Speculation on final big man

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Hunter sucks, we could probably get Brendan Haywood for the same package.

Both have rocks for hands, but Haywood is the more complete player on defense and hes way bigger.

Haywood makes too much money though. We are limited to the $3.6 million trade exemption or the $1.9 million left of the MLE, other then that we are forced to trade players away like KT. I think they'd prefer to add pieces not take them away

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned for a while--Viktor Khryapa. I remember when the Suns worked him out (they liked him but wanted him to spend another year in Europe), and the money is right...only problem is, the Bulls won't give him away for free. He might even cost a first-round pick.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns traded Lampe because they needed Jimmy Jackson, not because they thought he was a lost cause. My guess is the Suns have offered him a minimum deal and his agent is shopping for more.

Case against Lampe:

1. He's like most Euros in that he doesn't seem to deal well with contact.

2. He doesn't seem to have the drive to become an exceptional player.

3. He doesn't have a back to the basket game.

Case for Lampe for a minimum contract:

1. He's big (I watched him in warmups and he can dunk without jumping)

2. He can shoot. Once again, I watched him drain three pointers from all angles and has perfect form.

3. He can pass. He had a few years in Europe as a pro and learned a lot of those kinds of skills.

4. He's lost some weight and is a lot quicker than before.

5. He was injured last season and played on a slow, slow team.

6. He's still very young.

7. The Suns are the only team that doesn't care if their big men have back to the basket skills as long as they can shoot.

I'd like to see if he can develop, but I think finding a backup banger is still important.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, don't laugh but a player I like (and I remember the Suns liked at one time) is Predrag Drobnjak. I believe he is age 31. To my knowledge, he is playing over in Europe now so I don't know if he would even be interested in returning to the NBA.

Anyway, he is a rugged player but likes to shoot from the top of the key area and is a good shooter from there. He plays much like a high post center but is rugged enough to play inside when he wants. Anyway because he is a veteran and can shoot, he might fit with Phoenix. I remember he last played well in the NBA with a high tempo team... Seattle, although he moved around after that and never played as well.

He would be a good trailer on the fast break as a last option because he can nail that shot from the top of the key... sort of like TT but without the mobility.

Anyway, I wanted to throw out another name as it was rumbling through my head. Believe me you do not what this guy's face wandering through your mind. :)

Another name already mentioned for the cheap might be Zeljko Rebraca.

If the Suns are willing to spend some more money, I can think of much better players.... but they need to show me the money. I have players in mind for every pocketbook.
:titanic:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More on Lampe. Here is from an interview of Weber on Suns.com

Suns.com: Maciej Lampe was a bright spot for you guys last night. He really lit it up. Can you talk about his play so far?

Weber: "Maciej’s been good. I decided I was going to give him more minutes last night and he responded. He shot the ball extremely well going 8-for-8 and was active defensively, so last night was a good one for him."

Suns.com: What improvements have you seen in his game since he was last in Phoenix?

Weber: "I think he’s hungrier right now. He’s more active and looks like he’s lost a little weight. He’s maybe playing with a little bit more confidence because he understands he’s supposed to be a guy having success out there."

Lampe's stats in Las Vegas were decent, but it is summer league:

18.2 minutes: 10.2 ppg 4.8 rpg 65.5% shooting, 3 for 3 from beyond the arc

cly2tw

Reaction score
Where are Lorenzen Wright and Cato now? I think we might need experience better than potential with our bench bigs. Can we sign and trade for either for our TE or less?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wright seems to have problems with his coaches, but he's probably the best unrestricted big on the FA board right now. Problem is that while he might take a small contract, there is no way the Griz do anything to help the Suns.

Cato was too slow for the Pistons. :thud:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Well, Grizz'd get 3.6m TE plus a 2nd rounder or two if they do a s&t. So, they'd do themselves a favor too.

Cato could be used against Yao and Shaq if we face them on our way to the title next year. He might be cheap anyway.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here's another name nobody's brought up:

Sean Marks, who spent three seasons with the Spurs, has been in contract discussions with Phoenix.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072006.1C.BKNspurs.butler.149b37d.html

Also from that article:

If the Nuggets keep Elson, the Spurs would have about $3 million left to pursue another big man. Memphis' Lorenzen Wright, Indiana's Scot Pollard, Charlotte's Melvin Ely and Jake Voskuhl, Toronto's Loren Woods and Boston's Michael Olowokandi are among the remaining free-agent centers.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pollard played only 47 games last season. He's too much of an injury risk for more than the minimum.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We could always sign Jake "foul a minute" Voshkul for the vet min. He's quicker than half the guys listed earlier.

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I guess Sean Marks is one of their guys. Excerpt from Bickley article:

Sources say the Suns are about to sign another bit player, Sean Marks, a 6-foot-10 sharpshooter who last played for the Spurs.

I won't post the rest of the article because its just Bickley being an ass

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
Sean Marks.
He played for my hometown team in Poland. We called him 'Kiwi'. Really nice guy with very poor basketball skills. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
We could always sign Jake "foul a minute" Voshkul for the vet min. He's quicker than half the guys listed earlier.

Agreed, I would not be upset with either Lampe or Little Jake coming back. Little Jake always plays his heart out every time he steps out on the court. I would rather Jake go in there and foul every 2 minutes, than let his defender blow by him time after time. The sad thing, is that compared to the rest of the bigs we are talking about, he probably has the best hands around the basket.

I am also a bit partial in that 5' baby hook he hit over Duncan for the game winner a couple years ago.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind Sean Marks, but they better not give him two years guaranteed. I have a hard time believing he's a hot commodity right now. I'm not sure I would tie up another roster spot at this point with a player like him. I can only figure that they don't want to lose him to some other desperate team looking for a big man later in the summer.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I'm not sure what the Suns see in Marks.

I couldn't agree more. Actually I think I like Burke better... I can't believe I said that. :thud:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I couldn't agree more. Actually I think I like Burke better... I can't believe I said that. :thud:

Their stats are really similar. The difference is that Marks has been in the NBA a while, so it is hard to imagine he's going to get any better. Burke struggled with the switch from European ball, so he might get better. Still, I'm not counting on him to be a major contributor.

In any case, I think the Suns can do better than Marks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope the Spurs don't get Melvin Ely. I always liked Ely and think he has more skills than what he has shown.

IMO, Ely would serve a similar role for them as Nazr Mohammed and he's younger.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned for a while--Viktor Khryapa. I remember when the Suns worked him out (they liked him but wanted him to spend another year in Europe), and the money is right...only problem is, the Bulls won't give him away for free. He might even cost a first-round pick.

I would gladly give the Bulls a first round pick for Khryapa. He has impressed me every time I have seen him play. He is very versatile and a good rebounder for his size. I keep thinking he is a poor man's Kirilenko.

I hope the Suns have their sights set higher than Sean Marks. Please.

Last edited:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Our new big man?

Found this on the ESPN boards.

From Insider....

Suns Add Marks
Jul 20 - The Arizona Republic reports the Suns are about to sign San Antonio free agent Sean Marks

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Our new "big"?

If this is the case, I'm undecided. Hurts the Spurs, very little, but it does. With them losing Nazr and trading out tRasho, and if Denver matches the contract that the Spurs threw to Elson.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I sure hope the Spurs don't get Elson - I think he'd fit very well into Pops defensive schemes.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlove said:
Found this on the ESPN boards.

If this is the case, I'm undecided. Hurts the Spurs, very little, but it does. With them losing Nazr and trading out tRasho, and if Denver matches the contract that the Spurs threw to Elson.

I don't see that really hurting San Antonio at all.

Joe

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I would gladly give the Bulls a first round pick for Khryapa. He has impressed me every time I have seen him play. He is very versatile and a good rebounder for his size. I keep thinking he is a poor man's Kirilenko.

I hope the Suns have their sights set higher than Sean Marks. Please.

I agree that Khryapa is worth a first rounder. He hasn't been in the league long enough to be a bust and he was a contributor and hustle player for the Blazers. I think he could develop into an excellent shooter as well.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I don't see that really hurting San Antonio at all.

Joe

I mean seriously

I wonder how many Spurs MB's were wondering how much the loss of Paul Shirley cost us....

This is more than a little disappointing IMO. I don't understand how a guy like Ely (great Shot Blocker) Lorenzen Wright (another great shot blocker) Gooden (probably pricey but a guy who puts us over the top IMO) and even a guy i would really like to see signed now that i think his off court problems are behind him, Eddie Griffen. He is the most underrated shot blocker in the league and can shoot the three. Is he not the perfect Suns back up center??????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05