So pissed at D'Antoni

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
So was Eddie House in the first part of the year, want him back?

No...your point is ???

Take a look at the last 4 minutes....nobody stepped up.

4:01PHOSteve Nash missed 3-pt. Jump Shot3:58SADefensive Rebound by Manu Ginobili3:52SABad pass turnover on Manu Ginobili3:38PHOSteve Nash missed Jump Shot, Blocked by Tim Duncan3:33SADefensive Rebound by Bruce Bowen3:10PHOShooting foul on Steve Nash < Big mistake fatigue maybe?3:10SAManu Ginobili made 1st of 3 Free Throws3:10SAManu Ginobili made 2nd of 3 Free Throws3:10SAManu Ginobili made 3rd of 3 Free Throws3:05PHOKurt Thomas missed Layup, Blocked by Tim Duncan2:55 Official Timeout2:50PHOLost ball turnover on Steve Nash, Stolen by Bruce Bowen
terrible inbounds pass from Bell...
2:32SATony Parker made Jump Shot, Assist Bruce Bowen2:23PHOShawn Marion made Finger-roll Layup, Assist Steve Nash1:55PHOShooting foul on Shawn Marion1:55SATim Duncan made 1st of 2 Free Throws1:55SATim Duncan made 2nd of 2 Free Throws1:43PHOSteve Nash missed Layup1:37SADefensive Rebound by Tim Duncan1:31SAOffensive foul on Manu Ginobili1:31SAOffensive Foul turnover on Manu Ginobili1:21PHOLeandro Barbosa missed Jump Shot, Blocked by Tim Duncan1:17PHOOffensive Rebound by Leandro Barbosa1:15PHOLost ball turnover on Leandro Barbosa, Stolen by Manu Ginobili1:08SABad pass turnover on Manu Ginobili1:08PHO30-second Timeout59.0PHOShawn Marion missed Turnaround Jump Shot55.0SADefensive Rebound by Manu Ginobili44.0SABruce Bowen made 3-pt. Jump Shot, Assist Tony Parker34.0PHOShawn Marion missed 3-pt. Jump Shot26.0SADefensive Rebound by Tim Duncan24.0PHOPersonal foul on Raja Bell24.0SATim Duncan missed 1st of 2 Free Throws24.0SATim Duncan missed 2nd of 2 Free Throws24.0PHODefensive Rebound by Shawn Marion23.0PHO30-second Timeout18.0PHOSteve Nash missed 3-pt. Jump Shot13.0PHOOffensive Rebound by Steve Nash11.0SAPersonal foul on Bruce Bowen11.0PHOSteve Nash made 1st of 2 Free Throws11.0PHOSteve Nash made 2nd of 2 Free Throws11.0SA30-second Timeout10.0PHOPersonal foul on Raja Bell10.0SAManu Ginobili made 1st of 2 Free Throws10.0SAManu Ginobili made 2nd of 2 Free Throws10.0 30-second Timeout8.0PHOSteve Nash missed 3-pt. Jump Shot8.0SADefensive Rebound by Michael Finley6.0PHOPersonal foul on Leandro Barbosa6.0SAMichael Finley made 1st of 2 Free Throws6.0SAMichael Finley made 2nd of 2 Free Throws1.0PHORaja Bell made Driving Layup woopeeee1.0SA30-second Timeout

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you know who cares about eddie house or tim thomas. there not on this years suns team. talking about them right now benefits no one!!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No...your point is ???

Take a look at the last 4 minutes....nobody stepped up.

4:01PHOSteve Nash missed 3-pt. Jump Shot3:58SADefensive Rebound by Manu Ginobili3:52SABad pass turnover on Manu Ginobili3:38PHOSteve Nash missed Jump Shot, Blocked by Tim Duncan3:33SADefensive Rebound by Bruce Bowen3:10PHOShooting foul on Steve Nash < Big mistake fatigue maybe?3:10SAManu Ginobili made 1st of 3 Free Throws3:10SAManu Ginobili made 2nd of 3 Free Throws3:10SAManu Ginobili made 3rd of 3 Free Throws3:05PHOKurt Thomas missed Layup, Blocked by Tim Duncan2:55 Official Timeout2:50PHOLost ball turnover on Steve Nash, Stolen by Bruce Bowen
terrible inbounds pass from Bell...
2:32SATony Parker made Jump Shot, Assist Bruce Bowen2:23PHOShawn Marion made Finger-roll Layup, Assist Steve Nash1:55PHOShooting foul on Shawn Marion1:55SATim Duncan made 1st of 2 Free Throws1:55SATim Duncan made 2nd of 2 Free Throws1:43PHOSteve Nash missed Layup1:37SADefensive Rebound by Tim Duncan1:31SAOffensive foul on Manu Ginobili1:31SAOffensive Foul turnover on Manu Ginobili1:21PHOLeandro Barbosa missed Jump Shot, Blocked by Tim Duncan1:17PHOOffensive Rebound by Leandro Barbosa1:15PHOLost ball turnover on Leandro Barbosa, Stolen by Manu Ginobili1:08SABad pass turnover on Manu Ginobili1:08PHO30-second Timeout59.0PHOShawn Marion missed Turnaround Jump Shot55.0SADefensive Rebound by Manu Ginobili44.0SABruce Bowen made 3-pt. Jump Shot, Assist Tony Parker34.0PHOShawn Marion missed 3-pt. Jump Shot26.0SADefensive Rebound by Tim Duncan24.0PHOPersonal foul on Raja Bell24.0SATim Duncan missed 1st of 2 Free Throws24.0SATim Duncan missed 2nd of 2 Free Throws24.0PHODefensive Rebound by Shawn Marion23.0PHO30-second Timeout18.0PHOSteve Nash missed 3-pt. Jump Shot13.0PHOOffensive Rebound by Steve Nash11.0SAPersonal foul on Bruce Bowen11.0PHOSteve Nash made 1st of 2 Free Throws11.0PHOSteve Nash made 2nd of 2 Free Throws11.0SA30-second Timeout10.0PHOPersonal foul on Raja Bell10.0SAManu Ginobili made 1st of 2 Free Throws10.0SAManu Ginobili made 2nd of 2 Free Throws10.0 30-second Timeout8.0PHOSteve Nash missed 3-pt. Jump Shot8.0SADefensive Rebound by Michael Finley6.0PHOPersonal foul on Leandro Barbosa6.0SAMichael Finley made 1st of 2 Free Throws6.0SAMichael Finley made 2nd of 2 Free Throws1.0PHORaja Bell made Driving Layup woopeeee1.0SA30-second Timeout

My point? Tim Thomas was not the answer last night.

I would like to know your point. How does nobody stepping up in the final 4 minutes have to do with Tim Thomas?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Consider this. Marcus Banks has shot the ball better this year than Tim Thomas.

By what measure? Banks's overall FG% is slightly higher, but Thomas shoots (and makes) a lot of threes.

Those of you saying that Tim Thomas has been a flop with the Clippers really need to look at his numbers. The reason it looks like he's had an off season is that his team was no good. It sort of a reverse Robert Horry syndrome -- when you're losing, people don't remember your big shots.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FG% is as good a measure as any.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree can't everyone just give our guys a hand who played their hearts out last night? I think it sucks we ran out a little bit at the end of the game but we had to try and win and almost pulled it off. If we make a few of the shots we missed we win a game most thought we had no chance, you know that has to affect the Spurs too. They know they were lucky to get a win even us playing with out 2 of our best players. The series is not over and I for one am glad we went down fighting last night instead of just accepting we were supposed to lose. Oh and screw the NBA and the BS fixing of game five by suspending our guys!

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
If we had won, would people still criticize D'Antoni for playing our starters for so long? I just don't think Rose and Banks would have helped a whole lot. But then I don't really know since I don't watch practice. Of course he could have assumed we were going to lose and play our scrubs for 48 minutes, but he wanted to give the team a chance to win. We really do not know what shape Rose and Banks are in. When was the last time they played significant minutes?

I guess I look at it a little bit different here. My opinion is that Banks and Rose could have helped out quite a bit. There really is no reason to not rest some of the starters when the Suns were up by 14-15. No I don't think either would have came in and scored a ton, but they probably could at least help to maintain the lead. The bigger picture is that they both could have spelled some of the starters giving them valuable rest time.

It never happened and the Suns looked like they had run out of gas for most of the fourth quarter.

Pop has no problems going to his bench and sitting Duncan and Parker(even at the same time). The problem is that DA has never had any trust in this current bench, due to the fact that 5 players never received much time during the regular season. Now when it comes time to depend on the bench, he is reluctant.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the main problem is in the ball-handler posistion, the #1 guard.

see just about every team out there has a 20-30 yr old starting guard. so when he needs rest, the older-trust-worthy veteran comes in and takes over the reighns for a couple of mins.

in the suns case, its the complete opposite. the older guy is the starter, the back up point guard(banks and others) are younger and not as sure footed.

take a look at the spurs and pistons. who comes in for parker and billups?

edit* the suns really goofed on signing banks, paid him too much, but didn't develope into anything at alll this season. but then agian, who can compare to nash?

Last edited:

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
My point? Tim Thomas was not the answer last night.

I would like to know your point. How does nobody stepping up in the final 4 minutes have to do with Tim Thomas?

Thomas is/was willing to take a big shot. He stepped up. The bigger the shot, the more he wanted the ball. Much like Finley did last night. MF buried a couple of huge shots that kept SanAnt in it. We do not have an assassin.

Last night, we were forced into bad shots with last second chuck ups. Nobody wanted that ball. If we need a 3, Nash is the only threat at crunch time. Shut him down, deny him and we are in trouble. Bell, Marion, Jones are far to inconsistant...and Barbo doesn't have the stomach for it. Amare will take it inside anytime/anywhere...but he often looks like he is forcing it and has become very predictable with his one low post spin move.

Hey, its just an observation...I am not crying for TT...but if you think his pressence would not be useful...I suggest you watch last yrs playoffs and last nights game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's like saying a .290 singles hitter is better than a .280 slugger.

No, it is saying that Banks had a better FG%. You are reading too much into it. Thomas did not have a good of a year that you are claiming, bad team or not. Knowing how bad Banks has been this year, and seeing Thomas's "numbers" slightly worse has to make you wonder.

Thomas is/was willing to take a big shot. He stepped up. The bigger the shot, the more he wanted the ball. Much like Finley did last night. MF buried a couple of huge shots that kept SanAnt in it. We do not have an assassin.

Last night, we were forced into bad shots with last second chuck ups. Nobody wanted that ball. If we need a 3, Nash is the only threat at crunch time. Shut him down, deny him and we are in trouble. Bell, Marion, Jones are far to inconsistant...and Barbo doesn't have the stomach for it. Amare will take it inside anytime/anywhere...but he often looks like he is forcing it and has become very predictable with his one low post spin move.

Hey, its just an observation...I am not crying for TT...but if you think his pressence would not be useful...I suggest you watch last yrs playoffs and last nights game.

Would TT have been useful? Sure. Would Amare and Diaw have been useful? Yep. Thomas didn't take the ball to the basket last year, he was a spot up shooter. Until this series, Barbosa has stepped into that role as a 3 point shooter and has been tearing it up. Nobody expected Barbosa to struggle like this. It was Nash that did not want to take the game over with his shooting in the 4th. I was surprised by it.

Nash is an assassin. Amare is an assassin. We have two of them that want the ball in crunch time.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

well if we dont double TD, we dont leave shooters open. its not like finly demanded the ball and forced himself open w/ defenders all over him.

if what you're saying is true, bowen is also and assassin. which he is not.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rose can't play defense and the Suns lost because the Spurs outside guys shot so well down the stretch. Putting in Rose was not likely to change that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rose can't play defense and the Suns lost because the Spurs outside guys shot so well down the stretch. Putting in Rose was not likely to change that.

I don't think that anyone wanted Rose in the 4th Q. They wanted him in the 3rd maybe when we had a lead, and could have given Nash, Bell, etc a rest.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I honestly think that people underestimate just how much D'Antoni wants guys who can play defense. Some of it is to make up for Nash's limits, but some of it lies in the need to press the ball to get out and run.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No, it is saying that Banks had a better FG%. You are reading too much into it. Thomas did not have a good of a year that you are claiming, bad team or not. Knowing how bad Banks has been this year, and seeing Thomas's "numbers" slightly worse has to make you wonder.

My point is that Thomas's numbers have been significantly better. He had a fine year. The Clippers fans are down on him because they expected him to act like a near-max contract player, instead of a guy who's playing for less than the MLE.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My point is that Thomas's numbers have been significantly better. He had a fine year. The Clippers fans are down on him because they expected him to act like a near-max contract player, instead of a guy who's playing for less than the MLE.

If memory serves, I think his stats early in the season were much worse than his final numbers. I think the other problem was that he was not playing on team with a lot of outside shooters, so he didn't get the kind of open looks he got in Phoenix.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think that people underestimate just how much D'Antoni wants guys who can play defense. Some of it is to make up for Nash's limits, but some of it lies in the need to press the ball to get out and run.

If that were true, Banks would be getting PT. He wants guys that are shooters first and foremost. If you can also play defense, you are golden.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If that were true, Banks would be getting PT. He wants guys that are shooters first and foremost. If you can also play defense, you are golden.

Banks had two problems. First, his shooting was just plain bad. Second, his decision making was worse.

I'm reconcilied that the Suns probably won't be able to unload him, but they will have a summer to work with him. I expect he will be on the Suns Las Vegas summer team and hopefully Dan D'Antoni will give hims some attention. Banks has talent, but needs to work a lot harder if he's going to ever play for the Suns.

DarrinS

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mike D'Antoni is not a good coach.

From what I can tell, Nash is really the coach of your team.

And why does he throw tantrums like a raving psychopath?

OP
OP
H

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Mike D'Antoni is not a good coach.

From what I can tell, Nash is really the coach of your team.

And why does he throw tantrums like a raving psychopath?

talk about a troll.

I give Nash the benefit of the doubt when he complains he's fouled. About 90% he is right and never gets the call. He's been in the league long enough to know what's a foul and what isn't.

Spurs on the other hand always seem to give the ref a cry baby look everytime something is called on them *cough Duncan and Bowen*

DarrinS

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
talk about a troll.

I give Nash the benefit of the doubt when he complains he's fouled. About 90% he is right and never gets the call. He's been in the league long enough to know what's a foul and what isn't.

Spurs on the other hand always seem to give the ref a cry baby look everytime something is called on them *cough Duncan and Bowen*

I'll admit, Duncan does always get that look of "who me?", but so do a lot of other players.

By the way, in terms of GETTING fouled, Duncan gets his arms hammered repeatedely. You can actually hear it if you sit close enough. You don't get fouled like that when you're a spot up jump shooter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By what measure? Banks's overall FG% is slightly higher, but Thomas shoots (and makes) a lot of threes.

Those of you saying that Tim Thomas has been a flop with the Clippers really need to look at his numbers. The reason it looks like he's had an off season is that his team was no good. It sort of a reverse Robert Horry syndrome -- when you're losing, people don't remember your big shots.

i think it's funny that TT had an "off year" when he averaged the same exact amount of points, more rebounds than he did last year, triple the assists and this all came playing on a HORRIFICLY depelted team that played most of the year without BOTH of it's PGs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear Coach D's explanation as to why Rose did not get any minutes at all though. Even if he got 4 minutes like Burke, someone could have got a break.

I so agree. If there was any series in which the pace was perfect for Jalen, it was last nights game. He could have easily given some minutes to the other guys without impacting the speed.

Actually, I would have liked to see him log some minutes at the end when we couldn't buy a bucket.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05