Somers Reports 49ers Appear To Be Serious About Kurt: Set Up Meeting

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Uhm, no I don't.

They didn't get us anywhere near the superbowl. Sorry.

It was a perfect storm. And we just happened to have the right qb to take advantage of that.

There wasn't a storm made perfect enough to ever take the Cards to the Super Bowl till Whisenhunt arrived.

If you can't see the complete turn around in just the ability to judge talent there is no help for you.

Our drafts and free agent pickups have shown that somebody in the organization has learned to judge talent over the last 5-6 years.

I mean somebody was wise enough to go after and get Kurt Warner to come to Arizona in the first place, right?

Or is that part of your perfect storm too.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I can understand making a tough decision on Warner based on the $$$ if the team was strapped. Which they are not. I could understand the fans being clinical about it and chalking it up as a business decision. But many are not.

The vitriol toward Warner and the giddy anticipation of getting rid of him or teaching him a lesson by sticking it to him in contract talks is really disturbing.

I wonder how long the love affair with Leinart will last? I've seen so much hate toward many of the QB's of the Cardinals over the last few years that I'm very curious to see if there will ever be a guy that some of the "true" fans actually get excited about and what that QB will have to do to maintain the enthusiasm.

Leinart seems to be real close to fitting the bill since he has really struggled for the majority of his career and not been able to stay healthy and has been paid some pretty good money to ride the pine but he's still in the good graces.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I can understand making a tough decision on Warner based on the $$$ if the team was strapped. Which they are not. I could understand the fans being clinical about it and chalking it up as a business decision. But many are not.

The vitriol toward Warner and the giddy anticipation of getting rid of him or teaching him a lesson by sticking it to him in contract talks is really disturbing.

I wonder how long the love affair with Leinart will last? I've seen so much hate toward many of the QB's of the Cardinals over the last few years that I'm very curious to see if there will ever be a guy that some of the "true" fans actually get excited about and what that QB will have to do to maintain the enthusiasm.

Leinart seems to be real close to fitting the bill since he has really struggled for the majority of his career and not been able to stay healthy and has been paid some pretty good money to ride the pine but he's still in the good graces.

It's what happens when players that are supposedly good team guys, believe in the team, want to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda, decide to stick it to the team. When it became clear that Kurt cared about one thing--the Benjamins--that's when he lost a lot of fan support.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've seen so much hate toward many of the QB's of the Cardinals over the last few years that I'm very curious to see if there will ever be a guy that some of the "true" fans actually get excited about and what that QB will have to do to maintain the enthusiasm.

All of those QBs deserved the "hate". 3-13, 4-12, 5-11 with either huge blowout losses or finding new and imaginative ways to lose games you should have won doesn't get you a ton of love from the fans.

Its all about Warner's age. If he were 32 I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of fans would be on Warner's side.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All of those QBs deserved the "hate". 3-13, 4-12, 5-11 with either huge blowout losses or finding new and imaginative ways to lose games you should have won doesn't get you a ton of love from the fans.

Its all about Warner's age. If he were 32 I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of fans would be on Warner's side.

You have a point BUT he ain't 32

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why would he leave Arizona when they are offering him $10 million per season and a better team, to go to a team where he has less weapons and make $13 million a year.

Is that $3 million a year really going to mean that much?

Also, I can see him in San Fran since it is a quick flight back to Arizona. He lives in San Fran, while his family stays here and visits as much as he can. I am sure they would add in the contract he gets to use a private jet as much as he can.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to talk about irrelevancy? THAT"S THE CARDINALS WITH A CAPITOL I.

It took Kurt Warner to lead us out of that.

Some of you freakin' "cards fans" deserve Graves and Bidwill. Honestly.

How fast we forget the Superbowl.

Do you ever let up ?

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's what happens when players that are supposedly good team guys, believe in the team, want to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda, decide to stick it to the team. When it became clear that Kurt cared about one thing--the Benjamins--that's when he lost a lot of fan support.

I you ever got a job and quite hiding out in drama school you might understand about the benjamins.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Which means nothing because fans change their opinion more often than they change their underwear. Warner isn't getting even half of the vitriol that was being dumped on Fitz a year ago and now Fitz is damn near a saint in most fans eyes. And, while the circumstances are different, both were just doing the best business for themselves that they could do.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Tell Kurt and his agent exactly what the max deal is that will ever be offered, and then don't say a damned thing until he either signs with us or signs elsewhere. I'm tired of it. Warner is losing his shine and, quite frankly, it may be time to see what we have in Leinart.

If the Whiners pay him 30 mill with high guaranteed money over two seasons, they just made it easier for us to beat the Whiners. Kurt will NEVER be a good QB with the team they'll have around him next season. NEVER. We'll eat him alive even with our silly hybrid defense. Plus, that'll kill the Whiner cap so they won't be able to bring in talent around him. Sweet.

Hey, I'd still like Warner back, but at a completely sane price.

:yeahthat:

IMHO, there's no reason to eat up a ton of cap space on a 38-yr old QB, even if he did lead us to the SB. Eventually, we're gonna need to see what we have in Matty, so maybe it's sooner rather than later? I'd rather use our cap space to:

1) sign Dansby
2) extend Q & AW...and eventually Dockett too
3) resign Berry
4) sign lower tier FAs to fill holes & solidify depth.

Make Kurt a sensible offer (10-12 mil is somewhat sensible...I like 10 much better than 12). If he takes it, great. If he doesn't, :wave:

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
Hahahahahaha..

Kurt Warner on the 9ers.

Over/Under - 2.5 games (If he signs)

Under. I'd say he gets injuried in the 2nd game with a blindside sack.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How fast we forget the Superbowl.

Do you ever let up ?

Do you? Its been 6 years since ASFN started you would think you would have come up with a new shtick by now.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Its funny. Somers in his blog is still calling it a "tenative" trip. What does that mean?

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
You Warner fans need to relax, he'll be back here.

He's just doing a dog and pony show to get more money, I don't think we're going to bite and I don't think there are really any other bidders.

Besides, I want rid of the guy so it'll never happen, again relax.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its funny. Somers in his blog is still calling it a "tenative" trip. What does that mean?

Warner's agent is hoping the Cards FO will cave and not allow the trip to take place?

I hope they aren't holding their breath.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is deteriorating quickly and mostly because each side has leverage over the other.... with the Cardinals holding a bit more of the reins. Kurt's tactics (albeit his agent's move) are juvenile. History is on the side of the Cardinals as there are not many quarterbacks wit significant performances after 38.

I think Kurt's biggest mistake from a business stand point was to come out and say he would only play for Arizona this year

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think Kurt's biggest mistake from a business stand point was to come out and say he would only play for Arizona this year
A mistake to be sure but can't it be viewed as Warner being up front and the FO using it against him? I thought it was refreshing that he was willing to forego the game playing, thinking he would get a financial commitment from the team. They are still hedging their commitment to him and that's what all the problems are about.

If he gets $12M+ he knows he's the starter and doesn't have to play perfect football to remain the starter. At $10M, the team would have no reservations about just benching him if he had a bad game. I can see both sides of the story but it's no surprise that Warner has no interest in once again having to constantly look over his shoulder and have every mistake scrutinized when so much of the team's success is on his shoulders.

He talked about it more than once last year. The responsibility and pressure of knowing that if he makes a single bad play that the Cardinals would likely lose. Warner's "worst" game in a Cardinals win was 93. Anything below that and they would lose. The Washington and Carolina games come to mind. NYJ, NYG, NE, Philly those were just bad games by all involved, especially Warner in some cases but the fact remains that the team's success was very tied to Warner playing at a really high level.

No way they even get to 9-7 if they have a Kerry Collins approach to the position.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If he gets $12M+ he knows he's the starter and doesn't have to play perfect football to remain the starter. At $10M, the team would have no reservations about just benching him if he had a bad game.

Bad point any way you look at it.

Is there some imaginary line between 10 and 12 mill that once crossed means he cant be benched?

The team would have no reservations benching a 10 mill a year guy half of which being gauranteed is laughable at best and only shows your bias coming through. Take Warners name out of the picture and put in someone elses name that makes 10 mill a year half beig gauranteed and you would not have made that comment.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Its getting weirder. His agent who isnt afraid to schedule and talk on 50 different TV stations and radio shows is now all of a sudden mister secretive.

somers blog said:
Bartelstein declined comment when I asked if Warner still planned to visit the 49ers on Monday.

"I really don’t want to comment specificially on that trip or any other trip," he said. "I've told people I wouldn’t."

He is getting queit now because of one of two reasons.

One, he is using the 49ers, is only tenativaly set to make the trip, and the 49ers are probably playing along becuse they know it means more money we will have to spend on Warner which is always good for the other teams in our division if we have less money. His agent got queit all of a sudden becuase Warner doesnt want to play in S.F. and its nothing but a ploy.

Its a last ditch effort that will only work if we cave or if S.F. money whips him with the 14.5 mill half being gaurateed. which coming from a team run by Singletary doesnt sound like they will do. Unless we completely dont know what sSingletary is about anymore.

Or Two we the Cards asked him to shut up and the Cards along with the AGent are using the 49ers to get an offer to settle the dispute of his worth on the open market once and for all. Which could be the case consiering they didnt even talk today supposedly, they are waiting.

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Is there some imaginary line between 10 and 12 mill that once crossed means he cant be benched?
I think so. 10 is pushing the upper limit but still a number that the team wouldn't hesitate to make a switch. 12 is a number I think they would hesitate to bench him. It's isn't "can't" be benched, it's being fully committed to him as the starter at least for '09.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think so. 10 is pushing the upper limit but still a number that the team wouldn't hesitate to make a switch. 12 is a number I think they would hesitate to bench him. It's isn't "can't" be benched, it's being fully committed to him as the starter at least for '09.

There is absolutely zero data or history what so ever for this assumption. It is only an assumption built through bias nothing more. Was Jax not showing they were committed to Gerrard when they gave him 10 mill a year with far less percantage being gauranteed.

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
Published Sun Mar 1 2:37:34 p.m. PT 2009
(KFFL) Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports unrestricted free-agent QB Kurt Warner (Cardinals) is not fully committed to his visit with the San Francisco 49ers Monday, March 2, and could decide to cancel, according to ESPN's John Clayton.
(Web Site Link)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero data or history what so ever for this assumption. It is only an assumption built through bias nothing more. Was Jax not showing they were committed to Gerrard when they gave him 10 mill a year with far less percantage being gauranteed.
What are you talking about. How many first round/high paid contract players have been stuck with for far too long because of the investment involved? No data? Seriously?

Yes, Jax showed they were committed by giving him a good contract but you seemed leave out the little detail about them cutting Leftwhich and any potential competition for the job. If the Cardinals had Cleo Lemon sitting on the bench and not a perceived savior, I'm sure Warner would feel very comfortable about taking a lot less than he wanted and not worry about his job.