So long Leonard

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry S11, but I don't agree with you on this one. I think it was a move made to show the rest of the players that lazy will no longer be tolerated. I'd love to poll the players to see what they think of this move.

Money. If Big was making 6 mil, there is no way that he would have not been resigned/let go.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of all, I'm not concerned about this at all. Not one bit. I am confident in the coaches and the team to do it right. It's bittersweet, because Big is decent, but what I'm most suprised about is that I'm not really worried too much about letting him walk. I thought I would be.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry S11, but I don't agree with you on this one. I think it was a move made to show the rest of the players that lazy will no longer be tolerated. I'd love to poll the players to see what they think of this move.

Money. If Big was making 6 mil, there is no way that he would have not been resigned/let go.

A combination of both, IMO. Too much money for too little production due to a lazy, worthless attitude.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if he had played well enough to deserve more than 6 mil?

A combination of both, IMO. Too much money for too little production due to a lazy, worthless attitude.

Then he would have been resigned last year or earlier. It definitely is a combination of both money/production.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simple. The Cards team that used to be is no more. Because you are who you are, you expect them to do things to somehow screw up a good start to a new season like they always seem to do. But you overlook the fact that this is not the same old Cardinals.

Every move they have made is towards turning this team into a winner. They got a hard nosed coach, any assistants he wanted (Grimm was a steal), and the pocket book is wide open. They realize they have to perform this year or the money tree will dry up. Believe me, with the taste of money MB has in his mouth, he is not going to pinch pennies now.
I truely believe this was a decision made by Wiz and Grimm and I agree whole heartedly with it. Let's get players like DD and AW and Q. People who want to win. LD does not fit that profile.
How is that you are so sure of all of this?

You chastise K9 because he doesn't know exactly what the decision making process is in the Cards inner sanctum but at the same time you assure us of all the things I bolded above. Tell us what is the extent of your inside knowledge of how and who makes the decisions on player personnel?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Most of all, I'm not concerned about this at all. Not one bit. I am confident in the coaches and the team to do it right. It's bittersweet, because Big is decent, but what I'm most suprised about is that I'm not really worried too much about letting him walk. I thought I would be.

Well, your confidence so far has been rewarded with 3-13, 6-10, 5-11, and 5-11 seasons. So, obviously I have a bridge in Lake Havasu to sell you. Believe me, it's a smokin' deal.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I share the same opinion as Steve. Just because we have all this money doesn't mean that these players will sign here. Also, if we are to sign these guys we will probably have to overpay for them and if we are willing to overpay for other free agents, then why not our own. I agree that Davis is overpaid but I don't see many better options out there.

I have to say that our line is worse today than it was yesterday since we have made this decision. Steinbach is not a LT and Max Starks isn't what I would consider head and shoulders above Davis, not to mention that we would have to give up a first day pick for him. Who else is there? A prayer that Joe Thomas is around at 5? Luke Petigout? Brandon Gorin? As much of a homer as I am, none of these options look like an upgrade for next year. What will happen is that O Ross will start at LT next year. We won;t have any depth and once again we will hear the talk that if only we had an offensive line. Sad sad day.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im good with this.. We had the biggest line in the league.. The lines that won were alot smaller.. I have faith Whis and Grimm will get someone that will contribute..

See ya BIG, we hardly knew ya!

ADIOS!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, your confidence so far has been rewarded with 3-13, 6-10, 5-11, and 5-11 seasons. So, obviously I have a bridge in Lake Havasu to sell you. Believe me, it's a smokin' deal.

I'm not confident in the past. But I don't live there. How is it, sitting back in the stench of 2003?

I'm confident in this staff we have assembled, and the way we've gone about it. Given the ambivelance I feel towards Big and the fact that I wanted him gone, only with a draft pick in his place, I'm feeling pretty good.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
So, are some of you STILL thrilled with this move? Low-risk, high-reward. And if you don't have the balls to take a risk like that, you don't belong in an NFL front office.[/QUOTE]

I woud think that some would say, it took balls to let LD go rather than making no move at all towards quality and keeping him. Why reward a guy for mediocre play. As someone else has said, why pay pro-ball money for someone who never played at a pro-ball level. He was a drive killer at best.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
LT is highest paid position on the line because teams need to protect the blind side of the QB. This is football basics man. Now our blind side is the right tackle. There arent many left handed qb's. Its kinda rare.

Leinart can see the DE coming from his left. Not his right.

Great so now Leinart can see it when he gets hit now? What sense does that make? Blind side or not, like Jason said most teams don't switch their best pass rusher around based on which arm the opposing QB throws with.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
For those of you happy about letting Big go, explain to the rest of us who we are going to take to replace him. There is absolutely no one available to replace him. Was he great LT? No, but he is far and away the best FA tackle available. I'm still curious as to who you guys have starting for us at LT next year. For those claiming confidence in the new staff, thats great, but they are COACHES, and none of them has prior experience with acquiring players in FA. If you have that much confidence in them as coaches you should want to keep someone with the enormous untapped talent Davis has. The person we are depending on to acquire his replacement is Rod Graves, who has done nothing in the past to inspire confidence in this arena.

I knew a month ago we would let him go. Why, because of the 4 options we had, it was far and away the worst decision, and the history of team and management tells us no matter what they will always make the wrong decision. Maybe, and thats a big maybe, Joe Thomas will be available at #5, and maybe he is destined to be a great LT and if he is there, worse case scenario is you draft him, move Big to RT where he doesn't have to face the speed rushers. Then move Wells to back up LT, and Ross to back up RT and you build lots of depth on what was a previously depleted area.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not confident in the past. But I don't live there. How is it, sitting back in the stench of 2003?

I'm confident in this staff we have assembled, and the way we've gone about it. Given the ambivelance I feel towards Big and the fact that I wanted him gone, only with a draft pick in his place, I'm feeling pretty good.

I don't think we're living there "but those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."

We've got two lessons that we're ignoring.

#1 Don't get rid of a player with value for nothing.

History: The list of players we let walk for nothing. Hearst, Jones, Miller, etc.

Haven't we learned our lesson yet with letting valuable players go for nothing in return?

#2 Don't cut a player at a position of need without a viable replacement.

History: Pete Kendall. The Jets have long said he was the key pick up for their OL. Denny wanted to get people with the right attitude and cut a guy that could do the job better than anyone else on our roster. Again, #1 applies here as well as we could have received SOMETHING for a key piece to anyone's offensive line.

Honestly, if Graves thinks that Big isn't worth the money, it means very little to me as, to date, he hasn't fielded a winner. But what I will say is that regardless of how little he values Big, OTHER teams think of him as a commodity and we should get something for it.

From a business stand point, it's just stupid. Let's say there's a man who is really short on cash, his kids are starving and he happens to have a Babe Ruth rookie card. Let's also say that he thinks Ruth was a total drunk and he just hate drunks. In fact, he thinks Ruth is a complete bum. People pass him on the street, people with money and groceries. They see his card and say "Wow, I could really use a Babe Ruth rookie card. In fact, I was planning on buying one later today." He shrugs his shoulders, drops the card on the street and walks off mumbling "I've got to be more aggressive and get some food on the table for my kids." This is the guy we have making our FA decisions.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Smells the same as 2006. If I remember correctly the stench of 2003 was caused by letting veteran starters go without having capable replacements.

So that the stench of 2004,2005, and 2006 resulted from having to use high draft picks and large amounts of free agent dollars to replace those starters instead of expanding the talent base.

But like somebody posted earlier: 5-11 with him, 5-11 without him.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Smells the same as 2006. If I remember correctly the stench of 2003 was caused by letting veteran starters go without having capable replacements.

So that the stench of 2004,2005, and 2006 resulted from having to use high draft picks and large amounts of free agent dollars to replace those starters instead of expanding the talent base.
But like somebody posted earlier: 5-11 with him, 5-11 without him.

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!:sad: :mad:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
On the surface, I would say that it is incredibly stupid not to get SOME compensation for LD. I can't believe that we are letting the best T on the FA market AND a 2nd overall pick walk for nothing.

I will see how this plays out, but we had better get someone like Max Starks out of this mess or I will see this as a failure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05