Stanton or Palmer

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious on what everyone thinks of this. If Palmer is healthy today, who would you want in there vs. Broncos?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No question Palmer

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer, 100%.

Look, it's a nice story with Stanton these last couple of games. But, there are throws Palmer can make that Stanton just can't. I laughed at the radio DJs today trying to make a controversy at QB. Palmer is the starter, period. The only exception to that would be if Palmer misses 8 to 12 games. Then, they might keep Stanton starter if we are still in a good position for the playoffs.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The more tape there is on Stanton, the harder it is going to be to succeed. He doesnt do anything spectacular...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Palmer, 100%.

Look, it's a nice story with Stanton these last couple of games. But, there are throws Palmer can make that Stanton just can't. I laughed at the radio DJs today trying to make a controversy at QB. Palmer is the starter, period. The only exception to that would be if Palmer misses 8 to 12 games. Then, they might keep Stanton starter if we are still in a good position for the playoffs.

I listened to Bickley, Gambo, and MJ today and while I wasn't surprised to hear this come up, it's still frustrating to listen to. Stanton hasn't even proven that Palmer is expendable after this season let alone be the starter this season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to Bickley, Gambo, and MJ today and while I wasn't surprised to hear this come up, it's still frustrating to listen to. Stanton hasn't even proven that Palmer is expendable after this season let alone be the starter this season.

I suppose that sports talk show hosts try to create controversy to drive up their ratings. Stanton has proven he's really nice to have around as a backup who might have to step in when Palmer is hurt. THAT'S IT.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stanton has shown that he is a backup who can step in and win a game or two. Derek Anderson also showed that he was a capable back up the first week in Carolina. You don't want either of them starting long term.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, let me ask you this. If Palmer's nerve is still giving him problems, are you worried about Stanton being the starter again against Denver? I'm not. :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me ask you this. If Palmer's nerve is still giving him problems, are you worried about Stanton being the starter again against Denver? I'm not. :D

If Palmer still can't go against Denver, then it is what it is. Yes, I will still watch the game as I know the Cards, with that defense we are playing, can compete with anyone.

Drop_D

Rookie
Reaction score
Too bad you fixed the thread title. I was going to vote Satan!

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Me either. I have all the confidence in both our QBs and team

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Palmer.

But while he's still lame, it scares the crap out of me that the only guy we have behind Stanton is LT. If Stanton goes down before Palmer is ready to go, we're hosed.

nickolaskus

Reaction score
I'd go with Palmer, as long as he's 100% and can make all the throws. That being said Stanton has been putting up some pretty good numbers. Sure his comp% was only 55% against the niners, but check out these stats.

13 of Drew Stanton's 33 pass attempts were 20+ yards downfield, most of any QB this season.

Drew Stanton's average depth of target (aDOT) yesterday was 16.7 yards. Highest figure of any QB since Week 11 of 2011.

Gotta give the oline credit for giving him ample time, but he doesn't check down much like a backup would. He knows the offence probably better than carson. And he hasn't had the big turnover. At this point I give a sleight edge to palmer, but Stanton is gaining. If Palmer misses 5-6 more games...it could be Stanton's team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious on what everyone thinks of this. If Palmer is healthy today, who would you want in there vs. Broncos?

Palmer without blinking.

No. He's proved himself as a solid backup QB who can manage a game and make timely throws. But he also misses a lot, and lets some balls sail. Tough and everything you want in a backup though. I'm not worried if he's starting but it does make it that much more difficult.

Honestly, I'm most worried about Palmer's nerve NOT healing and Stanton getting hurt and raw Logan Thomas (whom I like) having to come in. That's the nightmare fuel right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer.

Stanton, so far, appears to be a better game manager, but here and there we're going to need our offense to win a games for us and I'm not sold that he can make consistent plays.

Granted if Palmer plays all year he is almost certain to lose a game via 3-4 turnovers but overall the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Loyalty's statement that DS doesn't do anything special, reminds me of Buddy Ryan's comment about Chris Carter, "All he can do is catch touchdowns (or something like that)". So I'll say all that DS can do is win. At least so far. When we lose, and assuming that DS is still the QB, there will be blame to go around. But not now.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Drew Stanton must remain Cardinals' QB over Carson Palmer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-must-remain-cardinals-qb-over-carson-palmer

attachment.php

PS - Don't shoot the messenger.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Palmer is close to 100%, then he's the guy. But what if he's 75 or 80%? A nerve issue can take away exactly what Palmer does best, drive the ball downfield. It may also increase his proclivity to throw picks. Manning is the most accurate passer in NFL history, so he's been able to overcome the velocity loss. Can Palmer overcome that?