Stanton or Palmer

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The notion that we should start Stanton over Palmer still cracks me up. Palmer throws a beautiful deep ball compared to Stanton.

Compare Palmer's deep ball to Floyd against SD inside our own 10 (complete for 50+) to that of Stanton's to Floyd, that Floyd had to readjust to and come back for. Stanton missed a wide open Brown (the other one) along the left sideline. Then misses Floyd deep along the right sideline (underthrown) after Floyd made a beautiful move inside so that he didn't get pinned to the sidelines (vet move).

There's no comparison. Stanton is good for 30, maybe 40, yards in but has no deep ball at all and doesn't drive the football like you need from a starting QB. Example: his pass to Fitz on the right sideline that almost got picked, believe it was a short curl. That's a good read but horrible throw. You have to drive that football on a rope for those passes. Same thing with out routes to the sidelines (which he rarely, if ever throws) and with square ins.

Stanton can't make any of those throws consistently. And I'm not down on the guy, he's tough both mentally and physically and can make some throws in this offense because we have weapons and because we have Tom Moore and BA who knows what he can do and create plays designed to get guys open with passes he can make.

Fact is Palmer is an NFL QB who can DRIVE the football on a rope to receivers on out routes, square ins, curls, and deep balls consistently.

He would look 10x better in this offense with this talent with this protection than Stanton. There's no question you start Palmer, it's a ridiculous argument.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Man I wish Palmer was half as good as you're making him out to be.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man I wish Palmer was half as good as you're making him out to be.

In this offense he will be. I wish Stanton was half as good as others are making him out to be. This offense elevated Stanton to mediocre.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In this offense he will be. I wish Stanton was half as good as others are making him out to be. This offense elevated Stanton to mediocre.

I was super impressed with him vs SD but Palmer is one of the more inconsistent quarterbacks there is. Guys like that don't seem to change.

But hey it's not impossible I suppose....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azGHDa0rJGw

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was super impressed with him vs SD but Palmer is one of the more inconsistent quarterbacks there is. Guys like that don't seem to change.

But hey it's not impossible I suppose....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azGHDa0rJGw

In this offense, with these weapons, how could anyone even want Stanton with the superior physical weapons and knowledge that Palmer has? It's ridiculous.

Stanton didn't throw picks, I know. He also doesn't make that throw to Floyd to win the game in Seattle last year.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We're all unique, that's what makes us the same.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
So, let's see, were are 3-0.

I know, let's introduce a QB controversy. Nothing brings a team closer together than that. :rolleyes:

Palmer is the starter, Stanton is a nice backup. Period.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol I really miss the QB by lottery system.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I watched the shortcuts version of the game yesterday and there were at least 5 passes in which the defender had the ball in his hands and dropped it or could've made a move to pick it off, such as when he threw it the length of the field to Fitz and the defender was a half step away from intercepting the ball and taking it to the house.

Stanton made a lot of NFL caliber throws, but he also struggles with under throwing and throwing into traffic. That, accompanied with a 52% completion, makes me roll my eyes that there's even a hint of a controversy going on.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I watched the shortcuts version of the game yesterday and there were at least 5 passes in which the defender had the ball in his hands and dropped it or could've made a move to pick it off, such as when he threw it the length of the field to Fitz and the defender was a half step away from intercepting the ball and taking it to the house.

Stanton made a lot of NFL caliber throws, but he also struggles with under throwing and throwing into traffic. That, accompanied with a 52% completion, makes me roll my eyes that there's even a hint of a controversy going on.

Regarding the dropped picks one thing that has characterized this season so far is that opponents are the ones shooting themselves in the foot instead of the Cards. I love it.

Oh and Stanton is just a career 3rd string QB who only is 2nd team because he's Arians pal. Heck the Jets replaced him with Tim Tebow!

:stick: :D

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Regarding the dropped picks one thing that has characterized this season so far is that opponents are the ones shooting themselves in the foot instead of the Cards. I love it.

Oh and Stanton is just a career 3rd string QB who only is 2nd team because he's Arians pal. Heck the Jets replaced him with Tim Tebow!

:stick: :D

Bet the Jets want backsies on that deal.

:D

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of what Stanton's trade value is!?

He is more valuable to the Cards because he knows Arians' complex offense inside and out. He can step in any time he is needed without losing a step.

Dunno if he would be a good fit on another team otherwise the Cards would have received trade offers.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Palmer.

Stanton, so far, appears to be a better game manager, but here and there we're going to need our offense to win a games for us and I'm not sold that he can make consistent plays.

Granted if Palmer plays all year he is almost certain to lose a game via 3-4 turnovers but overall the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Stanton had the come back win with SF. Seems he knows how to come back and win from just seeing that game.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Look at any game with any QB. There could have been a more INTs for any QB and give Sunday. There are always dropped balls, it always happens.

I love this thread as its not complaining about the team for its O or D. Its about 2 good QBs we have on this team and we are arguing over who should start. I'll take this kind of argument over anything else.

I am glad we have a backup we can count on if Palmer goes down again. The concern I have is if Stanton goes down, we will have to rely on LT, and that's scary.

TJ

Reaction score
Look at any game with any QB. There could have been a more INTs for any QB and give Sunday. There are always dropped balls, it always happens.

You're right for the most part, but most QBs don't force balls into triple coverage. The one throw that irritated me was on the first drive of the third quarter when Stanton took about 4 seconds to find an open receiver in the flat and threw a lazy pass to Fitz the length of the field that was nearly ripped away by the corner, which would've resulted in a pick 6. There were numerous throws that Brenneman deemed as "dangerous." It's not qualifying Stanton as a bad QB, but reminding people of the fact that he isn't ready to be the franchise guy, at the moment.

I love this thread as its not complaining about the team for its O or D. Its about 2 good QBs we have on this team and we are arguing over who should start. I'll take this kind of argument over anything else.

I dont like it because it's setting up a potential distraction. When Palmer comes back and has one bad game, or even a bad series, the boo birds and "we want Stanton" cheers are going to surface. As they say, the backup QB always the fan's most favorite player on the team. I'm just glad that Arians has the gall to remind everyone that Palmer is the guy regardless.

I am glad we have a backup we can count on if Palmer goes down again. The concern I have is if Stanton goes down, we will have to rely on LT, and that's scary.

Stanton is a good backup, nothing more, nothing less. It's a valuable asset to have.

And Logan Thomas is garbage.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You're right for the most part, but most QBs don't force balls into triple coverage. The one throw that irritated me was on the first drive of the third quarter when Stanton took about 4 seconds to find an open receiver in the flat and threw a lazy pass to Fitz the length of the field that was nearly ripped away by the corner, which would've resulted in a pick 6. There were numerous throws that Brenneman deemed as "dangerous." It's not qualifying Stanton as a bad QB, but reminding people of the fact that he isn't ready to be the franchise guy, at the moment.

I dont like it because it's setting up a potential distraction. When Palmer comes back and has one bad game, or even a bad series, the boo birds and "we want Stanton" cheers are going to surface. As they say, the backup QB always the fan's most favorite player on the team. I'm just glad that Arians has the gall to remind everyone that Palmer is the guy regardless.

Stanton is a good backup, nothing more, nothing less. It's a valuable asset to have.

And Logan Thomas is garbage.

Palmer is just as bad at forcing the ball in to triple or even quadrupal coverage. Don't get me wrong, I like Palmer but if he isn't healthy, he shouldn't start.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of what Stanton's trade value is!?

No. It's a complete waste of time to think about NFL trades. 99.999% of the ones you read about on the internet never have a chance of happening. The draft is different, outside of the draft... complete bullcrap.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer is just as bad at forcing the ball in to triple or even quadrupal coverage. Don't get me wrong, I like Palmer but if he isn't healthy, he shouldn't start.

Has ANYONE, even Palmer, said he will start if he isn't healthy?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't see the team drafting a QB. I think they believe Thomas can be the guy in 2-3 years.

Why else draft him?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser