OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I hope Marcel starts and never gives the job back. He has earned the right to start. :thumbup:

If he's good enough to do that it's good for the cards.

My suspicion is Green is smart enough (unlike Mac) that he won't give Marcel 30 carries the next 2 games and then watch him be ineffective for a month due to all the injuries from those 2 games. Shipp is tough as nails but his running style seems to lead to a lot of contact that winds up with him getting all sorts of nagging injuries. Had nothing to do with the ankle break that was a fluke, but the way he runs he gets beat up. Splitting carries would be great for both guys at this point in their careers.

Shipp needs to get healthier, and JJ needs to get his feet wet in the NFL.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
My suspicion is Green is smart enough (unlike Mac) that he won't give Marcel 30 carries the next 2 games and then watch him be ineffective for a month due to all the injuries from those 2 games. Shipp is tough as nails but his running style seems to lead to a lot of contact that winds up with him getting all sorts of nagging injuries. Had nothing to do with the ankle break that was a fluke, but the way he runs he gets beat up. Splitting carries would be great for both guys at this point in their careers.
IF Shipp plays well enough throughout the season to be the starter, it would be nice to have a legit 3rd down back playing with him.

Also, IF that's the way it shakes out and Shipp wins the starting roll with Arrington playing on 3rd downs...we might be drafting another RB next year. Because Shipp isn't going to light the world on fire and this scenario means that Arrington isn't cut out for a full-time NFL load.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
IF Shipp plays well enough throughout the season to be the starter, it would be nice to have a legit 3rd down back playing with him.

Also, IF that's the way it shakes out and Shipp wins the starting roll with Arrington playing on 3rd downs...we might be drafting another RB next year. Because Shipp isn't going to light the world on fire and this scenario means that Arrington isn't cut out for a full-time NFL load.

I don't think that we'll end up that way I figure Arrington will get accustomed to the NFL and his carries will build up. He's not a 30 carry guy but Green doesn't have 30 carry guys in his system anyways.

I think we're more likely to go lineman unless someone like DeAngelo Williams or Reggie Bush falls to us, then by all means you take them and figure out later how to mesh them with Arrington.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't think that we'll end up that way I figure Arrington will get accustomed to the NFL and his carries will build up. He's not a 30 carry guy but Green doesn't have 30 carry guys in his system anyways.

I think we're more likely to go lineman unless someone like DeAngelo Williams or Reggie Bush falls to us, then by all means you take them and figure out later how to mesh them with Arrington.

First if we get Bush, buh bye Arrington.

Second if we draft Olineman wont we have years of people complaining our oline sucks because of rookies or young guys (E. Brown).

I think its the coaching. Why do the broncos have guys you never even heard of and they are great? Get rid of Lindsey and pay Bugel or someone that can teach an oline.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Second if we draft Olineman wont we have years of people complaining our oline sucks because of rookies or young guys (E. Brown).

I think its the coaching. Why do the broncos have guys you never even heard of and they are great? Get rid of Lindsey and pay Bugel or someone that can teach an oline.

Denver is successful because of their scheme and cheap ass blocking techniques.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Denver is successful because of their scheme and cheap ass blocking techniques.

Who cares if its cheap ass. I want to win. If flags arent thrown its not a penalty.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Agreed Lindsay was not ready for the job. That said, the Broncos don't take guys who slip in the draft like Brown and insert them as rookies in fact they very rarely play rookies on their OL. George Foster was a rookie, first round pick, and didn't play a down as a rookie. They get guys to fit a mold they like(Foster didn't fit it at all a big guy) and they coach them up.

I'm not complaining about Brown because he's young I'm saying he's only playing because we don't have a legit RG ready to play on the roster. Remember we had that report from Jurecki or Urban or someone during preseason that said Brown is nowhere near ready to play, he won't contribute until much later this year, then a week later Brown was named the starter?

He has talent but there's a reason he fell in the draft, he's raw as hell. By next year Step and Brown should be ready to go. Then you basically just need a LG and there are guys out there, like Max Jean Giles at Georgia, who could come in right away and be better than Wells.

I'd be quite surprised if one of our first 2 picks is not an OL.

Bush is terrific but there's not an NFL coach or GM in the league that thinks Bush is an everydown RB, he's not even the leading rusher on his own college team. He's a versatile player but you don't dump Arrington because you draft Bush, you simply find ways to get them both the ball.

Remember for all his talent, playing in the same no defense conference JJ played in, Bush has just over 1400 yards rushing in his career and his YPC number is a yard less than what Arrington averaged last year at Cal. And Bush played with the best QB in the country, a great group of WR's, a great OL and a great OC.

I'm a huge Reggie Bush fan but he's going to have a lot of the same doubts in the NFL that JJ has, he's taller but he's 15 pounds lighter. Want to talk about durability and toughness, Reggie Bush has never carried the ball more than 16 times in a college football game (rushes only not counting receptions).

But the kid is special if you get a chance, you draft him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Agreed Lindsay was not ready for the job. That said, the Broncos don't take guys who slip in the draft like Brown and insert them as rookies in fact they very rarely play rookies on their OL. George Foster was a rookie, first round pick, and didn't play a down as a rookie. They get guys to fit a mold they like(Foster didn't fit it at all a big guy) and they coach them up.

I'm not complaining about Brown because he's young I'm saying he's only playing because we don't have a legit RG ready to play on the roster. Remember we had that report from Jurecki or Urban or someone during preseason that said Brown is nowhere near ready to play, he won't contribute until much later this year, then a week later Brown was named the starter?

He has talent but there's a reason he fell in the draft, he's raw as hell. By next year Step and Brown should be ready to go. Then you basically just need a LG and there are guys out there, like Max Jean Giles at Georgia, who could come in right away and be better than Wells.

I'd be quite surprised if one of our first 2 picks is not an OL.

Bush is terrific but there's not an NFL coach or GM in the league that thinks Bush is an everydown RB, he's not even the leading rusher on his own college team. He's a versatile player but you don't dump Arrington because you draft Bush, you simply find ways to get them both the ball.

Remember for all his talent, playing in the same no defense conference JJ played in, Bush has just over 1400 yards rushing in his career and his YPC number is a yard less than what Arrington averaged last year at Cal. And Bush played with the best QB in the country, a great group of WR's, a great OL and a great OC.

I'm a huge Reggie Bush fan but he's going to have a lot of the same doubts in the NFL that JJ has, he's taller but he's 15 pounds lighter. Want to talk about durability and toughness, Reggie Bush has never carried the ball more than 16 times in a college football game (rushes only not counting receptions).

But the kid is special if you get a chance, you draft him.

That is part of our problem. The Cards had 15 holes to fill and it will take awhile before we can get to the point where we are drafting for 3 years down the road in the later rounds.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
That is part of our problem. The Cards had 15 holes to fill and it will take awhile before we can get to the point where we are drafting for 3 years down the road in the later rounds.

Agreed, which is my whole problem with releasing 4 starters off the OL in 2 years and replacing them with what I consider to be one viable starter. Release some of those 4 no problem, release all of them you better have a plan to replace them and it better work.

OL needs continuity, you don't get that by releasing starters every year. HOpefully next year we'll be REPLACING starters(Wells in particular) instead of releasing them.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Who cares if its cheap ass. I want to win. If flags arent thrown its not a penalty.

You wouldn't be saying that if someone did it to your legs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mark "Stepnoski" plays (played?) for the Cowpies. Alex "Stepanovich" is the Cardinals' center.
Ooops! I ran out of vowels.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ,

Max-Jean Giles in the first round.......yah, I think he'll be there when we draft. I'm a little concerned about his knee (has had an ACL) given his weight. I'd be tempted but would draft a so called, "skill position player" in round #1 always.

This year, Jimmy Williams is my choice. He is playing CB but has played a lot of FS in his years......has great size and speed for both (6'2"215). I'll let Green decide where to play him, but would favor the FS position. If I'm Green, I'm hoping that Green develops into Macklin's replacement.

You know what a Gabe Watson fan I am, so he's my chioce at DT in round #2, although I know I'm pushing my luck hoping he's there at pick # 45-50.

I would be tempted to go after Steve Hutchison (who will be a UFA next year) for LG, again hoping beyond hope that he gets away from Seattle.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
I'd be tempted but would draft a so called, "skill position player" in round #1 always.
**coughcoughgiveawaythefarmforleinhartcoughcough**

(yeah, that's right...the Leinhart bandwagon is leaving the station early...ALL ABOARD!!) ;)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Russ,

Max-Jean Giles in the first round.......yah, I think he'll be there when we draft. I'm a little concerned about his knee (has had an ACL) given his weight. I'd be tempted but would draft a so called, "skill position player" in round #1 always.

NO I didn't mean round one you almost never take a guard in round one if you do it's a Steve Hutchinson level player.

If we took Gilles we'd probably move Brown to LG(where I think he played in college) and Gilles to RG where he's playing now I believe. Very similar players, really big, weight problems, punishing run blockers. I think Gilles is a bit more polished but I'd be stunned if he goes in round 1 he's at best a 2nd rounder.

The other way to go is get a LT and move big back to Guard but I think Green likes Big at LT so I don't see that. I supposed you could get a RT and move Ross back to RG and Brown to LG also.

I expect the first pick to be a DT, a DB or possibly a LB depending on how Hayes returns from injury and how Blackstock progresses.

Of course that all depends on how people develop I think Brown and Step are definitely going to start next year I just hope we're not starting Wells again.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
No way does Seattle let Hutchinson go. The Cards had their chance to get Hutchinson but they took Big instead.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
No way does Seattle let Hutchinson go. The Cards had their chance to get Hutchinson but they took Big instead.

Agreed, I think they extended him already anyways. I mean in the draft not in FA but yeah he's a terrific player.Baas is similar but not as good.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I supposed you could get a RT and move Ross back to RG and Brown to LG also.
I think we'll see Ross at G before his stint here is over. He's getting up there in years, and may be better suited to play inside as time goes on. Heck, maybe that time is now.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
**coughcoughgiveawaythefarmforleinhartcoughcough**

(yeah, that's right...the Leinhart bandwagon is leaving the station early...ALL ABOARD!!) ;)

Why, so everyone on this board could bash him as the second coming of Plummer or McCown after he has a bad first start?

It amazes me the way some people on this board react to rookies--people are already trying to ditch JJ as a bust. Man, you'd think we have 18 years of winning Superbowls under our belt here...oh wait, those types of teams understand that rookies don't come into the league ready to play. We are forced to start rookies at key positions because we aren't a deep team and our rookies have more talent than the vets; it takes awhile for the talent to shine through the lack of NFL experience.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Why, so everyone on this board could bash him as the second coming of Plummer or McCown after he has a bad first start?

It amazes me the way some people on this board react to rookies--people are already trying to ditch JJ as a bust. Man, you'd think we have 18 years of winning Superbowls under our belt here...oh wait, those types of teams understand that rookies don't come into the league ready to play. We are forced to start rookies at key positions because we aren't a deep team and our rookies have more talent than the vets; it takes awhile for the talent to shine through the lack of NFL experience.

Sorry but we as Cards fans have a long standing history of seeing RB busts. In fact we should be pros at picking them out. Better than any fan in the NFL. :D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I supposed you could get a RT and move Ross back to RG and Brown to LG also.

That was my plan also in another thread. And the best quick fix without blowing up the oline IMO for next year.

RT - Marcus McNiel out of Auburn in the first round here we come. My player to pimp for this up coming draft.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Agreed, I think they extended him already anyways. I mean in the draft not in FA but yeah he's a terrific player.Baas is similar but not as good.

Not extended. They will probably try to work on him before the mid season deadline though. But they will have to be creative with the cap space that they have left but it is do able.

If not he goes straight to Franchise tag city, which is on the low end when compared to the top 5 salaries of other positions.

Hutch isnt going anywhere except for a trade, most likely