Should the Suns trade Ayton?

• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see anything here that includes Ayton that makes sense to me.

Unless there are significant picks in the compensation. But with the apron thing, do picks you trade for go to the end of the first round as well?
No, just your own picks.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see anything here that includes Ayton that makes sense to me.

Unless there are significant picks in the compensation. But with the apron thing, do picks you trade for go to the end of the first round as well?
Only reason to even consider this is if Ayton really is an issue in the locker room and you can get an unprotected Portland 1st.

But that is more of a move for the future than this season, which seems counter to being all in for this year to me.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Listened to the Pod with Flex. Sounds like a lot has to happen for a deal to be made. Nurkic for DA doesn’t work because the dollars don’t match up. Portland would need to sweeten the pot. Sounds like this is not likely to happen

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listened to the Pod with Flex. Sounds like a lot has to happen for a deal to be made. Nurkic for DA doesn’t work because the dollars don’t match up. Portland would need to sweeten the pot. Sounds like this is not likely to happen
The rumors are not around a simple player trade. It's either a multiplayer deal and/or multi-team team deal with other players coming along to make the numbers work. Having said that? If the Suns basically trade Ayton for Nurkic the team is worse. Pass.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
No need to worry yall - nobody wants Ayton at $33 million a year - especially if they have to give up any of their own talent to land him

I still see a sign and trade as being the only possibility - but even that is highly unlikely - because like I said

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the tweet from John Gambadoro.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What really caught my attention is the Lillard trade is supposed to happen within the next 24 hours.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No need to worry yall - nobody wants Ayton at $33 million a year - especially if they have to give up any of their own talent to land him

I still see a sign and trade as being the only possibility - but even that is highly unlikely - because like I said
You literally pay zero attention to anything that goes on

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Only reason to even consider this is if Ayton really is an issue in the locker room and you can get an unprotected Portland 1st.

But that is more of a move for the future than this season, which seems counter to being all in for this year to me.
Is it more of a move for the future if Ayton is indeed expected to be an issue in the locker room? That could easily stop this team from winning a title this year, especially when you consider he is the last line of defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it more of a move for the future if Ayton is indeed expected to be an issue in the locker room? That could easily stop this team from winning a title this year, especially when you consider he is the last line of defense.
It's certainly possible that he's a much bigger distraction amongst the team than we realize but we've heard more to suggest that isn't true than the reverse. I think trading him for anything less than real and immediate value is a mistake but I also realize that this is a case of "we don't know what we don't know".

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean obviously, only an idiot would accept Nurkic for DA straight up.

Do you not understand Portland is desperate to dump him for anything? They are, he is not a good center, and certainly is not worth his contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I doubt it is that bad - after all it's the offseason so the Suns should have known all summer whether if it was a tenable situation to bring him back, and they didn't make a deal. So unless they have learned something about his offcourt behavior over the last couple months that changes things I would assume they still think they can make it work with him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's certainly possible that he's a much bigger distraction amongst the team than we realize but we've heard more to suggest that isn't true than the reverse. I think trading him for anything less than real and immediate value is a mistake but I also realize that this is a case of "we don't know what we don't know".

He punched his ticket during the Denver series. Yeah Monty is gone but when the best player on the team is sick of a guy we know what usually happens. I think their plan was to trade him earlier this off-season but the offers were so bad they had no choice but to publicity back him for the time being. Vogel said all the right stuff and Gambo the mouthpiece ran with all of it. Now he’s putting it out there that Nurkic is “serviceable” on defense and that he wouldn’t be surprised if they looked into it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay… starting to get a bad feeling about this.

If this happens, I think it’s pretty clear Booker/KD loathe Ayton.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My thinking is Nurkic is not enough to match Ayton's salary. You throw in a Buddy Field into the mix, and now it may be interesting. I roll with Ayton over Nurkic. You would have to give me something else, like Hield, to make it worth the downgrade at center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns trade Ayton for Nurkic and say an expiring contract, his value has to be near the bottom of the barrel.

Over the last 4 years, Nurkic has only averaged 38.25 games per season. As such, Nurkic might be viewed as a negative asset with his salary.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My thinking is Nurkic is not enough to match Ayton's salary. You throw in a Buddy Field into the mix, and now it may be interesting. I roll with Ayton over Nurkic. You would have to give me something else, like Hield, to make it worth the downgrade at center.

There is only one ball, I don't know that another volume shooter moves the needle much for this team. We're more in need of defense, rebounding, guys who don't mind not getting touches.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In any trade scenario the other team is giving up their own talent.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I've seen very little of Nurkic on the court, which isn't surprising, since he's injured so often. Comparing him statistically to Ayton, he's clearly a step down, but it might not be too bad if he can stay healthy.

He's more versatile offensively, having adding a three-point shot last season (.361 on 2+ attempts per game) and being a better passer (3.4 assists per 36 vs. 1.9 for Ayton, an a slightly better A/TO ratio).

Also, according to the statistics, he's not much worse defensively: a defensive rating of 114 last season compared to Ayton's 111. Over his career, Nurkic is a better shot blocker, but his numbers in that department have dropped off significantly since whatever his big 2020 injury was.

I'm disappointed in Nurkic's bad free throw shooting (.671 career, with no upward trend line). His foul rate is much higher than Ayton's (4.7 per 36 vs. 3.3). Even more than his health, Nurkic's inability to stay out of foul trouble means that he can't ever really be more than he is. Ayton presumably still has upside, although many of us here have our doubts.

It's maybe worth noting that Nurkic's primary backup last year was ... Drew Eubanks. Maybe they have a good rapport.

Nurkic is never on the short list of the NBA's impact centers, but, if we're being honest, the only reason that Ayton is in the discussion at all is because he's a still-young former #1 overall pick and the Suns are a marquee franchise. Put Ayton on a mediocre team, and he'd be no more relevant than Nurkic is.

I don't know Caleb Martin's game either, but from the stats he looks like your standard 3-and-D hustle guy. He rebounds pretty well for his size.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Weeks ago I said the Suns want to keep Ayton but if they are presented with an opportunity to improve the team then yes he could be traded.

Yes.. It is true... it is something the Suns will look into. It will not be just Ayton for Nurkic. There will be other players or picks involved. The Suns are leaning more towards Nurkic, draft picks and possibly another player who can bolster the roster. Multiple teams will have to be involved.

The other player(s) who come with Nurkic is the real deal breaker. The Suns are in a win now mode and trying to build their roster for that.

Thats all I gathered from the Waffle House meeting.