Suns looking to re-aquire Finley

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
This was posted by F-Dog in the other thread "Finley?":

I don't know if it's been confirmed or not, but it's what lead to the double dipping speculation.
In another thread someone posted the CBA language and the team the recieves the waived player pays whatever minimum his tenure in the NBA requires. The team that waived him pays the remainder of the salary. Thus the player gets the same amount, not any more.

Something I wonder, is a player obligated to play for the team with the worst record who claims him off waivers. Say us and team X wants Finley, we both put in a claim, the other team gets him due to worse record? Since we have the best record we would get screwed in that scenario! I realize the other teams still have to be under the cap, etc. However, there are teams that could do this to us. ;)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we claimed him off of waivers then we'd take on his full $51 million salary for the next 3 years (so would any other team). If a team with a worse record claimed him then they would get him, but I don't think anyone wants to take on his contract. So once he clears waivers (the amount of time "on waivers" varies by player) he's a FA and can sign with any team he chooses.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma, the way I understand it once the player clears waivers he is an unrestricted free agent. He can sign with whichever team he wants as long as they want him. It doesn't matter who offers what or the record of the teams. It's the players prerogative.

Joe Mama

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
If we claimed him off of waivers then we'd take on his full $51 million salary for the next 3 years (so would any other team). If a team with a worse record claimed him then they would get him, but I don't think anyone wants to take on his contract. So once he clears waivers (the amount of time "on waivers" varies by player) he's a FA and can sign with any team he chooses.
Cool! I wasn't sure the waiver process in the NBA. I am more an NFL geek on those things! ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Yuma, the way I understand it once the player clears waivers he is an unrestricted free agent. He can sign with whichever team he wants as long as they want him. It doesn't matter who offers what or the record of the teams. It's the players prerogative.

Joe Mama
thanks, I had seen the part about being a free agent once they cleared waivers, I just didn't know if someone could claim him off waivers ahead of us and still sign him to the minimum salary with this one time exception this year. :D

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
i would have no objections if Finley signed with us for the veteran minium

sure he is not the player he once used to be but i think he can be a valuable guy off the bench

i like the fact that when nash goes to the bench, we can have three guys (JJ-PG // JJ2-SG // Finley-SF) who are all pretty decent ballhandlers and make plays by passing the ball

last season he was also ranked #16th in 3 point shooting with .407 so we know he will be able to make up for the loss of Q's 3 point shooting (with higher accuracy might i add)

its kind of wierd that we might be brining back another ex suns

what other ex-suns shall we bring back? (Robert Horry anyone :p...hehe)

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I agree FA does offset a lot of things. Finley is a lot better mid range shooter than Q. I always wondered why Q jacked up so many 3's and it is that he was not able to create a shot for himself in the stain. Finley still elevates well on his jumper, something that helps a player get a shot off with a defender in his face. Q had to have a clear view and proved it in winning the 3pt. contest.

If it were actually a trade of Finley and Nate Robinson for Kurt Thomas and Q, I would imagine that the majority on this board would accept that deal.

Denver is going to make a run at Finley as well (the Kiki connection), I just feel the Suns are in a much better position to obtain Fins. Nash in on the court with him, Kiki is in the executive suite where he has no relation with him when it counts. The Nuggets are not like the Suns in the front office, there are not a lot of former Nuggets within the organization. I don't think there is any other franchise that has some many former players hanging around the team, be it in management, TV, radio etc. Even Barkely attends several games, the Suns have the upper hand, no question.

what is kiki's relation to finley?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Denver is going to make a run at Finley as well (the Kiki connection), I just feel the Suns are in a much better position to obtain Fins. Nash in on the court with him, Kiki is in the executive suite where he has no relation with him when it counts. The Nuggets are not like the Suns in the front office, there are not a lot of former Nuggets within the organization. I don't think there is any other franchise that has some many former players hanging around the team, be it in management, TV, radio etc. Even Barkely attends several games, the Suns have the upper hand, no question.
Although Finley would likely start in Denver as opposed to Phoenix where he'll be sharing time with an already crowded backcourt.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I just dn't see the reason to lvoe this guy simply because he played on the Suns years back. To me - that wreaks of Cardinal fan thinking. Screw nostalgia - live in the present and look toward the bright future.

You could have said this about Nash last summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
You could have said this about Nash last summer.

I think it's vastly different. Nash was one of the most sought after FA and atop the list of available guys and would fill a HUGE gaping hole for us. Finley is netiher of those. We have a backup swingman and he's on his last legs, having constant injury problems, really through his entire career.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I think it's vastly different. Nash was one of the most sought after FA and atop the list of available guys and would fill a HUGE gaping hole for us. Finley is netiher of those. We have a backup swingman and he's on his last legs, having constant injury problems, really through his entire career.

I think you're selling him short--you have a point, but it isn't nearly as extreme as you make it out to be. Finley is still a starter on a good high-scoring team right now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I think you're selling him short--you have a point, but it isn't nearly as extreme as you make it out to be. Finley is still a starter on a good high-scoring team right now.

yeah - but ultimately he's expendable apparently... though so was Nash... and I was pretty dead wrong on that move... SIGN HIS ASS!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
yeah - but ultimately he's expendable apparently... though so was Nash... and I was pretty dead wrong on that move... SIGN HIS ASS!

I think it's not the player that's expendable, it's the contract. Nobody is saying he's worth what he's currently making, but the minimum? Definitely!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
This was posted by F-Dog in the other thread "Finley?"...I don't know if it's been confirmed or not, but it's what lead to the double dipping speculation.

I guess I've been looking at Mavericks boards to see what the story is with Finley, so I probably got this info there.

Those guys aren't infallible, of course, so I could easily be wrong...or not. :shrug:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

You're right about it being vastly different. Finley is not a top tier player like Nash but he also wouldn't cost top player $.

It seems like the most important factor to consider when signing a free agentr in the NBA these days is VALUE not ability.

Is Finley a good value for this team at the min. or even a little bit more?

Probably more so than Nash at what the SUns paid.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
So let me see, the team doesn't want the 1st Round Pick to save money but will go out and spend it in FA for a 10 year older and less value player... I'm in. :rolleyes:

asudevil83

Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
So let me see, the team doesn't want the 1st Round Pick to save money but will go out and spend it in FA for a 10 year older and less value player... I'm in. :rolleyes:

i see what you are saying....but the team is in "win now" mode. a ten year vet would be more valuable NOW than a rookie. but in a couple of years, that rookie would seem mighty nice.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns are building to win it in the next 1-2 years, and I really don't blame them. In about 3 years Nash's minutes will be considerably lower, and the chances of the Suns winning a Championship will start to go down.

Bring in Finley! He can do everything that Q was doing, at least. I'd also like to see Payton. (and I think we will.)

Nash
Johnson
Marion
Amare
Thomas

Payton
Jackson
Finley
?? Free Agent ??
?? Free Agent ??

Barbosa
Thompson

Thats a good start. Fill in the 2 FA spots with decent players and I think you're looking at a Suns team in the finals next year. I think that next year they'll start looking for Nash's replacement. Groom him for about 2-3 years, and let him take over. Nash will become the perfect vet who plays limited minutes, and still contributes. (Stockton anyone?)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilalum said:
You're right about it being vastly different. Finley is not a top tier player like Nash but he also wouldn't cost top player $.

It seems like the most important factor to consider when signing a free agentr in the NBA these days is VALUE not ability.

Is Finley a good value for this team at the min. or even a little bit more?

Probably more so than Nash at what the SUns paid.
I wonder if Finley is going to take the minimum as everyone suggests he will. If Cleveland whiffs on Shuttlesworth, JJ, and Redd I'm guessing they'll flirt with Finley next. Even if not in Cleveland I imagine others will offer him more than $1.5 million.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I wonder if Finley is going to take the minimum as everyone suggests he will. If Cleveland whiffs on Shuttlesworth, JJ, and Redd I'm guessing they'll flirt with Finley next. Even if not in Cleveland I imagine others will offer him more than $1.5 million.

And again, it won't matter how much he's offered, he'll receive the same amount no matter where he's at. This has been stated ad nauseum today.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And again, it won't matter how much he's offered, he'll receive the same amount no matter where he's at. This has been stated ad nauseum today.
Sorry, been at work and haven't been thoroughly reading all the threads.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming the issue is minutes rather than money (the rules sure look that way), then Finley's minutes would be directly related to the degree the Suns stay with the speed lineup. It's not out of the question that if the surgery on his ankle is a success, Finley could start in the speed lineup with JJax backing up all three wing positions.

In a seven man rotation:

C - Stoudemire
PF - Marion
SF - Finley
SG - Johnson
PG - Has

KT backs up Stoudemire and Marion

Marion moves to SF when Stoudemire and KT are on the floor in the big lineup

Jackson backs up JJ, Nash, plus Finley when they use the small lineup.

asudevil83

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Sorry, been at work and haven't been thoroughly reading all the threads.

and besides, the most a waived player can make after being waved is the vet min, up until the point where their contract would expire.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Payton is a washup has been malcontent who can't accept the game has passed him by, good thing for him he has fans in Phoenix who still think this is 1991.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Payton is a washup has been malcontent who can't accept the game has passed him by, good thing for him he has fans in Phoenix who still think this is 1991.

I think you've mixed up Payton with Spree. what you are saying could be applied to payton a couple of years ago....but today, i really think he's realized that he is nothing more than a role player. he hasnt demanded anything more than the MLE, and hasnt said anything about starting on this team.

only a FOOL would think that they could sign with the suns and expect to start over JJ and Nash.....and anyone who thinks payton is that way is a FOOL.