• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody. Wants. Ayton.

You might be right, unless another team is offering contracts that have little or no value in trade.

About all the Suns can do is hope for the best and ride out the wave.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ummm.... he's still here? :shrug:
Yes, and...?

There are plenty of teams that would like to have him -- maybe not at this price point, but we know there were offers. Not good ones, but offers nonetheless. In many cases they were probably made to gauge what the Suns' interest was in keeping him. We signed him, we haven't traded him.

There's at least one team -- note I said TEAM not some random fan on a message board -- that wants him for sure, but for the right price I'd say there are at least 15 teams that would gladly take him.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Yes, and...?

There are plenty of teams that would like to have him -- maybe not at this price point, but we know there were offers. Not good ones, but offers nonetheless. In many cases they were probably made to gauge what the Suns' interest was in keeping him. We signed him, we haven't traded him.

There's at least one team -- note I said TEAM not some random fan on a message board -- that wants him for sure, but for the right price I'd say there are at least 15 teams that would gladly take him.
lol I'd take Ayton for the right price too - and if I wasn't fielding a championship contending team

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
it’s like you think if you say the same thing over and over it will become reality.
Nah you're right, the demand for Ayton is there and it's real. I drove by Footprint just yesterday and saw a bunch of GMs beating on the doors

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm.... he's still here? :shrug:
That means squat. Trades are complicated. Each team deals with salary implications, draft implications. There are about 100 proposed trades every offseason that never happen because of all these factors and where that team might be in their process. That doesn't mean a player isn't wanted. Even if they don't want the player that expiring contract has value which is proven every single offseason. Teams were in fact calling about Ayton which means he has value (either as a player or future expiring contract). The price or what it takes to get it done might differ. Plus, the Suns are now in a position where you would have to get a legit big in return which means taking salary back which now has Apron implications. This tirade to dump him and that nobody wants him is nonsensical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he's particularly strong willed (hard headed maybe) but I also don't agree with you painting him the way you have. He often set the tone for the team early and we played well as a result of his play. Then, for whatever reason, he'd stop being a factor and we'd play poorly. He isn't the guy I'd want to take the last second clutch shot but I've seen nothing to indicate he's at the opposite end of clutch as you suggest.

He refused to re-enter the game against Dallas in game 7 and he failed to dress for game 6 vs Denver last year. He's not clutch and when the going gets tough, he disappears.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, and...?

But he can't be had for the "right price" considering he has a contract for 3 more years. Saying a team would take him for free means nothing. If Ayton wasn't making max money then he wouldn't be such a hindrance. He's drastically overpaid and that limits the number of suitors there would be. He was a free agent a year ago and had 1 suitor that showed interest in paying him what he requested. You're dreaming if you think half the teams in the league would take him at his salary.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he can't be had for the "right price" considering he has a contract for 3 more years. Saying a team would take him for free means nothing. If Ayton wasn't making max money then he wouldn't be such a hindrance. He's drastically overpaid and that limits the number of suitors there would be. He was a free agent a year ago and had 1 suitor that showed interest in paying him what he requested. You're dreaming if you think half the teams in the league would take him at his salary.
Saying no teams would take him is equally meaningless. So many factors play in for teams going after players. An under-performing player is definitely a hindrance but that can change on a dime if he plays anything close to the way he did a couple years ago. His contract will be attractive to teams looking for expiring contracts especially with the new apron. Timing is everything. There were only 3 teams (if I remember correctly) that had the space to take on Ayton in a trade and none of them had the assets for a trade. Indiana had the cap space to make a RFA offer. That's way different than saying nobody wanted him. Wanting a player and having the ability to take on a player are two different things.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But the convo isn’t just about money and you know that.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saying no teams would take him is equally meaningless. So many factors play in for teams going after players. An under-performing player is definitely a hindrance but that can change on a dime if he plays anything close to the way he did a couple years ago. His contract will be attractive to teams looking for expiring contracts especially with the new apron. Timing is everything. There were only 3 teams (if I remember correctly) that had the space to take on Ayton in a trade and none of them had the assets for a trade. Indiana had the cap space to make a RFA offer. That's way different than saying nobody wanted him. Wanting a player and having the ability to take on a player are two different things.

He has 3 years remaining on his contract, quit saying someone will value him as an expiring contract. In 2 years? Maybe. Now? That's ridiculous.

Ayton is the weakest link on our team as we're relying on him becoming a top 5 Center to help us win a title. He's shown time and again that he's not that guy but I guess you're fine wasting one of the final years KD is able to play at a top 10 level on Ayton being happy and productive when he's been anything but the last 2 playoff runs. Sounds like a great plan.

We should have moved Ayton at the draft so we'd have a little time to fill the gap at Center. Having to do so at the trade deadline if Ayton isn't panning out will cause us to waste this season making wholesale changes halfway through, leaving us behind the 8 ball in the playoffs with a team that has no chemistry or real title hopes.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has 3 years remaining on his contract, quit saying someone will value him as an expiring contract. In 2 years? Maybe. Now? That's ridiculous.

Ayton is the weakest link on our team as we're relying on him becoming a top 5 Center to help us win a title. He's shown time and again that he's not that guy but I guess you're fine wasting one of the final years KD is able to play at a top 10 level on Ayton being happy and productive when he's been anything but the last 2 playoff runs. Sounds like a great plan.

We should have moved Ayton at the draft so we'd have a little time to fill the gap at Center. Having to do so at the trade deadline if Ayton isn't panning out will cause us to waste this season making wholesale changes halfway through, leaving us behind the 8 ball in the playoffs with a team that has no chemistry or real title hopes.
That completely depends on how a team is built. Many believe that the Suns have a 2 to 3 year window. You don't think Ayton's contract is a consideration for that window? It is. Unless you can show me how every team is built, I bet there are other teams that have built in windows. You saying that Ayton wouldn't fit into any team window in the NBA?!?! Now that is ridiculous.

I was all onboard with moving Ayton for a quality big in return. What I am not for is wasting his value (whatever that might be) because people want to dump and run.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why did price get mentioned by you repeatedly? Come on. It's a big part of why some of us want him gone. He wouldn't be as much of an issue if he weren't wildly overpaid.

Quit telling people what they know and what they don't.
Most of us agree he's overpaid although "wildly" is a stretch. Many of us agree that we should have traded him already assuming we could get decent value. But this conversation isn't really about those things. It's whether or not DA is completely worthless or whether we'd be better off without him regardless of compensation or whether we'd have had to eat his contract.

As it is, I think keeping him and seeing how it works without Monty and with Vogel in place was the lesser of two evils. Do I expect those changes to work wonders? Unfortunately, no. I think the most realistic positive outcome for us is that he plays like he did a few years ago and it attracts enough attention that we can move him for decent value at the midseason trade deadline. And I think we all know the most realistic negative outcome.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Then why did price get mentioned by you repeatedly? Come on. It's a big part of why some of us want him gone. He wouldn't be as much of an issue if he weren't wildly overpaid.

Quit telling people what they know and what they don't.
Strong words considering you do that all the time.