Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good that Oso Ighodaro is getting recognition. Ryan Dunn shouldn't be far behind.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not hard to play a rookie who makes smart plays and few mistakes. If If I was coaching I would be thinking hard about making him the #2 center. However, he needs to grab more boards.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dunns defense is a joy to watch. It’s that smooth type of D like Mikal rather than that crazy D that Okogie plays. If he new three point shooting is legit, he could be one of the best players of the 24 draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not hard to play a rookie who makes smart plays and few mistakes. If If I was coaching I would be thinking hard about making him the #2 center. However, he needs to grab more boards.
I want Oso to play as much as possible too but the real tests won't come until he starts showing up in opponent scouting reports. Same with Dunn.

Pda4976

Reaction score
Dunns defense is a joy to watch. It’s that smooth type of D like Mikal rather than that crazy D that Okogie plays. If he new three point shooting is legit, he could be one of the best players of the 24 draft.
If he was an average 3 point shooter in college he would have been a top 5 pick. His defensive instincts are off the charts. Mikal is a great team defender, Ryan seems to also be a great 1 on 1 defender.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
He's making mistakes, he's led the team in TOs in both games (well, tied with Grayson vs the Lakers with 3), but he plays hard and does try to atone for them.

The transition block vs LA was from a miscue between him and Grayson and Oso, and Okogie, hustled back to prevent the fast break layup.

His defense has been slightly better than I anticipated, he's got good help instincts and active hands, but size wise he will struggle with the bigger Cs. There's not too many of them left, but the ones that are around are going to be a load (Embiid, Jokic)

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's making mistakes, he's led the team in TOs in both games (well, tied with Grayson vs the Lakers with 3), but he plays hard and does try to atone for them.

The transition block vs LA was from a miscue between him and Grayson and Oso, and Okogie, hustled back to prevent the fast break layup.

His defense has been slightly better than I anticipated, he's got good help instincts and active hands, but size wise he will struggle with the bigger Cs. There's not too many of them left, but the ones that are around are going to be a load (Embiid, Jokic)
Do not forget Davis:)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't quite get why Oso is getting such praise. He has been ok, but to me Dunn has been far more impressive. Dunn can get real minutes as our defensive stopper.

Sure Oso can make a few decent passes, but so can Kaminsky. Really I think Frank can do everything Oso does with the exception of catching lobs, and he can sort of space the floor which Oso can't do.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, he is really kind of a tweener between power forward and center. He can't play power forward well because he has no outside shot, and he can't guard a lot of centers. However based on what I have seen from Plumlee he can't really guard bigger centers very well either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he has Diaw's projected ceiling, that would be great for us. If his ceiling is the level Diaw actually settled for, that's a little less great for us.
For a second round pick, I’d say getting a Diaw level player would be pretty great at that value. As frustrating as he was, he was a solid rotation player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't quite get why Oso is getting such praise. He has been ok, but to me Dunn has been far more impressive. Dunn can get real minutes as our defensive stopper.

Sure Oso can make a few decent passes, but so can Kaminsky. Really I think Frank can do everything Oso does with the exception of catching lobs, and he can sort of space the floor which Oso can't do.

There isn't any reason why both Dunn and Ighodaro are deserving of praise. They both have stood out thus far in preseason, especially considering where they were drafted.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he has Diaw's projected ceiling, that would be great for us. If his ceiling is the level Diaw actually settled for, that's a little less great for us.

I'm holding out for a healthy Ben Simmons comparison without the liabilities.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a second round pick, I’d say getting a Diaw level player would be pretty great at that value. As frustrating as he was, he was a solid rotation player.
Oh sure, even if he's never more than an average rotation player for us, that's great value for a second rounder. But Diaw, solid player though he was, had the potential to be far more. So when someone suggests he has Diaw's ceiling, I can't help but wonder which ceiling they're talking about - the one Boris topped out at or the one we all hoped he'd reach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh sure, even if he's never more than an average rotation player for us, that's great value for a second rounder. But Diaw, solid player though he was, had the potential to be far more. So when someone suggests he has Diaw's ceiling, I can't help but wonder which ceiling they're talking about - the one Boris topped out at or the one we all hoped he'd reach.

I'd settle for either Diaw where Oso was drafted.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty obvious it was a skills comparison not a mental one.

Diaw averaged 24/9/3/2 in a conference finals and hit a game winner. He was top-30 in win shares/VORP one year.

A better Suns comp might be someone that was a 8-9th man that does the dirty work but can pass and finish above the rim.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heard a good comparison for Oso's ceiling: Boris Diaw

I can see it, or maybe Lamar Odom.

I think his floor is something like Luke Walton, which, while not exciting, is a serviceable player.

I think he's going to be able to play, for sure, I don't think I've even been this boonish about a 2nd round pick.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard a good comparison for Oso's ceiling: Boris Diaw
That comparison was brought up in summer league and at the time I stated that, just like Diaw, he passed up on a shot near the rim with a guard on him only to kick it out to the corner. Very Diaw-like. ;) But so far he's looked even better in exhibition than he did in summer league. He seems to be the type to play better with better players around him. The good players are much more prepared for his skilled passes out of the post.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've made the Diaw comparison before for Oso and another player he's looked like more recently is Kyle Anderson, who is currently in the league on the Timberwolves and has been a contributor to good Spurs teams and Grizzlies teams. I hope Oso can be like that, find a way to impact the game without scoring because he's never going to be a shooter or a finisher but he can put points on the board when needed to justify some playing time but his main role is making the right move and providing productive minutes whether it be by passing, playmaking, defense, rebounding, or keeping defenses honest and paying attention.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diaw averaged 24/9/3/2 in a conference finals and hit a game winner. He was top-30 in win shares/VORP one year.

A better Suns comp might be someone that was a 8-9th man that does the dirty work but can pass and finish above the rim.
Diaw as talented as he was? He could be freaking lazy at times in his career. Let's hope he is not that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake