Suns @ Knickerbockers 12-17-18

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kudos to Jamal Crawford who had a career high 14 assists at 38 years old. Has anyone else set a career high mark in any positive stat at 38 years old?

He also just seems to love dishing out assists. It was never really his game but he is doing it well right now.

With how well he's playing for us it would not surprise me if he gets a bigger deal to return here next year, or signed by a contender. It also wouldn't surprise me if he joins a coaching staff. I think that would be a great get for the Suns if he does retire, add him to Igor's staff as an Assistant. He clearly knows the game. This game shows that but it's not the first time he's been a leader like he was tonight. He's also very well spoken in interviews. If anyone has the chance to catch him doing any appearances or sees any soundbytes from him, they're worth a listen. I was never a fan of his but knew he had talent as a scorer. He looked finished last year in Minnesota in what I saw but I think Minnesota and Thibs just wears people down. I didn't like the signing here either but I'm a fan now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have a few posters on ignore so I'm not seeing the whole argument, but those denying Igor's improvement as a head coach since the start of the season are either incredibly stubborn or just ignorant. Is he the perfect coach? Of course not. Is he improving? You bet your ass he is.

Most recent example, one thing I railed on him on earlier in the season was how he never used timeouts to curb other teams runs. He's done it in the last 2 games now. There's been lots of examples of him making adjustments. Progress, that's all I ask for, and he's showing it.

The problem, from where I stand, is that we need a steady coach to teach the young players, not a coach who is trying to learn on the job the same way the players are.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few posters on ignore so I'm not seeing the whole argument

Yeah, my ignore list has recently grown to 3 and I'm missing most of the argument too. Not that I mind. It's kind of fun to guess who is saying what.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem, from where I stand, is that we need a steady coach to teach the young players, not a coach who is trying to learn on the job the same way the players are.

here's the sad reality... no "steady" coach is going to work for Sarver. So what we need and what we'll get are completely separate things.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
here's the sad reality... no "steady" coach is going to work for Sarver. So what we need and what we'll get are completely separate things.
I think they went the right route. As you said they were never going to get an already legit head coach. So they did the best thing they could have done in their position and went with an inexperienced coach that has some potential. It's been painful early, but we might be starting to see the upside of going with Igor.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ignore all you want ...I've never understood the whole I don't agree so I will ignore thing....odd but their right I guess. Look I want Igor to succeed cause that means my team is winning and competitive I could care less about not being to admit I'm wrong....I hope to God I am....I just don't think so. Let's hope the trend continues and we whip some C azz

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they went the right route. As you said they were never going to get an already legit head coach. So they did the best thing they could have done in their position and went with an inexperienced coach that has some potential. It's been painful early, but we might be starting to see the upside of going with Igor.

I can't say that at this point. If we see more upside with Igor, then okay, but remains to be seen if there's legit upside there. The last three games at least give me a sliver of hope where none existed for 6 weeks before.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ignore all you want ...I've never understood the whole I don't agree so I will ignore thing....odd but their right I guess. Look I want Igor to succeed cause that means my team is winning and competitive I could care less about not being to admit I'm wrong....I hope to God I am....I just don't think so. Let's hope the trend continues and we whip some C azz
That is not the reason certain individuals are on ignore. They are on ignore because they post the exact same comments over and over ad nauseam.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That is not the reason certain individuals are on ignore. They are on ignore because they post the exact same comments over and over ad nauseam.

Yep. I put 1Suns and then BC on ignore, and the board is much easier to read now. I am fine with someone disagreeing- that's what makes this fun, but I can't take the same post over and over and over again.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I can't say that at this point. If we see more upside with Igor, then okay, but remains to be seen if there's legit upside there. The last three games at least give me a sliver of hope where none existed for 6 weeks before.
Hence I said we "might" be starting to see the upside. Bottom line is that it was always pretty likely that it was going to take a while for things to start to click. We will see if the Suns can keep the momentum, but I think it is fair to say that no one saw a 3 game win streak coming as little as a week ago. Now let's see if they can keep it up.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Hence I said we "might" be starting to see the upside. Bottom line is that it was always pretty likely that it was going to take a while for things to start to click. We will see if the Suns can keep the momentum, but I think it is fair to say that no one saw a 3 game win streak coming as little as a week ago. Now let's see if they can keep it up.

I think it goes back to building on small victories. After the first seven games or so, we started seeing good possessions, good quarters, etc. Then we started seeing three good quarters and three and a half good quarters. I think we are just seeing those good things more often. I am very excited about the team now.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a few posters on ignore so I'm not seeing the whole argument, but those denying Igor's improvement as a head coach since the start of the season are either incredibly stubborn or just ignorant. Is he the perfect coach? Of course not. Is he improving? You bet your ass he is.

Most recent example, one thing I railed on him on earlier in the season was how he never used timeouts to curb other teams runs. He's done it in the last 2 games now. There's been lots of examples of him making adjustments. Progress, that's all I ask for, and he's showing it.

so, if the record was reversed, 24/7, and the suns had just lost 3 in a row, you'd say the coach was regressing?
i wouldn't

my assessment of Igor has never been founded in the team's wins and losses
i've always been very specific in my criticism

tonight for example:
Booker's 2nd game back after missing a bunch of games for the 2nd time this season and Igor played him 37 minutes, until the end of a blowout? to dominate the ball, instead of building the confidence of our younger players?

i don't have to be "stubborn or ignorant" to NOT be impressed that, after 30 games, Igor just NOW learned to "call time outs to curb other team's runs."

but i wouldn't deny Igor has improved since the start of the season
and i'm sure Igor will improve further by the end of the season
however, based on the abundance and frequency of things i believe he's doing wrong
i highly doubt i can respect him, or that the players will ever respect him enough

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
so, if the record was reversed, 24/7, and the suns had just lost 3 in a row, you'd say the coach was regressing?
i wouldn't

my assessment of Igor has never been founded in the team's wins and losses
I also am not assessing based on the team's wins and losses, but it's clear to me that the Suns are playing better with both ends of the floor as the year has progressed. Igor isn't the only reason for this, but I'll give him him credit for at least some of it.

i've always been very specific in my criticism

tonight for example:
Booker's 2nd game back after missing a bunch of games for the 2nd time this season and Igor played him 37 minutes, until the end of a blowout? to dominate the ball, instead of building the confidence of our younger players?
No argument here, there was at least one play where I thought booker winced and i was screaming for Igor to take him out. He appeared fine afterwards but it gave me the heeby-jeebies.

i don't have to be "stubborn or ignorant" to NOT be impressed that, after 30 games, Igor just NOW learned to "call time outs to curb other team's runs."

but i wouldn't deny Igor has improved since the start of the season
and i'm sure Igor will improve further by the end of the season
however, based on the abundance and frequency of things i believe he's doing wrong
i highly doubt i can respect him, or that the players will ever respect him enough
Then the previous post wasn't directed at you. Look, I'd love to have a Popovich, or a Rick Carlisle to be molding this team, but that's not happening this season. Now I'm rooting for the team to put a good run in, show progress, develop chemistry and good habits. As of right now, I believe firing the coach right now would not serve that purpose.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I also am not assessing based on the team's wins and losses, but it's clear to me that the Suns are playing better with both ends of the floor as the year has progressed. Igor isn't the only reason for this, but I'll give him him credit for at least some of it.

No argument here, there was at least one play where I thought booker winced and i was screaming for Igor to take him out. He appeared fine afterwards but it gave me the heeby-jeebies.

Then the previous post wasn't directed at you. Look, I'd love to have a Popovich, or a Rick Carlisle to be molding this team, but that's not happening this season. Now I'm rooting for the team to put a good run in, show progress, develop chemistry and good habits. As of right now, I believe firing the coach right now would not serve that purpose.

that's fair. i don't know if the team worked some things out with Igor or despite him, but their effort is significantly better and as long as they are competing like they have been the past 2 weeks the games are a pleasure to watch.

regardless of how this season turns out, my wish next season, however, is for a new coach that is at least average, a new point guard that is better than average, and a legit shot at the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Book is just sooooo aggressive. I love it. As a result he’s starting to get star calls. Love that even more.

One nice thing I noticed, in the first half even when knicks playing well the suns just didn’t let me pull away. Earlier in the season that likely would’ve happened.

3 in a row!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If any coach can get a Suns team to play real defense and be a real defensive team, I am all in. I haven’t seen it in almost 40 years of watching Suns basketball. Just the novelty of it would be entertaining.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

Clearly, the jury is still out on Igor as a head coach. That said, the guy was hired because he's a developmental coach. He personally tutored Donovan Mitchell last year.

I hope it turns out well, because there are a lot of guys in need of development.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
looks like Ayton is making big strides, now needs to improve conditioning first and foremost.

Josh Jackson with 0 turnovers and a good shooting game is a big reason we won, much easier to win when your own players are not consistently killing you.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
looks like Ayton is making big strides, now needs to improve conditioning first and foremost.

Josh Jackson with 0 turnovers and a good shooting game is a big reason we won, much easier to win when your own players are not consistently killing you.

Absolutely.

The Suns biggest problem wasn't their offensive lack of strategy or defensive schemes, it was that they were giving away 10-20 possessions per game with sloppy stupid ball handling and passing and then not bothering to get back on defense after losing possession.

The biggest difference over the last few weeks is that guys are simply showing effort in transition and not trying to be heroes so often with the ball. To Koko's credit, I think a lot of that has come from him tightening up the rotations and clearly rewarding guys who are putting out consistent effort.

Ayton has played a lot harder of late, especially on D and IMO it's because Holmes non-stop hustle has forced him to stop coasting and waiting for teammates to get him involved.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Maybe Holmes is rubbing off on him, or maybe he just got accustomed. Despite an outgoing personality, Ayton seems to still simply be shy when it comes towards playing against veterans, giving them way too much respect.

TJ Warren is a great example why teams need to be careful about writing off young players still on rookie contracts. TJ played 3 years in college and still needed the full 4 years on his rookie deal to become a really good player.

Mudiay looks much better recently.

It has to give you hope about Josh Jackson, talent is there. Eventually it will click.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05