Some Big/Little Thoughts

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was mulling over some things that either haven’t been much discussed on the boards (as far as I could see, maybe some have) or things that have seemingly gone under the radar that may have a huge impact on our season:

- Nate Potter. I’m not saying he’s the LTOTF, but he did a real fine job when stuck in there at the end of last season. I haven’t seen his name too much lately. He’s one example of why we shouldn’t reach on a guy like Lane Johnson (or whoever else). In addition to getting Levi back (who’s not great, but is an upgrade), we may not be as dire at LT as we may think. Yes, we still need a franchise LT, but maybe not this year.

- Larry Warford, I wholly expect him to be there in round 2 for us. He’s a less regarded Chance Warmack. He’s a freight train on the line who moves guys at will. His availability allows us to take the BPA in the 1st and not reach on a Olineman who may not be the true BPA.

- Jeff King. I keep seeing this huge need for a TE pop up in threads, and while I agree we need another TE because the new system is TE heavy (thank goodness, I was so sick of Whiz’s jihad against the use of TE’s), I’ve rarely seen kings name come up. He might be the most unappreciated guy on our roster. I clearly remember him being one of the most consistent offensive go-to’s we had in last years terrible offense. Yes, he lumbers down the field, he’s got about a 3 inch vertical, and he always catches the ball. He’s a great blocker, a team leader, high character guy. I believe he is a great compliment to Houslers speed. So again, yes we need another TE, but Jeff King hasn’t gone anywhere and he should not be underestimated.

- Laron Byrd. He’s one of our Camp stars. Kind of like Stephen Williams back in the day (although hopefully Laron doesn’t turn into SW, who disappeared in-season). If you’ve ever seen him in person, very impressive. Big, big dude. With the dreads and seemingly catches everything, he’s like a poor mans Fitz. I hope he can turn into a star for us. I know that’s wishful thinking, but he has the size and he has the hands, those are 2 things you cant teach. Between him, Larry and Floyd, we may have the largest WR corps in the NFL.

- Housler. He doesn’t count as someone who goes unnoticed. There isn’t a more scrutinized “This is his year” player on the roster than Rob (previously it was CC, who finally emerged). This is a stretch the field offense now. Everyone says how we need to go get a deep threat WR (like Marcus Wheaton for example). Housler is most likely our most valuable deep threat we have. This will sound like homerism and blind hype, but I sincerely believe he can be Vernon Davis in terms of mismatches and burning-the-D with your TE. His speed is phenomenal. How many times in the past 2 years have we seen our Qbs miss a wide open RH deep in the middle of the field? I can count 3 off the top of my head for Kolb alone. Furthermore, a player like Wheaton, or any other high caliber deep threat WR, will require a high draft pick. 2-4. We need those picks for bigger needs. Safety is huge. Oline is huge. Pass rusher is huge. Between Housler, Fitz, Floyd, Byrd, Andre, and even King, I think we are set at the Receiver position.

- Tom Pratt and Jarvis Jones. This is probably the biggest point I wanted to make in this thread. I’m confident a lot of guys see the value in Jarvis Jones and can see through the BS that he’s some mid-late 1st round talent. That’s garbage. JJ dominated the SEC. He is the best Defensive player in the 2013 draft. He put up numbers and tape. He’s not one of these “potential” guys like Ansah or Dion Jordan. He is a fully realized and productive elite pass rusher. Now Tom Pratt is a sort of Pass rush Guru, correct? I’ve yet to see anyone mention what will come of pairing a guy like Pratt with an already elite talent like Jarvis Jones will produce… a potential DPOTY, is what. And I say everyone’s favorite word when I say that, “Potential”, so don’t think I’m just drinking the cool-aid. With this in mind, I say Jarvis Jones should be the #7 pick. And we all should be thrilled by it. This may be the reconciliation for Terrell Suggs all those years ago.

* Might as well throw this in while I’m typing.

If we took JJ - Id like to see Acho moved to ILB. My reasoning: ILB is the QB of the defense. He needs to be the smartest guy on the Defense and Acho is arguably one of the smartest guys in the NFL. He’s also a very big guy. I have no doubt Acho could be a run plugger up the middle for us. This would leave JJ and OBS as our OLB’s. Little (or forgotten) known fact: O’Brien Schofield was a fantastic pass rusher in college. The only reason he’s a Cardinal right now is because he shredded his knee in a the East-West shrine game and fell to the 4th round. A healthy OBS + Tom Pratt is an additional major upgraded that seems to have gone under the radar.

That is all.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I agree with most of it.

I do think TE is a huge need. If we add another athletic TE with some speed we will be a solid offense.

I am not a big fan of OBS, Acho is underrated imo.

Yes on Warford.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Bodha-----good thoughts to consider. Like you, I believe Potter is a keeper, and maybe will be our LTOF. If BA believes he is strong enough to put at guard, he should be strong enough to play tackle, (we all know that he has the athleticism to play outside). Just needs time to learn technique and form, and this is the staff that should be able to do that for us.

Warford can contribute in the run game. I am not sure about his Pass Protect Abilities.

At TE, King and Housler are workable, but we need at least one more guy who can block, but can still go get the ball. There are two or three that caught my eye, any of whom we could pick in this draft to fit the bill.

I would love Jarvis Jones. I would love to see what Pratt could do with guys like JJ, OBSchoe, and Acho.

jjjcardsfan85

Reaction score
Very good points. I would be very happy with jones. I would also be happy with warmack or cooper. Now were getting closer to the draft I get feeling there will be a lot of trades this year and the cards could be in the middle of them. I love Keim hes a great football guy instead of graves who was a great person but he wasn't a football guy. I think we will take a TE later hopefully Nick Kasa. I would like to add at least one maybe two OL this draft as well.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry guys but acho will be switched ilb??

?

Nobody said this IS GOING to happen. Its just a thought I had if we took JJ at OLB.

Thats like asking if Levi will be moved to Guard. Nobody knows, its just speculation right now.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Very good points. I would be very happy with jones. I would also be happy with warmack or cooper. Now were getting closer to the draft I get feeling there will be a lot of trades this year and the cards could be in the middle of them. I love Keim hes a great football guy instead of graves who was a great person but he wasn't a football guy. I think we will take a TE later hopefully Nick Kasa. I would like to add at least one maybe two OL this draft as well.

I like Kasa.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
While one can't argue with Jones' production on the field, never the less there are and have been been plenty saying that he is far from being a leader by example in workouts and practices.

Not sure how that'd play and go over with the vets. Someone like Fitz who really leads by example not just on game day but all the time.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I respects your thoughts, Levi is our LTOTF - and when he isn't funked around with has held his own on an island against the best the NFL has to offer it the worse case scenario from the tackles viewpoint- won't go in depth again but please understand that he has went backwards to defend a pass play over 3000 times in 6 years. more than any other in history - nobody is taking his job- nobody.

I like Jeff King but he can be upgraded- Funny how the premier TE Todd Heap turned into a piece of crap under Whisenhunt? seems to be a trend there- you think! sounds like Phillip Rivers is desperate for his playing life now- Whiz had the opposite of the Midas touch- He turned gold into crap on many occasions.

So I don't know what the hell we have here? We dumped some fantastic talent, and picked up some WTF? Keim is much closer to the mainstream NFL talent grades than Graves. I got my hope up- but not my faith. Coaches and players come and go- but fans and Lil Billy Bidwill are here forever- Rock on

Cards FA offseason link
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index?year=2013&team=22

NFL Free-Agent Grading Scale

Updated: March 8, 2013, 12:26 PM ET

90-100: Elite Player
Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level. ... Rates as one of the top players at his position in the league.
80-89: Outstanding Player
Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game. ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out.
70-79: Good Starter
Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.
60-69: Average Starter
A valuable roster player but not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives great effort and teams are glad to have him, but he may or may not go to the next level.
50-59: Good Backup
This is a player who is really on the bubble and only starts because of a deficiency at the position. ... He lacks complete overall skills, and although he will battle, he will hinder his team's ability to play at a championship level if he is forced to be in the starting lineup consistently over a 16-game season. Teams don't mind having him on the roster but are always looking to upgrade.
40-49: Below Average Backup/Core Special Teamers
Strictly a backup player who is not capable of starting. If forced to, he is only a short-term fix. ... He might make the roster because of special-teams contributions or experience. ... He is the type of player teams consistently look to replace with an upgrade. ... He always will be a borderline roster player.
30: Rookie (Post-draft)
No professional tape to evaluate. These players will have an evaluation based on their college tape, but we will not put a new grade on them until after their rookie seasons. They will carry the 30 grade throughout their first NFL season.
20: Developmental Player
Players with this grade have very little film to evaluate. Such players might flash potential in the preseason but don't have any regular-season performances to judge. they usually have very little experience but have to be tracked due to developmental potential.
10: Evaluation in Process
Need more information

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are low on jerraud powers..i m agree with shaughnessy.best player signed.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While one can't argue with Jones' production on the field, never the less there are and have been been plenty saying that he is far from being a leader by example in workouts and practices.

Not sure how that'd play and go over with the vets. Someone like Fitz who really leads by example not just on game day but all the time.

Not everyone needs to be a leader. We cant have 5 Generals in 1 military unit.

DWash is the Leader. PP and CC are leaders. Theres honestly no reason JJ needs to be a voice. JJ needs to be a Dawg (he was at Georgia, get it, lol) off his leash who sacks the QB and makes big plays. Thats all.

Also, would you rather have a beast in practice who disappears in game (Stephen Williams)?

Or a guy who shows up on game day and dominates? You said yourself his numbers are undeniable. Thats all that matters.

You talkin bout Practice. Not the game, not the actual game, We talkin bout Practice :D

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
La canfora 3 days a go said cardinals are high on dj Fluker and jj Wilcox

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The more time goes on, the more I find myself hoping it is Jarvis Jones with the pick (Warmack was the guy I was hoping for most of the draft process). Assuming the top two tackles are off the board, Jones, Warmack, and Cooper are the guys I am most rooting for us to take.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Not everyone needs to be a leader. We cant have 5 Generals in 1 military unit.

DWash is the Leader. PP and CC are leaders. Theres honestly no reason JJ needs to be a voice. JJ needs to be a Dawg (he was at Georgia, get it, lol) off his leash who sacks the QB and makes big plays. Thats all.

At first, but he'll need to step into a leadership role in the near future. ADub is gone, DWash we don't know about long term now. He's going to need to lead by example eventually. I hope he can, but I'm sure, not sure about it.
He doesn't come w/o issues either.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At first, but he'll need to step into a leadership role in the near future. ADub is gone, DWash we don't know about long term now. He's going to need to lead by example eventually. I hope he can, but I'm sure, not sure about it.

What rookie (whos not a QB) is a leader? Sure, maybe in the FUTURE he may have to be a leader, but thats in the future, not right now. I dont understand your line of thinking here. This applies to all players, not just JJ.

And are you serious about DWash? What do you mean "we dont know about his future"? Are you implying we are going to get rid of him? Put up a poll on the main page and ask how many people expect DWash to not be apart of this team long term. Might be 99% to 1% say thats crazy to even ask. DWash couldve robbed a bank and hes not leaving this team.

He doesn't come w/o issues either.

Such as?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agreed with posters points. I think everyones emberrassed to say Potter could be LTOF but i dont see why. He held his own as a late round rook. Im good with he and Levi over there. Ive been on the Jarvis bandwagon for some days now for some reason.

1. Jarvis
2. Warmack
3. Ansah
4. Fisher
5. Trade back