Shipp to play more Sunday

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darren Urban is reporting that Arrington is "ill" and that and his first game performance will probably result in more carries for Shipp this week.

I haven't seen Arrington listed as ill anywhere else but he's on one of my fantasy teams on yahoo and they have it listed there citing urban.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So far I think Arrington is having a toughness problem. His first few hits were hard and he needs to get over it and join the NFL.

But I don't have a problem with Shipp starting. That may be better for us right now.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Darren Urban is reporting that Arrington is "ill" and that and his first game performance will probably result in more carries for Shipp this week.

I haven't seen Arrington listed as ill anywhere else but he's on one of my fantasy teams on yahoo and they have it listed there citing urban.

It was listed as well out of Sportsline and it stated the source as the East Valley Tribune.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
It was listed as well out of Sportsline and it stated the source as the East Valley Tribune.

I hope he doesn't have pluerisy. It would be deja vu all over again.

:eek:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Injury update
Starting running back J.J. Arrington has a stomach flu and sat out Thursday's practice. Green said Arrington is expected to play. Defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, who also had the illness, returned to practice.
This is from azcentral.com

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
pluerisy: fear of the NFL; slowness of the legs; inability to move forward

You are going to look like quite the a$$ when Arrington gets an offensive line who actually blocks and starts breaking a couple 60 yard TD runs. He has not performed to expectations that were placed on him by the media, but can you consider that you might be being a little extreme after one regular season game? If every back is going to be given on up for after one game, then maybe we should try and make a trade for Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson. Would that make you happy as Im sure their respective teams are ready to cut their losses by now. Or better yet lets use a time machine and trade for Kevin Jones and Larry Johnson, as they were dissapointing at first as well......idiot.....:rolleyes:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Arrington has the stomack flu. If you ever had the stomach flu it saps your strength and leave you a little week. Dockett also has a sore back.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
You are going to look like quite the a$$ when Arrington gets an offensive line who actually blocks and starts breaking a couple 60 yard TD runs. He has not performed to expectations that were placed on him by the media, but can you consider that you might be being a little extreme after one regular season game? If every back is going to be given on up for after one game, then maybe we should try and make a trade for Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson. Would that make you happy as Im sure their respective teams are ready to cut their losses by now. Or better yet lets use a time machine and trade for Kevin Jones and Larry Johnson, as they were dissapointing at first as well......idiot.....:rolleyes:

ja ja ja ja ja.

Replace arrington with Jones and you probably took that from a post made years ago. Its based on more than 1 regular season game. Unlike you I dont bury my head in the sand during preseason with some stupid mantra like "This doesnt mean anything".

Your probably the same fool that said 3 seasons wasnt enough for McCown or Give Thomas Jones anothe rdecade to show what he's got. Why is it the cards have more moronic fans like you than the typical NFL team. (Well, minus the raiders).

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Your probably the same fool that said 3 seasons wasnt enough for McCown or Give Thomas Jones anothe rdecade to show what he's got. Why is it the cards have more moronic fans like you than the typical NFL team. (Well, minus the raiders).
Giving up on a second round pick after one regular season game is moronic.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Roger that.

(Of course, betting the store on a second round pick before he's proved anything could be considered equally moronic).

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
This is from azcentral.com

Yep I read this morning he was not feeling well tuesday or wednesday and it was fullblown stomach flu on Thursday.

Hopefully he'll be ok by Sunday to come off the bench. THe report from Urban said JJ was absolutely still the starter it's not a demotion.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Renz said:

Probably. But he does have history on his side. :D

Former Cards second round selections.

Levar Fisher,Michael Stone,Johnny Rutledge,Leland McElroy,Chuck Levy,Tony Sacca,Anthony Thompson,and Tony Jeffery,Mike Jones,John Lee,Scott Bergold. :mad:

Ray Thompson,KVB,Corey Chavous,Ben Coleman,Walter Reeves. :shrug:

Dansby,Boldin,Plummer,Sanders,Tim McDonald and of course Neil Lomax. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Roger that.

(Of course, betting the store on a second round pick before he's proved anything could be considered equally moronic).

We bet the store on JJ?

He had 8 carries in the first game, it's not like he had 30 carries for 5 yards and Green still named him the starter.

Well it sounds like Shipp will start and get the bulk of the work so let's hope there's more room to run and that he gets some yards, we're going to need a run game soon.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Renz said:

I happen to think at this point there is plenty to see. Yes its 1 regular season game but I dont close my eyes to the rest as you do. Whoopdie doo. Real fun calling people mroons huh.

I think the both of you are complete idiots to repeat your "1 regular season game" mantra. Thers more to this point than just that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so let's hope there's more room to run and that he gets some yards, we're going to need a run game soon.
Reviewing the bidding over the past decade or so - we've had a bunch of RB's who have disappointed us. Some of them have played better before they came here and after they left.

This kind of suggests there's been a problem with run blocking, and herein lies the dilemma as I see it:

We've all seen examples on other teams where - due to injuries - offensive lines have had to be fashioned together with scrap metal and duct tape. But somehow the coaches simplify the run blocking and some semblance of a running attack is created.

But we change players, change coaches, draft guys, release guys and trade guys and it doesn't seem to matter - the running attack still sucks.

Why is that?

I am holding out all hope that the absence of Stepnoski and Leckey was catastrophic and that their return will signal a quantum improvement from here on out. But for now, that's all it is - hope.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
so let's hope there's more room to run and that he gets some yards, we're going to need a run game soon.
Reviewing the bidding over the past decade or so - we've had a bunch of RB's who have disappointed us. Some of them have played better before they came here and after they left.

This kind of suggests there's been a problem with run blocking, and herein lies the dilemma as I see it:

We've all seen examples on other teams where - due to injuries - offensive lines have had to be fashioned together with scrap metal and duct tape. But somehow the coaches simplify the run blocking and some semblance of a running attack is created.

But we change players, change coaches, draft guys, release guys and trade guys and it doesn't seem to matter - the running attack still sucks.

Why is that?

I am holding out all hope that the absence of Stepnoski and Leckey was catastrophic and that their return will signal a quantum improvement from here on out. But for now, that's all it is - hope.

Miami couldnt run either. Then Ricky Williams shows up and all of a sudden the offensive line got it and they run for 1800+ yards??

PUH-lease.

Time to stop blaming the line for EVERYTHING. Sure they arent the best but even an average back finds a few runs every now and then. No miami RB was average for a long time. Same with the cards.

Its not as if JJ is showing flashes of great ability but its being suppressed by the line. He is showing awful ability suppressed by a bad line.

Now it is possible to fix one side and have it work (ala Williams on miami). But its alot easier to replace 1 back that can get it done with a line like this as opposed to 5 Olineman.

J4Cards

Veteran
Reaction score

I am holding out all hope that the absence of Stepnoski and Leckey was catastrophic and that their return will signal a quantum improvement from here on out.

Mark "Stepnoski" plays (played?) for the Cowpies. Alex "Stepanovich" is the Cardinals' center.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we'll get to see what Shipp can or cannot do with shouldering most of the load.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should place a lot of weight on the o-line. The Vikes had their starting center out last weekend, and they had a grand total of 33 rushing yards (and 19 of those were from Culpepper). Bennett, who was an object of trade speculation for us, was limited to -1 yard on 6 attempts. Go tell the Vikes that a veteran center is not important.

The Shark

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Miami couldnt run either. Then Ricky Williams shows up and all of a sudden the offensive line got it and they run for 1800+ yards??

PUH-lease.

Time to stop blaming the line for EVERYTHING. Sure they arent the best but even an average back finds a few runs every now and then. No miami RB was average for a long time. Same with the cards.

Miami had Lamar Smith at RB prior to Williams, and he got 1100 yards one year and nearly 1000 the next. Lamar Smith, it wasn't like they had high priced guy at RB who failed.

Williams was completely on another level from Smith, but he also retired after one more season(nearly 1400 yards at 3.5 YPC) in part because he said he refused to sacrifice his body like that for a coach who was going to use him up behind a bad OL. He had nearly 800 carries his first 2 years in Miami, that's what pounding a RB behind a bad OL will do for a team.

Nobody is comparing Arrington to Williams they're totally different players, but if you want to have a good run game, it starts with the OL.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I hope Marcel starts and never gives the job back. He has earned the right to start. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser