Spurs vs Lakers (Western Conference Finals)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would that be dirty? Would you not want one of your players to test an injury that Parker , Ginobli or Duncan might have? Or do you want them to just back off and give the injured player the benefit of the doubt and not take a chance on hurting them more? Your asking to lose if thats the case.

Oh come on. If you don't want to be seen as a Spur fan, you should probably stop defending them with hyperbolic fits. It goes without saying that by "testing" an injury one means intentionally targeting an area for a hard foul hoping to put a guy out. And no, I wouldn't want one of my players to do that. There is a difference in crossing over a guy with a sore knee (good test) and ramming your knee into his on purpose (bad test).

And you know it. So stop.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did Sasha go for in game 6 from behind the arc? 1/11 or something like that. Real clutch.

Everyone has a bad game or two.

What's he shooting beyond the arc in the playoffs? 46%. With a 1/8 from three night in the mix even? You do the math.

And shooting 44% from three in the regular season so...*cough* he is performing better in the postseason...aka..when the pressure is on.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suchabitch is far better.

Glad he's in the heads of other team's fans. That means he's doing something right.

...even as their team's season has been over for two series.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh come on. If you don't want to be seen as a Spur fan, you should probably stop defending them with hyperbolic fits. It goes without saying that by "testing" an injury one means intentionally targeting an area for a hard foul hoping to put a guy out. And no, I wouldn't want one of my players to do that. There is a difference in crossing over a guy with a sore knee (good test) and ramming your knee into his on purpose (bad test).

And you know it. So stop.

I agree Donald. But I have yet to see ANY Spurs this post season purposely "target" someone with the intentions to injure. Of course the haters out there think what Horry did on West was just that. But no way that was a seek and destroy pick. But yet, even though the Spurs have NOT purposely injured any opposing players, they still get called the cheap shot artists. Why?

cly2tw

Reaction score
I agree Donald. But I have yet to see ANY Spurs this post season purposely "target" someone with the intentions to injure. Of course the haters out there think what Horry did on West was just that. But no way that was a seek and destroy pick. But yet, even though the Spurs have NOT purposely injured any opposing players, they still get called the cheap shot artists. Why?

Intention is always hard to discern. So, you can only go by the track record of teams or players. Malone's elbow got that reputation, even though he never "meant" to hurt anybody but "protect" his space, for the same reason Bowen kneeled Nash in the crotch last year. Bowen got people injured. Manu got people injured by his wild flopping acts. Bowen undercut and stepped on others heels etc.

Only blind Spurs fans would look away saying it's merely accidents. Non-Spurs fans called those acts "dirty" for their potential hazardous effects on other teams' players.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the attitudes on this board from the Lakers fans I think lots of people will root for the Spurs. Lakers fans just act like their team is the best even though they haven't really had a tough series yet, it will be classic if they get bitch slapped by the Spurs. By the way if the Suns had gotten the Nugz and then Utah no doubt they would be in the WCF as well, don't act like you are world beaters by beating a couple of chumps. I will give the Lakers some props if they can take it to SA, I just don't see it happening with the matchups, you have one matchup in your favor Kobe vs. anyone. Gasol will NOT score that great against Duncan, you have NO ONE to contain Parker and Ginobli. Its a lose lose situation for alot of people anyway since people don't like either team, so it will be nice to see one of them eliminated but suck at the same time as the other goes to the finals. Not sure it matters as I think Detroit or Boston will win versus either WC team.

cly2tw

Reaction score
With the attitudes on this board from the Lakers fans I think lots of people will root for the Spurs. Lakers fans just act like their team is the best even though they haven't really had a tough series yet, it will be classic if they get bitch slapped by the Spurs. By the way if the Suns had gotten the Nugz and then Utah no doubt they would be in the WCF as well, don't act like you are world beaters by beating a couple of chumps. I will give the Lakers some props if they can take it to SA, I just don't see it happening with the matchups, you have one matchup in your favor Kobe vs. anyone. Gasol will NOT score that great against Duncan, you have NO ONE to contain Parker and Ginobli. Its a lose lose situation for alot of people anyway since people don't like either team, so it will be nice to see one of them eliminated but suck at the same time as the other goes to the finals. Not sure it matters as I think Detroit or Boston will win versus either WC team.

That's exactly how we got into the WCF twice during DA's tenure here. Actually, we never faced anybody as tough as those Utah dudes. We overachieved in 2005 with Diaw and needed 14 games to get through the LA teams. But we always lost to really good teams.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
I find myself rooting for the Spurs, only because their the underdogs. .. How odd.. Oh and I want to see the Spurs beat L.A. in L.A.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bowen's foot stepping underneath jumpshooters is the most dirty play in basketball, IMO. He does it to throw off the shooter, but it's dangerous. And it is intentional.

Horry's hip check was purposeful. His pick was not.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Laker haters act like the Lakers suck. First it was the Denver Nuggets, great offensive team, best 8 seed ever, 50 win team...don't get your hopes up. Lakers beat them and hater say "oh, they weren't that good...they choked...blah blah."

Next the Jazz. Oh, be careful what you wish for! Physical team, nobody can guard Deron. Boozer will dominate down low. Pau won't score on these guys. You can't win in Utah. They were in the WCF last year. You are in trouble. Lakers win, closing out in Utah (after almost winning the two other games in Utah as well) and the haters say "oh, they aren't that good, They choked. Lakers aren't that good."

Now it is "you haven't been tested" which is funny, since we barely dropped two games in Utah and faced a huge game in LA to win or go to Utah for a potential closeout loss. We won that game...and in Utah took it to them in Game 6, withstood a strong rally from a strong opponent and closed out in the "unwinnable" EnergySolutions arena. But no, no test. We've coasted though two terrible teams who had no business in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

And thanks for penciling the Suns in over the Jazz...IIRC, the Suns had major problems against the Jazz for the past couple of years. Talk about counting chickens.

I think we will take the Spurs. With Ariza's return, we have a defender off the bench who can slow down Parker and Gino, even if for only a few minutes. The Lakers offense is potent, and Oberto can't guard either Pau or Odom, so one of them will light it up. Our spot up shooters are money and our bench is deep. These two teams know each other VERY well. It will be a war. I think Lakers win it in 6, but 6 games can be a walk or a war. The Jazz felt like a walk...this one will be a war.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I rather see Spurs hoist thw western championship over Lakers.

And Suns can say they got eliminated by the eventual WCF (Finals) champion.

Suns.. Hornets.... Lakers.

Thats a good path to the finals.

Hornets played as well as anyone during the playoffs, but Spurs simply pushed it up a notch.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ariza may help but pinning any hopes on a guy that hasn't played in how long? Their offense is potent against teams that don't play good D. You won't be getting all those wide open looks against the Spurs thats why they give the Suns fits as well. And as far as Odom or Pau they are not just gonna be able to go down the lane Duncan will have a block fest and we all know Duncan never commits a foul. Parker and Duncan are huge issues for you to stop Pau can't gaurd anyone so Duncan will score at will and you have no one quick enough to stay with Parker. Your best bet would be Ariza on Floppy and to make Duncan and Parker beat you instead of Floppy and his threes or and ones everytime he drives. This will be a huge test for your Lakers to see if those guys can step up and make shots that will be contested not just wide open like they get alot of the time. I agree that this will be a war I just not sure your Lakers are gonna be the winners of it.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ariza may help but pinning any hopes on a guy that hasn't played in how long? Their offense is potent against teams that don't play good D. You won't be getting all those wide open looks against the Spurs thats why they give the Suns fits as well. And as far as Odom or Pau they are not just gonna be able to go down the lane Duncan will have a block fest and we all know Duncan never commits a foul. Parker and Duncan are huge issues for you to stop Pau can't gaurd anyone so Duncan will score at will and you have no one quick enough to stay with Parker. Your best bet would be Ariza on Floppy and to make Duncan and Parker beat you instead of Floppy and his threes or and ones everytime he drives. This will be a huge test for your Lakers to see if those guys can step up and make shots that will be contested not just wide open like they get alot of the time. I agree that this will be a war I just not sure your Lakers are gonna be the winners of it.

You should seriously sit a couple of plays out.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
abomb how about you have something to say or just ****. I was responding to Donald I don't need your childish BS, if you don't have anything intelligent to say, which obviously you don't if thats all you can say, just don't say anything. Geez make a few posts with some legitimate concerns for your team and thats all you can say, makes sense your a Lakers fan.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
pinning any hopes

Who said anything about pinning hopes on Ariza? Donald stated that he should get a little burn, which is true. Just a piece of the puzzle man.

offense is potent against teams that don't play good D.

Which NBA offense isnt (outside the Knicks)? The Lakers play very good D and the numbers support this.

You won't be getting all those wide open looks against the Spurs

Agreed. It will be fewer than the two previous series, but the Lakers shooters (Fish, KB, Sasha, etc) shoot just fine while guarded.

Pau can't gaurd anyone

Untrue. This is a myth. See Camby, Marcus and Boozer, Carlos for starters. Lakers fans fully expect Pau to give up more than usual playing out of position (C rather than PF).

no one quick enough to stay with Parker

The same thing was said about Iverson and Deron. Lakers will throw the kitchen sink (Fisher, Farmer, Sasha, etc) at Parker and hope to minimize his explosion.

Personally, I've gone on record that I dont think this series will be a walk in the park and certainly not the 67% Lakers -33% Spurs that polls and Vegas have made it out to be.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
pinning any hopes

Who said anything about pinning hopes on Ariza? Donald stated that he should get a little burn, which is true. Just a piece of the puzzle man.

offense is potent against teams that don't play good D.

Which NBA offense isnt (outside the Knicks)? The Lakers play very good D and the numbers support this.

You won't be getting all those wide open looks against the Spurs

Agreed. It will be fewer than the two previous series, but the Lakers shooters (Fish, KB, Sasha, etc) shoot just fine while guarded.

Pau can't gaurd anyone

Untrue. This is a myth. See Camby, Marcus and Boozer, Carlos for starters. Lakers fans fully expect Pau to give up more than usual playing out of position (C rather than PF).

no one quick enough to stay with Parker

The same thing was said about Iverson and Deron. Lakers will throw the kitchen sink (Fisher, Farmer, Sasha, etc) at Parker and hope to minimize his explosion.

Personally, I've gone on record that I dont think this series will be a walk in the park and certainly not the 67% Lakers -33% Spurs that polls and Vegas have made it out to be.

about pau's defense: well he is about 3-4 inches taller than boozer, so playing him defensively probably wasn't all that difficult. See (rest of pau's career) for examples of poor defense. Even when he played the suns he had trouble guarding shaq. Also, guarding marcus camby is nothing to be proud of. Camby's offensive game is equal to that of kurt thomas to be honest.

secondly, allen iverson is not nearly as quick as parker anymore. On top of that, allen shoots a lot of 3's and parker almost never does. Parker is going to be able to beat fisher off the dribble, no doubt.Deron williams was not quite as tough of a matchup for the lakers defense (fisher in particular) because: 1) fisher knows williams and used to play with him, and 2) williams is more of a strength guard not a quickness guard. Fisher is also more of a strength guy. Even though the lakers shouldn't have had as hard of a time guarding williams, he still managed to drop 22/12 on average in that series.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This series, IMO, is going to come down to the play of Lamar Odom. Especially on the boards.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Yeah because the Spurs give up a ton of open 3's...come on. You have had a pretty easy road to the WCF thats why your dominant numbers come up. We shall see how your power house Lakers team stands up against a team that plays D and you match up with terribly. By the way who's gonna stop Duncan, Parker, Floppy??

Aren't you the one who said that the Spurs were going to pack the paint against the Lakers? Explain to me how they are going to do that and still cover all of L.A.'s three-point shooters.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This series, IMO, is going to come down to the play of Lamar Odom. Especially on the boards.

Havent we've been saying that since March or so? ;)

He has been awesome since then. :cheers:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duncan, KT, Oberto are gonna be in the paint wise ass I mean Lamar and Pau aren't gonna have the easy time they have been having in the paint. And as far as perimeter D don't think you are gonna find much better than SA. KB is the only shooter you mention besides maybe Fish that has proven they can shoot contested, your other shooters are pretty good when they are wide open, don't count on that. I can't wait to see some of the reactions if the Lakers get stomped, and I hope they do so all the bandwagoners that come out everytime the Lakers are any good. Not referring to the few of you that are long time posters here, just in general and even on sports radio just too much Laker love.

nowagimp

Reaction score
In spite of the annoying homertastic laker fans here, I hope the lakers beat the spurs. Its not about the fans its about the basketball. The lakers do not use flopping to gain a competitive advantage and dont play the refs to the same extent to curry favor. Besides, the lakers are a much more entertaining team to watch and use skill players at just about every position, instead of hack a player thugs with one role. The lakers can also do it, they can beat the spurs on the boards. My only concerns for them is that the bigs stay out of foul trouble (esp on TD), and TP is known to flop when contacted. Fish will have to play TP alot differently than DWil, who doesnt flop at all.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concerns for them is that the bigs stay out of foul trouble (esp on TD), and TP is known to flop when contacted. Fish will have to play TP alot differently than DWil, who doesnt flop at all.

My two major concerns as well. They are going to try to get Pau in early foul trouble, and I sure hope Ronny is ready to provide some solid minutes out there.