Sporting News on Boldin negotiations

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Cardinals management has taken a "What, me worry?" stance in negotiations to extend the contract of wide receiver Anquan Boldin. The club had hoped to resolve the situation before training camp; now, it's talking about getting it done before the season opens. Despite the club's outward calm, there's little reason to think much progress has been made. . . .

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, that basically is what Graves said on the radio last week. However, in an article yesterday, he said they are approaching both the rookie negotiations and the Boldin with the "same intensity".

Bottom line, when both sides decided they want to finish a deal, it will be done in ten minutes.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling Graves is F.O.S. It seems to me there have never been hard negotiations with Boldin, I sure hope they quit messing around with the guy. Get him locked up, he is the face of the Cards. All I keep reading is Graves saying they are getting ready to start negotiations with him soon for the past year.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Why do I get the feeling Graves is F.O.S. It seems to me there have never been hard negotiations with Boldin, I sure hope they quit messing around with the guy. Get him locked up, he is the face of the Cards. All I keep reading is Graves saying they are getting ready to start negotiations with him soon for the past year.

I have been thinking the same thing...

seesred

Reaction score
ESPN's Greg Garber has a completely different inside the negotiations story. He said that Graves has been meeting with Q's agent and they aren't getting excited yet but feel the deal is close. ESPN.com

GBR
Think Playoffs

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
All I keep reading is Graves saying they are getting ready to start negotiations with him soon for the past year.

If this were the case then Boldin would still be holding out and making a fuss. The only reason he wont hold out is becuase we are still negotiating in good faith with him and Drew.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
If this were the case then Boldin would still be holding out and making a fuss. The only reason he wont hold out is becuase we are still negotiating in good faith with him and Drew.

I think it was just a stunt to try to jumpstart negotiations. Halfway through the first season Graves told him he wanted to extend him. That he deserves to be paid more. At some point he is just gonna get really fed up with it, which he already was because he hired Drew in the first place. And just not want to be resigned here.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
The Cardinals and Mr. Bidwill probably want to get Boldin locked up. But hell they dont know what he is worth yet. I dont have a clue what his market value is. I got an idea. Since the man still has 2 years left on his contract why doesnt management LET BOLDIN PROVE TO EVERYBODY WHAT HE IS WORTH. I want Boldin to get paid when the time is right. I want Boldin to get paid what he is worth. Just because he seems to have a heart of a champion doesnt mean Bidwill should throw his checkbook at him. The same fans will be crying 3 years down the road if we lost Dockett or Dansby. Defense and a running game wins Conference championships and Super Bowls. Just ask Baltimore Tampa Bay Carolina and New England recently.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
The Cardinals and Mr. Bidwill probably want to get Boldin locked up. But hell they dont know what he is worth yet. I dont have a clue what his market value is. I got an idea. Since the man still has 2 years left on his contract why doesnt management LET BOLDIN PROVE TO EVERYBODY WHAT HE IS WORTH. I want Boldin to get paid when the time is right. I want Boldin to get paid what he is worth. Just because he seems to have a heart of a champion doesnt mean Bidwill should throw his checkbook at him. The same fans will be crying 3 years down the road if we lost Dockett or Dansby. Defense and a running game wins Conference championships and Super Bowls. Just ask Baltimore Tampa Bay Carolina and New England recently.

That's great for us and management, but it pisses off Boldin. He wants to get paid now. I'm sure he's not looking forward to playing another year with this salary. Especially if he performs to a pro-bowl level again. That will be 2 yrs. that he's been a pro-bowler and got paid like a second round rookie.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind the ONLY issue on Boldin's contract is how much money is going to be given upfront. I think the parties agree that it'll be around 10 mil, or so. But, Rosenhaus will want most of that in a lump sum while the Cards should try and protect themselves by putting much of the bonus into the future as roster bonuses.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Yeah New England, is this the same New England that won 2 out of the last 4 superbowls, with no running game what so ever. The same one that was winning games with like 1 rushing attempt the whole game. I just want want to make sure were talking about the same team. They got Corry Dillon last year, they had nothing before that.

Also the same Tampa Bay that had who, Alstott as there leading rusher and won with the 27th ranked rushing in the league. Is that the same one.

Boldin has already proved what he can do, if he makes the probowl this year also will we just have to wait till what he does the next year cause were not sure. And how long does this continue, till his contract is up.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
This a no-brainer to happen...

Boldin has positioned himself perfectly in this deal. Did anyone ever doubt The Q would run something less than a perfect route to his new contract?

Once he proclaimed that he would not hold out, the Cardinals were on the clock to reward that behavior as well as his ROY performance of 2003 and his solid production after injury-rehab of 2004. Q recently stated that he was about 80% when he played in 2004.

Denny Green said there was a "right way to do things and a wrong way to do things", in reference to Boldin's missing the begining of voluntary workouts. Well, Q came in and proclaimed he would be in training camp. He also recently stated that he was 100% and looking forward to working with Warner who hasn't lost anything as far as he could see.

Yes, this deal will close soon; it might be after training camp, though. Give the Cardinals some respect here; they are about to do something they don't have to do, but will do to reward and recognize Q's performance AND his behavior. They will do it after they've convinced themselves that Q is good to go as he says and they are about 90% there.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:

I agree. We do not have enough history on Boldin to offer him a giant long term contract. Look at the Cubs and Kerry Wood. Little injuries become season ending or carreer ending injuries. Nomar was signed to a one year contract fortunately and has played only a few games this year for around 9 million. If Boldin has a good year this year he will get the contract he deserves. One full year does not make a superstar. There have been many one year wonders. With the idiot agent he has we very well could see a holdout. If the Cards do not have a good year I do not expect he would sign with us anyway. If he is that good why would he even want a long term contract unless he has some concerns about his health. This push for the big contract should give anyone pause to worry. Only Boldin knows how he really feels about his body.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denny Green Fan

Shades of Joe Johnson anyone. Lock him up now so he doesnt tear it up this year (i mean the the NFL not his knee) and then we are really on the hook........

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
I got an idea. Since the man still has 2 years left on his contract why doesnt management LET BOLDIN PROVE TO EVERYBODY WHAT HE IS WORTH.
Last time I checked wasn't it the Cardinals who came up to Boldin and his agent and told him they would like to redo his deal? Both sides are wrong (Quan and the Cards) IMO.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
john h said:
This push for the big contract should give anyone pause to worry. Only Boldin knows how he really feels about his body.

The Bidwills were the ones to initiate extending his contract.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I Think Antuan Smith was a decent back for the Patriots. Do you remember are defense during Boldins rookie year? I guess u enjoyed watching Boldins numbers getting inflated that year cuz our defense if u remember was giving up 40 points a game. Our best defender if u remember was big play Ray Thompson. Lol. A special player takes his team to a division crown. Until Boldin carries this team on his back he will never be special. I would be more worried about paying a run stuffing defensive tackle than a possesion receiver. But I guess you enjoy watching Russell I play like I am on roller skates Davis. I know a little thing about Pro Football just like you. I have been a fan of the sport for 30 years. What do you mean Boldin has already provedwhat he can do? What do you mean if he has a pro Bowl year we would Have to wait till next Year. Money talks son. They have the cap room. The Cardinals were the ones who approached Boldin BEFORE his knee injury.

Last edited:

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
I Think Antuan Smith was a decent back for the Patriots. Do you remember are defense during Boldins rookie year? I guess u enjoyed watching Boldins numbers getting inflated that year cuz our defense if u remember was giving up 40 points a game. Our best defender if u remember was big play Ray Thompson. Lol. A special player takes his team to a division crown. Until Boldin carries this team on his back he will never be special. I would be more worried about paying a run stuffing defensive tackle than a possesion receiver. But I guess you enjoy watching Russell I play like I am on roller skates Davis. I know a little thing about Pro Football just like you. I have been a fan of the sport for 30 years. What do you mean Boldin has already provedwhat he can do? What do you mean if he has a pro Bowl year we would Have to wait till next Year. Money talks son. They have the cap room. The Cardinals were the ones who approached Boldin BEFORE his knee injury.
Trust me he was not. Does anyone even know if Smith plays in the league anymore. Boldin had two less catches then Larry last year. He was on pace for 100 catches again. His stats were not inflated in anyways in my eyes. The guy would get quadruple teamed cause he was the only threat on offense, and still make things happen. We didn't just pass the ball because we were behind, we also passed cause our run game was beyond terrible.

What do you mean Boldin has already provedwhat he can do? What do you mean if he has a pro Bowl year we would Have to wait till next Year. Money talks son. They have the cap room. The Cardinals were the ones who

Yes and your the one saying we shouldn't resign him. :confused: If his record shattering rookie year wasn't proof enough of what he can do, I am not sure what else it would take to convince someone.

By saying if he makes the probowl twice in three years is that gonna be enough, or are people still gonna be spouting "Well his knees worry me, lets just see what he does this year." Again next year.

seesred

Reaction score
As brought up before it was the Cardinals that first approached the subject during his first year. This deal would have been done last year if he hadn't gotten injuried. It was the Cards doc's who told him he could practice. He went out and tried to run and the rest is history. Q is a pro bowler, would have been a pro bowler last year. WAs the only Card making plays with players all over him in record breaking year one. The most catches any WR Rookie ever. Everyone is entitled to there opinions, but the light is on in the room. Come out of the dark. Q is SPECIAL.

GBR
Think Playoffs

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
seesred said:
This deal would have been done last year if he hadn't gotten injuried.

That and his switch to Drew.

Some poeple are way to hard on Boldin and dont want to give him any money at all and some want to give him the team. Both are wrong IMO.

Isnt there any middle ground. I think there is, which is why the deal is taking so long to get done, both the Cards and Boldin want to protect themselves.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
Cardinals management has taken a "What, me worry?" stance in negotiations to extend the contract of wide receiver Anquan Boldin. The club had hoped to resolve the situation before training camp; now, it's talking about getting it done before the season opens. Despite the club's outward calm, there's little reason to think much progress has been made. . . .

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/

How Green Bay handled the Javon Walker threat. The five major stockholder had a meeting and said no new contract. If he wants to sit or walk have at it as they were in no case redoing his two year contract. He is being paid around $560,000 per year. Javon is showing up as he really does not have a viable option.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JPlay said:
That's great for us and management, but it pisses off Boldin. He wants to get paid now. I'm sure he's not looking forward to playing another year with this salary. Especially if he performs to a pro-bowl level again. That will be 2 yrs. that he's been a pro-bowler and got paid like a second round rookie.

Sort of jumping the gun that he will play like a pro bowler. Maybe he will and maybe he want. That is what this is all about. I want Boldin to stay but not at "any" price.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hey, I feel for Walker. Granted, his hard-line stance was over the top, but hey, he'd clearly far outplayed his contract. Don't give the guff about honoring the contract, because when a player doesn't play well, he gets cut. Walker's no TO. He's making peanuts compared to his production. Like I said, I didn't agree with his earlier hard-line stance, but now that he's acted in good faith, they should work their butts off to extend him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan