Spurs vs Lakers (Western Conference Finals)

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
The Lakers escaped with a game that you can bet SA won't let happen again. They went on a ridiculous scoring drout thats not likely to be repeated. The Lakers still have some issues like stopping Duncan, Parker they went off and will continue to do so, if Manu plays half way decent this game is a blowout on YOUR homecourt. As bad as the Spurs played the second half the Lakers still had to make a furious comeback and the Spurs still had a Manu 3 for the win, man that would have been great to see the Lakers reaction had he made that dagger after the great comeback. I don't think the Spurs are that worried as the matchups favor them and it pretty much showed last night.

All year long they went into those drouts. 3 times they did so in the 3rd quarter against the hornets.

If Manu has a good game its a blowout. OK, if Pau has a decent game, if fisher has a decent game etc etc.

As bad as the lakers played in the first half and got down by 20, they got the W... reguardless of whose court.

If you dont think the Spurs are worried then you must not have caught Pops post game interview. It bothered them that they let up such a huge lead and he rarely shows such emotion.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers escaped with a game that you can bet SA won't let happen again. They went on a ridiculous scoring drout thats not likely to be repeated. The Lakers still have some issues like stopping Duncan, Parker they went off and will continue to do so, if Manu plays half way decent this game is a blowout on YOUR homecourt. As bad as the Spurs played the second half the Lakers still had to make a furious comeback and the Spurs still had a Manu 3 for the win, man that would have been great to see the Lakers reaction had he made that dagger after the great comeback. I don't think the Spurs are that worried as the matchups favor them and it pretty much showed last night.

Man, you have some strange eyes. You see all kinds of weird stuff.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

Yeah, the Lakers have no chance. :lmao:

cly2tw

Reaction score

Actually, Spurs escaped two similar games in game 1 and 2 vs. Suns. By this, Lakers got some psychological advantage and it's Spurs' problem now to regain the confidence.

It's gonna be a very interesting series to say the least.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The Lakers escaped with a game that you can bet SA won't let happen again.

Agreed there. If the Lakers are going to count on being able to get back into a game vs the Spurs after falling down by 20 in the 3rd, we won't win another game. I don't however, think that the Lakers are going to try to repeat that incident.

They went on a ridiculous scoring drout thats not likely to be repeated.
Why do you say it's not likely? It's been a problem for the Spurs all season, why would it change vs. the Lakers? The Lakers are playing some pretty good Defense in the playoffs so far.

The Lakers still have some issues like stopping Duncan, Parker they went off and will continue to do so,
The Spurs have 3 very capable players in Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli. Expecting to stop all 3 is not the plan, it can't be done. One of them is going to "get his" in each game, and we can handle that. It's when all 3 are on that they are a problem. I thought we did as good a job as could be expected on a superior talent like Duncan. We're never going to "stop" him, nor do we need to.

if Manu plays half way decent this game is a blowout on YOUR homecourt.
And IF Odom and Fisher play up to their normal level, we blow them out. If Kobe scores 80 we blow them out, if the Spurs big 3 score 50 each they kill us, if the roof falls in and kills the Spurs bench, we win the series. If if if if.. who cares about if? You can "if" your way to any scenario you want.

As bad as the Spurs played the second half the Lakers still had to make a furious comeback and the Spurs still had a Manu 3 for the win,
Exactly why it's important to make sure we don't get in that position again. I'm confident we can get more then 8pts out of Odom and Fisher, and that Kobe's not going to go a whole half with only 2 points again. Those things are anomalies in this game, and you're acting like they're constants. Flawed logic indeed. The series is going to be a fight for sure, but that was about the worst the Lakers could play and they still won, that's the bottom line.

I don't think the Spurs are that worried as the matchups favor them and it pretty much showed last night.
Oh, I get it now, you watched the wrong game. We're talking about Lakers vs Spurs in the WCF. If you had actually watched the game, you would know how ridiculous that statement is. They have an advantage in some areas, as do the Lakers in other areas. Saying the match ups all favor the Spurs is just another display of how little you know of any team that's not the Suns.

KCi

Reaction score

The Spurs actually go on scoring drought like that all the time. That was one of the key weaknesses I saw in the Spurs all year. Lakers are an explosive offensive team, but they don't rely on just transition baskets to score. The triangle offense is as effective in the half court as it is in the open court. Pop knows this, which is why Popovich has never had the success against Phil Jackson as he had against Dantoni. No offense to the Suns, but Mike's offense was, for lack of a better word, "gimmicky", whereas the triangle is proven to be effective in the playoffs.

Lakers missed about 10 layups that game, ( Odom ,I counted 7, Gasol 2, Sasha 1), that's not gonna happen every game. Kobe's also not going to be completely passive for an entire half. I didn't see anything from the Spurs to suggest that they can guard Kobe. Duncan's the greatest PF in the game, but I haven't seen him consistently make that trademark bank shot of his all season. He looked like the Duncan from 5 years ago. Don't know if he can't that up all series. Maybe against Gasol he can. Parker will always comes out blazing, but in every game against the Lakers( dating back to the three peat years), he always kills the Lakers in the first half but disappear in the 2nd half. Ask any Laker fan, he does this every time. I know against the Suns, he'll kill you guys for a full game. :p Manu's all banged up. He's not going to fully recover in less than 2 days. He's got groin issues, busted ankle, torn nail. etc. It's clearly effecting his game. If Kobe takes on the assignment of guarding him, he might limit his effectiveness the whole series.

The fatigue issue that people bring up for game 1 will be a concern for the Spurs the rest of the series. Every game in the WCF will be played every other day. So the amount of rest they'll get will be the same in game 1 as it is for any other game this series. The Lakers came out really rusty in game 1 as expected for a a team that hasn't played a real game in 5 days. From what I've seen in the past, the team that gets the extra days off usually comes out flat in game 1, but they usually look more fresh the rest of the series. (i.e. Detroit) The other team usually are still in game rhythm from just finishing off their prior series, but the fatigue starts to show as the series progress. Just an observation. Game 1 might have been the best opportunity for the Spurs to steal a game at Staples. Considering that they were up 20 late in the third, they really squadered a golden opportunity. They not only lost a tight game, but they lost the momentum they build for three quarters and gave the Lakers the confidence to know they can beat these guys. The momentum wll now be with the Lakers at the start of game 2, but the Spurs can easily regain mo with a strong start tomorrow night. Should be a great series.:thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers missed about 10 layups that game, ( Odom ,I counted 7, Gasol 2, Sasha 1),

You forgot about Poland!

And by Poland, I mean Fisher. He and Lamar looked like THEY slept on a plane..during the game. No-shows. That won't happen going forward. Dot-oh-four will show up big in this series, mark it down.

KCi

Reaction score
Yea ,both Fisher and Odom really couldn't find any rhythm. They were sooo good for us in the Utah series. The thing I noticed immediately against the Spurs was how well they controlled the tempo. The Lakers tried to push the tempo but the Spurs were so disciplined in getting back. I think that threw the Lakers off in the first half. They were adjusted to the Spurs tempo instead of dictating their tempo. I don't think the Lakers will be able to push the tempo in this series, they need to beat the Spurs in the halfcourt. Thing is, the triangle offense is a very effective half court offense and Kobe is just as deadly in the open court as he is in the half court. I think both Fisher and Odom got so accustomed to getting transition baskets and easy looks that they lost some of that rhythm against the Spurs. I hope they can adjust as the series progresses.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Overall, game 1 was all you can ask for from the Spurs point of view. The Spurs controlled the pace throughout, held odom in check, held Gasol in check for most of the game, have Duncan dominate in the low post, they just can't nail open shots.

Granted a lot of the misses in the 4th quarter were due to the Lakers defense, but there were makable shots, and the Spurs missed them. Also, the passing was horrible down the stretch, and, I hate to say it, the Spurs panicked.

The Spurs need to keep penetrating the lane, and nail open shots.

Spurs in 6.

Bong

Registered
Reaction score
LA Times writer and Bill Plaschke both called this series over in a sweep and I couldn't agree more. The Spurs won't even show up for another game. Time to sit the starters in the 3rd quarter and get rested up for the NBA Finals.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
You forgot about Poland!

And by Poland, I mean Fisher. He and Lamar looked like THEY slept on a plane..during the game. No-shows. That won't happen going forward. Dot-oh-four will show up big in this series, mark it down.

Sorry, most of Fisher's shots were contested by a good defense. Those lay-ups were also contested especially Odom's. They were lay-ups and should have been made but c'mon, it was the defense that took them out of their game not over sleeping. :bang:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Yea ,both Fisher and Odom really couldn't find any rhythm. They were sooo good for us in the Utah series. The thing I noticed immediately against the Spurs was how well they controlled the tempo. The Lakers tried to push the tempo but the Spurs were so disciplined in getting back. I think that threw the Lakers off in the first half. They were adjusted to the Spurs tempo instead of dictating their tempo. I don't think the Lakers will be able to push the tempo in this series, they need to beat the Spurs in the halfcourt. Thing is, the triangle offense is a very effective half court offense and Kobe is just as deadly in the open court as he is in the half court. I think both Fisher and Odom got so accustomed to getting transition baskets and easy looks that they lost some of that rhythm against the Spurs. I hope they can adjust as the series progresses.
Wow, good observations. Nice to see a Laker fan tell it like it is.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweep huh? Yeah ok real likely. LA writers apparently are as delusional as some of their fans.

FYI, Bill Plaschke generally hates the Lakers and makes Dan Bickley look like Michael Lewis.

Bong

Registered
Reaction score
The Spurs were humiliated like no team in history has ever had to endure by that blowout loss. They have basically admitted that they won't be showing up tonight.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
The Spurs were humiliated like no team in history has ever had to endure by that blowout loss. They have basically admitted that they won't be showing up tonight.

Dude, seriously, it's time to lay off the Ganja. Just a bit.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, most of Fisher's shots were contested by a good defense. Those lay-ups were also contested especially Odom's. They were lay-ups and should have been made but c'mon, it was the defense that took them out of their game not over sleeping. :bang:

??. You think I was saying they literally overslept?

And no, it wasn't so much on the defense...they got shots in their comfort zone and they weren't terribly contested...Fish missed his pull up jumpers that were very open. Fish is terrible around the rim anyway, so the layups aren't surprising. But the terrible jumpshots were murder. Late in the game, with a 4 point lead there was an open J for Fish...normally he makes that shot and it ends it. He clanged it. I was actually shocked, because it showed how very off he was...it was one of those shots you expect to go down, and it was asstacular off the rim.

Lamar missing all the gimmees was really bad. He was looking for bailouts. They aren't coming...focus on the backboard, LO!

Last edited:

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
14% FG shooting in the 4th killed the Spurs. Plain and simple. Yes, the Lakers played better Defense in the second half, but I don't care if you have the best defensive team in the NBA, your opponents are NOT gonna shoot 14% in a Qtr on a regular basis. If the Spurs just shot 20%, the Lakers would be behind 1-0 in this series. But that didn't happen.

The Spurs defense pretty much controlled the tempo of the game throughout, Manu needs to step up and score more than 10 points. That's a start. Nobody can guard Timmy. Nobody can guard Kobe either. This is gonna be a fun series.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
??. You think I was saying they literally overslept?

And no, it wasn't so much on the defense...they got shots in their comfort zone and they weren't terribly contested...Fish missed his pull up jumpers that were very open. Fish is terrible around the rim anyway, so the layups aren't surprising. But the terrible jumpshots were murder. Late in the game, with a 4 point lead there was an open J for Fish...normally he makes that shot and it ends it. He clanged it. I was actually shocked, because it showed how very off he was...it was one of those shots you expect to go down, and it was asstacular off the rim.

Lamar missing all the gimmees was really bad. He was looking for bailouts. They aren't coming...focus on the backboard, LO!
I actually thought he (Fisher) did an OK job going to the rim in the second half. He got a great shot driving on Parker. I see a closer game tonight though. No blowouts in quarters and a much more stable game. Lamar will get
his tonight but I see Fisher struggling.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fish is notoriously bad around the rim. Over on LG they track his layups, and he shoots a gawdawful percentage...29%. I love Fisher, but layups are his kryptonite. One of the few players I know of that shoots significantly better far from the hoop than he does close in.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05