his body language and the way he composed himself at the press conference, he wasn't really all that in to the Arizona gig, and I honestly think he's using the job as leverage.