Stephen Drew Thread

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Drew has rejected the $7.5M offer. Will this be the last offer from the Dbacks? The deadline is what, a month away? Interestingly enough, Boras says there are several teams willing to but up the money they are demanding if Drew does reenter the draft. I find that extremely hard to believe, considering the fact that 14 teams passed on Drew in a very very weak draft because of his demands.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0428dbacksdrew0428.html

Last edited:

Kolo

Reaction score
IF Drew got a promise from the organization that it'd pay him $9.5 million and we reneged after the draft, I think Drew has a right to be ticked off. Paying big money for unproven prospects is unfortunate but it's currently reality, and if the Yankees (for example) would have drafted and paid Drew--and the Diamondbacks' drafted him and then pulled money off the table, costing him a few million bucks--I fault the organization.

That said, I hope we pony up--it isn't my money

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
That said, I hope we pony up--it isn't my money

Yeah it isn't your money until you find it costs $300.00 to take your family of four to the game.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Mid-market teams like the D-Backs simply cannot afford to throw that much cash around in consecutive drafts so it wouldn't surprise me if the D-Backs let Drew re-enter and spend the earmarked Drew money in the upcoming draft on a guy the new regime likes more. Not only that, but I think it should be mentioned that there's a possibility that signing Drew would mean the team can't add salary at the deadline.

Billexium

Reaction score
I don't see why Boras/Drew would make such a big deal about the organization promising a certain amount of money before the draft. It's not like Drew could decide where he went. This isn't like a verbal agreement between a free agent and team (i.e. Wells w/ the D'Backs). The organization spent their draft pick on him, and for that reason they have exclusive rights to him and can offer whatever the heck they want. If he doesn't like the offer fine, he'll get a reputation like his big brother and we'll see what sort of contract offers he gets after this year's draft.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Mid-market teams like the D-Backs simply cannot afford to throw that much cash around in consecutive drafts so it wouldn't surprise me if the D-Backs let Drew re-enter and spend the earmarked Drew money in the upcoming draft on a guy the new regime likes more. Not only that, but I think it should be mentioned that there's a possibility that signing Drew would mean the team can't add salary at the deadline.
I am not entirely sure that is accurate. The Brewers, for example, have given out big contracts to several draft picks in recent years.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I am not entirely sure that is accurate. The Brewers, for example, have given out big contracts to several draft picks in recent years.
But Milwaukee and other teams such as the D-Rays usually run out teams with $30-40 million payrolls. D-Backs this year have a $63 million payroll.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Melvin faces tough decision in clearing spot for Cruz Jr.

Nick Piecoro and David Vest
The Arizona Republic
May. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

With their bats going into a bit of a slumber, the Diamondbacks might get a lift with the return of center fielder Jose Cruz Jr., who could come off the disabled list today.

Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin said Cruz, out with a back injury, may be ready to rejoin the major league club after playing in a minor league game on Sunday.

Cruz played five innings and went 1 for 3 with a double for Triple-A Tucson on Sunday, one day after collecting three hits in an extended spring training game.
advertisement

The Diamondbacks haven't received much production from their center fielders since Cruz went down April 9. Take away Cruz's 5-for-17 (.294) start and Diamondbacks center fielders are batting .192 (20 for 104).

Whenever Cruz comes back, Melvin said he'll have a tough decision to make to clear a roster spot. He said a decision had not yet been reached on whether the team will continue to carry 12 pitchers.

"We feel like all the guys we have here we need," said Melvin, who expects it to be "our toughest decision of the year, by far."

Lucky long shot

Brandon Webb was born, raised and still lives in Kentucky, but the right-hander has yet to go to the Kentucky Derby.

"It gets a little crazy out there because there's so many people there," Webb said Sunday, one day after the 131st running of the Derby. "There are a lot of drunk drivers and accidents and crime. It's pretty bad."

Webb, however, watched the Derby on TV and was smiling when it ended. That's because he drew Giacomo in the clubhouse pool, and the 50-1 long shot won the race.

"I didn't even care about it before it started," Webb said. "I was like 'I'm losing this. Take my token money.' But then I was watching it and watching him come up on the outside and I said 'He's going to win this thing.' It was ridiculous."

Sooner shocker

Starter Russ Ortiz said he was as surprised as anyone at what happened with Larry Cochell, his former coach at Oklahoma who resigned last week after using a racial slur.

"I really believe he wasn't trying to offend anybody because the man that I know never showed any signs that he was ever trying to offend anybody or hurt anybody," said Ortiz, who helped Oklahoma win the national title in 1994.

At least Cochell owned up to making the remark, Ortiz said.

"He took responsibility for that," Ortiz said. "I think that's important."

Short hops

Ortiz said he had a bruise just below his shoulder thanks to a comebacker off the bat of Jose Castillo on Saturday night, but he doesn't expect to miss his scheduled start Thursday.

• Unsigned draft pick Stephen Drew seems unfazed by his year off. Drew, playing for the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League, is 8 for 18 (.444) with two doubles and two triples.

• Both teams and the umpires wore pink armbands and ribbons to promote breast cancer awareness.

I'm definitely not one to let a player hold an organization hostage but if he's as good as everyone says he is, and if he's putting up these kinds of numbers I'm sure going to hate losing a player of this caliber (along with dropping down to the end of the 1st round instead of the position where we drafted him).

Hope we can get him in!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Although I'd like to see Stephen Drew get signed, the sooner the better, it isn't as though Arizona has other options, especially when you consider Justin Upton will be there for the taking when Arizona kicks off this year's draft.

When you factor in that many scouts are calling Justin "5-tool" and "better than his brother" in terms of long term potential, I don't think the Diamondback organization needs to lose too much sleep if Drew doesn't sign. Truthfully, in the end, he's hurting himself. He slipped all the way down to where he did last year because most teams didn't want to deal with the headaches of a Scott Boras client, and after sitting out a year and hardballing the Diamondback front office, his stock will continue to fall should he wind up back in this year's draft.

Continue to screw yourself Steve.. I can venture that you're not going to get anywhere near the 9 million your asking for..

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I really doubt anyone will anti up the money that Drew wants. This whole thing reminds me of that one player the Rockies drafted a few years back (just found his name, Matt Harrington) and didn't sign (Borus was the agent) and the next year he was taken in the 3rd or 4th round, again he didn't sign. Then he went in the upper 30's... hopefully that will happen with Drew.

Players who demand high a bonus rarely pay off (i.e. Bouchard, Travis Lee, Patterson).

Who even determined that Stephen's brother was worth his own bonus? I mean he is a good player, but he surely isn't great and he has even faked injuries in the past. I say we are better off without this guy. He is just a headache waiting to happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Looks like Drew has rejected the $7.5M offer. Will this be the last offer from the Dbacks? The deadline is what, a month away? Interestingly enough, Boras says there are several teams willing to but up the money they are demanding if Drew does reenter the draft. I find that extremely hard to believe, considering the fact that 14 teams passed on Drew in a very very weak draft because of his demands.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0428dbacksdrew0428.html

well, in all fairness, from boras' quote it sounds like the $7.5M offer is some fancy math. boras says the deal is only worth half that. that leads me to beleive that the dbacks leaked the value of the contract, but not how it's structured which could mean that that it is truly valued well below the $7.5M mark. if the dbacks are playing funny math for public sentiment that's poor. they knew what they were getting into when they drafted this kid. to let him reenter the draft is piss poor on the dbacks part.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Billexium said:
I don't see why Boras/Drew would make such a big deal about the organization promising a certain amount of money before the draft. It's not like Drew could decide where he went. This isn't like a verbal agreement between a free agent and team (i.e. Wells w/ the D'Backs). The organization spent their draft pick on him, and for that reason they have exclusive rights to him and can offer whatever the heck they want. If he doesn't like the offer fine, he'll get a reputation like his big brother and we'll see what sort of contract offers he gets after this year's draft.

still, if the club asked what it would take to sign him and drew and boras told them in good faith and the team drafted him, you'd think that the number would be easy to arrive upon and this would be done. if this is true it's all on the dbacks for screwing this up.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I say we are better off without this guy. He is just a headache waiting to happen.
I don't know if he is or isn't a headache waiting to happen.

But I do feel that this whole episode would lay a weak foundation for a long-term D'backs relationship.

I agree that we are better off if he signs elsewhere.

AZZenny

Reaction score
According to today's BA, Mike Rizzo has said he has narrowed to 4 likely top picks - Upton, and pitchers Luke Hochevar (my personal preference) Mike Pelfrey, and Craig Hansen:

If the Diamondbacks get their way, they’ll land the top player on their draft boards in both 2004 and 2005. Arizona owns the No. 1 overall selection this year, so scouting director Mike Rizzo knows he can get the player he wants when the draft begins June 7. At the same time, he’s still trying to sign his 2004 first-rounder, former Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew. The Diamondbacks, who rated Drew as the best player in last year’s draft, had until the end of May to make that deal happen.

Arizona had narrowed its focus to four players three weeks before the draft: Virginia high school shortstop Justin Upton and three college righthanders: St. John’s Craig Hansen, Tennessee’s Luke Hochevar and Wichita State’s Mike Pelfrey. Baseball America rates Upton as the best prospect in the draft, while Pelfrey and Hochevar are the top college pitchers, and Hansen figures to reach the majors faster than anyone in the 2005 crop.

All four players have ties to Drew. Upton plays the same position, though several scouts say he and Drew both may have to move off shortstop. Drew’s agent is Scott Boras, who’s also advising the three pitchers Arizona has targeted.

Rizzo says that the No. 1 choice won’t be connected to what happens with Drew, who was playing in the independent Atlantic League. “I’ve always taken the best player available, and we’re still going to do that,” says Rizzo, who’s running his sixth draft for Arizona and never has picked higher than 15th. “If we sign Drew and we think Upton is the best guy on our list, we’ll still take him. The number one pick will be independent of Stephen Drew.”

The consensus is that the Diamondbacks will settle on Upton, making him and his brother B.J. (No. 2 overall to the Devil Rays in 2002) the highest-drafted siblings in draft history. The main question with Justin, as with B.J., is whether he can throw accurately enough to remain a shortstop. Several scouts say Upton could reach the majors quickly as a center fielder, projecting him as a righthanded power hitter with top-of-the-line speed and Andruw Jones-caliber defense.

Hansen generally isn’t rated as high as the other candidates, but he could be attractive for a couple of reasons. If the Diamondbacks sign Drew to a major league contract, they could save money because Hansen would command less than Upton, Pelfrey and Hochevar. Arizona had the National League’s third-best record six weeks into the season, and Hansen might plug a hole in a leaky bullpen. Rizzo, however, says if the Diamondbacks do take Hansen, it will be because they think he’s the best long-term fit.

“We’re not just going to take Hansen because he’s quick to the big leagues and we’re in the race,” he says. “How we’re playing now won’t affect who we pick. That may add to his allure, but that won’t be the reason.”

AZZenny

Reaction score
and this...

Boras maintains his stable of 2005 draft prospects is more signable than teams suspect. He e-mailed scouting directors to that effect, and says this year’s group isn’t looking to exceed what he calls “industry norms.” But clubs are skeptical of how he defines that term. Weaver and Drew have yet to accept financial packages that are bigger than any given to other players in the 2004 draft.

Weaver was BA’s top-rated prospect and Drew the top-rated position player last year, but concerns over their bonus demands caused them to slide to the 12th and 15th picks. The Angels and Diamondbacks won’t discuss the specifics of their offers, but industry sources say Weaver has turned down both a $5.25 million major league contract and a straight $4 million bonus. Drew has declined a big league deal that includes a $5.5 million guarantee and could total $7.5 million with easily attainable incentives.

Though Boras says, “Never say never,” he has indicated that he believes Weaver and Drew will re-enter the 2005 draft. If that happens, there’s no telling where they would be picked and no indication that a club will match the deals they turned down. It also could cause his other clients to slide.

“He needs to get Weaver and Drew signed, or it kills his guys for this year,” the NL scouting director says. “What’s he going to do, stockpile them like cordwood? If Weaver and Drew don’t get done, you’re going to feel good about taking Pelfrey and Hochevar?”

Says an American League counterpart: “They’re going to sign. Scott’s not dumb. He may say he thinks they’re going to re-enter the draft, but I can almost guarantee they’re going to sign. They have to. He’s going to go to the last minute to get the last penny. That’s just Negotiating 101 with Scott Boras.”

Rizzo says he remains optimistic Drew will sign with the Diamondbacks, who thought he was the best prospect in the 2004 draft.

“I felt like I could sign the guy,” says Rizzo, who worked out seven-figure bonuses for Boras clients Casey Daigle and Mike Gosling when Arizona drafted them. “We’ve put our best foot forward. I like having the opportunity to take the best player in the 2004 draft, even if we don’t sign him, rather than just taking the 15th-best player at No. 15.”

Even if Weaver and Drew come to terms before the 2005 draft, most of Boras’ players are expected to drop further than their ability would dictate.

“Pelfrey and Hochevar are still going to go close to where they should because they’re top guys,” the AL scouting director says. “With the rest of his crew, Scott will impact where they go.”

- - - - - -
The commissioner’s office has accomplished its goal of holding bonuses in check, as last year’s first-round average ($1,807,000) was less than 1999’s ($1,810,000). Even if Weaver and Drew drive that number closer to $2 million, that still will be less than 2001 (a record $2,154,000) and 2002 ($2,107,000).

MLB’s next goal is to cut down on the number of major league contracts given to draftees. Since the commissioner’s office started recommending bonuses for picks in the first 10 rounds in 2000, 15 players have gotten big league deals—four more than the total for the previous 35 drafts. MLB may not be as successful on this front, as the top picks have come to expect major league contracts, and Upton, Gordon, Pelfrey and Hochevar—not to mention Weaver and Drew—figure to command them this year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know Boras is a smart guy but he's gotta start losing clients if Drew re-enters and gets less than the Dbacks are offering.

Teams are already avoiding his clients, playing hardball is fine but you can take it too far.

If I was a young prospect I'd want a tuff agent but I'd also want to play baseball. I think its possible that sitting and doing nothing for over a year could really hurt a players development.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I think it sets a bad dynamic - many fans will be a bit disgruntled and resentful from the start, and may wait for a chance to let him know it. I mean, to me, Drew is now a probably overhyped but talented kid who is clearly more interested in money than playing baseball. And since a pretty small percentage of mega-bonus babies ever really pay off big, he'll have to be stellar - and quickly - to overcome that first impression.

Heck - Even if he's great, it will take a long time for me to embrace him as one of 'my' Diamondbacks. I recall that when Conor was drafted, he and his parents came to a game at BOB and he was just awestruck and thrilled to be a Diamondback. Carlos Quentin was drafted, signed, we got him his surgery and rehab while he finished school, and he has said he's extremely grateful and is really pleased to be part of a classy organization. Drew can't help but always feel the organization shafted him financially - heck, he's the reason Colangelo was fired, but what does he know or care?

("There is no I in TEAM, but there's a ME if you scramble the letters a little.")

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I think it sets a bad dynamic - many fans will be a bit disgruntled and resentful from the start, and may wait for a chance to let him know it. I mean, to me, Drew is now a probably overhyped but talented kid who is clearly more interested in money than playing baseball. And since a pretty small percentage of mega-bonus babies ever really pay off big, he'll have to be stellar - and quickly - to overcome that first impression.

Heck - Even if he's great, it will take a long time for me to embrace him as one of 'my' Diamondbacks. I recall that when Conor was drafted, he and his parents came to a game at BOB and he was just awestruck and thrilled to be a Diamondback. Carlos Quentin was drafted, signed, we got him his surgery and rehab while he finished school, and he has said he's extremely grateful and is really pleased to be part of a classy organization. Drew can't help but always feel the organization shafted him financially - heck, he's the reason Colangelo was fired, but what does he know or care?

("There is no I in TEAM, but there's a ME if you scramble the letters a little.")

How about, "There's no I in team but there's a big I in IDIOT"

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Baseball America seems to think it's likely we sign drew. I can't even imagine our top 5 in a month or two.

Drew
Q
Jackson
Upton
Santos

:eek:

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
May 19: Scouting Directors Expect Weaver, Drew To Sign
by Jim Callis

Though agent Scott Boras indicated three days ago (see below) that 2004 first-round picks Jered Weaver and Stephen Drew likely will re-enter the draft, multiple scouting directors contacted by Baseball America think that's just a negotiating ploy. Weaver, taken 12th by the Angels, has been offered either a $5.25 million big league contract or a $4 million bonus. Drew, who went 15th to the Diamondbacks, has yet to accept a major league package that would guarantee him $5.5 million and would swell to as much as $7.5 million with easily attainable incentives. There's been no indication that other teams are willing to approach those deals, and if Drew and Weaver don't come to terms it would hurt the signability of Boras' other seven clients with legitimate first-round aspirations in this year's draft. "They're going to sign," an American League scouting director said. "Scott's not dumb. He may say he thinks they're going to re-enter the draft, but I can almost guarantee they're going to sign. They have to. He's going to go to the last minute to get the last penny. That's just Negotiating 101 with Scott Boras."

AZZenny

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem to send the wrong message by signing Drew at the last minute? It makes the team look like they've given in, thus reinforcing Boras for the next time; it makes Boras look like he was bluffing which reinforces teams to keep dealing with him - it's like feeding the cat that keeps pestering you annoyingly - when you do feed it you're both reinforced to continue the same obnoxious cycle of pester/irritable giving in. Ultimately, the cat/Boras wins.

I hope the DBacks just say, "Nope. (The neighbor can feed you.)" Then they can start from scratch if Boras has a kid they really want this year - with some rules - a plump bonus and some legit incentives over the first year or two, BUT if he doesn't sign in time to make it to rookie ball, the bonus starts to tick away for every missed game.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Doesn't it seem to send the wrong message by signing Drew at the last minute? It makes the team look like they've given in, thus reinforcing Boras for the next time; it makes Boras look like he was bluffing which reinforces teams to keep dealing with him - it's like feeding the cat that keeps pestering you annoyingly - when you do feed it you're both reinforced to continue the same obnoxious cycle of pester/irritable giving in. Ultimately, the cat/Boras wins.

I hope the DBacks just say, "Nope. (The neighbor can feed you.)" Then they can start from scratch if Boras has a kid they really want this year - with some rules - a plump bonus and some legit incentives over the first year or two, BUT if he doesn't sign in time to make it to rookie ball, the bonus starts to tick away for every missed game.

I think I'd look at it more along the lines that he came to his senses and signed the contract we offered a long time ago. Nothing negative for the D'Backs here if he signs. Now, Drew and others would be wise to realize that their agents strong arm tactics cost them a years worth of pay and play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan