Suns in 2004-05; things to come?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Swingdance said:
So do you think this team has the makings of a championship team?

Welcome aboard.

The Suns are clearly one of the elite teams. A lot of discussion revolves around how they will do against the Spurs, but it is not clear that anyone else is better.

OP
OP
Swingdance

Swingdance

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Welcome aboard.

The Suns are clearly one of the elite teams. A lot of discussion revolves around how they will do against the Spurs, but it is not clear that anyone else is better.

I agree, a lot of people seem to want to evaluate the Suns vs. the Spurs on the result of just one game.

jibikao

Reaction score
If Suns can play the way they've been playing for the past 6 games, Suns should be able to handle Spurs. It may be a tough battle but we should go to game 7 and win the game.

The first test is to get past that mental wall. Nash needs to calm down and try to figure out how to defend that pick&roll as a team. Amare should take advantage of the fact that Spurs doesn't guard him that much.

Q needs to shoot better than 0/7.

Jimmy

Jimmy

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nash should just go under the pick and let Parker shoot the outside jumper. If he hits a good % from the outside then I can live with that.....it would have to be lower than his % on uncontested layups.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Nash should just go under the pick and let Parker shoot the outside jumper. If he hits a good % from the outside then I can live with that.....it would have to be lower than his % on uncontested layups.

Exactly, Suns defense is based on forcing teams to beat them from the outside. Against the Spurs it looked like a layup drill.

If they tighten up the interior they should be able to take advantage of some of those San Antonio turnovers and missed shots to get out and run.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After the Spurs game, the Spurs players admitted that they shot the ball extremely well. Some of it was poor defense on the part of the Sun, but some of it was just that they were hot.

On the flip side, the Suns were ice cold. I blame part of it on the fact that the Suns were not used to teams single covering Amare and then pressing their outside shooters. It was a learning experience for the Suns and they seem to be moving without the ball better than against the Spurs.

Also, Hunter played only 9 minutes against the Spurs. He's been averaging over 20 this year and it is not surprising that the Suns defense has looked better as a result.

Another factor was that the Suns were killed on the boards by the Spurs by 13 rebounds. The Suns outrebounded Miami by 4, outrebounded Indiana by 24 rebounds, and matched the bigger Clippers and Rockets (these teams caught up in garbage time).

I'm very excited by their rematch on Friday the 21st. I think the Spurs are still the team to beat, but I like the Suns chances.

jibikao

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
After the Spurs game, the Spurs players admitted that they shot the ball extremely well. Some of it was poor defense on the part of the Sun, but some of it was just that they were hot.

On the flip side, the Suns were ice cold. I blame part of it on the fact that the Suns were not used to teams single covering Amare and then pressing their outside shooters. It was a learning experience for the Suns and they seem to be moving without the ball better than against the Spurs.

Also, Hunter played only 9 minutes against the Spurs. He's been averaging over 20 this year and it is not surprising that the Suns defense has looked better as a result.

Another factor was that the Suns were killed on the boards by the Spurs by 13 rebounds. The Suns outrebounded Miami by 4, outrebounded Indiana by 24 rebounds, and matched the bigger Clippers and Rockets (these teams caught up in garbage time).

I'm very excited by their rematch on Friday the 21st. I think the Spurs are still the team to beat, but I like the Suns chances.

100% agree. :thumbup:

Too bad I didn't get to see that game but from what I've heard, Suns was out of control. Nash was out of control and so was D'Antoni.

Basically, we weren't prepared. But after that tough loss, I really can't picture Spurs blowing us out again.

Defense rotation definitely needs to improve and if I were Suns, I won't put Nash on Parker. Parker's penetration caused more problems to Suns than if Nash guarding Ginobli. I want JJ to guard Parker!

Jimmy

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me to see JJ guarding Parker, but I'm sure Amare has also learned to pick up Nash's man if Nash can't get through the illegal screens set by Duncan. In the 1st game, Amare just stayed close to Duncan and Parker went to the basket uncontested.

All I know is that I'm gonna be pissed if the Suns are kicking the Spurs butt again and Popovich blows up and gets a technical and then the refs change the entire game to the Spurs liking. Note to refs: Just because Popovich is unhappy that his team is losing doesn't mean you're not doing a good job.