Spurs @ Suns - Game Thread - Tuesday May 8, 2007 - 7:30 pm - TNT

sunsfn

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

San Antonio wants to keep the score below 100, but despite the 111-106 Game 1 final , it was Phoenix that appeared to be climbing uphill most of the game, often forced to hit tough shots to keep within striking distance. The Spurs play the league's best transition defense and, as expected, they made Phoenix play half-court ball.

Phoenix's goal is to get shots up quickly, but when San Antonio contains early offense, the Suns must be cautious in their shot selection. San Antonio's D makes each possession too important to exchange quality looks for tempo, and the same way Phoenix' offense relies on quick shots to feed the pace, San Antonio's defense builds momentum from quick-shot misses and long possessions at the other end.

We wrote in the series preview about Amare Stoudemire's need to stay out of foul trouble, as he is Phoenix's only true interior presence. In Game 1 he picked up his third foul in the first half on a crucial four-point swing call (Phoenix was in transition with a six-point lead as the whistle blew, resulting in a potential eight-point lead being reduced to four with a pair of Duncan foul shots), causing Mike D'Antoni to take him off Tim Duncan defensively.
Duncan was then guarded by Kurt Thomas, Boris Diaw and Shawn Marion until the fourth quarter, when D'Antoni switched back to Stoudemire and Phoenix closed the lead. No single player is going to stop Duncan -- and Phoenix did play him straight up pretty much the whole game -- but Stoudemire neutralizes him when they are head-to-head and has a history of doing so. Keeping Stoudemire from early foul trouble will be at the top of Phoenix's agenda as they plan for Game 2.

In the meantime, will Phoenix consider an adjustment should Stoudemire once again land in foul trouble? Duncan scored too easily against Phoenix's alternate defenders and the Suns may look to make other people than Duncan beat them while being guarded straight up by anyone not named Amare. The only consistent double-team on Duncan came off Jacque Vaughn's man, and it proved to be effective, forcing the kickout. Vaughn's looks didn't burn the Suns.

A big storyline from Game 1 was San Antonio's ability to control the boards. The Spurs dominated the glass not with frontline players, but from the 1, 2 and 3 spots, where they posted at 22-7 advantage. In Game 2 the Suns must do a better job in particular of limiting San Antonio to one shot. Keeping wings at home may limit early offense and feed San Antonio's style, but the Spurs' D makes possessions too valuable to allow them an additional 14 shots via the offensive glass.

With Stoudemire in foul trouble, Steve Nash out for most of the final minute and San Antonio largely controlling the pace, Game 1 was nonetheless right there for Phoenix to win, and they will take energy away from this.

Phoenix would be in a precarious place if it were to drop the first two at home, but we like the way the Suns handled adversity in Game 1, despite the loss. Right now San Antonio and Detroit are playing the best ball in the league, but the beauty of the playoffs is that it can change on a dime.

[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]PREDICTION: Phoenix wins Game 2[/FONT]

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to the game tonight. Somehow my girlfriend found 2 lower level tickets available on ticketmaster. If you guys see a fan run onto the court and beat up a ref then will one of you come bail me out of jail? hehe

At least now you won't have to hear me complaining about bad officiating until an hour or two after the game so you should all rejoice!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hey, wow, congratulations jbeecham! That sounds like a great time. Bring the team luck!

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I'm going to the game tonight. Somehow my girlfriend found 2 lower level tickets available on ticketmaster.

Wow that is pretty lucky find. Now send some of that luck the Suns way while you are there!

kps0001

Reaction score
wow I just looked and there are still tix available on ticketmaster. Too bad I don't have the extra $315 to sit in sec 123 row 18 seats 5 and 6.

Last edited:

kps0001

Reaction score
they seem to be all gone now. I was trying to find some a little cheaper. I haven't paid to see a Suns game in the past 5 years. Its tough to pony up the cash but for this game I would have if I could have.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought amare was effective in game 1 and so was KT. dont be surprised if in the offseason Shawn will be dealt.

16 million for a guy disapears at the biggest series of the sarver era. He is a great player but he is too dependent on nash and cries to much. His lack of range the last 2 yrs has forced phx to play smaller and henced getting outrebounded time and time again. when Phx reaches the playoffs, he is going to have to defend PF that are bigger and stronger. I wouldnt be complaining about his offense because usually he plays goos defense. this post season he hasnt done both. I dont care if his hand hurts or whatever. A broken hadn doesnt affect how you play defense or how you rebound the ball which is something he is not doing.

16 points, 6 rebounds, 0 on offense, o steals, 0 blocks. When the going gets tough Shawn game disappears.

When Shawn is gone his game this series is not at fault but a compilation of his infltated contract and inconsistent play. Diaw should get traded but who will take him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion guarding Parker = LOSS.

This sucks. I have ZERO confidence we can win tonight. I hate myself for thinking that.

gonna go treat myself and catch Hot Fuzz. Maybe that will put me in a better mood.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This sucks. I have ZERO confidence we can win tonight. I hate myself for thinking that.

gonna go treat myself and catch Hot Fuzz. Maybe that will put me in a better mood.

I so so agree Cheese. If it doesn't work by halftime and D'Antoni doesn't make an adjustment, we have no shot at winning this game.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're right, Marion on Parker is a bad decision but it doesn't translate into an automatic loss. I really do think we will find a way to win this game.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some way, some how, I think we win this game. We started badly the first game, had everything go bad for us, and still had a chance to win.

The start is critical, as is the start of the 3rd quarter. I'm psyched.

Too many of you are too quick to blame the coach when players fail to perform. Our players lost that last game, not the coach.

kps0001

Reaction score
You're right, Marion on Parker is a bad decision but it doesn't translate into an automatic loss. I really do think we will find a way to win this game.

We don't have a choice really. We lose and we might as well not even go to San Antonio. This series is over if we lose, imo there is no way we come back against the Spurs down 2-0.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Some way, some how, I think we win this game. We started badly the first game, had everything go bad for us, and still had a chance to win.

The start is critical, as is the start of the 3rd quarter. I'm psyched.

Too many of you are too quick to blame the coach when players fail to perform. Our players lost that last game, not the coach.

A hint of the positive coming from you, Skkorp?:) Must be a good week!