Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dinwiddie just signed a 3-year, $34 million extension with the Nets. You can cross him off the list of potential point guard acquisitions for the Suns, whether or not in a trade for Ariza.

The point guard market is dwindling by the day, and it's looking more and more like we're going to be stuck for the foreseeable future with either the Booker/Okobo/Melton combination, trash like Jeremy Lin or a massive overpay in 2019 for the likes of Rubio.

McD really screwed us at the point guard position.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brooklyn apparently heavily scouted Okobo before the draft and thought he was right behind Doncic as far as international prospects. Could something around an Okobo/Russell swap be in the works?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Dinwiddie just signed a 3-year, $34 million extension with the Nets. You can cross him off the list of potential point guard acquisitions for the Suns, whether or not in a trade for Ariza.

The point guard market is dwindling by the day, and it's looking more and more like we're either going to be stuck for the foreseeable future with the Booker/Okobo/Melton combination, trash like Jeremy Lin or a massive overpay in 2019 for the likes of Rubio.

McD really screwed us at the point guard position.
Wasn't it posted that McDonough wanted to draft a Point Guard with our second pick but Sarver overrode him?

I am not sticking up for McD, because he was a lightweight. But, because of that, he was not a real NBA General Manager or ultimate decision maker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wasn't it posted that McDonough wanted to draft a Point Guard with our second pick but Sarver overrode him?

I am not sticking up for McD, because he was a lightweight. But, because of that, he was not a real NBA General Manager or ultimate decision maker.

I stand corrected. McD and Sarver screwed us at the point guard position. The following are the point guards who are available as free agents in 2019 (our chances in parentheses):

Kyrie Irving (None. Will sign with New York or re-sign with Boston.)
Kemba Walker (None. Will re-sign with Charlotte.)
Goran Dragic (Might be our best option if Kokoskov is still here, and I can see a scenario where we ridiculously overpay him AND keep a grossly undeserving head coach in his position so he can continue to ruin the rest of the team, just to "solve" our point guard woes.)
Eric Bledsoe (Doesn't matter, as it clearly won't be here.)
Terry Rozier (Has proved this year to be nowhere near starter quality, but this might be another candidate for a ridiculous overpay.)
D'Angelo Russell (Ironically might be among our best options overall, as long as we don't grossly overpay.)
Ricky Rubio (See Goran Dragic.)
Derrick Rose (Old, damaged goods. Suns won't pursue him, and for good reason.)
Spencer Dinwiddie (None. Now a Net for at least the next three seasons.)
Darren Collison (See Terry Rozier.)
Jeff Teague (See D'Angelo Russell.)
Patrick Beverley (See Derrick Rose.)
Malcolm Brogdon (Longshot at best, as I believe he will re-sign in Milwaukee.)
Isaiah Thomas (See Eric Bledsoe.)
TJ McConnell (Definitely not an NBA starter, but sadly might be the best we could possibly due without paying max or near max for an average at best player.)
Rajon Rondo (See Derrick Rose and Patrick Beverley.)
Elfrid Payton (See Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas)
Cory Joseph (See TJ McConnell.)
Emmanuel Mudiay (See Terry Rozier.)
Jose Barea (See Derrick Rose and Patrick Beverley.)
Raymond Felton (Ditto.)
Devin Harris (Ditto.)
Jose Calderon (Ditto.)
Shelvin Mack (See TJ McConnell and Cory Joseph.)
Delon Wright (Ditto.)
Tyus Jones (Ditto.)
Michael Carter-Williams (See Terry Rozier and Emmanuel Mudiay.)
Jeremy Lin (Ditto, and also old and damaged goods.)

Looks like our only shots at a starting point guard in free agency in 2019 are either a ridiculous overpay for Dragic or Rubio (both in terms of dollars and in terms of keeping Kokoskov as head coach), a major roll of the dice and still significant overpay for Russell or Teague, or paying a career back-up type such as Rozier, Collison, Mudiay, McConnell, Joseph, Mack, Wright, Jones or Carter-Williams starter money with the unrealistic hope that he materializes into a starter out of nowhere.

Not exactly an attractive group of options, and certainly no reason to conserve cap space for 2019.

The more I consider this, the more I think our most attractive option in terms of getting an NBA level starting point guard is to take the plunge for John Wall.

Last edited:

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I stand corrected. McD and Sarver screwed us at the point guard position. The following are the point guards who are available as free agents in 2019 (our chances in parentheses):

Kyrie Irving (None. Will sign with New York or re-sign with Boston.)
Kemba Walker (None. Will re-sign with Charlotte.)
Goran Dragic (Might be our best option if Kokoskov is still here, and I can see a scenario where we ridiculously overpay him AND keep a grossly undeserving head coach in his position so he can continue to ruin the rest of the team, just to "solve" our point guard woes.)
Eric Bledsoe (Doesn't matter, as it clearly won't be here.)
Terry Rozier (Has proved this year to be nowhere near starter quality, but this might be another candidate for a ridiculous overpay.)
D'Angelo Russell (Ironically might be among our best options overall, as long as we don't grossly overpay.)
Ricky Rubio (See Goran Dragic.)
Derrick Rose (Old, damaged goods. Suns won't pursue him, and for good reason.)
Spencer Dinwiddie (None. Now a Net for at least the next three seasons.)
Darren Collison (See Terry Rozier.)
Jeff Teague (See D'Angelo Russell.)
Patrick Beverley (See Derrick Rose.)
Malcolm Brogdon (Longshot at best, as I believe he will re-sign in Milwaukee.)
Isaiah Thomas (See Eric Bledsoe.)
TJ McConnell (Definitely not an NBA starter, but sadly might be the best we could possibly due without paying max or near max for an average at best player.)
Rajon Rondo (See Derrick Rose and Patrick Beverley.)
Elfrid Payton (See Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas)
Cory Joseph (See TJ McConnell.)
Emmanuel Mudiay (See Terry Rozier.)
Jose Barea (See Derrick Rose and Patrick Beverley.)
Raymond Felton (Ditto.)
Devin Harris (Ditto.)
Jose Calderon (Ditto.)
Shelvin Mack (See TJ McConnell and Cory Joseph.)
Delon Wright (Ditto.)
Tyus Jones (Ditto.)
Michael Carter-Williams (See Terry Rozier and Emmanuel Mudiay.)
Jeremy Lin (Ditto, and also old and damaged goods.)

Looks like our only shots at a starting point guard in free agency in 2019 are either a ridiculous overpay for Dragic or Rubio (both in terms of dollars and in terms of keeping Kokoskov as head coach), a major roll of the dice and still significant overpay for Russell or Teague, or paying a career back-up type such as Rozier, Collison, Mudiay, McConnell, Joseph, Mack, Wright, Jones or Carter-Williams starter money with the unrealistic hope that he materializes into a starter out of nowhere.

Not exactly an attractive group of options, and certainly no reason to conserve cap space for 2019.

The more I consider this, the more I think our most attractive option in terms of getting an NBA level starting point guard is to take the plunge for John Wall.
Walls contract will cripple any team that takes it on , even though I'm not overly confident the suns will even use their cap space to sign top free agents it's still not smart to get rid of that option for 4 years , if it was for only one or two years maybe but 4 is too much

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Walls contract will cripple any team that takes it on , even though I'm not overly confident the suns will even use their cap space to sign top free agents it's still not smart to get rid of that option for 4 years , if it was for only one or two years maybe but 4 is too much

But look at what the alternatives are. What would you do at the point guard position?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
But look at what the alternatives are. What would you do at the point guard position?
I agree with you that none of those are very ideal, I actually kind of like the point guard Ja Murant this year , he needs to put on some size but that could be an option if he continues to look good rather than over paying a free agent

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with you that none of those are very ideal, I actually kind of like the point guard Ja Murant this year , he needs to put on some size but that could be an option if he continues to look good rather than over paying a free agent

If we go that route, we might as well just live and die with Okobo/Melton. Same player.

In any event, this team clearly needs a veteran point guard in the worst way until Okobo, Melton or the likes of Morant learn how to play the position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its just an option if they like him I think he is going to be this year's Trae young, I can see them getting Rubio

I still think Morant's best NBA comparison is pre-injury Isaiah Canaan.

Rubio would not be a bad stop-gap, but he isn't worth anywhere near the $20-25 million a season it would likely take for the Suns to sign him, plus I want Igor Kokoskov gone yesterday, and signing Rubio guarantees that we are stuck with Kokoskov for at least two more seasons, no matter how awful of a head coach he is.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I still think Morant's best NBA comparison is pre-injury Isaiah Canaan.

Rubio would not be a bad stop-gap, but he isn't worth anywhere near the $20-25 million a season it would likely take for the Suns to sign him.
He's not but they are going to probably have to over paying for someone might as well be him, you can't go into next season with a point guard rotation this bad again but we'll have to see if they get anyone in a trade this year

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Brooklyn apparently heavily scouted Okobo before the draft and thought he was right behind Doncic as far as international prospects. Could something around an Okobo/Russell swap be in the works?

No way Brooklyn’s handin Russell another $30 mil.

He’s gotta be on the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
What will it take to get Russell? more than Ariza I'd guess.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
With Dinwiddie signing his extension, does that open D'Lo to Phoenix? Orrrrrrr, did Phoenix require Dinwiddie to agree on an extension for the trade? I'm good with either here in our backcourt.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With Dinwiddie signing his extension, does that open D'Lo to Phoenix? Orrrrrrr, did Phoenix require Dinwiddie to agree on an extension for the trade? I'm good with either here in our backcourt.

As am I. Unfortunately, I think we get neither.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Reports just say Dinwiddie has agreed to a 3/34 extension. Doesn't say he has signed that extension with the Nets

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yikes!
i believe Lonzo's playmaking is exactly what we need
but more importantly, his lack of emotion and aggression
is exactly what we can NOT have any more of
we're just starting to come out of our coma

if he can't get up for playing for Magic in LA with Lebron
what will he and his dad do for Sarver and Igor?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yikes!
i believe Lonzo's playmaking is exactly what we need
but more importantly, his lack of emotion and aggression
is exactly what we can NOT have any more of
we're just starting to come out of our coma

if he can't get up for playing for Magic in LA with Lebron
what will he and his dad do for Sarver and Igor?

I like the idea of getting Lonzo, but I really doubt we have what the lakers want to get him.

They are looking for win now pieces. It would have to be a three team trade, and would probably have to include our first rounder this year.

I doubt this happens

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe a Bradley Beal three way deal could work

Something like Ariza, our 1st, and Lakers 1st to Washington
Lonzo and KCP to the suns
Beal to the Lakers
Melton/Okobo to either lakers or washington

No idea if salary cap wise that would work though

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe a Bradley Beal three way deal could work

Something like Ariza, our 1st, and Lakers 1st to Washington
Lonzo and KCP to the suns
Beal to the Lakers
Melton/Okobo to either lakers or washington

No idea if salary cap wise that would work though
Our first should absolutely be off limits.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our first should absolutely be off limits.

Even with say top 3 protection? That's what I am talking about

I actually think that deal works for all 3 teams.

We basically turn this years lottery pick into a PG - who isn't really in this years lottery, and he already has a year and a half experience,

Washington gets rebuild pieces, and the Lakers get better now.

But it probably won't work cap wise anyway.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even with say top 3 protection? That's what I am talking about

I actually think that deal works for all 3 teams.

We basically turn this years lottery pick into a PG - who isn't really in this years lottery, and he already has a year and a half experience,

Washington gets rebuild pieces, and the Lakers get better now.

But it probably won't work cap wise anyway.

Except Ball hasn't shown to be very good. You want to trade our pick with only top 3 protection for him?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except Ball hasn't shown to be very good. You want to trade our pick with only top 3 protection for him?

Yes, actually I think I would.

Look at our history of draft picks at 4 - Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender. Also keep in mind the team does not have a scouting department. I am convinced the plan is to trade away the pick unless it is for Zion anyway.

I think Lonzo would fit almost perfectly with us.