So long Leonard

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO The truth lay some where in the middle. No one can dominate every game. Davis was very dominate at guard. One of the best in the league. He played one of his seasons at LT on a bum knee that made him less than effective. He played at least 10 of 16 games last season at a pro bowl level. .I do not believe it was a lack of focus or a lack of effort. Constant shuffleing of guys next to him thru out his career made him less effective. This is a fact. He has the measurables to dominate on a good line that is given time to gel. Showing him the door as they were getting it together with Matt at Qb is the wrong move. And doing it without getting good value in return for him is insane. LD is a top Offensive lineman in the NFL, like it or not. He had marginal games but I believe anyone would have that if they had as many line changes and coaching changes as he did here. He deserves better from Cards fans. He is no cancer.
Never said he was a cancer. But hes definitely overrated by many around the league and certainly on this board.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duckjake, the hypocrite comment is not you.
PJ1, your shot at Nidan was also over the top.

So was nidan's post.

But that's ok it's time to forget about Davis and start thinking about a Fat Tire Ale Draft because tomorrow's a holiday.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Never said he was a cancer. But hes definitely overrated by many around the league and certainly on this board.

I think that a guy drafted at number 2 mainly because of his measurables is immediatly looked at as a pro bowl type. While Davis never lived up to that hype or draft position, he was a very solid Offensive lineman and had he had a stable team(offensive line group) to work with for any length of time he would have rounded in to form. Cream rises to the top as they say. I do not think anyone in the league or on this board can say that Davis was a total bust...they would be lieing to themselves if they did. He could get the Cards a return on there investment and the front office has again made a blunder. Nothing new.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't worry fellows. Something new always comes along. It's the Cardinals, remember?

:D

You have it all wrong. Nothing new ever comes along for Cardinal fans. The names just change. I'm going to get 5-11 4EVR as my new license plate.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
You have it all wrong. Nothing new ever comes along for Cardinal fans. The names just change. I'm going to get 5-11 4EVR as my new license plate.

I think I will have it tatooed on my........:) That way I can take it with me to the grave.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why am I wrong? Because you say so? Hardly. Just because some national sports writers like big dont make it so 99%

There you go. You've answered your own question and defeated your own argument. It isn't about how good he is. It's about how bad we are and how good he is perceived to be. Face it. Experts like him, and it appears that other teams like him. That said, the chances of us getting some kind of draft pick compensation in trade, if we franchised him, are probably pretty good.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It'll never happen vinny. This day will live on in Cardinal infamy, just like the fabled RG trade down and the let D Boston walk with no compensation. These things are ingrained into the physici of some Cardinal fans and they will carry these disappointments with them to the grave.

Besides, it's the only thing Cards fans have to gripe about right now and it could be a while before something new surfaces, so they will tare into it and shake it until something new comes along.

Don't worry fellows. Something new always comes along. It's the Cardinals, remember?

:D

Free agentcy is going to start in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the cardinals make a big splash in the fa market. One would think the fa threads would take off, but they are about Lenard Davis also. For the love of God, can we please move on.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Wait, are you saying you'd rather have nothing than a 4th rounder? That's at least sooooomething for Big and I'd feel much better about this if we were getting a 6th rounder, much less a 4th.

Read the intire post...

I'm saying that I believe Graves and Grimm has a plan with the OL.

I think Graves concluded that a 4th rounder wasn't worth the risk of being stuck with Davis at $11.4M, which would ruin that plan.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that I believe Graves and Grimm has a plan with the OL.

I think Graves concluded that a 4th rounder wasn't worth the risk of being stuck with Davis at $11.4M, which would ruin that plan.
Boy, that sure is a comforting thought and I hopr you're right, but there's really nothing to back it up. What sort of plan couldn't be executed with more than $20M, but can with $30M? Where are these unber-expensive players going to come from? We just let the most expensive offensive lineman on the market walk out the door. The next best is a guard.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Free agentcy is going to start in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the cardinals make a big splash in the fa market. One would think the fa threads would take off, but they are about Lenard Davis also. For the love of God, can we please move on.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZEEE!! Enough already.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team Report: Inside Slant

The Cardinals are going to be in the market for a starting left tackle after informing underperforming Leonard Davis on Thursday that he will not be tagged and will be allowed to become an unrestricted free agent.

That leaves the door only barely open for the possibility that the team would make an attempt to sign him back at what it believes his market value to be.

"When we evaluated Leonard, we certainly see ability and improvement, especially as last season went on," said Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt. "But when you look at the situation on the whole and take everything into account, we don't feel that the investment that would be required to keep him is equal to the performance."

"We have needs at multiple positions, as well as for depth, and we want to be in the best position for us to address those needs."

It would have cost the Cardinals $11 million in salary in 2007 had they franchised Davis.

"It's not about cap room or trying to make it fit, but it's about paying the right value for Leonard Davis," said Rod Graves, Cardinals Vice President of Operations.

Davis was the second pick overall in the 2001 draft behind Michael Vick and had his best seasons early in his career, when he was the starting right guard for former coach Dave McGinnis. Davis has yet to make the Pro Bowl.

Davis is best remembered as a dominating rookie playing inside, giving hints at a wonderful future as he learned the pro game. In one monster game his rookie year against Chicago, Davis pancaked Brian Urlacher and picked up -- literally picked up -- a blitzing Mike Brown and essentially shot put him.

But his reputation grew in the wrong direction thereafter. He was forced into emergency duty as the starting right tackle because of injuries to Anthony Clement and was serviceable but not great as the replacement.

And then, when Dennis Green replaced McGinnis, Davis was moved to left tackle, the position he was expected all along to play, just as he had while earning All-America status at Texas and vaulting nearly to the top of the draft.

It just didn't work for the 6-foot-6-inch, 365-pound behemoth, and it's not clear exactly why.

Davis' name, however, continues to appear at the top of most lists as the best available left tackle in free agency.

"In fairness to Leonard, we wanted to let him know what our position is so he can move forward and make plans," Graves said. "Our coaching staff has had an opportunity to evaluate Leonard and how he fits in with our team and we feel this is the option that makes the most sense from a football standpoint."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRep...pe=InsideSlant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05