So long Leonard

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I point to the scoreboard. Check our record over the last 5 years and tell me how good our decisions are. This is just another bad move.
Nowhere near as bad as drafting him #2 overall. Nowhere near as bad as keeping him if he didn't want to be in Arizona.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kansas City let Joe Horn go to New Orleans for no compensation.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree. To pay one player 1/10th of the salary cap he'd better be a Pro Bowler and a team leader. Davis was neither here in six years. This team needs leaders. And it needs to spend wisely to get the most value possible. I applaud Whiz.

Amen. As you point out Mitch, paying someone about 1/10 of the total payroll and that person is not off the charts as a contributor....no way. Let's give the new mgt more than the benefit of the doubt and say they have the ability to judge talent and find talent. Graves is quoted as saying we will be very agressive in F/A. Let's take him at his word.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kansas City let Joe Horn go to New Orleans for no compensation.
Skkorp, you keep bringing these up, but I don't see it helping to make a case to release Davis.

Horn went on to a couple of pro bowls in NO, right? I bet KC fans don't exactly thank the Chiefs for that.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Amen. As you point out Mitch, paying someone about 1/10 of the total payroll and that person is not off the charts as a contributor....no way. Let's give the new mgt more than the benefit of the doubt and say they have the ability to judge talent and find talent. Graves is quoted as saying we will be very agressive in F/A. Let's take him at his word.

I want to agree, but our track record just stinks.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would we take Graves at his word? Or trust his judgement for that matter. What exactly has he done to inspire all of this confidence?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skkorp, you keep bringing these up, but I don't see it helping to make a case to release Davis.

Horn went on to a couple of pro bowls in NO, right? I bet KC fans don't exactly thank the Chiefs for that.

Really, it does me a lot of good to know others teams can be stupid also.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, it does me a lot of good to know others teams can be stupid also.

Well, the whine has been that nobody else but the Cards let good people go for no compensation and it's just not true.

Another one. NE let Ty Law go for nothing.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

What new management? We have new coaches but our management hasn't changed. It still the Bidwills and Graves calling the shots. So, given their track record of letting good players go with no compensation while remaining under the salary cap, well, that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt with me.

If they think Davis absolutely stinks as a LT, then fine. Trade him for SOMETHING because not every team feels that way. Personally, I think Davis was darn near a Pro-Bowl RG before Green switched him to LT. That's when he faced speed rushers and constantly got false starts because he had little chance of being quick enough off the snap to stop a quick End. Facing DTs, he was very good.

Whether we keep Davis or not, we need a Left Tackle. But now we have even more holes to fill. He was a mauler as a RG, so why not re-sign him with our 32 MILLION of cap space that we never seem to spend all of because there just aren't enough good players out there and solidify one of our Guard positions? (run on sentences not withstanding, why is this not an option?)

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Big was sort of mediocre. Doesn't seem unreasonable that the new staff should be able to "coach up" a first or second round pick to play at Big's level.

But what do I know.

I agree with your first paragraph. I know if I were signing the checks, looked at our record over the past several years and wound up getting stuck with a guy who is going to be unhappy with the $9 million or so as a franchised player. I don't want into that trick bag, and I too will take a chance that the new coaching staff can identify at least the equal and more than likely someone better. A group of us take the emotional route and blame Graves and Co. . Someone posted "time will tell" and that is the answer in my opinion. Again, I would not put a significant amout of my funds, like 10% in a basket that has shown very little so far. Do you think he was actually waiting for a big pay day to show up. I seriously doubt it. Let SF run after him and commit to 10% of their payroll.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I loved that as well.

I'll again add to that. Those of you are ready to throw the other side under the bus. Take an objective look at his performance and see if you would write a check for $10-12 million. By the way, the RT position is going to become more important for obvious reasons.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
At this point I point to the scoreboard. Check our record over the last 5 years and tell me how good our decisions are. This is just another bad move.

Using this same argument... keeping LD the last 5 years didn't work either.

It kind of looks like there was no right answer on this topic this year. Its too bad they did not make some move at LT somewhere over the last couple years to try and find a better solution. This does not look like a good year to try to replace him, but they already gave him 5 years to prove himself. Now they are stuck.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This years David Boston.

:wave:

that would be the same david boston that we didn't franchise, let him leave for no compensation, that signed with sd who later traded him for a draft pick, right?

again, we get nothing for a commodity. smart economics there boy.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nowhere near as bad as drafting him #2 overall. Nowhere near as bad as keeping him if he didn't want to be in Arizona.

Again, I will but my two cents in. Mulli echoed my point. The guy wanted out and played like he shouldn't be here. If the league has so few great LT's well then we are in there with everyone else.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You know I'm not 100% positive how the franchise tag works but if it works how I think it does then this was a great move. Tell me if I'm wrong here but if we tag him and nobody else thinks he's worth the money, aren't we stuck paying him 10 mill this year??? Somebody help me out here.

$10M of the $38M we have in cap room that we have NO WAY of spending? yes.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
that would be the same david boston that we didn't franchise, let him leave for no compensation, that signed with sd who later traded him for a draft pick, right?
You forget, tagging someone just to trade then would not be in the "spirit" of the rule according to Rod Graves. Although teams do it pretty much every offseason it's a big no-no in Cardinal Land.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You forget, tagging someone just to trade then would not be in the "spirit" of the rule according to Rod Graves. Although teams do it pretty much every offseason it's a big no-no in Cardinal Land.

So is fielding a winning team apparently....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So, given their track record of letting good players go with no compensation while remaining under the salary cap, well, that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt with me.

That's the hole in Skorps posting of other team's players that were let go for nothing. How many of those left with their current team having the ability to pay the money to keep them without any serious cap implications?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Rod Graves' decision. It seems pretty certain that this was not a decision made to put the best possible team on the field in the attempt to make Super Bowl XLII a home game.

So RG made the decision to not field a good team?

Humm inquiring minds wonder if he can be that dumb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05