Suns get lottery pick from Lakers if they miss playoffs

Errntknght

Reaction score
I thought Gentry was likeable and I liked his demeanor but I thought he had serious flaws as a coach.
1. defense - he didn't teach it to a noticeable degree; he didn't demand if of the players; and he didn't structure the team defense well.

2. He never squarely faced the problems Nash created for the offense - the problems that surfaced when Nash sat. He was even shown a solution the year they had a well defined second unit led by Dragic and Amundson but he didn't recognize it. So far from recognizing it that he announced at the start of the next that they would return to typical NBA substitution patterns and Dragic predictably fell apart, having once again to run an offense designed specifically for Nash. Still not a glimmer. To me that is just dense. (Of course, D'Antoni was equally culpable for not recognizing that problem but then he never questioned any of his methods which is equivalent to being stupid.)

3) He didn't stand up to the front office when it came to the players they contemplated bringing in. He acted his job was simply to coach whatever conglomeration of players the FO inflicted on him. Whether he was weak willed or lacked vision or understanding of what makes a coherent team, the result is the same.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Lakers can make the playoffs with both their primary Center and substitute Center out for awhile, they would deserve it.
Yes, apparently it is very difficult to make playoffs when your down to merely two future hall-of-famers on your roster :)

Errntknght

Reaction score
Celtics are up by 15 in late second quarter... go green!

According to the box, Kobe has 0 assists... I guess he's reverted to form...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Celtics are up by 15 in late second quarter... go green!

According to the box, Kobe has 0 assists... I guess he's reverted to form...

I get the impression he and Dwight are not the best of buddies right now. :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the impression he and Dwight are not the best of buddies right now. :D

I love it. Kobe has taken a combustible situation and tossed gasoline on it. Man can that guy rationalize. He doesn't have Phil here to straighten everyone out and Mike is not the guy to bring this to a happy conclusion. Hopefully, it will cause them to fall apart this year and lead to Dwight taking his services elsewhere at the END of the season.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers are getting obliterated. Dwight looks like a shell out there, Kobe is back to his old habits. I think we can toss this game in the loss column.

Also Gasol's injury timetable sounds like it will probably be longer than 8 weeks.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Down 30 with under 6 minutes left and D'Antoni still had Dwight out there just waiting for him to re-injure himself. Lucky for Dwight he fouled out before it could happen.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Down 30 with under 6 minutes left and D'Antoni still had Dwight out there just waiting for him to re-injure himself. Lucky for Dwight he fouled out before it could happen.
I had been under the assumption that Dwight was going to be out for awhile. Was he anywhere near 100% in the game?

And yeah, maybe D'Antoni is waiting for . . . . . :thud:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been under the assumption that Dwight was going to be out for awhile. Was he anywhere near 100% in the game?

And yeah, maybe D'Antoni is waiting for . . . . . :thud:

Before he recently re-injured his shoulder he was at about 75% (according to him). Now, with the torn labrum acting up, he's probably about 50% of where he was 90% of the time and less than half that the rest of the time. To answer your question another way, no, he was nowhere near 100% in the game. He's been a shell of his former self and tonight he was a shell of that shell.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We have it in our own hands really..

We play the Lakers two more times, we play Houston four more times, Portland once, Utah once.

If we split with the Lakers and lose the other games the standing would look like this right now.

Utah 29-22
Houston 31-24
Portland 26-24
Lakers 24-28

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have it in our own hands really..

We play the Lakers two more times, we play Houston four more times, Portland once, Utah once.

If we split with the Lakers and lose the other games the standing would look like this right now.

Utah 29-22
Houston 31-24
Portland 26-24
Lakers 24-28

Interesting way of looking at it. You know Babby is aware of it.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan Hill out. Paul Gasol out. Dwight Howard half assed. Laker infighting continuing. I think we got this.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its still in the 1st half but the Lakers are getting thrashed by the Bobcats. That would be a crushing loss for them.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Kobe has no points in the first half vs the Bobcats. It is like the second half of game 5 in the 2007 first round series against the Suns. He seems to have given up. I never thought watching a team implode could be such fun.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Lakers pulled it out. But there were quite a few games tonight which ended favorably for us. Washington won and the way they've been coming on they could overtake us. Toronto won, moving them ahead of us. NO won, tying us for wins. Cleveland won tying us in W column, Det won, staying a step ahead. Houston beat Portland, and Houston is more likely to keep LA out of the playoffs than Blazers; Minny won keeping them ahead of us. Orlando and Charlotte lost but hey, we're almost a cinch to finish ahead of them anyway. More nights like this and we'll be looking at the #3 slot.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
#3 and #9 would be great. We seem to be lucky at 9 and we need all the luck we can get.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the consensus on our new coach?

I don't think you can ever really judge an interim coach. I'm hopeful based on what I know and have read about Hunter but I want to see what he can do with an offseason/preseason to prepare. He seems to have had a positive impact on the younger players but there is often an un unsustainable uptick with a coaching change so who knows.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
Consensus on a coach in here? It will probably take three years after he's fired to come anywhere close to it!

Philosophically, I'm jumping up and down with joy to have defense be considered an important part of the game. I mean, I grew up following and watching the Auerbach Celtics and while they're (justly) famous for their fastbreak game they were a terrific defensive team as well, anchored by Bill Russell. I've been waiting forty-odd years to see the Suns play some serious D and its been a painful wait - with the D'Antoni era being nauseating.

Practically, I'm not greatly impressed so far except for the Lakers game. But Rome wasn't built in a day and we will have to get more players with defense built into their genetic code. I'm disappointed that Hunter dropped Telfair out of the rotation because he was our second best perimeter defender behind PJ - IMO, anyway. Marshall has improved a lot since our first sightings of him but Telfair applies more pressure. Pressure at the point of attack is critical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05