Suns @ Bulls 1-7-14

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yes actually, I was pleasantly surprised by Len's minutes. His mobility didn't look as bad as I remembered it, and hopefully with some more conditioning can give the Suns some good minutes out there.

One more thing to bitch about, I absolutely hate the offense when they just dump it into the post to Morris or Plumlee and everybody stands and watches. The stagnation is horrible. They need to make smart cuts off the ball and generally get more movement. The out of timeout plays generally look much better.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We're not a gimmick team any more than most of the teams in the league are, we're just not all that great without Bledsoe out there. Even with him we're no more than a borderline playoff team. It's probably going to have to be said after every loss but this is a process and we are VERY EARLY in that process.

Scouting report to beat the Suns: Don't let them blow in to town until a couple of hours before the game and make them leave Bledsoe behind. Go straight at Frye early and hope the refs will call a couple of quick fouls on him to throw him off his game.

Steve
Whoa I disagree a lot with that. This team relies on 3pt shooting more than any team does. I would even go as far as to say that this team relies more on 3pt shooting than any of those D'Antoni teams did.

If you want to know if a Suns are winning a game or not, you can find out by looking at the 3pt shooting % without looking at the game score and find out.

Dragic and Bledsoe are the only ones who can score inside for us. And even that isn't easy buckets, its very hard earned baskets.

Until we get a big guy who can get us easy buckets, I think we will be quite predictable.

And you are correct about the Suns not being all that great regardless but I will continue to get sucked into thinkign that this is some very good team without realizing that we are still a rebuilding team in the early stages of it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns travel to Chicago was delayed by 18 hours. They got to their hotel in time to get a 1 hour nap and then head to the arena. The temps are below zero outside. These guys were blitzed before they ever got to the arena.

Throw away game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lost by 5 pts guys, the sky isn't falling. We shall see how the rest of this road trip goes. Just remember we are rebuilding, were without Bledsoe, and we are playing with second string forwards and a streaky sg who doesn't normally start.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
The Suns travel to Chicago was delayed by 18 hours. They got to their hotel in time to get a 1 hour nap and then head to the arena. The temps are below zero outside. These guys were blitzed before they ever got to the arena.

Throw away game.

I think this loss was a combination of things. Bad travel, Cold weather, Bulls players stepping up when a couple key players went down etc etc etc.

I do not think the loss has anything to do with effort or poor coaching. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see more Ish last night. He appears to be the only capable passer in this group and that includes Goran. If you try to go one on one all night against the Bulls you will get beat.

During the broadcast last night it was mentioned that we were either last or close to last in assisted Field goals at under 50 %. I love Goran's heart and hustle but he is not a GREAT point guard. He is a shoot first PG. I really think the team looks far better with Bledsoe on the court but he also is not your typical PG. Teams have won championships without a great pass first PG but they have shared the ball.

I am not sure how this can be fixed with the players currently on the roster. My biggest disappointment last night was the play of the Moris Brothers. They continue to take contested jump shots rather than forcing the action in the paint. I expect that is why we apparently are interested in a guy like Thad Young.

These guys play hard and somehow were in this game at the end. They really have been remarkable this year. Just one game but they have a tough back to back tonight. I will be interested to see how they perform.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think this loss was a combination of things. Bad travel, Cold weather, Bulls players stepping up when a couple key players went down etc etc etc.

I do not think the loss has anything to do with effort or poor coaching. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see more Ish last night. He appears to be the only capable passer in this group and that includes Goran. If you try to go one on one all night against the Bulls you will get beat.

During the broadcast last night it was mentioned that we were either last or close to last in assisted Field goals at under 50 %. I love Goran's heart and hustle but he is not a GREAT point guard. He is a shoot first PG. I really think the team looks far better with Bledsoe on the court but he also is not your typical PG. Teams have won championships without a great pass first PG but they have shared the ball.

I am not sure how this can be fixed with the players currently on the roster. My biggest disappointment last night was the play of the Moris Brothers. They continue to take contested jump shots rather than forcing the action in the paint. I expect that is why we apparently are interested in a guy like Thad Young.

These guys play hard and somehow were in this game at the end. They really have been remarkable this year. Just one game but they have a tough back to back tonight. I will be interested to see how they perform.

Goran is not a shoot-first PG. I am frustrated with him for not being aggressive enough. he is not the reason the Suns are terrible when it comes to assists. Hell, neither is Bledsoe. the problem is that the Suns have nobody else who can make plays.

Good example last night was Noah- he made several good plays from the three point line. In the past, we had Hill, Diaw, etc. Green and Frye rarely even make a simple pass, let alone make a play; Morris twins make plays for each other and nobody else, Tucker and Plumlee lacks play-making skills at this stage in their careers, as does Goodwin for the most part. The team needs some non PGs who can make plays for other people.

In all fairness to the coach and the GM- the team needed 50 different things. They got athleticism, three point shooting, they got a little bit of toughness and defense, so they are getting there- it's just that you can't fill every single need in one off-season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Goran is not a shoot-first PG. I am frustrated with him for not being aggressive enough. he is not the reason the Suns are terrible when it comes to assists. Hell, neither is Bledsoe. the problem is that the Suns have nobody else who can make plays.

Good example last night was Noah- he made several good plays from the three point line. In the past, we had Hill, Diaw, etc. Green and Frye rarely even make a simple pass, let alone make a play; Morris twins make plays for each other and nobody else, Tucker and Plumlee lacks play-making skills at this stage in their careers, as does Goodwin for the most part. The team needs some non PGs who can make plays for other people.

In all fairness to the coach and the GM- the team needed 50 different things. They got athleticism, three point shooting, they got a little bit of toughness and defense, so they are getting there- it's just that you can't fill every single need in one off-season.

That's a good point. I think a point-forward like Grant Hill would be a really interesting addition to this team. Only thing is that there aren't many out there.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That's a good point. I think a point-forward like Grant Hill would be a really interesting addition to this team. Only thing is that there aren't many out there.

Hayward would be good. And I've read right here on ASFN that the Suns will be targeting him this off season!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good example last night was Noah- he made several good plays from the three point line. In the past, we had Hill, Diaw, etc. Green and Frye rarely even make a simple pass, let alone make a play; Morris twins make plays for each other and nobody else, .

I was wondering if it was just me noticing that about the Morris twins. It makes sense that they would make plays for each other since they have been playing together their whole lives, but at some point you have to include others.

The person we miss making plays is Grant Hill.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was just me noticing that about the Morris twins. It makes sense that they would make plays for each other since they have been playing together their whole lives, but at some point you have to include others.

The person we miss making plays is Grant Hill.

Hill and 2005/2006 Boris Diaw were the two players that I thought of.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Agree with all of that... with the possible exception of Plumlee... I think he does possess play-making skills. I think he is very capable when with the ball down low... including with his back to the rim. And I believe he is going to continue to improve.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with all of that... with the possible exception of Plumlee... I think he does possess play-making skills. I think he is very capable when with the ball down low... including with his back to the rim. And I believe he is going to continue to improve.

I agree, it was a solid post but I also agree with your exception. I think Plumlee is just starting on his journey. We're all in love with his footwork but that kind of footwork coupled with his nice touch should make him a real handful to guard down there as he adds a few more moves and shots to his repertoire. I think it's a waste for certain players to get schooled by Hakeem; players like Gortat and Howard just aren't built that way. But I could see Plumlee moving to another level if he works with Olajuwon in the off-season.

Steve

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I agree, it was a solid post but I also agree with your exception. I think Plumlee is just starting on his journey. We're all in love with his footwork but that kind of footwork coupled with his nice touch should make him a real handful to guard down there as he adds a few more moves and shots to his repertoire. I think it's a waste for certain players to get schooled by Hakeem; players like Gortat and Howard just aren't built that way. But I could see Plumlee moving to another level if he works with Olajuwon in the off-season.

Steve

Exactly how I see it...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree with you guys. I should have clarified that I was specifically talking about making plays for other people. Plumlee can make things happen in the low post- his footwork is exceptional. What he doesn't have just yet is the ability to make plays for other people.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Throw away game.

That explains the way they looked in the game. They had no energy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05