Sporting News on Boldin negotiations

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Joe is right.. It's the structure that's holding the deal back - not the money.

I think a lot of you are forgetting that the Cards offered Boldin $15M on top of his current deal for extending his current deal by one extra year. Boldin turned that down...

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if Jake Plummer was wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun when he raped Bidwill in 1998? Did the organization REAP BENEFITS FOR YEARS TO COME?HELL NO. How many Arizona fans(including me) fell for the ANDRE WADSWORTH IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT BRUCE SMITH BULL. I along with every team in the NFL wanted him on their favorite team. I was so convinced that kid was going to be SPECIAL and there was nothing (and I do mean nothing) that anybody could say to change my mind. How did he work out for the Cardinals. Before that same draft I also thought Ryan Leaf was going to be special. How many NFL fans and teams had him ranked as SPECIAL as Peyton Manning? Alex Spanos got robbed. Leaf and Plummer went laughing all the way to the bank. My point is that there is no guarantee of a player being special until he proves it on the football field for a long period of time. USA TODAY has Boldin ranked as the 18th best receiver in the NFL. Cardinal Law are u telling me there are 18 special receivers in this league? I had a man tell me a few days ago on this board that he was 60 years old and had played some football. He then proceeded to tell me that made him qualified to be the next Ron Wolf and Bill Polian. That is why I like this message board. It gets comical sometimes. I had a man question the talents of Mike Alstott. Yet in that very same draft a few minutes earlier Cardinal law was jumping up and down over the selection of Leeland(I am the next Emmitt Smith) Mcelroy.LOL. I would have took Alstott over Mcelroy ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Hey Cardinal law give me numbers. You play Graves. What is he worth? Since you can tell the future set it up. Remember Boldin is already special now. (You and Bill Polian said so.)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In TSN's NFL Preview issue, one of the "Five Things To Look For" is that Boldin won't get a new deal at all this season, make the Pro Bowl, and then increase his value.

Honestly, at this point, imagining how this offense is going to be (and I'm a little skeptical), I'm almost willing to say that it's worth the risk, and that Anquan will be closer to his 2004 production next season than his rookie season.

Only Larry Fitzgerald will catch 10-12 TDs and Anquan might have 3.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
In TSN's NFL Preview issue, one of the "Five Things To Look For" is that Boldin won't get a new deal at all this season, make the Pro Bowl, and then increase his value.

Honestly, at this point, imagining how this offense is going to be (and I'm a little skeptical), I'm almost willing to say that it's worth the risk, and that Anquan will be closer to his 2004 production next season than his rookie season.

Only Larry Fitzgerald will catch 10-12 TDs and Anquan might have 3.

I also have that preview. PSST..They also have Mccown winning 2 games for us after Warner gets sent to the EMERGENCY ROOM. Did you read that to? You are imagining? You are skeptical? You are almost willing to say? Do you see my point?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
I also have that preview. PSST..They also have Mccown winning 2 games for us after Warner gets sent to the EMERGENCY ROOM. Did you read that to? You are imagining? You are skeptical? You are almost willing to say? Do you see my point?

Huh? What are you talking about?

I'm not 100% on board with TSN's preview. I think that Pompei is on crack in thinking that the Lions are going to win the NFC North, for example, or that both the Titans and the Jags are going to finish 10-6. Or that the Panthers are going to win the NFC South.

But I could see McCown starting a couple games (which I think is what the article actually says), and he's probably capable of winning two games off the bench with no pressure on him--he's done it before. Harry says something similar in his article on the front page.

But I do think that Somer's might be on to something when he's saying that they might not get Boldin's deal done before the end of the season. He follows the team more closely and accurately than anyone.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
You dont think the Lions can win the North? With that talented roster? You dont think Jacksonville could win their division? With that talented roster? I will give u Tennesee. My point in my post before this one is YOU DONT EVEN SOUND SURE URSELF ON HOW BOLDIN IS GOING TO DO? and that is ok. I am can only speculate to.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
You dont think the Lions can win the North? With that talented roster? You dont think Jacksonville could win their division? With that talented roster? I will give u Tennesee. My point in my post before this one is YOU DONT EVEN SOUND SURE URSELF ON HOW BOLDIN IS GOING TO DO? and that is ok. I am can only speculate to.

No, I don't think the Lions can win that division. I think that the Vikings are a much better team than the Lions are. The Lions are only a good team on paper, and they still don't have much of a pass rush to speak of.

Charles Rogers has yet to do anything at the NFL level. Joey Harrington is a bonus-baby version of Trent Dilfer. I love Kevin Jones, but he can't do it himself.

I like their corners, but hate their safeties, and their LB corps doesn't really do anything for me.

I think that the Vikings are stacked, and if Javon Walker comes back I think that the Packers are still a better team than the Lions. The Lions are going to have to show me.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. TSN has the Texans and Jags going 10-6 and finishing second and third in the AFC South (both being wild cards behind Indy). I'm not sure if this is mathmatically possible, but I think that one of those teams might make the playoffs, and I think it's going to be the Jags.

I'm not sure how Boldin's going to do next season, but my gut is that he catches 80 balls for about 800 yards and 4 TDs. I think that Fitz is going to catch 90 balls for 1050 and 12 TDs. It's just a guess, though. I don't think we'll ever again see the Anquan Boldin that we saw in 2003. Not because of the injury so much as I think that the stars aligned in such a way (Jeff Blake, bad offense, plenty of blowouts, etc.) that Anquan will never again put up those kinds of numbers.

Anquan is going to be what he is: an above-average #2 WR.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
If this were the case then Boldin would still be holding out and making a fuss. The only reason he wont hold out is becuase we are still negotiating in good faith with him and Drew.

The reason he want hold out is does not make financial sense for him to do so. That will be the only reason. Same goes for Javon Walker. It is hard to sit on your rear for a year and pass on $600,000 and face next year with teams still not knowing just how good you really are. He should ask his agent to put up the $600K.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Very good Kerouk9. You know ur football. I agree with every single word you just spewed. I also like the Vikings better than the Lions. But read my post again very slowly. I said you dont think the Lions have a CHANCE TO WIN THAT DIVISION? NOTICE THE WORD CHANCE. You was making them sound like an expansion team. I know if I was a Lions fan I woundnt be walking outside blowing my brains out cuz I thought they was outclassed. What if Boldin got Pro Bowl money right now? And he goes out and sucks this season?

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Listen Up!! As far as The Cards coming to Boldin to want to rework his contract, Why Not?? In two Years Boldin Has two NFL Records, while missing 6.5 games in those two years..He is a Bold and fearless player, seeing what Fitz got paid. Boldin knows that he is the OVERALL superior player to Fitz; C'mon Cards Pay Him thw 13mill bous, sign him for 7 years, 34mill, the 13 guaranteed-counting4.86mill against the cap I presume for the 7 years..Is that how the #'s work? :shrug:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Listen Up!! As far as The Cards coming to Boldin to want to rework his contract, Why Not?? In two Years Boldin Has two NFL Records, while missing 6.5 games in those two years..He is a Bold and fearless player, seeing what Fitz got paid. Boldin knows that he is the OVERALL superior player to Fitz; C'mon Cards Pay Him thw 13mill bous, sign him for 7 years, 34mill, the 13 guaranteed-counting4.86mill against the cap I presume for the 7 years..Is that how the #'s work? :shrug:
Two things...

1. How do you know Boldin is a superior player to Fitz? Boldin also outplayed Andre Johnson in his rookie season. That's no longer the case...

2. If a 7 year $34.5M deal is what Boldin is asking for he would have been signed months ago.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you know Boldin is a superior player to Fitz?
How do you know that oranges are superior to peaches?

The two differ in their strengths, weaknesses and playing styles - and what they bring to our offense.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Why do I get the feeling Graves is F.O.S. It seems to me there have never been hard negotiations with Boldin, I sure hope they quit messing around with the guy. Get him locked up, he is the face of the Cards. All I keep reading is Graves saying they are getting ready to start negotiations with him soon for the past year.

Still think Graves is a loser ?.

I keep telling you folks that Rod Graves is a honest straight shooter. If he says something you can beieve it. When will you get it through your heads that it is true ?

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
nidan said:
Still think Graves is a loser ?.

I keep telling you folks that Rod Graves is a honest straight shooter. If he says something you can beieve it. When will you get it through your heads that it is true ?

I never thought he was a loser, just never believed Boldin negotiations were anywhere near what he was saying.

I was wrong Great Job, Graves.:thumbup:

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
No, I don't think the Lions can win that division. I think that the Vikings are a much better team than the Lions are. The Lions are only a good team on paper, and they still don't have much of a pass rush to speak of.

Charles Rogers has yet to do anything at the NFL level. Joey Harrington is a bonus-baby version of Trent Dilfer. I love Kevin Jones, but he can't do it himself.

I like their corners, but hate their safeties, and their LB corps doesn't really do anything for me.

I think that the Vikings are stacked, and if Javon Walker comes back I think that the Packers are still a better team than the Lions. The Lions are going to have to show me.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. TSN has the Texans and Jags going 10-6 and finishing second and third in the AFC South (both being wild cards behind Indy). I'm not sure if this is mathmatically possible, but I think that one of those teams might make the playoffs, and I think it's going to be the Jags.

I'm not sure how Boldin's going to do next season, but my gut is that he catches 80 balls for about 800 yards and 4 TDs. I think that Fitz is going to catch 90 balls for 1050 and 12 TDs. It's just a guess, though. I don't think we'll ever again see the Anquan Boldin that we saw in 2003. Not because of the injury so much as I think that the stars aligned in such a way (Jeff Blake, bad offense, plenty of blowouts, etc.) that Anquan will never again put up those kinds of numbers.

Anquan is going to be what he is: an above-average #2 WR.

Are you on crack? Seriously, what on earth could possibly make you think Anquan is only an above average #2?

Anquan Boldin is Terrell Owens before it all went to his head.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
I said you dont think the Lions have a CHANCE TO WIN THAT DIVISION? NOTICE THE WORD CHANCE. You was making them sound like an expansion team. I know if I was a Lions fan I woundnt be walking outside blowing my brains out cuz I thought they was outclassed. What if Boldin got Pro Bowl money right now? And he goes out and sucks this season?

No, I don't think that the Lions have a chance of winning their division. Maybe if Culpepper and Bennett suddenly went down with season-ending injuries, and Brett Favre and Ahman Green were trapped in a well for a month each, then they'd have a chance to win their division.

Now? As everything stands, I don't think that the Lions even have a chance of winning that division. They have a shot at a wild card, but they have to get past the Giants, Redskins, Cowboys, Cardinals, and Seahawks first.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Even though I pretty much disagree with everything K9 says. I believe he is dead on about the Lions. I am stunned to see them ranked as high they have been by some people.

The Vikings own that division.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1DS said:
Are you on crack? Seriously, what on earth could possibly make you think Anquan is only an above average #2?

Are you kidding? T.O. has gone over 1100 yards receiving the past five years and six of the last seven years. The last time that Terrell didn't score more than 8 TDs was 1999. He's a threat to score a TD every time he touches the ball. If it weren't for Randy Moss, Terrell would be the best WR in the NFL. He makes whatever QB he's playing with better.

Anquan Boldin had one good year, and last year he scored one TD and didn't have an impact in any of the Cards' wins his big rookie year.

The biggest comparison between T.O. and Anquan is that they wear the same number. News flash, buddy, the primary WR in the Valley wears #11. Anquan's being moved back to the slot because he was ineffective on the outside.

Anquan Boldin is probably a Top 5 or 10 #2 WR. Overall, though, I don't know if Anquan Boldin is in the top 25 at his position in the league. Very quickly, here are 20 wideouts all better than Anquan:

1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Marvin Harrison
4. Javon Walker
5. Torry Holt
6. Hinz Ward
7. Chad Johnson
8. Mushin Muhammed
9. Derrick Mason
10. Rod Smith
11. Lee Evans
12. Darrell Jackson
13. Plaxico Burress
14. Jimmy Smith
15. Andre Johnson
16. Joe Horn
17. Eric Moulds
18. Chris Chambers
19. Roy Williams
20. Larry Fitzgerald

Hope that clears everything up for you.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
1DS said:

Don't even try it.

K9 wouldn't be happy with 50 million dollars, control of a small country, and a harem of 23 year old virgins.

He does not think many players are good on this team. Unless you say they are bad, THEN and only then are they good.

Regardless, we got a great WR who has the PROVEN POTENTIAL to catch 100 balls and gain 1200 yards, and catch 10 TD's. Whether he puts up those numbers from here on out remains to be seen. I think he will lead the team in receptions, and recieving yards. But Fitzgerald will lead the team in TD's.

So,let the small minority of lemon suckers go pout in the corner. Even on one of the best days in recent Cardinals history you will still find nay sayers, and lemon suckers. As for Boldin, an above-average #2 reciever? That is ridiculous. It seems many fans have made it a full time job to find everything, and anything negative to say about this guy. All he has done, is catch more balls in his 1st two seasons than any other player. Furthermore, when he is having another great season people will still find things to complain about. Sometimes people refuse to see anyway but there own way...what can you do :shrug:

BUT FOR TODAY,SCREW EM'

DRINK UP THE KOOLAID (spiked it btw), and celebrate. Deal with the negative nellies tomorrow, and enjoy this feeling for the day. We as Cardinals fans deserve it. We have the talent this year to do some world shakin'

What a day! We got a speed running back and one of the best three reciever sets in the league.

Peace
:thumbup:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Anquan Boldin is probably a Top 5 or 10 #2 WR. Overall, though, I don't know if Anquan Boldin is in the top 25 at his position in the league.

Name one #2 WR you would rather have then Boldin.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
. Very quickly, here are 20 wideouts all better than Anquan:

1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Marvin Harrison
4. Javon Walker
5. Torry Holt
6. Hinz Ward
7. Chad Johnson
8. Mushin Muhammed
9. Derrick Mason
10. Rod Smith
11. Lee Evans
12. Darrell Jackson
13. Plaxico Burress
14. Jimmy Smith
15. Andre Johnson
16. Joe Horn
17. Eric Moulds
18. Chris Chambers
19. Roy Williams
20. Larry Fitzgerald

Hope that clears everything up for you.

Very quickly here is all the holes in your list.

Derrick Mason is barely better
Chris Chambers is not
Lee Evans is not, AND HE IS NOT EVEN A TOP 50!
Darrell Jackson? is obviously not, he still has problems catching the ball
Plaxico Burress is not
Andre Johnson is not, he still has problems catching the ball
Roy Williams is about the same
Larry Fitzgerald is not.

But here is were I really think K9 is going out of his way to be difficult. K9, I love reading your stuff here and you make A LOT of good points and you are knowledgable. But this is total B.S.

JEVON WALKER?????? Better than Boldin?

Not only is it untrue. But Jevon Walker has practically done exactly what Boldin has done. He had one good year (and it wasn't as good as Boldin's 2003 year) and he also has Brett Farve throwing to him. I think it is safe to say Farve is better than Blake, or McCown. ALSO, Jevon has a bad knee which calls into question his durability. Jevon also is holding out for a new control.

I have sat here and read post after post that delt with all the reasons you thought Boldin didn't deserve this and that. Why Boldin is not as good as we all think. ETC, ETC, ETC.....at nauseam.

Now you go and put Jevon Walker on a pedistal above Boldin? That is borderline hypocritical. You cannot spend days discussing with people about the quality of players on this team, and not be held accountable. Many of things you said about Boldin can be said about Walker.

Sorry, man needed to say it.

I mean ask 50 people to make a list of the top 20 WR's in the NFL and you get 20 answers.

The better discussion to have is why Fitz is better than Boldin, or visa versa.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Andre Johnson is not, he still has problems catching the ball

Just so you know. AJ has dropped about just as many balls as Boldin has and that is being targeted about the same amount of times as well.

AJ - Targeted - 257, Dropped - 14

Boldin - Targeted - 269, dropped - 13

They both actually dropped a lot of balls their rookie years, 10 each, which put them in the top 10 list I believe.

The AJ, Boldin debate has yet to be settled IMO. Same goes for Roy Williams and Fitz.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Randy Moss-It's a given he's better
2. Terrell Owens- Ditto
3. Marvin Harrison-Ditto
4. Javon Walker -I think Walker is on par with Boldin
5. Torry Holt- It's not popular to say, but I think Holt is on the decline (still better than Boldin, tho)
6. Hinz Ward-Very comparable...I think Boldin will end up being more dynamic

7. Chad Johnson---CJ is better than Boldin
8. Mushin Muhammed--I'd take Boldin
9. Derrick Mason--Ditto
10. Rod Smith--Smith is WAY too old. He was better than Boldin 5 years ago, tho
11. Lee Evans--Nope
12. Darrell Jackson--uh-uh. Nope
13. Plaxico Burress--Maybe Plax is better, we'll see this season, I think
14. Jimmy Smith--See Rod Smith, but Jimmy was better even just 2 years ago
15. Andre Johnson--Probably
16. Joe Horn--See Torry Holt
17. Eric Moulds--See Joe Horn
18. Chris Chambers--Pretty close; I'd go with Boldin
19. Roy Williams--Yup. I do think RW is better.
20. Larry Fitzgerald--I've yet to see why he's better

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Just so you know. AJ has dropped about just as many balls as Boldin has and that is being targeted about the same amount of times as well.

AJ - Targeted - 257, Dropped - 14

Boldin - Targeted - 269, dropped - 13

They both actually dropped a lot of balls their rookie years, 10 each, which put them in the top 10 list I believe.

The AJ, Boldin debate has yet to be settled IMO. Same goes for Roy Williams and Fitz.

Ahh the internet. The only place the truth is shown.

Well shut my mouth then...Cause AJ is better than Boldin.

Boldin is good, really good. But does not have the raw talent AJ has.

AJ's raw skills are amazing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Name one #2 WR you would rather have then Boldin.

I think that this is where the discussion definitely gets interesting. I can say that I'd much rather have Reggie Wayne as a #2 than Anquan. He's the most clear-cut #2 best WR in football.

After that, it's sort of a matter of taste. I think that I would rather have--on this team--Lee Evans (48 Rec, 843 yrds, 17.6 YPC, 9 TDs) than Anquan as a #2. He's a dynamic deep threat that I think would be a great complement to Larry Fitzgerald. Jerry Porter (64 rec, 998 yds, 15.6 YPC, 9 TDs) would be another player that, in a trade with a third- or fourth-round pick, I'd have to think twice about.

Then, it's guys like Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie, Tyrone Calico, Justin McCareins, and others that make up the top 10 of the #2 WRs in the League, but I'd definitely say that I'd rather have Wayne than Boldin, and possible Evans, as well. That's why I think that he's Top 5 among #2s, but not in the top 15 or 20 among players at his position league-wide.

BTW: add Steve Smith to my list of starting WRs that are better than Anquan. There's no arguement. If you really think that DJax isn't better than Anquan, take a look at the numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan