Suns @ Knickerbockers 12-17-18

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What a blanket statement. It couldn't be further from the truth.

I was not referring to all Suns posters by any means as you seem to imply. Only mentioned three posters and not by name who continually berated Igor's coaching during the game.

I expect all the critics to come out tomorrow night when the Suns play a good Celtics team.
I did not say "all" ASFN posters.

As I seem to imply? That is not fair.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not say "all" ASFN posters.

As I seem to imply? That is not fair.

It seemed like you were using "ASFN posters" as a cover for the Igor critics tonight.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I recorded the game and just finished it. Holy crap, the defense in the third quarter! Offense was excellent too, but defense was incredible. That was just beautiful to watch. Booker, Warren, Ayton, and Crawford were outstanding on offense. Bridges and Homes were good all around. Three in a row, baby! Let's take the Celtics down next! Book can go for 80 now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol he's not looking like a mistake any longer? You kidding me? 3 wins and he's now worthy? 20 loses where we were complete crap don't mean a thing? Wow

So in 20 games you've come to the conclusion that he isn't worthy of being an NBA head coach? That's ridiculous. I didn't say he was worthy of anything. Bottom line is if we fired Igor this year then we would have one hell of a time finding anyone better than that to be our next head coach. Who would want to come here? Last year we fired the head coach in 3 games, can the interim at years end, hire another and give him a whole 30 games before deciding that was a mistake? Come on. I don't believe we're going backwards in terms of developing our young core and that's the main thing we needed to do this year, develop our young talent. That's happening now and if you don't see that and think hiring a new head coach is what they need then you clearly haven't heard JJ, Booker, Ayton, and others talk about the turnover and how it effects them.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Why are some people so hostile when it comes to Igor? Good Lord, this is bizarre. Igor Derangement Syndrome.
Apparently they can't be okay with a coach unless he does everything that they think he should. Of course if he does everything they want and the team still loses it will still be his fault anyways.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Crawford hadn't had more than 12 assists in a game prior to tonight. The last time he had 12 was when he played for the Knicks in March 2005, against the Heat he had 12. That's something. I knew the 14 was high for him but I didn't realize it was a career high and the last time he hit double digits was in January 2014, as a Clipper, playing the Raptors in Toronto.
Crawford was coaching the team in the third quarter. He seems to know where everybody should be better than anybody on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are some people so hostile when it comes to Igor? Good Lord, this is bizarre. Igor Derangement Syndrome.

I think some people don't want to be wrong. They swore Igor was a failure and for some reason won't change their mind, not realizing that's an option. It's ok to say you had something wrong or at least back off that stance some, I did! Some people don't want to do that though so they're doubling down almost. Igor MUST FAIL, dammit! If he doesn't then that means something... I don't know.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually it took 10 games for me to come to that conclusion. After about 30 games it's painfully obvious. Remember when Terry Porter was fired and he was 5 games above 500? I'm sure all of you knew just like I he was horrible. This is no different.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think some people don't want to be wrong. They swore Igor was a failure and for some reason won't change their mind, not realizing that's an option. It's ok to say you had something wrong or at least back off that stance some, I did! Some people don't want to do that though so they're doubling down almost. Igor MUST FAIL, dammit! If he doesn't then that means something... I don't know.

Yeah, I just can't understand that mindset. Nothing makes me happier than admitting I am wrong about someone on the Suns not being good. Oh well, three in a row, baby!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's amazing that after a historically bad stretch of 27 games, Igor Kokoskov is suddenly the answer at head coach after a modest winning streak against three bad-to-mediocre teams.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crawford was coaching the team in the third quarter. He seems to know where everybody should be better than anybody on the floor.

Careful there. The Igor apologists will take you to task for saying that...

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

He should know. Is it surprising to you that h knows how to run the offense? Or is it just a subtle dig?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Actually it took 10 games for me to come to that conclusion. After about 30 games it's painfully obvious. Remember when Terry Porter was fired and he was 5 games above 500? I'm sure all of you knew just like I he was horrible. This is no different.
Porter took a team that won 55 games the year prior and made it worse. Igor took over a team that was the worst in the league last year and had to implement a ton of new pieces this year. It was always going to take a while for this team to get going and now they are.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Igor should be given a fair chance, that's all. He is a first year head coach that needs more talent especially at point guard and power forward.

It doesn't help a couple of key veterans who are now gone may have let him down.

This team is trying to fight back and win some games. Suns fans should support them and let the chips fall where they may.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Igor should be given a fair chance, that's all. He is a first year head coach that needs more talent especially at point guard and power forward.

It doesn't help a couple of key veterans who are now gone may have let him down.

This team is trying to fight back and win some games. Suns fans should support them and let the chips fall where they may.

Understood, but doesn't it beg the question as to why the couple of key veterans let him down, particularly as the young players were regressing?

I just want this team in as much of a position as possible to succeed, and I don't think Igor as head coach accomplishes that. This team has enough to overcome without also having to overcome a weak coach who can't communicate and get his message across to his players on a consistent basis and who is slow to make necessary adjustments.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I just can't understand that mindset. Nothing makes me happier than admitting I am wrong about someone on the Suns not being good. Oh well, three in a row, baby!

I can't remember what thread it was in but I know just about 10 or so days ago some of the anti-Igor group finally came out and questioned if him being a foreigner was why the players didn't respond to him and seemingly why he was failing as a head coach. I know some of them casually mentioned things like a "language barrier" being an issue before but it wasn't until recently that people finally came out and said him being a foreigner was the reason behind the issues here. That's a lot to take back and I'm curious if that's why some won't back off the "Igor sucks" line of thinking. I know it was a delicate topic with how some people floated the idea and I'm not accusing anyone of being xenophobic or anything like that but I do remember hearing it not long ago, about 10-14 days ago, about Igor being a foreigner is why he's not working as a head coach. If someone went along with line of thinking and the win streak started, how do they not sound bad? I think the easiest way is saying "Oops, I was wrong" but who knows. I'll have to find that thread. I'm sure you've seen it though. It wasn't titled that or anything but it was discussed in detail in A thread and I can't recall which one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

to be fair... the first 25 games of the season were the worst basketball a lot of us have ever seen. It's not like dude hasn't deserved A LOT of criticism, but when the team wins 3 in a row, no reason to keep heaping it on at that point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what thread it was in but I know just about 10 or so days ago some of the anti-Igor group finally came out and questioned if him being a foreigner was why the players didn't respond to him and seemingly why he was failing as a head coach. I know some of them casually mentioned things like a "language barrier" being an issue before but it wasn't until recently that people finally came out and said him being a foreigner was the reason behind the issues here. That's a lot to take back and I'm curious if that's why some won't back off the "Igor sucks" line of thinking. I know it was a delicate topic with how some people floated the idea and I'm not accusing anyone of being xenophobic or anything like that but I do remember hearing it not long ago, about 10-14 days ago, about Igor being a foreigner is why he's not working as a head coach. If someone went along with line of thinking and the win streak started, how do they not sound bad? I think the easiest way is saying "Oops, I was wrong" but who knows. I'll have to find that thread. I'm sure you've seen it though. It wasn't titled that or anything but it was discussed in detail in A thread and I can't recall which one.

come on Poop. don't paint with a wide brush like that. I remember ONE poster who brought that up. Tarring and feathering any more than ONE OR TWO (likely @1Sun and maybe another) of the "anti-Igor" group with that slander does nothing but poison the conversation and is counter to the overwhelming majority of why people were "Anti".

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This isn't matter of nationalism or xenophobia for me. If Igor were a more effective communicator in the English language, I wouldn't have even raised the issue. However, it is painful listening to him try to answer questions in interviews and press conferences. He just doesn't have a fluent command of the English language. I was a Russian minor and can get by speaking the language in Russia, but never in a million years would I recommend myself for a full time position in Russia that requires a natural command of the Russian language in order to be effective.

And by the way, local radio hosts have also suggested it might be an issue, and I guarantee you they (Burns, Gambo, Doug Franz and Dan Bickley) are not nationalist or xenophobic, either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kudos to Jamal Crawford who had a career high 14 assists at 38 years old. Has anyone else set a career high mark in any positive stat at 38 years old?

He also just seems to love dishing out assists. It was never really his game but he is doing it well right now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
to be fair... the first 25 games of the season were the worst basketball a lot of us have ever seen. It's not like dude hasn't deserved A LOT of criticism, but when the team wins 3 in a row, no reason to keep heaping it on at that point.

The only reason I have been is that I have seen some of the same problems and coaching red flags in those games, different end results notwithstanding.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I have a few posters on ignore so I'm not seeing the whole argument, but those denying Igor's improvement as a head coach since the start of the season are either incredibly stubborn or just ignorant. Is he the perfect coach? Of course not. Is he improving? You bet your ass he is.

Most recent example, one thing I railed on him on earlier in the season was how he never used timeouts to curb other teams runs. He's done it in the last 2 games now. There's been lots of examples of him making adjustments. Progress, that's all I ask for, and he's showing it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05