Suns @ Clippers Tuesday game thread 12-17-19

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
It's the Suns MO. Along with the rest of the league.
There’s a reason for that. Teams are trying to win games, and will use whatever strategy gives them the best chance to do that. Coaches and GMs are a lot smarter than you and me when it comes to basketball. Having said that, there are times that they should go away from the 3...at least for certain players.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I never understood why teams went to that, the league has one team with some of the greatest shooters of all time do it successfully and all of a sudden the NBA thinks it's the only way to play
And now they're talking about a 4-point shot.
So if someone would be foolish enough to
foul, it would be a 5-point play.

Just like our economy -- uncontrolled inflation. :)

It's why I watch the Slam Dunk contest during
All Star weekend, but not the 3-point contest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of 3rd quarter:

Clippers 90 - Suns 69

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are amazingly EXCELLENT at allowing other teams to score the 3 ball though...

When opponents soften the Suns up inside it's much easier to get the open 3 pointer. A lot of points come on fast breaks on Suns missed shots.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty's rotations seem a bit clunky tonight. Granted, Ayton is back so we were going to see a lot of guys unfamiliar with eachother, but we've seen some strange front court looks and even went with 3 PGs for a bit there. Maybe he was chalking this one up as a loss and wanted to experiment but we were competitive early when we had our starting look out there and then we have hardly used it since.

While Ayton has taken plenty of shots I wish that he would less often be used as a decoy on pick and rolls. It seems like he only gets the ball when he sets a pick and then stays out of the paint, anytime he rolls to the rim we fail to even look to get him the ball.

But man, he is almost automatic from within 12 feet... but he needs to dump the 16 foot plus shots from his arsenal completely. Either step back and take a 3 or pass the ball, long 2s are the worst shot in basketball.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I know it’s easier said than done, but the Suns really need a poor man’s Lou Williams type. Someone to come off the bench and be a professional scorer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are like a candy with a soft nougat in the middle without Ayton.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Monty's rotations seem a bit clunky tonight. Granted, Ayton is back so we were going to see a lot of guys unfamiliar with eachother, but we've seen some strange front court looks and even went with 3 PGs for a bit there. Maybe he was chalking this one up as a loss and wanted to experiment but we were competitive early when we had our starting look out there and then we have hardly used it since.

While Ayton has taken plenty of shots I wish that he would less often be used as a decoy on pick and rolls. It seems like he only gets the ball when he sets a pick and then stays out of the paint, anytime he rolls to the rim we fail to even look to get him the ball.

But man, he is almost automatic from within 12 feet... but he needs to dump the 16 foot plus shots from his arsenal completely. Either step back and take a 3 or pass the ball, long 2s are the worst shot in basketball.

Yeah, I was under the impression there would be many P&Rs with Rubio and Ayton and that just wasn’t the case. A lot of passes to the perimeter for contested jumpers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm wondering why Kevin Ray refers to Aubre's shots as left-handed,
as though he shot it with his off hand. Aubre is a lefty.

It's like saying that Booker made a right-handed shot. :shrug:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I was under the impression there would be many P&Rs with Rubio and Ayton and that just wasn’t the case. A lot of passes to the perimeter for contested jumpers.

In the opener I feel like Ayton got at least 3 dunks on Rubio pick and rolls... maybe the Clips game planned for it or something.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Unfortunately P&Rs are hard to do with Rubio because no one is afraid of him shooting

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Clippers 120 - Suns 99