Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol

Errntknght

Reaction score
I can't help but think: If the Suns are in the market for a veteran big man who can play some defense, rebound, not require a long-term investment, and be compatible with team chemistry, why not ... drum roll please ... Emeka Okafor? I mean, seriously, is he really unable to play? He'd be just as useful in a playoff push as any of the other candidates, and he's already on the roster.

Geez, Eric, you didn't give me a drum roll when I made the same suggestion six weeks ago. We had a thread on the topic when the team played in NY and McD was going to meet with Emeka to pursue the possibility. Nothing came of it, however, and the impression we got was that Okafor wouldn't consider anything but continuing his rehab in NJ.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fixed that for you. Suns won't have Home court advantage in 1st round. Therefore a single series win against Clippers, Portland, or San Antonio would be the ultimate goal - and a Huge accomplishment... and I agree, would categorize the trade as a success.

yeah...I gotta say, this team coming from where it was in the off-season to getting to the 2nd round would have to be considered a MONSTER success. 3rd round and it's almost like winning the damn lottery.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Geez, Eric, you didn't give me a drum roll when I made the same suggestion six weeks ago. We had a thread on the topic when the team played in NY and McD was going to meet with Emeka to pursue the possibility.

Well that was before it became evident that the Suns are seriously considering trying to make a big push this year. Things change.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I can't help but think: If the Suns are in the market for a veteran big man who can play some defense, rebound, not require a long-term investment, and be compatible with team chemistry, why not ... drum roll please ... Emeka Okafor? I mean, seriously, is he really unable to play? He'd be just as useful in a playoff push as any of the other candidates, and he's already on the roster.

Gasol would bring at least one other dimension that isn't already present on the Suns current roster at the 5 spot - reliable low post scoring. Okafor doesn't really bring that either so bringing him back doesn't really change the incumbent dynamic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo says the suns could use Gasol in a sign and trade for Love.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It also does not take into account the cost of a home game including salaries, utilities, and a myriad of other things.

Unfortunately, it is not quite that simple. You are looking at profit, but not taking cost into consideration. Arena doesn't operate itself, the arena doesn't secure itself, etc.

I am not arguing that it is not VERY profitable, but I am questioning if it is profitable enough that 3-6 would justify the difference between Gasol and Okafor and giving up the insurance money associated with Okafor's contract. The answer is that neither one of us knows, and all we can do is speculate..

I said originally straight revenue, don't know about operating costs or P&L but on strictly revenue my numbers are pretty close on a game by game basis. You honestly couldn't put a price on what getting to the second or third round would be from a merchandising standpoint and in 2014-2015 season ticket sales.

Well, you could also miss out on the Tony Parkers. Or, that pick could come in handy for a trade that could actually benefit the Suns for more than half a season and a round of playoffs.
A half season worth of Pau Gasol probably equals more points and rebounds than the entire career of 80% of NBA draft picks in the 20's. And who's to say he won't fall in love with it here and stay another couple years? For the record of the 168 players chosen in the time period exactly six players drafted in the 2000's between 20-32 have made an All Star team...

Rajon Rondo
David Lee
Jameer Nelson
Josh Howard
Gerald Wallace
Tony Parker

So basically one borderline two franchise players in the last 14 drafts in that range. People are acting like we're acquiring Kwame Brown over here, Gasol even at 33 is one of the top 30-40 players in basketball.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gasol would bring at least one other dimension that isn't already present on the Suns current roster at the 5 spot - reliable low post scoring. Okafor doesn't really bring that either so bringing him back doesn't really change the incumbent dynamic.

agreed. there's a chance okafor would probably hurt the suns come playoff time more so than gasol.

Gambo says the suns could use Gasol in a sign and trade for Love.

gambo's tweeting that gasol could come valuable playoff time? i've already said that, he must be reading the boards here.
and i've already said we could use gasol's rights in a sign and trade later. who's gambo on here? lol

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think the Suns will make the deal for Gasol as a try to boost fan interest - which winning a series in the playoffs would do. It would be a feather in McD hat to transform Gortat into Gasol...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys. I just can't get on board with this. Even with Gasol straight up for Okafor, I think the end result is the Suns score less points and give up more. I can't even imagine what it might do in the locker room, which is the best culture the Suns have ever had.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Best culture ever had?
Huh?

Ever?... Hmmm

I'm just watching it on TV but I've never seen it better. Even the deep bench guys are locked in. They clearly like playing with each other and for the coaching staff too. We've had some teams with good chemistry in the past so I don't know for sure that it's the best but I believe it when I hear those close to the team talk about it.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Suns will make the deal for Gasol as a try to boost fan interest - which winning a series in the playoffs would do. It would be a feather in McD hat to transform Gortat into Gasol...

Winning is certainly important but boosting interest and selling more season tickets for next year I expect is the ultimate goal.

If this trade does goes down I think it could spark a lot of interest in this town. There are far too many empty seats at US Airways center.

I could care less which draft pick they give up this year. I just don't want them touching next years Lakers pick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Winning is certainly important but boosting interest and selling more season tickets for next year I expect is the ultimate goal.

If this trade does goes down I think it could spark a lot of interest in this town. There are far too many empty seats at US Airways center.

I could care less which draft pick they give up this year. I just don't want them touching next years Lakers pick.

There are a lot of empty seats in most arenas around the country.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm just watching it on TV but I've never seen it better. Even the deep bench guys are locked in. They clearly like playing with each other and for the coaching staff too. We've had some teams with good chemistry in the past so I don't know for sure that it's the best but I believe it when I hear those close to the team talk about it.

I'm not so sure, the team without Amare where we went to the WCF was pretty special and had great chemistry. How do you get the WCF without your All-Star Power Forward?

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm not so sure, the team without Amare where we went to the WCF was pretty special and had great chemistry. How do you get the WCF without your All-Star Power Forward?

B/C Nash was at the height of his powers that year and Diaw hadn't yet discovered Krispy Kreme.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sorry, guys. I just can't get on board with this. Even with Gasol straight up for Okafor, I think the end result is the Suns score less points and give up more. I can't even imagine what it might do in the locker room, which is the best culture the Suns have ever had.
We can agree to disagree on the scoring end of things, but Gasol has been a model citizen everywhere he's been. I doubt he interrupts team chemistry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's not already been posted, below is a link to a more detailed article written by Paul Coro at azcentral dated 2-3-14. The salary part is the most interesting as it speaks more directly as to Okafor's value to the Suns.

Okafor’s contract, with the Suns’ $5.6 million of salary-cap space, also could be a chip for the Suns to make a trade that would go in one of two directions (or some combination of the two): They could make a deal for a quality young player who they feel is on the rise and could be part of their long-term championship hopes. They also could acquire a player who gives them a bump this season, when they unexpectedly are in sixth place in the Western Conference.

The latter is what prompted the talks, reported first by ESPN.com, with the Los Angeles Lakers for Pau Gasol. The Suns are exploring many options for the Okafor trade chip, but Gasol leaked to light. Even with Gasol’s $19.3 million contract, the Suns could make the deal because of their cap space. But it would come at a cost of about $7 million for what the Suns would lose in Okafor contract savings and take on in prorated payroll.

That's a lot of money on the table the Suns are willing to give up.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...afor-will-play-a-big-role.html?nclick_check=1

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree on the scoring end of things, but Gasol has been a model citizen everywhere he's been. I doubt he interrupts team chemistry.

I agree. I have zero concern with Gasol hurting the chemistry.

I think the Suns would score even more, and they would have a couple of different looks they could put on the floor.

If this "spacing" is as important as people claim it is, you can space the hell out of the floor with Fry at the 3 point line, and Gasol at 15-18 feet away from the basket.

Additionally, you can throw it to him in the low post, and let him run the offense from there. He can score in the low post, and he can pass and make plays for others.

If the game really slows down and becomes a defensive game fought in the paint, then you can always play Gasol at 4 and Plumlee or Len at 5.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Gasol is a very experienced vet who's fought many playoff battles, and even won a championship a couple of times. I think he's been very unhappy in LA for the last couple of years, and his reputation suffered a lot as a result of that. I'd think he'd be very happy in Phoenix, and would work hard to repair his reputation.

There are definite theoretical benefits of bringing Gasol in. I am just not sold it's worth slowing down the development of our youngsters (Plumlee and Len, mainly).

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Well don't know if it actually hurt team chemistry but Gasol has made some comments to the media about his playing time and post touches at least once this year and possibly more...

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

From many accounts the surprise 2010 team had some great chemistry. We do have 3 of those guys still, I wonder how they would compare the two teams.

HooverDam

Reaction score
More from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...d-caution-injury-los-angeles-lakers-pau-gasol

it's believed Suns officials want to see how Gasol recovers from a strained groin before deciding whether to take talks to the next level.....

Because the trade would not bring the Lakers all the way under the luxury tax, sources said L.A. remains insistent on getting back draft picks or young players in addition to salary cap savings for the 33-year-old Gasol.....

The Lakers expect a more robust market to develop for him in advance of the trade deadline, sources said

I think if I were the Suns, and I wanted this deal to happen, I'd try to make it happen right now. If the Lakers are right in feeling a more robust market may develop for Gasol (likely, teams get more desperate near the deadline) it could end up costing the Suns more.

Roll the dice on the groin injury, offer them Emeka & Indy's pick and get it done. I'd hate to see the Suns wait and then have to give up 2 picks, or Archie Goodwin or something.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well don't know if it actually hurt team chemistry but Gasol has made some comments to the media about his playing time and post touches at least once this year and possibly more...

It has happened often. I think it's a real concern.

I think if I were the Suns, and I wanted this deal to happen, I'd try to make it happen right now.

I agree. The longer they wait, the weaker their position. If part of their strategy is to drive up the perceived value of Okafor's contract, then they're gambling on getting a better deal from another team. If that doesn't happen, it weakens their position with respect to the Lakers.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I don't get it, isn't 1 one more than 0? How is it a fix?

"Extra" implies "in addition to..." Zero is the absence of something, it is nothing. Therefore, more of nothing, is more nothing.

If we are splitting hairs. :) ... which I was...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake