Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, actually I think I would.

Look at our history of draft picks at 4 - Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender. Also keep in mind the team does not have a scouting department. I am convinced the plan is to trade away the pick unless it is for Zion anyway.
I think Lonzo would fit almost perfectly with us.

Ya we've drafted some busts. So did the 6'ers. But you want to trade our extremely valuable pick, because it might end up being a bust, for a player that is a bust? At least with the draft pick, we might net a good player. Ball can't shoot. In today's NBA, you need guys that can shoot, especially perimeter players. If we give up the draft pick, it needs to be for a star player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Look at our history of draft picks at 4 - Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender. Also keep in mind the team does not have a scouting department. I am convinced the plan is to trade away the pick unless it is for Zion anyway.

I wonder if that's just bad luck, an indictment of our scouting staff or simply the result of poor coaching? Regardless, I'd hate to see us give up a good pick for someone like Ball. What's he done that makes you think he's the answer for us? I know he's probably being misused a bit with Lebron being so ball dominant but he's still a liability shooting from 3 and from the field.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns have eight players on the roster with two years or less experience.

Ten with three years or less. That is way out of balance.

And two with 14 and 18 years. Twelve out of sixteen extremes.

Isn't adding mid-range experience a priority over even more newbies?

Good experience, but experience.

A trade or free agent signing is a known commodity.

The Suns get one #1 draft pick in their 50 year history and now think they are going to get one every year?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the best case scenario would be Jason Kidd but I don't think Lonzo gets there. His shooting appears to be worse and his stats are down. A trade involving lesser assets might interest me.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
...he's still a liability shooting from 3 and from the field.

and from the free throw line (a major drag for a pg)
imagine the futility of Lonzo and Josh on the floor at the same time

and we haven't even got to his father yet
(though we've been through all this to excess, months ago)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lonzo would be an improvement, but I have significant doubts about him being our long term answer.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and from the free throw line (a major drag for a pg)
imagine the futility of Lonzo and Josh on the floor at the same time

and we haven't even got to his father yet
(though we've been through all this to excess, months ago)

Not to mention the worst kept secret in the world that Ball desires to remain in LA long term, which means that in 2-3 years he just heads back to the Lakers or goes to the Clippers, anyway (which means we act like a minor league team developing a player for someone else's benefit).

With all of that in mind, I don't know that I trade Ariza straight up for Ball, let alone throw in a whole bunch of other assets.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think the best case scenario would be Jason Kidd but I don't think Lonzo gets there. His shooting appears to be worse and his stats are down. A trade involving lesser assets might interest me.
Of course his numbers are down. He isn't a catch and shoot player and is being forced to play with the ball in his hands less with LeBron on the team. If he was playing the role of a more typical PG like he did last year his numbers would probably be up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well it's obvious I have a higher opinion of Lonzo than most of the people on this board.

He is about the best young distributing PG in the league, his defense is very good, and his shot has improved since last season and should continue to improve.

I think his stats this year would be far better if Lebron was not on the team handling a lot of the Lakers playmaking.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well it's obvious I have a higher opinion of Lonzo than most of the people on this board.

He is about the best young distributing PG in the league, his defense is very good, and his shot has improved since last season and should continue to improve.

I think his stats this year would be far better if Lebron was not on the team handling a lot of the Lakers playmaking.

But what about the fact that he is all but guaranteed to return to LA after his rookie deal is up?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I agree with this. Even with his warts and dad (who I think would be MUCH more vocal in our scenario without a Magic and Lebron to put him in his place) I think lingo is a better gamble than Fultz.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree with this. Even with his warts and dad (who I think would be MUCH more vocal in our scenario without a Magic and Lebron to put him in his place) I think lingo is a better gamble than Fultz.

Would you give up our pick top 3 protected for him?

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He is a terrible, terrible shooter.

This year he's shooting 38% from the field, 30% from 3, and 56% on his freethrows.

Last year he shot 36% from the field, 31% from 3, and 45% on his freethrows.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But what about the fact that he is all but guaranteed to return to LA after his rookie deal is up?

Well, I just don't believe that.

Lavar Ball likes to run his mouth, but as his sons get older and older his control over them drops.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a terrible, terrible shooter.

This year he's shooting 38% from the field, 30% from 3, and 56% on his freethrows.

Last year he shot 36% from the field, 31% from 3, and 45% on his freethrows.

I am aware of all that. No one said the guy was a perfect player. If he was we would have no chance of acquiring him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I am aware of all that. No one said the guy was a perfect player. If he was we would have no chance of acquiring him.
This is a good thing to remember. Any player the Suns acquire in a trade is gonna have some warts.

It’s like buying a used car. The first thing you ask is what’s wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

I wouldn't trade the pick for a PG that can't shoot.

You are right about why there is no rush to staff a scouting dept. The suns need experience and I'm sure will trade the pick, unless it turns out to be #1. They'll probably trade it before they know, without protection.

It will be all Sarver, so there is no need to have a permanent GM or scouts meddling. Sarver sure could use a home run and I guarantee he knows it.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This is a good thing to remember. Any player the Suns acquire in a trade is gonna have some warts.

It’s like buying a used car. The first thing you ask is what’s wrong with it.

Trick is finding the player with flaws that you can hide or live with. Ball's shooting means you probably can't play him with Jackson for example, because spacing would be shot. But with Booker, Bridges and Warren? Sure, you can probably make that work.

Whether his defense, passing and hustle overcome his shooting deficiencies is the question Jones will have to figure out.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of course his numbers are down. He isn't a catch and shoot player and is being forced to play with the ball in his hands less with LeBron on the team. If he was playing the role of a more typical PG like he did last year his numbers would probably be up.

and Booker likes the ball in his hands a lot too

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would still just assume acquire a point guard that has a snowball's chance in Phoenix in June of actually wanting to remain with the Suns beyond his current contract. Ball does not fit that category.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whether his defense, passing and hustle overcome his shooting deficiencies is the question Jones will have to figure out.

whatever his hustle level is, it's consistent, to a fault. he doesn't get up for crunch time or play with passion

a couple of months ago he was ridiculed for looking over his shoulder and walking away from his teammate in a scuffle

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
That's exactly the thing you have to look at with this team. They don't need a high scoring PG right now Booker and Warren are more than capable of handling the majority of the scoring load , lonzo is a playmaker and is quietly becoming one of the better defensive PG in the NBA , I think he also an underrated slasher , if his shooting progresses it's a bonus but the playmaking ability he brings could make a huge difference especially for ayton

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
and Booker likes the ball in his hands a lot too
Sure he does, but Booker is no where near as ball dominant as LeBron nor would he be opposed to playing off the ball quite a bit. He simply has to play with the ball in his hands a lot here because we have no one else that is all that effective creating off the dribble (outside of Booker).

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I don't watch the Lakers but our PG needs to shoot well enough to keep the defense honest. We don't have lebron. We need everyone on the the floor to be a scoring threat.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That's exactly the thing you have to look at with this team. They don't need a high scoring PG right now Booker and Warren are more than capable of handling the majority of the scoring load , lonzo is a playmaker and is quietly becoming one of the better defensive PG in the NBA , I think he also an underrated slasher , if his shooting progresses it's a bonus but the playmaking ability he brings could make a huge difference especially for ayton
And they want Ayton to score more going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk