Suns looking to re-aquire Finley

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Yeah, you still don't get it.

Tell you what. Let's make a bet that Finley or Jim Jackson will be in the starting lineup next year...oh, wait. :p

Maybe you're thinking about another team. SG/SF easily our biggest need? You're smoking!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese I agree with your last post. I think Michael Finley would be a great addition for a small chunk of change. I still think they need at least one more quality player at the 4/5 to go along with him. I think most people on this board would agree with that. I don't agree that they need another backup point guard. It would be nice, but I would rather have another versatile swingman. We all know they like Joe Johnson handling the point, and they are talking about using Amare as a point center. Jimmy Jackson can also handle the ball. Yes, there were times last year where the Phoenix Suns looked completely lost without Steve Nash in the game, but towards the end of the season they were better in that department.

Let's see if I can do better with my math this time...

4/5: 96 minutes
36 minutes - Amare Stoudemire
30 minutes - Kurt Thomas
10 minutes - Shawn Marion
20 minutes - free-agent

2/3: 96 minutes
26 minutes - Shawn Marion
24 minutes - Joe Johnson
26 minutes - Michael Finley
20 minutes - Jim Jackson

1: 48 minutes
32 minutes - Steve Nash
12 minutes - Joe Johnson
4 minutes - Jim Jackson

That doesn't leave any time for Barbosa unless there are some injury problems. It also leaves Jim Jackson with just 24 minutes per game and Finley with just 26. Perhaps we take a few minutes from the free-agent forward/center during the regular season. I don't know. I do think that could be a very good team though. They would also be well protected in case of injury as long as they get a quality frontcourt player.

Joe Mama

fordronken

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Finley won't sign for the minimum. We're talking about signing him for the MLE in this thread. :shrug:

[Stabbing myself in the chest with a knife 600 times]

Didn't we already talk about this!? He can't make more money. He can't double dip contracts. Repeat after me: The money is irrelevant...the money is irrelevant...

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
fordronken said:

Didn't we already talk about this!? He can't make more money. He can't double dip contracts. Repeat after me: The money is irrelevant...the money is irrelevant...

My understanding is that he can double-dip. Cuban gets half, but Finley gets half too.

If we're talking about the vet's minimum, why is anybody objecting?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Let's see if I can do better with my math this time...

Try this.

C/PF: Amare 38, Marion 28, KT 30
SF/SG: Joe J 35, Finley 27, Jim Jackson 27, Marion 7
PG: Nash 34, Barbosa 14

:shrug:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:

I need to go find this thread because I thought I read that the new contract, say $5 million, gets split between Cuban and the new team. So if he was making $15 million from his contract with the Mavericks he would get $17.5 million. Where did I get that idea?

Is it the instead that Cuban would pay $12.5 million, and the new team would pay $2.5 million to total $15 million? If that's the case than he will almost surely sign for the minimum which will only cost his new team roughly half of whatever the new veteran minimum is in the new CBA. It would be something like that anyhow.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I need to go find this thread because I thought I read that the new contract, say $5 million, gets split between Cuban and the new team. So if he was making $15 million from his contract with the Mavericks he would get $17.5 million. Where did I get that idea?

I don't know where you got the idea, but it's a load.

Is it the instead that Cuban would pay $12.5 million, and the new team would pay $2.5 million to total $15 million? If that's the case than he will almost surely sign for the minimum

Unless I'm mistaken, this is how it always works when a player clears waivers.

fordronken

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
My understanding is that he can double-dip. Cuban gets half, but Finley gets half too.

If we're talking about the vet's minimum, why is anybody objecting?

If that's the case, then I apologize. Is there any way to find a definitive answer on this?

Were we to have to actually pay for him, I could justify a low level exception. No more than that, though.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Coon's FAQ #53:

If no team claims a waived player, he is said to have "cleared waivers." The player may sign with the team of his choice at that point. The player's new team only pays the pro-rated minimum salary to the player. The player's original team continues to pay the balance of the player's salary. For this reason, few players are actually claimed while on waivers.

It can't get much clearer than that.

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Coon's FAQ #53:

If no team claims a waived player, he is said to have "cleared waivers." The player may sign with the team of his choice at that point. The player's new team only pays the pro-rated minimum salary to the player. The player's original team continues to pay the balance of the player's salary. For this reason, few players are actually claimed while on waivers.

It can't get much clearer than that.

Yes! So, I refer to my earlier statments. What the hell is the problem with signing him for the minimum?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Yes! So, I refer to my earlier statments. What the hell is the problem with signing him for the minimum?

Personally, I'd like to see who else is "Finley'd" before we just go out and lock down that roster spot. I just don't want to see him on the court missing wide open jumpers in the playoffs like he's accustomed to doing - no matter what point in the game it is. That'smy fear. That and he'll take away minutes from JJ2 who I think is vital to this club.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Fins would be great for this team, especially at the minimum. If Payton would play for the LLE and sign some 4/5 for the MLE, we'd be set....

Starters:

Nash-Johnson-Marion-Stoudemire-Thomas

Reserves:

Payton-Jackson-Finley-Hunter-Barbosa-Thompson-Voskuhl(?)-MLE-RFA

Kolo

Reaction score
I just found this online, from a site that looks legit--under the CBA, waived payers sign for the minimum and the team that waives pays the rest of the salary for the duration of the contract. So Finley will be signing for the minimum no matter where he goes.

53. What are waivers?
It's a temporary status for players who are released by their team. A player released between August 15th and the end of the regular season stays on waivers for 48 hours. A player released at any other time stays on waivers for 10 days. During the waiver period other teams may claim a waived player. If more than one team tries to claim the player, the team with the worst record gets him. If a player on waivers is claimed, the new team acquires his existing contract and pays the remainder of his salary. There is also a fee of $1,000, payable to the league office, for claiming a waived player.

A team can claim a waived player only if one of the following is true:

The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.

The team has a disabled player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 17 ).

The team has a trade exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 68 ).

The player's contract is for one or two seasons and he is paid the minimum salary.

If a player is waived after March 1, he is ineligible to be included in the playoff roster of any team that signs him for the remainder of that season.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone else has said it yet, but i feel like the rest of next year's roster will probably be filled up with veterans at the minimum going for a champion (Like the lakers did bringing on Payton and Malone) as well as undrafted scrubs to fill in those extra spots.

There seems to be a few players that teams plan to waive that the suns will take a serious look at. (ex. Finley (obviously), B. Grant (if hes waived), etc..)

Theres also veteran free agents looking for a ring. (ex. Payton, D. Armstrong, etc...)

I guess my point is that the suns will probably be focusing on recruiting veterans who want to form a team with the sole purpose of winning a ring this upcoming year. Veterans who will play for the minimum and want to win a ring more than trying to get a big contract.

I dont really see them making anymore trades and im not even sure they will actively look to use the exception unless its to sign hunter. Im sure at this point they feel they have their core players and the major parts of a solid rotation and are just looking for extra players who will contribute to their system more than jake or bo or mcCarty did.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, another name being thrown around as a possibility to be waived his Brian Grant. He didn't do squat last year. He's also getting older, had injuries, and he's really not a center. However when he's healthy he is tough as nails, and he can knock down a midrange jumper consistently. I'm not saying I like him. He might be a possibility though.

Eddie Jones is someone else who's likely to get waived. He might be a better defender at the 2 than Finley at this point. I think Finley would probably be a better fit though.

I wouldn't really want Houston. He is a great shooter, but I think you would spend most of the time on and off of the inactive list.

Derek Anderson doesn't do much for me, and it's unlikely anybody from Portland gets waived anyhow

Cheese, you'll love this one. How about Austin Croshere? :) Unfortunately he's someone that wouldn't surprise me.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Cheese, you'll love this one. How about Austin Croshere?

FINALLY - I've been waiting for someone to finally point out a 6'9 USA White PF who played and contributed on a contender! There it is (although for only a year when he was younger).

Honestly - if this was 4 years ago, I wouldn't mind Croshere on this team, but he's just too old now... doesn't have that same spring in his step.

Oh - and I'll take FInley if it means we definitely aren't taking CJ back.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Croshere, LOL, I'd forgotten about him. Yeah, he's a candidate.

I used to love Brian Grant, but I just don't think he can play anymore. Too many injuries have taken their toll.

Finley is a better fit than Jones, mainly because he's a slightly better shooter and has a bit more gas left in the tank.

Kolo

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
FINALLY - I've been waiting for someone to finally point out a 6'9 USA White PF who played and contributed on a contender! There it is (although for only a year when he was younger).

Honestly - if this was 4 years ago, I wouldn't mind Croshere on this team, but he's just too old now... doesn't have that same spring in his step.

Oh - and I'll take FInley if it means we definitely aren't taking CJ back.

cheese--and you may have covered this earlier--assuming you admit we at least need depth on the wing--what option do we have that's better than Finley?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
cheese--and you may have covered this earlier--assuming you admit we at least need depth on the wing--what option do we have that's better than Finley?

I don't know what's going to be out there. Honestly, if it's just for the minimum, I don't have that big of a problem with the signing, although I'd rather see us pick-up GP. I don't believe you need more than one backup PG, one backup swing man (JJ2) and one backup PF/C in order to be successful and unlike a lot of people here, I do think Payton playing 25 minutes a night would be dynamite rather than running JJ or JJ2 out there at the point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I don't know what's going to be out there. Honestly, if it's just for the minimum, I don't have that big of a problem with the signing, although I'd rather see us pick-up GP. I don't believe you need more than one backup PG, one backup swing man (JJ2) and one backup PF/C in order to be successful and unlike a lot of people here, I do think Payton playing 25 minutes a night would be dynamite rather than running JJ or JJ2 out there at the point.

I actually somewhat agree, although the more I think about it, the more I am warming to the idea of Finley signing here. It's basically a very low financial commitment to someone who could be a very high reward player. Nobody can say that Michael Finley traditionally isn't worth more than the vet minimum.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I actually somewhat agree, although the more I think about it, the more I am warming to the idea of Finley signing here. It's basically a very low financial commitment to someone who could be a very high reward player. Nobody can say that Michael Finley traditionally isn't worth more than the vet minimum.
You know, this year names get thrown out as available and my knee jerk reaction is, we could do better than that. Then I look around at who is/will be available and I see the player suggested isn't half bad compared to the rest of the chaff. Is it me, or does this year's crop of free agents seem uninspiring? :shrug:

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Could someone here that's stat savoy, please look up the amount of minutes Finley played last year. I'm not trying to be being lazy about it, I just don't know where to look.

I'm wondering if Finley would want to be a starter or if he would be okay with coming off the bench for 20 minutes a game.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Mad Psyentist said:
I dont know if anyone else has said it yet, but i feel like the rest of next year's roster will probably be filled up with veterans at the minimum going for a champion (Like the lakers did bringing on Payton and Malone) as well as undrafted scrubs to fill in those extra spots.

There is nothing wrong with that. With our starting five, and a bunch of guys hungry for a championship we can beat teams. We'll go to the finals, IMO, if that can happen.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
Could someone here that's stat savoy, please look up the amount of minutes Finley played last year. I'm not trying to be being lazy about it, I just don't know where to look.

I'm wondering if Finley would want to be a starter or if he would be okay with coming off the bench for 20 minutes a game.

Last season he got 36.8 MPG.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/index.html?nav=page

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This was posted by F-Dog in the other thread "Finley?":

F-Dog said:
I don't have any illusions as to what it's going to take to get Finley, though. Finley will expect the MLE, possibly for four years (the special waiver rule says he'll get half of what he signs for while his old contract runs). He'll probably demand to start, too, although I'm not convinced that would be a problem for the Suns.

I don't know if it's been confirmed or not, but it's what lead to the double dipping speculation.