Stanton or Palmer

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's do the math here ; Palmers last 10 games = 8 and 2 .
Stanton's last 10 games = 2 and dnp - dnp - dnp - dnp - dnp - dnp - dnp - dnp .
OH YEAH !!! let's dump Palmer !!!

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just a tidbit on Stanton in the Giant's game , he threw 6 passes in the redzone , he completed 1 . thats what ? somewhere around 16 -- 17 % .

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its just like it should be. Quality starter, competent back up. Everyone knows their role and does it.

Have we been dysfunctional for so long that when we start to function normally, we feel the urge to fix it.

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, my next question is- Are you all high on Palmer because he is the best option for this team or because he is just that good of a QB?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So, my next question is- Are you all high on Palmer because he is the best option for this team or because he is just that good of a QB?

I think it's both. Since the last half of last season, Palmer has been playing at a very high level. No doubt due to more time under the BA system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Palmer. He's better than Stanton, period IMO.

Palmer is not elite, hasn't been for some time, but he is very, very good.

Stanton is a very good backup (so far).

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Just asking that question makes me think you're high ;)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Palmer. More talented, more experience, more in tune with everybody.

Stanton has had a couple of nice games for us, and this experience will help him grow as a QB. Hard to say that at his age, but not playing for 4 years in a meaningful game means imo that at his age, growth is still possible. He's still slow to pull the trigger sometimes, and his passes sometimes are late. Can this get better, perhaps. Hard to say if it's more of him trying to be careful, or he is just seeing it late.

I've thought since we got both that we had the two best QB's on the roster since Warner retired.

When Palmer comes back, if he dings his shoulder or something else happens, we have a guy who we know and the team has confidence can take over for a stretch.

Absolutely no controversy, this is just showcasing that we have two NFL quality QB's on the roster. One's a good, but not great starter, and the other is a good backup who can start a few games when needed. It's been a while since we could say the Cards had that. I'm glad we do.

Oh and this can only help in negotiations with Palmer if we decide to extend him. We're not in a complete bind without him. Though I have a feeling Palmer is more interested in winning then breaking the bank and will give us a hometown discount if we're interested in bringing him back.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Palmer. But I do love how Stanton protects the ball. That can't be stressed enough!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No where near time for questioning Palmer as the starter. This does not mean Stanton didn't do a great job filling in. Loved his game Sunday.

Will love Palmer getting back even more.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm all in on Stanton, but even for me as soon as Palmer is healthy I'm starting his ass.

Stanton has looked okay...but a lot of that is due to a massive upgrade on offense, including a shiny new left tackle, a badass rookie in Brown and acquisition of Ginn. Palmer has only got to play in this powerful offense 1 game, the first game of the year no less.

If these weapons can make a career backup look serviceable, imagine how Carson is going to look.

Carson Palmer in this offense is Kurt Warner version 2.0.

(Edit: posted this in another thread but it fits better here)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

seesred

Reaction score
I absolutely am happy that we have Carson on our team. But if we are to go to the playoffs I want Palmer behind center. If Palmer gets the same O line protection that Carson did against the nines, we just might play a home game for the super bowl!

GBR

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I absolutely am happy that we have Carson on our team. But if we are to go to the playoffs I want Palmer behind center. If Palmer gets the same O line protection that Carson did against the nines, we just might play a home game for the super bowl!

GBR

Wow, someone my age with more cobwebs than I have !!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thru 3 games, neither of our QB's has yet to toss an INT... I know, they'll throw 5 in Denver now... :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The notion that we should start Stanton over Palmer still cracks me up. Palmer throws a beautiful deep ball compared to Stanton.

Compare Palmer's deep ball to Floyd against SD inside our own 10 (complete for 50+) to that of Stanton's to Floyd, that Floyd had to readjust to and come back for. Stanton missed a wide open Brown (the other one) along the left sideline. Then misses Floyd deep along the right sideline (underthrown) after Floyd made a beautiful move inside so that he didn't get pinned to the sidelines (vet move).

There's no comparison. Stanton is good for 30, maybe 40, yards in but has no deep ball at all and doesn't drive the football like you need from a starting QB. Example: his pass to Fitz on the right sideline that almost got picked, believe it was a short curl. That's a good read but horrible throw. You have to drive that football on a rope for those passes. Same thing with out routes to the sidelines (which he rarely, if ever throws) and with square ins.

Stanton can't make any of those throws consistently. And I'm not down on the guy, he's tough both mentally and physically and can make some throws in this offense because we have weapons and because we have Tom Moore and BA who knows what he can do and create plays designed to get guys open with passes he can make.

Fact is Palmer is an NFL QB who can DRIVE the football on a rope to receivers on out routes, square ins, curls, and deep balls consistently.

He would look 10x better in this offense with this talent with this protection than Stanton. There's no question you start Palmer, it's a ridiculous argument.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
September 19th..posted here .... by the hippie :D

I am hoping for a QB controversy yall, where Stanton impresses but everybody talks about Palmer's going 8-2 (maybe 9-1 if Feely plays well against the whiners last year) in his last 10 games before the injury. I'm not saying either is Joe Montana, I'm saying I hope Stanton does well and Palmer comes back quickly, and I'd love to see how Arians would handle that.

Now I'm wondering why Arians is concerned about getting Logan reps, that scares me. But if he expected Palmer to be toast, wouldn't we be looking? My hope is still the same, I hope Stanton kicks ass and I hope Palmer comes back... and I want to see how Arians handles that because it's best for the club.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser