Stephen Drew Thread

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbackmomma said:
And being out here on the Left Coast, I wasn't aware that the inlanders
This is an interesting statement that I will refuse to comment on.

:confused:

Dbackmomma

Reaction score
Sorry Gee ... didn't mean anything offensive. It's just that some of us in So Cal weren't aware that mis-reporting information in a news story happened farther in-land ... we thought it was unique to the coastal rags.:bigyawn:

AZZenny

Reaction score
This is from the tag end of an article on the pressure and perils of having the #1 pick - not much on Rizzo except he's saying he's totally charged up, but interviews with past guys who picked #1 makes it sound like there's a lot of bullwash and hype to wade through at the top few slots, and enormous public second-guessing. Well, knowing how they all love the DBacks anyhow, guess we may want to put in a special order of purple flak jackets before June.

• Rizzo said the Diamondbacks were hopeful they would get Drew under contract by spring training. Rizzo declined to set a deadline for when Arizona and the former Florida State shortstop needed to agree to terms, but instead used the phrase “common sense timetable.”

“There are two players still unsigned,” Rizzo said. “If you want to call that the market being set, you could say that. If there’s a deal to be made, it fits for both sides to have it done in time so Stephen can begin spring training with us.”

• The Diamondbacks ended two holdouts in January, agreeing to contracts with fifth-round pick Cesar Nicholas and 11th-rounder Darryl Lawhorn. Nicholas, a 6-foot-4, 233-pound first baseman out of Vanderbilt, hit .336-15-70 as a senior, after having won the Cape Cod League’s home run derby during its all-star festivities in 2003. Lawhorn, whose twin brother Trevor signed with the Reds as a ninth-round pick, was an All-Freshman choice in 2002, but his production slipped in each of his last two seasons at East Carolina. An elbow injury that required postseason surgery hampered him during a .298-10-45 campaign. Then he injured his foot in the first game of regional play in the spring, and the Diamondbacks waited until he was healthy to sign him. Lawhorn also has bounced around defensively, but Arizona will try him at second base.

I'm glad they got Nicholas - he looked pretty interesting when we drafted him.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
D-Backs notebook: Top priority is signing Drew

By Jack Magruder, Tribune

TUCSON — Cleared to work, Jeff Moorad plans to get right at it, saying a top priority is to reopen negotiations with 2004 No. 1 draft choice Stephen Drew.

The sides have not spoken since late last season, when Drew turned down a bonus in excess of $3 million and a contract that could have paid him more than $7 million over four years.

Drew, a shortstop who was the 15th player selected in the 2004 draft, was believed to be seeking a deal in the $8 million to $10 million range.

He was considered one of the top two or three players in the draft but dropped to the Diamondbacks because of signability issues. His agent is Scott Boras.

"It's a project that we are very focused on and interested in concluding successfully if we can,'' Moorad said.

"I certainly can't predict the future, but I know the intent of the organization is to have Stephen Drew a part of the D-Backs going forward. We recognize that our window is limited, but we intend to address it in the very near future.''

Drew was drafted after completing his junior year at Florida State, and since Drew has not returned to college, the D-Backs have until May 31 to sign him.
If he does not sign by then, he is eligible to re-enter the draft, to be held June 7.

Boras also represents J.D. Drew, Stephen's older brother, who did not sign with Philadelphia after being the second overall pick in 1997 and re-entered the draft in 1998, when he was picked by St. Louis.

SPEAKING OF MONEY

The D-Backs made midseason moves to acquire Matt Mantei in 1999, Curt Schilling in 2000 and Albie Lopez in 2001 and are enough under budget to consider such upgrades again this season, managing partner Ken Kendrick said.

The D-Backs' projected payroll this season is just under $60 million, about $3 million below the budget.

"We have an opportunity, if the circumstances would present themselves, that we could spend some more money at the midseason mark if that made sense,'' Kendrick said.

"I hope we have that problem."

Closer Mantei played a critical role in helping the D-Backs to the 1999 NL West title, and Schilling was instrumental in the 2001 World Series victory.

SHORT HOPS

Team president Rich Dozer said the D-Backs have sold between 16,000 and 17,000 season tickets this season, about a 75-percent renewal rate. It would be the lowest starting point in franchise history, although it would still rank among the top 10 in the major leagues. The D-Backs sold a little more than 21,000 season tickets last season.. . .

The D-Backs will continue their pregame autograph sessions, Dozer said, but may make some adjustments in consultation with the players.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=36860

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Status on Drew remains uncertain

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 5, 2005 12:00 AM

TUCSON - With negotiations having collapsed this week between the Angels and first-round pick Jered Weaver, where does that leave the Diamondbacks with shortstop Stephen Drew, the only other remaining unsigned first-rounder from the 2004 draft?

Both players are represented by Scott Boras, who rejected the Angels' take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum of a $4 million offer for the former Long Beach State pitcher by midnight Wednesday.

Team officials were non-committal on all fronts Friday.

"I have nothing on Drew today," General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. said.

Boras could not be reached for comment.

Upon becoming the Diamondbacks' fifth general partner last month, Jeff Moorad said trying to sign Drew had become the club's top priority and he expressed cautious optimism.

"I've said before that the organization has a very serious interest in trying to get Stephen Drew signed, and we will once again reach out to him and his agents and see where things go," Moorad said Friday.

If Weaver and Drew don't sign, they can re-enter the June 7 draft. Both teams would then receive a sandwich pick between the first and second round as compensation for losing the player.

Webb 'jittery'

Brandon Webb got into a jam in his first start of spring training, attributing part of his shaky outing to nerves and an unreliable fastball.

"In my pregame, the fastball was good and my curveball was terrible in the pen. Then it seemed like it went the other way around once I got out there," Webb said.

Glaus readjusting

Troy Glaus misplayed one ball in his first game back at third base since injuring his right shoulder last May , but he said he felt fine overall and reported no problems in his two innings in the field.

"This is not like riding a bike, though. The game is not slow," said Glaus, who underwent surgery May 21 to repair fraying of the labrum and rotator cuff. "But it's going to get better."

Manager Bob Melvin said he just wants Glaus to get acclimated at the position, and will keep him in games a little bit longer as spring training progresses. Glaus did go 2 for 2, including a double high off the batter's eye in center field.

'Thrill' signs on

Former major league first baseman Will Clark, in camp as a spring adviser to Melvin, joined Matt Williams as a special assistant to the club's general partnership. The two will work in several capacities, including making occasional visits to Arizona's minor league affiliates.

"You can't have too many guys like that," Melvin said.

Short hops

Infielders Alex Cintron and Chad Tracy agreed to terms.

• Melvin will accompany a split-squad team made up mostly of veterans to Phoenix on Monday for an afternoon game against Oakland. Bench coach Jay Bell will manage the Diamondbacks' other squad that night against Colorado at Tucson Electric Park.

• The Diamondbacks will oblige a request from the White Sox to play a "B" game against a squad from Chicago on Wednesday. The five-inning game begins at 9:15 a.m. on Field No. 4 at the Kino Sports Complex.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special3/articles/0305dbnb0305.html

Reaction score
Any news on Drew?

I have been searching for the latest news on Stephen Drew. Does anybody have anything recent on his status. I feel if we sign Drew we won't need Upton and can get a pitcher with the top pick, I know nobody wants to hear this but maybe Jeff Weaver.

AZZenny

Reaction score
• Now that his negotiations with Arizona are dead in the water, it looks as if Stephen Drew is going to play for Camden of the Atlantic League while he waits around for his second shot at the June draft. Might not be the best idea we've heard.

Camden, of course, is right across the river from Philadelphia – where Drew's big brother J.D. is such a local favorite.

- Jayson Stark, ESPN. Schillingfan, a PA resident, went into hysterics when she saw this and immediately planned to buy seats at a game to heckle him, wearing DBack and Phillies gear.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
• Now that his negotiations with Arizona are dead in the water, it looks as if Stephen Drew is going to play for Camden of the Atlantic League while he waits around for his second shot at the June draft. Might not be the best idea we've heard.

Camden, of course, is right across the river from Philadelphia – where Drew's big brother J.D. is such a local favorite.

- Jayson Stark, ESPN. Schillingfan, a PA resident, went into hysterics when she saw this and immediately planned to buy seats at a game to heckle him, wearing DBack and Phillies gear.
I did laugh. It seems like such poetic justice to have Drew's younger brother playing at such close proximity to Stephen Drew.

I'm sure that some will bring batteries. Not moi of course.

tarner1

Reaction score
Stephen Drew

Any word on the progress of signing Stephen Drew. As the deadline of May 1 (i think that is the date) is approaching, the fact that there is little news on this is not comforting...

THanks

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Last public blurb posted at Az Central was April 9:

Diamondbacks officials have been trading calls with agent Scott Boras in an effort to continue negotiations with unsigned first-round draft pick Stephen Drew and the sides could meet face to face next week in Los Angeles to speed up a resolution.

tarner1

Reaction score
Stephen Drew Signs Indy League Contract

From Baseball America...

Stephen Drew Signs Indy League Contract
By Allan Simpson
April 20, 2005

Shortstop Stephen Drew, the unsigned first-round draft pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks, signed a contract today to play with the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League. His signing will be announced at a 3 p.m. press conference in Camden, N.J.

Drew will begin scrimmaging with the Riversharks on Friday and will be in the lineup at shortstop when Camden opens its 2005 season at home against Nashua on April 28.

“It’s an opportunity for him to get a uniform on and play some baseball,” said Bob Brower, a representative for the Scott Boras Corporation, Drew’s agent.

Drew hasn’t played organized baseball of any kind since Florida State, where he starred for three years, was eliminated from NCAA tournament play last June. He was projected to be one of the top selections in the 2004 draft but slid to the Diamondbacks with the 15th pick overall when teams became concerned about his bonus demands.

According to the Boras camp, former Diamondbacks managing general partner Jerry Colangelo agreed to a contract prior to the draft that was similar to the one Mark Teixeira signed with the Rangers in 2001. Teixeira’s contract was for a guaranteed $9.5 million, with a $4.5 million signing bonus. Diamondbacks officials have disputed this assertion, however.

Shortly after the draft, Colangelo was later relieved of his duties--in part because of his willingness to pay Drew a bonus that was substantially above the parameters for first-round picks established by Major League Baseball, and the amount other owners in the D-backs hierarchy had expected to pay.

Negotiations stalled as representatives for the Diamondbacks countered with offers more in line with the contract Rickie Weeks signed as the No. 2 overall pick in 2003. Weeks was given a major league contract by the Brewers that guaranteed him $4.79 million, including a signing bonus of $3.6 million. However, one industry source said Arizona’s offer would make Drew’s deal the richest in the ’04 draft class, surpassing “by a significant margin” the $5.2 million guarantee and $3.2 million bonus the Devil Rays gave Rice righthander Jeff Niemann.

The Diamondbacks met with Drew and his representatives as recently as April 13 and made headway on a deal but still could not reach an agreement.

“We’re still not on the same page,” Brower said. “We came off the Teixeira number and worked towards finding a middle ground. We couldn’t, but we’ve left the door open. No bridges were burned.

“In the meantime, Stephen has a forum to keep playing.”

The Diamondbacks have until June 1, the beginning of the closed period, to sign Drew or he would go back into this year’s draft. Scouting director Mike Rizzo said Brower’s characterization of negotiations was fair in terms of the amicable nature of talks, and said the news shouldn’t affect his organization’s chances of signing Drew.

“We’re still trying to find a vehicle to get the deal done,” he said. “Stephen hasn’t played since last May, so it’s probably a good idea for him to get out and play. It’s important for him to get out and compete and face live pitching, just to knock off some of the rust. But the tools and the ability is still going to be there.”

Drew is following a similar career path as his older brother J.D., now an outfielder with the Dodgers. The elder Drew also played three years at Florida State before being selected by the Phillies with the second overall pick in the 1997 draft. When negotiations bogged down, Drew elected to play in the independent Northern League and went back into the 1998 draft. He was redrafted by the Cardinals with the fifth overall pick that year and given a bonus substantially larger than the best offer the Phillies made.

That’s the biggest difference in the two Drew holdouts. Negotiations with Stephen Drew and the Diamondbacks have remained amicable, Rizzo said. “And the dollars are a lot different,” he added.

Contributing: John Manuel.

Dbackmomma

Reaction score
Boras' ability to communicate

According to the Boras camp, former Diamondbacks managing general partner Jerry Colangelo agreed to a contract prior to the draft

If you took out the part that specifies the team name and the general partner's name, changed it around to reflect the Angels and Weaver, you would have a similar quote. Boras has been repeatedly quoted in our local paper as saying that the Angels' general manager knew what it would take to sign Weaver yada yada yada.

Is it just me or does he need to get some lessons in communication techniques?
:shrug:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Drew ponders $7.5 mil offer

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

SAN FRANCISCO - The Diamondbacks are awaiting word from first-round draft pick Stephen Drew and his agent, Scott Boras, after offering the shortstop a five-year, $7.5 million contract last week.

One of only two first-round picks from the 2004 yet to come to terms, Drew, the 15th overall selection, will re-enter the draft in June if he doesn't sign with Arizona. After skipping his junior season at Florida State, Drew on Wednesday signed with the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League to get back into day-to-day baseball shape.

The Diamondbacks still control his rights, at least until May 31. If he hasn't signed with Arizona by then, he will be eligible to re-enter the draft and can file paperwork preventing Arizona from drafting him again. The Diamondbacks have the No.1 pick this year and are considering eight to 10 prospects.

As for Drew's chances of accepting Arizona's latest and likely final offer, Diamondbacks General Partner Jeff Moorad said he won't rule out anything.

"I wouldn't say we're optimistic, but we're hopeful that upon reflection, Stephen and Scott will see the advantage of being part of the Diamondbacks," said Moorad, who was joined at last week's meeting by Managing General Partner Ken Kendrick, General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr., scouting director Mike Rizzo and former player Matt Williams, now a Diamondbacks investor and special assistant to the general partnership.

"We haven't had any indication at this point that our offer is acceptable, but we made a significant improvement," Moorad said. "But in all fairness, the player and his representatives deserve a chance to evaluate and reflect."

Boras did not return phone calls the past two days.

Catcher carpe diem

Chris Snyder made his 11th start behind the plate on Thursday and Koyie Hill is scheduled to make his sixth start tonight, but just because Snyder has seen more action, that doesn't make him the declared No.1 starter.

"I'm not saying he's the everyday guy, but what he's done here of late has warranted more playing time," manager Bob Melvin said, adding: "I'd like one of them to go ahead and grab it, take hold of it and run with it."

Kudos to Gonzo

He's just three weeks into the season, but left fielder Luis Gonzalez appears to be throwing the ball better than ever after undergoing major surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow.

"He's back to his old throwing style and teams aren't running in his face or sending guys a lot of times on shallow fly balls," Melvin said.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0422dbacknb0422.html

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gammons on Drew, Upton

Peter Gammons in his newest column said that the general feeling is that Drew will sign the contract offer, and that the Diamondbacks are almost a lock to draft Upton. Consider the source, and take it for what its worth. IMO, if we sign Drew and draft/sign Upton, our stock of position player prospects would come close to rivaling that of any body else's in all of baseball.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Anymore than that and I'll gouge out my eyes. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Drew here. But $35+ Million for the guy! He'll be in the minors for two years, then will take 1 year to get comfortable. So $35 million for two years, then he'll demand a ton of money and leave. :shrug:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Anymore than that and I'll gouge out my eyes. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Drew here. But $35+ Million for the guy! He'll be in the minors for two years, then will take 1 year to get comfortable. So $35 million for two years, then he'll demand a ton of money and leave. :shrug:
$35 Million? What are you talking about?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
I totally agree. Ortiz might be the next Dessens..

The next Dessens? :trout:

The Dbacks signed Dessens after 1 career year. Ortiz has won an average of 16 games each of the last 6 years. Dessens on the other hand only won 6 games in the "career year" that preceded his coming to the Dbacks.

Ortiz's fantasy ranking may only be 63 but Dessens' rank is 3.

asudevil83

Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

SAN FRANCISCO - The Diamondbacks are awaiting word from first-round draft pick Stephen Drew and his agent, Scott Boras, after offering the shortstop a five-year, $7.5 million contract last week.

that sounds to me like $7.5mil over the course of 5 years, rather than $7.5mil per yeawr for 5 years. i dont know where some of you are getting that $35+mil deal.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
that sounds to me like $7.5mil over the course of 5 years, rather than $7.5mil per yeawr for 5 years. i dont know where some of you are getting that $35+mil deal.
That is correct.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Stephen Drew debuted yesterday for the Camden Riversharks. Here is an article on it. He says the D-Backs guaranteed a $9.5 mil.

Brother of J.D. Drew gets Philly-style hello

By Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

Poor Stephen Drew.

Drew made his professional debut playing shortstop for the Camden Riversharks in their season opener last night and received a smattering of boos in the pregame introductions - and louder boos before his first at-bat in the first inning.

All because he's J.D. Drew's little brother.

J.D. Drew, of course, was scorned by Phillies fans because he turned down the Phils' offer after they made the outfielder their No. 1 draft pick in 1997.

Stephen Drew is in a similar contract tussle with the Arizona Diamondbacks, who selected the former Florida State star in the first round as the 15th overall choice last June.

And so Drew was guilty by association, at least in the minds of some in the crowd of 3,184 that braved the cold to attend the Atlantic League game at Campbell's Field. Stephen, like J.D., is represented by agent Scott Boras.

"He's doing the same crap his brother did," said Dale Butterworth, a 49-year-old automotive-repair teacher from Marlton who watched the game with his son. "I don't like guys who demand big money when they've never proven themselves at the major-league level."

By Drew's second at-bat, there were no more boos. Most of the earlier boos, apparently, were good-natured.

"J.D. has nothing against the Phillies," Stephen Drew said. "Nor does any of my family."

Stephen Drew "has nothing to do with the J.D. Drew situation," Camden general manager John Brandt said before the game.

"He fills a need we have, and we're very happy to have him," Brandt said.

Brandt called Drew the Riversharks' "first true prospect, from the sense that he's a 22-year-old who is going to be the Diamondbacks' top prospect - or someone else's top prospect."

Drew, who worked out with the Cardinals when his brother played in St. Louis - J.D. is now with the Los Angeles Dodgers - is in the middle of contract negotiations with Arizona.

Before last year's draft, Drew said last night, he and the Diamondbacks had an "understanding" as to what it would take to sign him. Published reports said the amount was believed to be guaranteed at $9.5 million, including a $4.5 million signing bonus.

But shortly after the draft, the Diamondbacks changed management - and changed their thinking. Two weeks ago, according to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks offered a five-year deal worth potentially $7.5 million.

Boras said the offer was worth only half that.

"Hopefully, we'll work it out; if not, I'll just go back in the draft," Drew said.

If Arizona doesn't sign Drew by June 1, he will enter this year's draft, which starts on June 7.

"He saw good pitching at Florida State, but he'll see guys here who throw more than two pitches and have better overall command," Brandt said, mindful that Drew's presence should aid the Riversharks' attendance.

In the independent Atlantic League, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Drew may not face as many hard throwers as he did in Division I, Camden manager Wayne Krenchicki said, "but he'll see guys who are more polished. It's like a double-A level here, and some nights it's like triple A."

At the plate, the lefthanded-hitting Drew looked comfortable, ripping a single to right field and scoring in the first inning of the 5-3 loss to Nashua. Drew lined out to right in his second at-bat, and tripled to right and scored in the fifth. He finished 2 for 4.

"I'm just trying to get better each day and stay in baseball shape," said Drew, whose error contributed to Nashua's five-run seventh. "It's going to be fun here, and hopefully I'll help us win some games."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan