Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trade or free agent signing is a known commodity.

But is it really? Did we get what we expected with Ariza, Chandler, Dudley, Mike James and so on? Sure, it's less of a mystery but you can strike out either way. I'm in favor of trading the pick if it drops out of the top 3 or 4 but not if we're just settling for a mature veteran. We need another player that brings real value to the court and if we have to gamble on a rookie to make that happen, then that's the way we should go IMO and we'll just have to live with more youth. We don't need any more youth but we shouldn't settle for less simply to avoid it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is a terrible, terrible shooter.

This year he's shooting 38% from the field, 30% from 3, and 56% on his freethrows.

Last year he shot 36% from the field, 31% from 3, and 45% on his freethrows.
So you’re saying he’s improved his fg % by 6% and his FT % by 24% in just a year. Not a bad trajectory!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’re saying he’s improved his fg % by 6% and his FT % by 24% in just a year. Not a bad trajectory!

Yeah, in 3 years he'll be making 106% of his 3's. I'm patient, I can wait.

I'd trade for him if the deal was right but I don't think he's worth a top 4 pick anymore and that's without considering the value of Ariza or any bad deal we might have to take back.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Um, he has improved his FG% by 2% and his freethrow shooting by 11%. But that's like saying a booger sandwich is an improvement over a turd sandwich.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, he has improved his FG% by 2% and his freethrow shooting by 11%. But that's like saying a booger sandwich is an improvement over a turd sandwich.

His free throw percentage has gone up 11 points but Ouchie had it right, he's experienced a 24% increase in his free throw shooting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... while Ball could work here and still has upside, giving the Lakers a veteran they want AND a likely lottery pick is too much. If it were Ariza and the Bucks pick, I'd do it. Or Ariza and our top 10 protected pick even, I'd consider it. But not a top 3 protected pick, when with the new rules, we might have the worst record in the league and have a better chance of picking 6 then 3.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Two percent is a 6% increase from his prior percentage. 11% is a 25% improvement from prior percentage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's obvious I have a higher opinion of Lonzo than most of the people on this board.

He is about the best young distributing PG in the league, his defense is very good, and his shot has improved since last season and should continue to improve.

I think his stats this year would be far better if Lebron was not on the team handling a lot of the Lakers playmaking.

It's not that I don't like Lonzo. The Suns need a distributing point guard. It's all about the Suns protecting themselves if they trade their first pick in the draft. I'd like more than top top 3 protection.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course his numbers are down. He isn't a catch and shoot player and is being forced to play with the ball in his hands less with LeBron on the team. If he was playing the role of a more typical PG like he did last year his numbers would probably be up.

For me it's all about what the Suns have to give up to get him. It's all about the Suns giving a lesser amount which could be achieved by putting more protection on their first round pick... say top five. Something not using their first round pick in this draft would be preferable.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not that I don't like Lonzo. The Suns need a distributing point guard. It's all about the Suns protecting themselves if they trade their first pick in the draft. I'd like more than top top 3 protection.

Pretty much lottery protection. I’m not sure why we keep talking about giving up picks for Ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much lottery protection. I’m not sure why we keep talking about giving up picks for Ball.

I guess I missed the part about trading picks for Ball. If the Suns can protect their first round pick sufficiently in a trade for Ball I can live with it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not going to get Ball unless you include our pick. I’d protect it top three. That might not even be enough to get him.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I assume the Lakers wouldn’t do Ariza and the Milwaukee pick? Probably not enough.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Lakers are a division rival and Suns fans enemy #1. We can't get taken to the cleaners on a trade.

Additionally, while the Lakers have LeBron, they are still not a lock destination for other NBA players. They were passed over by just about every major free agent there was over the summer besides LeBron. Not a lot of stars want to play 2nd fiddle to LeBron while being the focus of blame when things aren't going so well.

Remember, they were supposed to land at least 2 other stars to come with LeBron. They got 0.

They haven't proven anything and the Lakers could easily not make the playoffs.

We do not want to help be a catalyst for them returning to glory. We already helped with Chandler, we shouldn't give them an extra push with Ariza. It could come back to haunt us for DECADES.

Thus if we are going to do a deal with the devil for our proverbial soul, we need to get a kings ransom.

Something like Pope and a 1st round pick just won't cut it.

Besides, we all know LeBron will complain, complain, and complain until they make a deal for Ariza or someone else. Let LeBron put the pressure on their front office. We don't need to trade Ariza to the Lakers. The Lakers need this trade far more than we do. If it doesn't go down, it increases tension within Lakerland, and I'm absolutely fine with that. That Lakers team could implode if the season doesn't unfold to LeBron's and everyone else's expectations.

While it isn't a sure thing, LeBron is like Steve Wilks and throws players under the bus with regularity, and it would behoove us to not get in the way of that unless it greatly helps us.

We're not going anywhere, and something like Pope and a low 1st round pick is not going to move the needle in the years ahead.

It's a joke that the reports are they won't include any of their mid tier young talent. Screw that. We prove once again we're a joke of a franchise if we take a lowball offer.

As for the message it sends potential free agents... we don't get the marquee guys anyway. It's not like some top tier guy is suddenly going to come to us because we did a solid to Chandler and Ariza. Plus we can always trade Ariza somewhere else or god forbid he plays out one single season on our team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Lakers are a division rival and Suns fans enemy #1. We can't get taken to the cleaners on a trade.

Additionally, while the Lakers have LeBron, they are still not a lock destination for other NBA players. They were passed over by just about every major free agent there was over the summer besides LeBron. Not a lot of stars want to play 2nd fiddle to LeBron while being the focus of blame when things aren't going so well.

Remember, they were supposed to land at least 2 other stars to come with LeBron. They got 0.

They haven't proven anything and the Lakers could easily not make the playoffs.

We do not want to help be a catalyst for them returning to glory. We already helped with Chandler, we shouldn't give them an extra push with Ariza. It could come back to haunt us for DECADES.

Thus if we are going to do a deal with the devil for our proverbial soul, we need to get a kings ransom.

Something like Pope and a 1st round pick just won't cut it.

Besides, we all know LeBron will complain, complain, and complain until they make a deal for Ariza or someone else. Let LeBron put the pressure on their front office. We don't need to trade Ariza to the Lakers. The Lakers need this trade far more than we do. If it doesn't go down, it increases tension within Lakerland, and I'm absolutely fine with that. That Lakers team could implode if the season doesn't unfold to LeBron's and everyone else's expectations.

While it isn't a sure thing, LeBron is like Steve Wilks and throws players under the bus with regularity, and it would behoove us to not get in the way of that unless it greatly helps us.

We're not going anywhere, and something like Pope and a low 1st round pick is not going to move the needle in the years ahead.

It's a joke that the reports are they won't include any of their mid tier young talent. Screw that. We prove once again we're a joke of a franchise if we take a lowball offer.

As for the message it sends potential free agents... we don't get the marquee guys anyway. It's not like some top tier guy is suddenly going to come to us because we did a solid to Chandler and Ariza. Plus we can always trade Ariza somewhere else or god forbid he plays out one single season on our team.

Bingo. And I would add that it could come back to haunt us even more if we gave up other assets, including a first round pick, for Lonzo Ball only to watch him return to the Lakers after his rookie contract is up. The humiliation would be unbearable, as in Antonio McDyess times a million.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this is a lot of Ball nonsense again
sure, the suns probably felt the Lakers out
but they are in win now mode, they're not looking for draft picks,
and i doubt we're offering our lottery pick

i'd offer them nothing for Ball
the only way i'd work with them is in a 3-way trade for someone else

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Just read the Suns are sending Ariza to the Wizards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, Woj said 2 role players and Austin Rivers, isn't that 3 role players?

2 role players from the Grizzlies, so 2 G-Leaguers and an NBA has-been who doesn't belong in the league any longer.

This is the best James Jones could do???

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow are you F'ing kidding me.

That's down right sad. That's the best you could do. I honestly can't even express how mad I am right now at this damn front office. It's down right pathetic.