Should we carry four QBs this year?

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am all aboard the McCown bandwagon, and am anxious to see what he can do as the starter.

However...he still has a lot to prove, and Shaun King is no sure thing either.

There are several other options out there right now that might be worh bringing in to compete with King for the backup job, much like Tampa did, by keeping Sims as the 4th to groom as the project.

Here's a list of guys who are, or could be availble soon.

Kerry Collins
Kurt Warner
Damon Huard
Vinny Testaverde
Neil O'Donnell
Tim Couch
Jeff Blake
Rich Gannon
Kurt Kittner
Chris Redman
Jeff George
Shane Matthews

Obviously Blake and Collins are out of the question, but there are a few other guys who might be more ready to play than Navaere, if it came down to that.

I think it is something we should seriously consider.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I would put O'Donnell and George in the same bucket as Blake -- washed up.

I think the only guy worth anything on that list is Couch and he would be way too expensive.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That really is an awful list of QBs, the only ones on it worth anything want to be starters and they won't get that chance here.

If you keep 4 QBs at what position do you take one less?

Navarre can always go on our practice squad if he doesn't outright beat Parsons during camp.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Zeno said:
That really is an awful list of QBs, the only ones on it worth anything want to be starters and they won't get that chance here.

Navarre can always go on our practice squad if he doesn't outright beat Parsons during camp.

Navarre Will not go on the Practice squad. Practice squad players can be signed by other teams as long as they are put on there 53 man roster.

If Navarre goes on the practice squad he is as good as gone. Green will not let that happen.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but because Preston was on the P.S. his first year, he cannot be on it this year. That said: Preston is a gonner. Being an NAU alumni, I'm saddened, but hope he gets picked up by another team. The Vikings should get him. He burned them in the preseason last year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO Cards will go with McCown as the starter, King as his backup and Navaree the third stringer. Parsons will be released. Denny will not sign another qb unless someone is injured.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Oran said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but because Preston was on the P.S. his first year, he cannot be on it this year. That said: Preston is a gonner. Being an NAU alumni, I'm saddened, but hope he gets picked up by another team. The Vikings should get him. He burned them in the preseason last year.

Parsons was not on the practice ever he was inactive but not on the practice squad. His first year he was the 3rd QB right of the bat.

Here is what his bio says at the azcardinals web site.

"Free agent signee from Northern Arizona University (N.A.U.), site of Cards’ annual training camp in Flagstatt, Ariz. … inactive third quarterback for all 16 games "

But I think to be eligible for the practice squad you have to be a rookie or a 2nd year player. Not exactly sure on this I may be wrong.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Lenny_Biscuit said:
I would love to see Parsons get a chance in Europe.

IMO 99% of the time Europe is where NFL players go to die and never be heard from again.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Navarre Will not go on the Practice squad. Practice squad players can be signed by other teams as long as they are put on there 53 man roster.

If Navarre goes on the practice squad he is as good as gone. Green will not let that happen.

If Navarre was that highly thought of he wouldn't have been around in the 7th round. Any team that would sign him to their active roster would have to release another QB...if he doesn't have a strong camp I can't see another team doing that.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is always a pool of QBs out there. A QB or two gets hurt on a team and there are guys you can pick up. Kittner just got released.

The number 2 QB needs to be able to start and play in NFL games. King we know can do that and the 3rd guy is developmental. Maybe they can keep Parsons around. Even if they release him he just joins the pool most likely and if something happens he probably will be there to get picked up.

Or Navarre might get hurt and miss the season this seems to happen a lot more to rookies.

OP
OP
Red Air Force

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Zeno said:

Well if they were good, they'd be starting, but there's a couple of servicable ones in there. IMO Matthews, Redmen, and Huard, would still be better options than Navare.

Would this be a feasable roster breakdown?

QB - 4
RB - 3
FB - 2
WR - 5
TE - 3
T - 3
G - 3
C - 3
DE - 4
DT - 4
LB - 7
DB - 9
K/P - 3

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Zeno said:
If Navarre was that highly thought of he wouldn't have been around in the 7th round. Any team that would sign him to their active roster would have to release another QB...if he doesn't have a strong camp I can't see another team doing that.

Here is the key word here 3rd string QB. 3rd string QB and 7th rounder go hand in hand. There are plenty of teams that would like to take a shot on a rookie prospect instead of a 3rd year 3rd string QB. There is a reason that no drafted rookie QB's go on the practice squad, teams dont want to loss young QB prospects.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
IMO Cards will go with McCown as the starter, King as his backup and Navaree the third stringer. Parsons will be released. Denny will not sign another qb unless someone is injured.

100% correct.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know what the facination with Preston Parsons is. I have watched him in camp and he has a decent arm, isn't extremely mobile and is fairly accurate especially on corner or fade routes....

This describes about 99% of the QB's that never make it in the league, Parsons has nothing about him that puts him above anyone else or would warrant special consideration to have a roster spot

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I don't know what the facination with Preston Parsons is. I have watched him in camp and he has a decent arm, isn't extremely mobile and is fairly accurate especially on corner or fade routes....

This describes about 99% of the QB's that never make it in the league, Parsons has nothing about him that puts him above anyone else or would warrant special consideration to have a roster spot

that is what I am thinking. Also if you are in your 3rd year and are still a 3rd stringer, IMO it is time to move on to a prospect.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Exactly you just named the 1%.
Jake Delholme, Brad Johnson (?), Adam Viniatarri (sp?), NFTTV is running an ad with these guys in it.

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
What is Parsons salary anyway?

When playing NFL2k4 I noticed that Parsons salary was listed as 2.2 million! I hope this is just an error with the game and not what he's really paid. I cna't even release the guy without taking a 1 million cap hit.

And oh yeah, three QB's is enough.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Jake Delholme, Brad Johnson (?), Adam Viniatarri (sp?), NFTTV is running an ad with these guys in it.

Those still only make up the 1%.

5 names out of how many that have been sent over there.

A about 1100 different players have been assigned to the NFL Europe since it started in 1991.

5 out of 1100 is still less then 1%.

If a player is really considered to make the squad, Why send a player to Europe and miss out on all of the mini camps, off season training programs, team chemistry and real coaching in the schemes they will be playing in. It would just make them a step behind all of the other players and harder to make the team that is why so many dont make there teams.

Now if NFL Europe changes ther schedule to better fit the NFL's regular and offseason schedule, then more of these guys would have a better chacne of making there teams squads.

now with the practice squad # being raised it makes Europe even more useless.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
jerryp said:
What is Parsons salary anyway?

When playing NFL2k4 I noticed that Parsons salary was listed as 2.2 million! I hope this is just an error with the game and not what he's really paid. I cna't even release the guy without taking a 1 million cap hit.

And oh yeah, three QB's is enough.

Whoa that is one huge mistake on that game.

It is $380,000 with no signing bonus.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Those still only make up the 1%.

5 names out of how many that have been sent over there.
Whoa, cool your jets, joe. I'm not arguing with you, just throwing out some names of NFLE players.

But, since you seem to be itching for some confrontation, I will take exception to your original statement:
IMO 99% of the time Europe is where NFL players go to die and never be heard from again.
I would contend that 99% of the players in the NFLE were never heard from to begin with, so it would be impossible for them to be heard from "again." I think it's rare to send over a player with even a modicum of acclaim like Navarre to Europe. NFL tars may rise out of NFLE once in a blue moon, but it's even more rare for someone that was expected to play at a high level in the NFL to go there and "die."

Nobodies can become somebodies in NFLE, but rarely do somebodies go there and become nobodies.