Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
There have got to be several teams out there that would love to save some money by trading for Okafor and for the Suns standing pat is not out of the question either. The Suns are in the driver's seat. I can't imagine McDonough getting anything but a great deal.

Then again I can't see the Suns drafting 3 or 4 rookies this summer either? How are you gonna find PT for 3 rookies with all the young talent we already have? The Suns are gonna have to trade at least one of those picks at some point. If Minn. makes the playoffs the Suns will need to trade 2.

Also have the ability to trade 1 or 2 of this years picks for future 1sts as well as drafting a Euro or 2 and keep over seasfor a year or two.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No. But a huge part of negotiating is understanding the other party's situation. It is in their best interest to do this trade straight up. It is more important for them to do this than it is for the Suns to do this.

The benefit of this trade for the Suns is only short term and that is somewhat negligible. There is no point in giving the Laker's picks just because we are nice guys. Its not like we're Canadian.

Excellent point!

I just don't see the logic in making a push for a deep playoff run. As it stands, the Suns look like their at least 2 notches below the elite teams, even with the wins against Portland/Indiana. They don't have a desperate win-now roster (like Brooklyn or San Antonio to a lesser extent) and have great chemistry with the team they have.

I hope you guys are right that it's a smokescreen to another target (please let it not be Anthony) because this really makes me scratch my head.

I agree. I am trying to like this idea, but I just can't bring myself to it. I just don't think Gasol makes us a contender, and if he doesn't make us a contender, then this is slowing down development of Len and plumlee, and I just cannot support that.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
I agree. I am trying to like this idea, but I just can't bring myself to it. I just don't think Gasol makes us a contender, and if he doesn't make us a contender, then this is slowing down development of Len and plumlee, and I just cannot support that.[/QUOTE]

I'm here as well. Gasol was a good player at one point...but I just don't see him taking us to a level where it would be worth renting him for the year

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I just don't see the logic in making a push for a deep playoff run. As it stands, the Suns look like their at least 2 notches below the elite teams, even with the wins against Portland/Indiana. They don't have a desperate win-now roster (like Brooklyn or San Antonio to a lesser extent) and have great chemistry with the team they have.

I hope you guys are right that it's a smokescreen to another target (please let it not be Anthony) because this really makes me scratch my head.

Oh god, how could you guys let me get away with that. THEY'RE.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No. But a huge part of negotiating is understanding the other party's situation. It is in their best interest to do this trade straight up. It is more important for them to do this than it is for the Suns to do this.

I have talked to a couple of Lakers fans and they are saying that they don't think the Lakers are looking to move Gasol just for saving money, they are looking to move him so that they can get an asset (1st rd pick etc).

If they wanted to move Gasol just to save money, they could have send him to Chicago for Bynum but they didn't. The Lakers were the ones who pulled out of that deal because they wanted the Cavs to add an asset to the deal and Cavs said no so LAL took Pau off the table.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I agree. I am trying to like this idea, but I just can't bring myself to it. I just don't think Gasol makes us a contender, and if he doesn't make us a contender, then this is slowing down development of Len and plumlee, and I just cannot support that.

Thats an easy point of view to have as a fan, and not one I disagree with. But imagine your a owner (whos not a billionaire) of a mid market team, does your perspective change? Likely it would. If the Suns make the playoffs, especially if they can get out of round 1, it really helps their bottom line.

If the Suns have a healthy Bledsoe and Pau, is there any Western team that scares you besides OKC? There wouldn't be any to me. While there would be teams we wouldn't be favored against, I wouldn't be surprised to see those theoretical Suns beat any other western team in a series.

I have talked to a couple of Lakers fans and they are saying that they don't think the Lakers are looking to move Gasol just for saving money, they are looking to move him so that they can get an asset (1st rd pick etc).

If they wanted to move Gasol just to save money, they could have send him to Chicago for Bynum but they didn't. The Lakers were the ones who pulled out of that deal because they wanted the Cavs to add an asset to the deal and Cavs said no so LAL took Pau off the table.

And they may now realize they'll lose Pau for nothing if they hold onto him, this season is garbage anyhow, and they may as well save money.

But like I/others have said, if its Okafor + a pick at 20 or later for Pau, obviously, do it. Its got too much upside for such a low cost.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
If the Suns have a healthy Bledsoe and Pau, is there any Western team that scares you besides OKC? There wouldn't be any to me. While there would be teams we wouldn't be favored against, I wouldn't be surprised to see those theoretical Suns beat any other western team in a series.

That's the key though, this is all theoretical. We won't know how that team will play until and while in theory they should be better, that's not guaranteed. It's entirely possible that this team + Pau is actually worse than the current team. Earlier in the year Pau was sniping at MDA through media about his touches and playing time, saying the offense should run through him. Is he comfortable taking a backseat to a Dragic dominated offense?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Thats an easy point of view to have as a fan, and not one I disagree with. But imagine your a owner (whos not a billionaire) of a mid market team, does your perspective change? Likely it would. If the Suns make the playoffs, especially if they can get out of round 1, it really helps their bottom line.

As a Manager, I understand that bringing in Gasol may take me into the 2nd round, and I realize that brings in revenue. I also understand that you have to calculate the cost (both short-term and long-term) of that move and see if it's worth it.

Bringing in Gasol adds money to payroll, and losing Okafor's (insured) contract is an expense as well. Obviously, I don't manage the Suns, so I don't know if extra 3-6 home games in playoffs are worth the x number of millions in added cost/ payroll. Getting rid of a draft pick may also be an actual benefit.

Long-term, I have to look at Len and Plumlee, who are the future of this team, and I have to decide if those 3-6 extra home games during playoffs are worth it if a half-year rental player is slowing down their development.

In business, I've learned that no move is simple. You have to look at all the benefits, all (not just the obvious) cost, and really make some decisions.

If I were managing the Suns, I'd say that short-term cost vs. benefit analysis is questionable, and long-term short vs. benefit analysis scares me.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Every home playoff game is an extra $1.5 million just in attendance revenue. Countless more in public relations (especially after the last 3-4 years), television/radio negotiations, merchandise, etc. This team getting to the WCF would be huge for this franchise. With Pau and Bledsoe that is certainly within reach.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This team getting to the WCF would be huge for this franchise. With Pau and Bledsoe that is certainly within reach.

If you told me this before the start of the regular season, I'd say you're nuts, but it's looking less and less crazy as the season progresses. There just really aren't any dominating teams in the NBA, and adding a guy like Gasol for essentially nothing would help cover some of our major weaknesses (lack of playoff experience, keeping Plumlee's out at end game)

As long as we're not giving up any major pieces, why not roll the dice and see what happens?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Every home playoff game is an extra $1.5 million just in attendance revenue. Countless more in public relations (especially after the last 3-4 years), television/radio negotiations, merchandise, etc. This team getting to the WCF would be huge for this franchise. With Pau and Bledsoe that is certainly within reach.

Source?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? This is the first Coro has said anything about the Lakers/Suns possibility. In his article, he has said nothing that Stein from ESPN or Gambo have said yesterday. Has nothing to do with how "tight" I am with Gambo, which I don't even know the man. Was jsut stating that the article bore nothing new.

So here are some relevant tweets from Gambadora:

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987 19h

Love would be perfect here but I think better chance to trade for him in offseason once he tells Minny he won't be coming back
Expand

The chances of trading for Gasol are slim but there is a chance, feeling being he can help them in playoffs when game becomes half court
Expand

The Suns would not give up a first round pick for Gasol only Okafor because it adds 8 mill in payroll and subtracts 13 off LAs books.

Expand

Ok now to the Gasol rumors. The Suns want to trade the Okafor contract, Gasol is one of about 10 options they are considering but he is hurt

https://twitter.com/Gambo987

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If you told me this before the start of the regular season, I'd say you're nuts, but it's looking less and less crazy as the season progresses. There just really aren't any dominating teams in the NBA, and adding a guy like Gasol for essentially nothing would help cover some of our major weaknesses (lack of playoff experience, keeping Plumlee's out at end game)

As long as we're not giving up any major pieces, why not roll the dice and see what happens?
Yep, people need to go back and look at draft picks in the 20's and look at the historical success. It's not that big of a loss if we have to give up a pick in that range.

And as I said, other than OKC with a healthy Westbrook I don't think there's anyone else in the West we have no chance against. I'd put Miami and Indiana (latest results aside) in that category as well but that's it. Could LAC or San Antonio or Portland beat us? Sure, but with Bledsoe and Gasol in the fold those chances decrease significantly.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chances some 28th pick pans out is very low. Are we really worried about missing out on the Alando Tuckers of the world?

Well, you could also miss out on the Tony Parkers. Or, that pick could come in handy for a trade that could actually benefit the Suns for more than half a season and a round of playoffs.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep, people need to go back and look at draft picks in the 20's and look at the historical success. It's not that big of a loss if we have to give up a pick in that range.

And as I said, other than OKC with a healthy Westbrook I don't think there's anyone else in the West we have no chance against. I'd put Miami and Indiana (latest results aside) in that category as well but that's it. Could LAC or San Antonio or Portland beat us? Sure, but with Bledsoe and Gasol in the fold those chances decrease significantly.

Stop with the common sense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Average regular season ticket price = $58

x USAC capacity of 19023

= $1,103,334 in revenue from tickets alone

This doesn't take into consideration higher pricing for playoff tickets, concessions, parking, etc.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/phoenix-suns/

It also does not take into account the cost of a home game including salaries, utilities, and a myriad of other things.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

I agree, although holding most of the leverage in the situation, I'd prefer just to do Okafor straight up, or the Indiana pick.

LAC, San Antonio and Portland really aren't that scary, and OKC is really good, but if we could somehow make it to the WCF, who cares anyway? That would be a stunning level of success, all things considered.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, although holding most of the leverage in the situation, I'd prefer just to do Okafor straight up, or the Indiana pick.

LAC, San Antonio and Portland really aren't that scary, and OKC is really good, but if we could somehow make it to the WCF, who cares anyway? That would be a stunning level of success, all things considered.

I guess, if we're looking at...

Dragic
Bledsoe
Tucker
Frye
Pau

with a bench of Plumlee, Green, The Morris Twins, Len and Barbs...

that team might be able to do some decent damage in the playoffs. it doesn't look pretty on paper, but it's pretty deep and would be intriguing.

All that said, I KNOW I'll end up hating Gasol's soft ass in the playoffs. He'll definitely be my new Shawn marion when he inevitably goes tortilla.

just don't want to give up any picks that ain't the Pacers. this draft isn't going to be world-beater draft everyone thought, but I still think it's going to be pretty damn deep and giving up a pick at 20 or 14 or 15 doesn't seem like a smart move for a rental player.

I'm pretty okay with Okafor/Indy pick, but anything else, I'm content to see how the season plays out.

HooverDam

Reaction score
It also does not take into account the cost of a home game including salaries, utilities, and a myriad of other things.

Indeed, though I recall reading in the past (and it would take me too long to find this, sorry) that the way the Suns and most NBA teams figure their books is that any home playoff games are almost pure profit. The arena operating costs are fairly low.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Average regular season ticket price = $58

x USAC capacity of 19023

= $1,103,334 in revenue from tickets alone

This doesn't take into consideration higher pricing for playoff tickets, concessions, parking, etc.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/phoenix-suns/

Unfortunately, it is not quite that simple. You are looking at profit, but not taking cost into consideration. Arena doesn't operate itself, the arena doesn't secure itself, etc.

I am not arguing that it is not VERY profitable, but I am questioning if it is profitable enough that 3-6 would justify the difference between Gasol and Okafor and giving up the insurance money associated with Okafor's contract. The answer is that neither one of us knows, and all we can do is speculate.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't help but think: If the Suns are in the market for a veteran big man who can play some defense, rebound, not require a long-term investment, and be compatible with team chemistry, why not ... drum roll please ... Emeka Okafor? I mean, seriously, is he really unable to play? He'd be just as useful in a playoff push as any of the other candidates, and he's already on the roster.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am not arguing that it is not VERY profitable, but I am questioning if it is profitable enough that 3-6 would justify the difference between Gasol and Okafor and giving up the insurance money associated with Okafor's contract. The answer is that neither one of us knows, and all we can do is speculate.

If getting Gasol guaranteed an extra playoff series win, then I think the trade would be an automatic good idea. Even if the immediate financials wouldn't justify it, the extra postseason success would be immensely valuable for the development of the Suns' inexperienced players and in recruiting free agents.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
If getting Gasol guaranteed a. ..... playoff series win, then I think the trade would be an automatic good idea.

I fixed that for you. Suns won't have Home court advantage in 1st round. Therefore a single series win against Clippers, Portland, or San Antonio would be the ultimate goal - and a Huge accomplishment... and I agree, would categorize the trade as a success.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake