• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hang on, now Gambo is saying he doesn't think Miami will be involved - so no Martin?

I thought that was what he was always saying. Our deal with Portland isn't a piece of the Lillard deal but something Portland does after the Dame deal. They're likely to send a piece somewhere to get something to use in addition to Nurkic. Whether that piece is Herro, Robinson, Lowry, or Martin is unknown.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
False premise. Ayton hasn't always been a coward in the playoffs. Your bias is coloring your judgement here.
Yes he kinda has, he had a few moments 3 years ago but none since. from game 3 and on against MKE he has basically sucked and super soft

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Portland is still talking to multiple teams regarding Lillard - and if the Ayton trade doesn't happen until Lillard is gone - why would Gambo say the Ayton trade would happen in the next 24 hrs? Because that 24 hrs done came and went

I see Lillard as not being moved until Monday or Tuesday. But if Gambo is right I imagine the Suns and Blazers already have the details ironed out

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Portland is still talking to multiple teams regarding Lillard - and if the Ayton trade doesn't happen until Lillard is gone - why would Gambo say the Ayton trade would happen in the next 24 hrs? Because that 24 hrs done came and went

I see Lillard as not being moved until Monday or Tuesday. But if Gambo is right I imagine the Suns and Blazers already have the details ironed out

Gambo has sources but he’s reckless with how he verbalizes information. In other words he’s a blowhard.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect okogie to be part of the trade, he won’t be happy with Martin locking down the starting spot.

He's a bench player that was almost out of the league a year ago He's likely behind Bates-Diop, Gordon, and Yuta in the depth chart already.

What he likes is irrelevant. He chose to re-sign here because there wasn't a big market for 6'4" wing defenders that can't shoot.

Since he just re-signed and the Suns don't have his bird rights, he can't be traded this off-season anyways.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a bench player that was almost out of the league a year ago He's likely behind Bates-Diop, Gordon, and Yuta in the depth chart already.

What he likes is irrelevant. He chose to re-sign here because there wasn't a big market for 6'4" wing defenders that can't shoot.

Since he just re-signed and the Suns don't have his bird rights, he can't be traded this off-season anyways.
Baloney, he could have gotten a much better offer than the min, but he did the suns a favor by signing for the min.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baloney, he could have gotten a much better offer than the min, but he did the suns a favor by signing for the min.
Why in the world would a guy who’s never made a big check turn down much better offers and sign for a one year league minimum? That is a HIGHLY suspect claim.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Says who? There were no rumors of him going elsewhere. If he could have received more then he should have got it. This is a case of Suns fans overvaluing our own players. I remember all the talk that Okogie was headed for a payday last season but then he flamed out and teams dared him to shoot, which he did and missed enough to be glued to the bench.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why in the world would a guy who’s never made a big check turn down much better offers and sign for a one year league minimum? That is a HIGHLY suspect claim.
Because he is a good perimeter defender and there is a shortage of them. Also showed a ton of potential, just needs to get his 3pt percentage up and he will be a long time starter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he is a good perimeter defender and there is a shortage of them. Also showed a ton of potential, just needs to get his 3pt percentage up and he will be a long time starter.
I didn’t question if he would have gotten better offers. I questioned in what universe a guy who’s never made much money in the NBA, while bouncing from place to place would take MUCH LESS from the Suns if better offers existed.

That doesn’t make any sense to me and there’s zero evidence to back that claim up. There weren’t even whispers anyone was even interested.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Okogie received offers better than the minimum, but probably not enough to make it worthwhile. He is likely thinking long term.

My guess is he thinks Phoenix is the place where he can get rotation minutes and increase his value for a bigger payday down the road.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad that Okogie came back, but I doubt he got any serious offers from anyone.

Outside of that brief hot stretch mid-season, he looked every bit a league minimum player. He's a good defensive player and a putrid offensive player. In the playoffs he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think some mid to lower tier players signed short minimums anticipating better paydays/contracts in the near future - who knows if anyone offered Okogie more I just like his tenacity

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Okogie received offers better than the minimum, but probably not enough to make it worthwhile. He is likely thinking long term.

My guess is he thinks Phoenix is the place where he can get rotation minutes and increase his value for a bigger payday down the road.
If offers are similar, why would you not stay on a team that may win the championship? Now if it's a lot more, you may have to take that offer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that Okogie came back, but I doubt he got any serious offers from anyone.

Outside of that brief hot stretch mid-season, he looked every bit a league minimum player. He's a good defensive player and a putrid offensive player. In the playoffs he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Defensive wings are valuable.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Right, and if Caleb Martin shows up here, he will be a backup, and that is not why he resigned with us.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am impressed in how far Caleb Martin's game has improved since his University of Nevada days in Reno. You always need a hustle guy on a Championship squad. He could fill that role nicely.

The podcasts I have been listening to put the Nurkic for Ayton trade this way, either Ayton has been a major distraction behind the scenes, OR they don't want to trust their Championship run on a guy who doesn't always bring it. With Nurkic the Suns know he's not HALF as talented as Ayton, but it is the fit. When Nurkic is playing, his motor is high. You can depend on his effort. It is more consistent than Ayton's. When Ayton brings it, he blows Nurkic out of the water. It's just can you depend on it?

Gambo, and a couple other local sports guys that are around the Suns say it's not really the $30+ million salary. It's the history of Ayton's inconsistency. Ishbia ia willing to pay the salary. Sounds like they just aren't sure on what he will bring, and if he can sustain that effort all season long.

Me, just from a talent standpoint and who is available, I want to roll with Ayton. One of the under rated parts of Ayton's game is he is one of the best screen setters in the league. He really does have excellent form on his screens, imho. That could work with the other four guys on the court. His shot blocking and rim protection has seemingly slipped from his rookie rookie year to now. That and solid rebounding effort is where I worry about him.

However, looking around the league at Centers available, and Ayton is better than what we may be able to trade for. Plus I see he has lately been rolling with Book and KD in off season training. Is he turning the corner on preparation and bonding with teammates?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
However, looking around the league at Centers available, and Ayton is better than what we may be able to trade for. Plus I see he has lately been rolling with Book and KD in off season training. Is he turning the corner on preparation and bonding with teammates?
When did that start happening?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22